Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,931 members, 7,799,136 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. (20231 Views)

"Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods / Magic Of Hydroponics Soiless/ Vertical Farming / Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 10:04am On Dec 09, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

China but they said the seeds origin is Mexican

If it goes for that amount in China it shows the high value of the crop. With its numerous health benefits, you can imagine the demand. Try to get the 10g packet and try it out and from your harvest you can then expand your garden, make sure you grow it organically.
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by danzite(m): 11:05am On Dec 09, 2015
pavore9... am following your post with keen interest. pls I'd love to have your number. 08039472379
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by MsJJ(f): 11:16am On Dec 09, 2015
I am an advocate of eating healthy and organic, I will try and cultivate this chia.
I am looking forward to having exporters from here, @pavore9 keep up with this, you are an agriculture encyclopedia!

1 Like

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 12:23pm On Dec 09, 2015
danzite:
pavore9... am following your post with keen interest. pls I'd love to have your number. 08039472379

I do emailing. so send me a PM.
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Jesusbaby6(f): 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2015
Pavore9:

If it goes for that amount in China it shows the high value of the crop. With its numerous health benefits, you can imagine the demand. Try to get the 10g packet and try it out and from your harvest you can then expand your garden, make sure you grow it organically.

It is 1g pack; 100g pack and 500g pack. The seller says the 1g pack contains approximately 700 seeds. But the difference in price between the 1g pack and 100g is not much

1 Like

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 1:02pm On Dec 09, 2015
MsJJ:
I am an advocate of eating healthy and organic, I will try and cultivate this chia.
I am looking forward to having exporters from here, @pavore9 keep up with this, you are an agriculture encyclopedia!

We really need to unlearn a lot of misconceptions for the possibility of growth. This Chia seeds are what people have to buy from outside the country to consume locally. I doubt if some of them have researched on it to see the possibility of growing it locally saving the foreign exchange that would be used in buying them abroad.

Just as l visited a farm in a rural community about an hour away from Nairobi, the area is just like Nsukka (Enugu State) in scenery and weather. I was fascinated by a section of the farm that houses 15 diary cows within a shed of 20ft by 50ft and was producing a daily average of 280 litres of milk which the farm uses to produce their small scale yoghurt enterprise and uses the fresh strawberry also from their farm as the flavour. They produce 250 litres of strawberry flavoured yoghurt on a daily basis which they go home deliver to some Dutch families living in Nairobi every morning before 7a.m Me l collected some litres 'for the road' cheesy

Unfortunately in Nigeria we believe it is only the Fulanis that should be dealing with cows! angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 1:05pm On Dec 09, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

It is 1g pack; 100g pack and 500g pack. The seller says the 1g pack contains approximately 700 seeds. But the difference in price between the 1g pack and 100g is not much

You should get the 100g. How much is it going for?
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Jesusbaby6(f): 1:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
Pavore9:

You should get the 100g. How much is it going for?

I bought the 100g for 2900 naira. 1kg is between $140 - 170.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 2:25pm On Dec 09, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

I bought the 100g for 2900 naira. 1kg is between $140 - 170.

So it means Ikg is over N30,000! This is a real gold mine. Tend the seeds well, it will surely bear fruits.
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Jesusbaby6(f): 4:20pm On Dec 09, 2015
Pavore9:

So it means Ikg is over N30,000! This is a real gold mine. Tend the seeds well, it will surely bear fruits.

Chia seeds and sesame seed which one is bigger in size? I just read that chia seeds are planted by broadcasting like sesame. Am I correct?
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 4:29pm On Dec 09, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

Chia seeds and sesame seed which one is bigger in size? I just read that chia seeds are planted by broadcasting like sesame. Am I correct?

It is smaller than the sesame seed. Broadcasting like I mentioned earlier is the way to go.
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Jesusbaby6(f): 4:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
Pavore9:

It is smaller than the sesame seed. Broadcasting like I mentioned earlier is the way to go.

Sorry, seen it. Did u receive my email sir?
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

Sorry, seen it. Did u receive my email sir?

Yes and replied.
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 5:41am On Dec 10, 2015
An organic strawberry farm measuring 210ft by 105ft, the harvests from it is exclusively for an upscale coffee shop in Nairobi.

2 Likes

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 5:44am On Dec 10, 2015
Will continue my post on vertical sack farming later in the day.
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Jesusbaby6(f): 7:03am On Dec 10, 2015
Pavore9:
An organic strawberry farm measuring 210ft by 105ft, the harvests from it is exclusively for an upscale coffee shop in Nairobi.

How many plants in total and how many kg does he harvest weekly?
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 7:38am On Dec 10, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

How many plants in total and how many kg does he harvest weekly?
He has 156 beds & each bed has 400 plants. He harvests about 60Kg weekly at $7 per kg as it is 100% organic & the client, ok with it.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Jesusbaby6(f): 8:21am On Dec 10, 2015
Pavore9:
He has 156 beds & each bed has 400 plants. He harvests about 60Kg weekly at $7 per kg as it is 100% organic & the client, ok with it.

The chia seeds have been shipped. Do I wait until rain falls before planting them or should I go ahead and plant them when they arrive?
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 9:04am On Dec 10, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

The chia seeds have been shipped. Do I wait until rain falls before planting them or should I go ahead and plant them when they arrive?

