Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) (22481 Views)

Inside The Abuja School Where Kids Study Under Trees (photo) / Ogun School Where Pupils Learn Under Mango Tree Despite N30M Allocation / At Kwaita-hausa FCT, Pupils Learn Under Tree (photo)-daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by ijustdey: 3:59pm On Dec 02, 2015
By Evangeline Anumba

The chant of their learning by rote tears the air around. The children learn in an environment characterized by dirt, foul odour and outdoors; yet, they recite the lines handed out by their teacher excitedly with their eyes readily fixed on the teacher for more instructions.

The children sit on bare floor with paper and pencil in their hands, learning and writing but the thought you are left with, is how they cope when it rains and in the blazing Abuja sun.

While some barely have clothes on, with mucus running down their noses and trace of tears on their faces, some with visible skin infection on their heads and body due to poor hygiene, they still recite their two- letter words and other basics with enthusiasm.

The centre, which is divided into four classes of nursery one to primary one, while the older class is under a barely completed zinc house. With less than five tables, learning and sweating in the scorching sun blend to make classes bitter and painful. The younger ones are seated outside under the tree.

This is the scenario at the Justice Development and Peace Commission Learning Centre, a school created by the Catholic Church at Yimitu in Waru District of the Abuja Municipal Area Council. The school is about 20 minutes drive from the popular Apo Market that harbours people from the Gbagyi lineage and now quarters of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) who fled from Borno because of insurgency.

About 120 children of Borno parents have only but four teachers coaching them. What is observable about these teachers is the passion and drive they have in teaching in the children, even though they lack the requisite qualification to teach.

Unfortunately, even though the children basically learn to read and write under the tree, they do not acquire much knowledge each day due to the limited education of their teachers, inadequate text books and notebooks as well as lack of
decent classrooms, chairs and desks.

Volunteer teachers

According to Ifeanyi Mbah, who is awaiting admission into the university and is in charge of the center, the children have no other opportunity to learn because their parents can hardly feed their families, let alone send them to school. Faced with the challenge of preparing the less privileged young minds for the future, Mbah and three young women from Borno State assemble at the centre everyday to teach the children.
He said what spurs him each morning to dress up and get to the mock school, is the desire to improve the status of the children.

Incidentally, he notices changes for the better every passing day with the children.
His words: “The improvement of these kids is what drives me. That is what makes me wake up in the morning and start coming to this place to teach them. It makes me happy. Many started teaching but left. I just want to help them so that one day, they will remember me for something.

“Their behaviour has changed in so many ways. Initially, most of them liked fighting, but today, they friendly. Before now, they could neither read nor write; but today, they can read and even speak, which is very encouraging. They are still learning but they are trying.”

He stated that even though he does not get paid, he was happy and would keep teaching the kids because his efforts have not been in vain.

“It is voluntary work. We are not paid for our services. It is just that our efforts are yielding good results. I love teaching young children, so I just try my best to teach them for the meantime and the three other teachers are just trying their best to help their people. It was not easy, because we have to start from the beginning, teaching ABCD, and today, most of them can write”, he said.

Making it good

Mbah, who said they had achieved so much in their self-assigned job, with little and under a less conducive environment, lamented that apart from lack of chairs and the poor learning environment, most of the children are malnourished. He said the quest for knowledge has kept them going and they learn with excitement.

According to him, each time it rains, the children get dirtier because they sit on the floor under the tree to learn. He called for assistance from the government and public- spirited individuals because children are the future of Nigeria.

“We need chairs because as you can see, the children sit on the floor. Sometimes, when it rains, the place will be wet, their clothes get dirty and nowhere to sit. Some of them bring chairs from home to learn. It is a very big challenge. We need people to come and help us.

Improvised helping hand

Also, one of the teachers, Christiana Abraham, a mother from Borno State, said the job is all about helping the children, even though she does not have the professional qualification and has never been a teacher. Moved by the desire to give them basic knowledge, she resolved that since her children and others have no access to quality education at the IDP camp, the only way out is to keep trying to close the gap.

She said:
“I am here to help them because their parents do not have money to pay their school fees. The little things I know are what I teach them even though I never trained as a teacher. I was in school before and I know these basics. That is why I am transferring my knowledge. I am happy that I am teaching and they are learning.”

A pupil’s hunger for education

One of the pupils with so much enthusiasm to learn, Victoria Peter, treks from Waru to the learning centre every morning. The 12-year-old girl is in primary two, which is the highest class in the centre and she hopes to further her education if given the opportunity. She said the quest for good education is the only reason she walks the distance to the centre everyday.

