Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,934 members, 7,799,157 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Import From China In 3 Steps - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Import From China In 3 Steps (4026 Views)

3 Steps To Attracting New Customers For Your Business / What Can I Import From New York And Sell In Nigeria? / * (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 4:43am On Dec 01, 2015
Step #1 – Find a Chinese supplier

It’s hard to get a feeling for a product by simply looking at a photo and ordering samples. This is quite an expensive method. Personally I would suggest you to actually come to China and visit a number of suppliers. When you plan your business trip to China, you basically have two options:

Option A: Trade Fairs

Attending a Trade Fair is a highly efficient way to find suppliers in China. You can visit plenty of suppliers and check out their samples under one roof. The drawback is that you don’t get to see their factory and an expensive looking booth doesn’t always equal a “good supplier”. You can find a list of all trade fairs and dates here; http://10times.com/china/tradeshows or http://www.china-fairs.com/

Option B: Independent business trip

Chinese suppliers are in general quite informal and open to visiting clients. You can basically walk right into their office. However, visiting suppliers in China is an art in its own form and you need to make some preparations before you book your flight. Source suppliers in Guangdong, Hong Kong, Shandong and Shanghai. Suppliers on the east coast are in general more experienced and offer products with higher quality compared to inland suppliers in Anhui, Henan, Jiangxi and Sichuan. Confirm product specifications, certification and negotiate prices before you arrive in China. You certainly want to weed out “bad suppliers” as early as possible and therefore avoid wasting precious time visiting suppliers that cannot comply with your requirements to begin with.

Step #2 – Product Standardization

Importing goods from China is not like driving to the market, pick your favorite product and then get it delivered same day or next day. Chinese suppliers are accustomed to manufacturing products based on the buyer’s specifications. The supplier expects you to select materials, colors and components. If you don’t they will do it for you and the result could be disastrous. Buying furniture for example; The cover material legs and foam; decides the factory price, the quality and even whether the product is legal to import and sell in your country. Keep in mind that some countries and markets have strict product regulations and in the case of furniture you need to ensure that the foam is fire retardant.

Here are a few fire retardant standards: USA CA117 (United States), BS5852 (United Kingdom),M1 (European Union)
However, most Chinese suppliers are manufacturing products primarily for the domestic market. Thus, few (often less than 5%) are able to comply with US and European standards. If you don’t know how to source compliant suppliers on your own, you can hire a recommendable sourcing agent which includes sourcing of compliant furniture suppliers in China.

One more thing! Some products like clothes and furniture are design protected, but some Chinese suppliers aren’t hesitating to market and export their unauthorized reproductions. This is especially common for classic designs such as the Gucci, Prada, etc. Keep in mind that you, the importer is always held responsible and this responsibility cannot be transferred to a foreign supplier.

Step #3 – Shipping

High volume products can only be shipped by sea. Furniture for example is a high volume product so forget about air freight. Even the viability of LCL(less-than-container-load) sea freight could be questioned. Keep in mind that LCL shipping looks really cheap on a quotation from a Chinese supplier, but when the cargo arrives in the port of destination you’ll be charged up to 300 dollars per cubic meter.

High volume cargo shipped in containers by sea, measured in cbm. Low volume and sensitive equipment/cargo may be shipped by air, measured in kilograms. Basic documentation required; invoices, packing list, bill of lading/airway bill, product standards certificate, china customs clearance, shipping fees receipts, insurance receipts. Tracking your cargo; track according to method of shipment. Cargo can be traced online via www.track-trace.com or via shipper’s website. Another important thing is the export packing. Furniture for example are heavy and stacking a bunch of leather sofas might not be a good idea. Request your supplier to clearly specify which export packing they intend to use. I’ve seen Chinese furniture supplier use cheap and substandard export packing before, which almost ruined an order of a client.

Culled from: www.afrikchinaimport..com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 4:45am On Dec 01, 2015
cc: Mods. front page. Important for youth empowerment .

Beginner SME advice,
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by ojoyentalk: 6:01am On Dec 01, 2015
China all the way
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by Infinitikoncept(m): 6:55am On Dec 01, 2015
So after all these information, how do I get to China?
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by dhtglobal(m): 8:09am On Dec 01, 2015
AfrikChina:
cc: Mods. front page. Important for youth empowerment .

Beginner SME advice,
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by arisanate(m): 8:26am On Dec 01, 2015
Please the main point there is how do some one get to china and how much will it cost, thanks smiley
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 9:25am On Dec 01, 2015
arisanate:
Please the main point there is how do some one get to china and how much will it cost, thanks smiley

Do you want to attend a trade fair ? Check dates here; http://10times.com/china/tradeshows or http://www.china-fairs.com/

Are you planning an independent business trip? Go here for further information : www.afrikchinaimport..com

Visa via agent 300k
Sourcing agent information/assistance 70-135k depends on purchase/production plan
Return ticket 280k
Hotel 11k/day
Transport/Feeding 7k/day

What product do you want to import? Quantity?

In order to maximize cost of business trip and weed out bad suppliers, a beginner SME should engage a sourcing agent as guide on first visit.

Delicate and small packages for air cargo: phones, jewellery, hair extensions, tablet computers, toys, clothing etc

Budget for beginner SME: 1M

Heavy and large cargo for sea freight: furniture, car parts, building materials, generators, solar equipment etc

Budget for beginner SME: 2-4 M

Hope this helps. All cost in Naira.
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by uchman(m): 10:38am On Dec 01, 2015
AfrikChina:

Do you want to attend a trade fair ? Check dates here; http://10times.com/china/tradeshows or http://www.china-fairs.com/

Are you planning an independent business trip? Go here for further information : www.afrikchinaimport..com

Visa via agent 300k
Sourcing agent information/assistance 70-135k depends on purchase/production plan
Return ticket 280k
Hotel 11k/day
Transport/Feeding 7k/day

What product do you want to import? Quantity?