Why wait for the rains when you have access to water? Just make a bed mixed with manure and broadcast one-third of the seeds to see how well it will do. Within the same bed, have a part of it covered with a shade net placed over sticks that is about 2 feet high so the sun do not hit directly on the seeds broadcasted, so that you can compare the growth between the covered and uncovered areas, after which you can now broadcast the remaining two-third.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 11:01am On Dec 10, 2015
The Chia plant

1 Like

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Jesusbaby6(f): 1:00pm On Dec 10, 2015
Pavore9:
The Chia plant

One utube video I saw d lady said hers is over a year. It was now looking like a bush cos they were many. Is it only through seeds that we can propagate?

1 Like

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 1:19pm On Dec 10, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

One utube video I saw d lady said hers is over a year. It was now looking like a bush cos they were many. Is it only through seeds that we can propagate?

When your own 100gm seeds which l believe is in thousands do well, yours will also look like a bush because you re-plant some of the seeds from your initial harvest, your Chia farm expands. Just make sure it will be in a secure area to prevent theft because once people get to know its market value they will 'help you harvest' them.

2 Likes

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 7:13pm On Dec 10, 2015
Since the intent is on organic so in the stead of lime, one can apply ash derive from wood burning that is the ash derive from cooking with firewood as it is valuable as a liming agent that can raise pH and help neutralize acid soils.

Fill a 20 litre bucket with ash and mix with the 5 wheelbarrows of soil and 5 wheelbarrows of manure. Mix thoroughly before them filling them in the sack.

To fill the sack, one has to have the sack at ground level and roll up as it is being filled. When the soil mixture in the sack is up to 12 inches high, STOP.

Get a 4 inches PVC pipe that is between 4ft and 5ft high and place in the midst of the sack being filled. The PVC pipe will be used to create a column within the sack

Then continue filling the sack with the soil mixture around the PVC pipe in the middle. Once the bag is filled up to the surface with the PVC pipe in the middle. Fill the hollow of the PVC pipe with gravel as that will be local substitute in Nigeria for pumice stones Kenyans use. Though ballast stones (those stones one get to see along railway track) is a very good substitute but ABEG don;t attempt to go gather some at a railway line when dem arrest you, l no go show face o! cheesy cheesy cheesy

The hollow to be filled is about 3 feet high (it means one will not get fill the entire pipe).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 7:36pm On Dec 10, 2015
When the hollow has been filled to the level of the surrounding soil, the PVC should be removed. Make sure the stores are at the level with soil filled in the sack.

The question is why the stones? Though one can fill the entire sack with just the soil mixture but it tends to consume more water and the lower part of the sack will likely not get as much water as the upper part and water tends to drain out through the sides before it gets to the lower part. With the stones in the middle of the sack, it serves as a conduit that ensures that every part of the sack get its own share of water as you need to direct the water on the stones and it seeps down.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by gaussy(m): 7:46pm On Dec 10, 2015
@ pavore what is the essence of the rock filled pvc pipe in the middle of the sack?
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 7:53pm On Dec 10, 2015
gaussy:
@ pavore what is the essence of the rock filled pvc pipe in the middle of the sack?

Re-read the post before yours.
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Hallams(m): 8:14pm On Dec 10, 2015
op, nice job ride on

1 Like

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Hallams(m): 8:15pm On Dec 10, 2015
op, nice job continue

1 Like

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by moyin2009: 9:41pm On Dec 10, 2015
I will need the seed here in Akure , Ondo State. kindly contact me 08023936468.thanks
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by wasamtech: 9:58pm On Dec 10, 2015
@Pavore9

Each time l read your post, l feel delighted and happy because you are one person abroad that is trying to open our eyes and mind to several means of making money and getting employed in farming. You have really puncture my mind and all l see and dream of is making money through faming in no time.

Farming in other part of the world to me as been reduced to Easy Agricultural Practices (EAP) and old method of farming are fading away per time. Our youth in Nigeria still think farming has to involve tractors, bulldozers and high powered machineries with manual labour and that's why farming does not appeal to them.

All or so called Universities of Agriculture are just a gathering of un-employable, non-tasking graduate who are taught with archaic methods of agricultural practices. Sack, Pot, Grow Bags and other low cost planting mediums has been practiced in the world over and Nigerians are far away from these discoveries rather they use their internet connections for chatting all days long.

I have been transformed into a farmer via you-tube, pdf and several researches that l had used my data to gather. Am happy to let you know that in a couple of months now, l will be harvesting tomatoes, sweet peppers, cabbages in sacks and each is to the tune of 1000 plants on an half plot of my backyard.

I have sowed my nursery inside a wooden box of 3ft by 6ft (2 boxes) and planted indeterminate tomatoes and sweet pepper varieties that will last me a year round. I shall keep you posted as time passes. Am doing 100% organic.

Keep the farming exposures alive for we that have the mind to develop and make use of it. You don't know you are creating wealth for us the invincible readers here on nairaland. Your exposures are your own idea export to your country land and may God let you reap your dreams.

Thanks

Sammie

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by ejibamui: 10:12am On Dec 11, 2015
@ Pavore Is this chia plant has d same scent as our local curry does?
Re: Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. by Pavore9: 10:44am On Dec 11, 2015
ejibamui:
@ Pavore Is this chia plant has d same scent as our local curry does?
It does not have the same scent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) / How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.