“I have learnt a lot. I know English, Maths, social studies and quantitative. I come from Waru everyday. I trek to this place every morning and after school, I go back. I do that because I want to learn. Even if there is no money, I want to be a doctor and intend to further my studies, if given the opportunity”, said the young girl.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/abuja-school-where-kids-learn-under-the-tree
/

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by abrahambest(m): 4:14pm On Dec 02, 2015
too bad
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by ksstroud: 4:15pm On Dec 02, 2015
Many we have like that in this country....
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by ocee31(m): 4:15pm On Dec 02, 2015
it is well
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by McBrooklyn(m): 4:15pm On Dec 02, 2015
And The Kids Go Con Be Like angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by Sijo01(f): 4:15pm On Dec 02, 2015
Oh, Nigeria, my father's land! Smh cry
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by tolexy007(m): 4:15pm On Dec 02, 2015
end time sch angry
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by efilefun(m): 4:15pm On Dec 02, 2015
See how "Our future leaders" are suffering from the greediness of a very few citizens of Nigeria. The most painful part is seeing some hungry fellows defend this criminals who embezzled the nation dry.
Instead of standing as one to talk senses into them, threaten them and show them Nigerians ain't fools, you see some morons spewing gibberish just because of the little stipends they receive from this criminals.

For real it still baffles me how that chukwudi of a guy reasons, maybe with his anvs or feets

Saw some imbeciles praising fayose on the previous thread were he was cutting fish in the market, was he elected to do that

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 02, 2015
sad sad sad oh well at least they got something
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by Abylyty(m): 4:18pm On Dec 02, 2015
I just hope our dear President knows their plight
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by Brilliantlights(m): 4:18pm On Dec 02, 2015
bad bad.. We at brilliantlightsmedia are working on starting projects that can improve the lives of children like these. This is real unacceptable. No one should think their case is good as it is not as horrible as others. Nigeria's future MUST be salvaged

2 Likes

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by mondee02(m): 4:19pm On Dec 02, 2015
Tufiakwa changee

2 Likes

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by CIMA123: 4:19pm On Dec 02, 2015
good

1 Like

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by bimbochoco(m): 4:19pm On Dec 02, 2015
Ok
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by Dfrenzy(m): 4:19pm On Dec 02, 2015
Na wa o, 9ja 4 life.
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by kolaaderin: 4:20pm On Dec 02, 2015
ABUJA the FCT and capital of NIGERIA. PDP and their apologist should be shot at sight, 16 years and we still have such schools in ABUJA not even in a village close to NIGER REPUBLIC. Another shame is realising the University of ABUJA is one of the worst University in the country in terms of infrastructure and learning qualities, sooo much for PDP government.
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by cutetopsey(f): 4:20pm On Dec 02, 2015
undecided
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 02, 2015
the zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by steve308(m): 4:22pm On Dec 02, 2015
Next year now their will be budget allocation to educational sector, one person will seat and consumed it all and all this APC people will be telling me they are fighting corruption and be arresting the wrong individuals wat does dopkesi has to do with army deals? i tire for this country they should continue chasing shadow deris GOD #endtime

1 Like

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by deramarks(f): 4:22pm On Dec 02, 2015
Yes dats true. Cuz the acting. President from PDP is a member of the apc party. #am totally sarcastic here
Adegokenath:
Blame Pdp administration
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by zubizareta(m): 4:25pm On Dec 02, 2015
Nd they will tell us that we (youths) are the leaders of tomorrow... Smh

Meanwhile, visit this thread for sales and installation of wallpapers, 3D panels etc..

www.nairaland.com/2740519/meriekriss-intl-services-sales-installations
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by posquare(m): 4:27pm On Dec 02, 2015
Giant of africa indeed. Nigerian future is not bright
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by tolexy007(m): 4:29pm On Dec 02, 2015
efilefun:
See how "Our future leaders" are suffering from the greediness of a very few citizens of Nigeria. The most painful part is seeing some hungry fellows defend this criminals who embezzled the nation dry.
Instead of standing as one to talk senses into them, threaten them and show them Nigerians ain't fools, you see some morons spewing gibberish just because of the little stipends they receive from this criminals.

For real it still baffles me how that chukwudi of a guy reasons, maybe with his anvs or feets

Saw some imbeciles praising fayose on the previous thread were he was cutting fish in the market, was he elected to do that
is only a fo0ol that will compare Lag with Ekiti

1 Like

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by melvinjames: 4:30pm On Dec 02, 2015
There would have been more of them if not for Jonathan

1 Like

Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by tolexy007(m): 4:30pm On Dec 02, 2015
Adegokenath:
Blame Pdp administration
undecided
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by MathsChic(f): 4:33pm On Dec 02, 2015
How can i join this set of teachers? Anyone knows where the IDPs are located in Abuja?
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by MzPecs(f): 4:34pm On Dec 02, 2015
The teaching go dey enter brain wella! grin
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by viktagorion: 4:36pm On Dec 02, 2015
This is wicked and unconscionable.

That's why we voted APC.

If things don't change by 2019, it is end time for APC.

Our PVC's will AGAIN do the talking.

#Never again to bad governance.
Re: Justice Development And Peace Commission Where Kids Learn Under The Tree (photo) by morab90(m): 4:43pm On Dec 02, 2015
This is very outrageous. I don't know why we have government in this country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Daughter’s Expulsion: Niran Malaolu Battles Trinity International College Ogun / Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? / Students Collapse Durring Mayor’s Long Speech in Ghana (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.