In order to maximize cost of business trip and weed out bad suppliers, a beginner SME should engage a sourcing agent as guide on first visit.

Delicate and small packages for air cargo: phones, jewellery, hair extensions, tablet computers, toys, clothing etc

Budget for beginner SME: 1M

Heavy and large cargo for sea freight: furniture, car parts, building materials, generators, solar equipment etc

Budget for beginner SME: 2-4 M

Hope this helps. All cost in Naira.

Hello Op,

Thanks for this wonderful thread...
I resides in Dubai with UAE resident visa...I have been into the importation of electrical materials for long like wires, switches,sockets,plugs, lightings both indoors and outdoors etc...

I have a registered business in Nigeria with CAC (corporate affairs commission) certificate and tax clearance...

I have a Nigerian account with an inflow of more than #200,000 Naira daily...

And a UAE account with valid UAE health insurance...
I also have some ties in Nigeria like already built house and an empty land....

I will love to visit China on February 2016 on business visa, so I can import electrical materials...

How do I go about it with or without an agent??

I thought I could be able to do it myself but if possible, how can I secure genuine and sure business letter of invitation from an electrical manufacturing company??

Please any suggestion,response will be welcomed...

Thanks
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 12:53pm On Dec 01, 2015
Nice talking to you Uchman. Looking forward to your email and further discussions.

Please note: Invitation Letter issued by a random Supplier met online may not be honored by the Chinese Embassy in Nigeria. It is necessary to verify a supplier whose registered capital and company liability is legally authorized to issue an invitation to a beginner SME.

Some suppliers may even request you to transfer part payment for goods and issue an invitation letter which could be rejected by the Chinese Embassy in Nigeria.

Further info here; www.afrikchinaimport..com

uchman:

Hello Op,
Thanks for this wonderful thread...
I resides in Dubai with UAE resident visa...I have been into the importation of electrical materials for long like wires, switches,sockets,plugs, lightings both indoors and outdoors etc...
I have a registered business in Nigeria with CAC (corporate affairs commission) certificate and tax clearance...
I have a Nigerian account with an inflow of more than #200,000 Naira daily...
And a UAE account with valid UAE health insurance...
I also have some ties in Nigeria like already built house and an empty land....
I will love to visit China on February 2016 on business visa, so I can import electrical materials...
How do I go about it with or without an agent??
I thought I could be able to do it myself but if possible, how can I secure genuine and sure business letter of invitation from an electrical manufacturing company??
Please any suggestion,response will be welcomed...
Thanks
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 12:57pm On Dec 01, 2015
You may also read up FAQs for startups here;

https://www.nairaland.com/2773036/startups-top-10-frequently-asked
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by lucien4scaffold(m): 8:12am On Dec 08, 2015
Great articles,and I am a Scaffolding products for building and construction supplier from Shandong,China,we are enjoying lots of customers from Nigeria,and hope our quality Scaffolding products can help to build a better Nigeria,God bless,Nigeria.

Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 9:53am On Dec 08, 2015
Get accurate data and product information from verified manufacturers or suppliers.

Contact us: orderchina1@yahoo.com

Read more: afrikchinaimport..com
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 10:11am On Dec 08, 2015
Why do you need a contract with a Chinese supplier?

Here are 4 good reasons;

1. Avoid misunderstandings about product standards: Check materials, design, colors, packing, language, some quality issues which need to be explained in a contract.

2. Compensation for mistakes or cutting corners: A supplier must be careful not to go against the customer's product specifications, he should be aware of how much money he would lose in the case of using sub standard material for product. All that should be stated in the contract as penalty.

3. Avoid time wasting: The contract should include a late delivery clause, starting from date of deposit. Around 1% of total amount of order should be deducted for late delivery.

4. Serious business: A contract normally sends a message that you take your business very serious. If you are not serious then why should the supplier be?

Minimize your risks today, contact us at orderchina1@yahoo.com for professional assistance, china visit plan, sourcing and verification of suppliers etc.

Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by Freaknasty: 12:00am On Dec 10, 2015
Good
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 4:54am On Dec 29, 2015
AfrikChina:
Why do you need a contract with a Chinese supplier?

Here are 4 good reasons;

1. Avoid misunderstandings about product standards: Check materials, design, colors, packing, language, some quality issues which need to be explained in a contract.

2. Compensation for mistakes or cutting corners: A supplier must be careful not to go against the customer's product specifications, he should be aware of how much money he would lose in the case of using sub standard material for product. All that should be stated in the contract as penalty.

3. Avoid time wasting: The contract should include a late delivery clause, starting from date of deposit. Around 1% of total amount of order should be deducted for late delivery.

4. Serious business: A contract normally sends a message that you take your business very serious. If you are not serious then why should the supplier be?

Minimize your risks today, contact us at orderchina1@yahoo.com for professional assistance, china visit plan, sourcing and verification of suppliers etc.

Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 5:38am On Dec 29, 2015
Re: Import From China In 3 Steps by AfrikChina: 5:40am On Dec 29, 2015

(1) (Reply)

ASI Sheds 1.10%, Extending Bearish Run To Three Trading Sessions. / Sell Ur Itunes Card, Amazon, Ebay Etc For Instant Payment / Forex Trading: Profitable Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.