Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) (35424 Views)

The Married Woman Who Died With Her Lover In A Car During Sex In Lagos Pictured / EFCC Arraigns 65-Year-Old Man For Currency Counterfeiting In Kaduna (Photo) / "Don't Kill Your Wife, It's Our Job" Advert Board Seen In Lagos (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by mart2k(m): 11:39am On Dec 03, 2015
Keneking:
Great grin

1. Click like if you think Architect (Mrs.)Sarah Olukoya should forfeit the cash to government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

2. Click share if you think it's not NDLEA's business to withhold same

Any security agency can detect crime since there is synergy in security network of d Nation. Though, u may say it is not d responsibility of NDLEA to pursue d case but, it is one of their responsibilities to detect crime. D agency wil surely hand over d suspect to relevant agencies(EFCC or ICPC). Daz d normal practice
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by jantavanta(m): 11:40am On Dec 03, 2015
Fela Anikulapo-Kuti had a similar problem. Does anyone remember the details?
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by dustydee: 11:44am On Dec 03, 2015
If the money was her legitimate earning, she should prove how she got it and back it up with tax clearance certificates after which she should forfeit 10% to the government for not declaring it. Otherwise it should be treated as proceeds of crime.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by ceemere: 11:48am On Dec 03, 2015
Burger01:
What's NDLEA business with currency trafficking The woman probably felt safer having her monies close to her. Abeg, free the woman jare angry
one orijin for U there bros. Na only u see wetin dey odd about the f*ckin arrest. Abeg wetin concern okada concern seat belt ni?? Where was EFCC and ICPC?? Abi money contain new substance used in making hard drugs ni?? Na only in nigeria u go see police dey do work of Road safety, road safety dey do work of Lawma, Lawma dey do work or Army , Army dey do work of police and so on. Mtcheww f*ckin ZOO ! sad
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by mankand(m): 11:51am On Dec 03, 2015
ijustdey:

what stops her from depositing such huge amount of money in the bank.....

something must be wrong somewhere
she no like her self..... safety wise

Hear yourself.

Nigerian banks don't collect deposits in foreign currency anymore, I went through hell just to transfer $4000 some days ago.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Viktor1983(m): 11:52am On Dec 03, 2015
if an Onitsha business man is caught with debit cards or such an amount, una go call for him head.....
What is good for the geese is good for the gander....

Take look at this thread and compare
https://www.nairaland.com/2688792/ndlea-arrests-2-china-bound-passengers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Laid2001: 11:53am On Dec 03, 2015
In Nigerian Bank, not when she is also British. she should have deposited such in her foreign bank and come and spend it as Naira in Nigeria.

Even for Nigerians, Put the currency in the bank in the country where you were paid. and spend it in the currency of the country you are going to. Every country have limit on cash amount you can hand carry across border and it is usually $10k or its equivalent!

brainbucks:

you been dey sambisa when CBN announce say we no fit make foreign currency deposits anymore??
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by ohenhen1: 11:53am On Dec 03, 2015
Tochytee:
I guess she is avoiding the CBN strict banking rules all the same its a crime already by nigerian law but they should find a way to settle amicably

Settle ko Settle ni.

It is obvious money laundry or a drug deal. Who travels with over $100 K in cash in white envelopes?.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by islandmoon: 11:55am On Dec 03, 2015
i wonder if NDLEA director declare all his property and money! he should be investigated also!
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by EbolaParasite: 11:57am On Dec 03, 2015
Jdesilentkiller:

My guy I didnt jump into conclusion. I am just disappointed she didnt declare the money. You and I know that carrying huge amount of dollars will automatically draw the attention of law enforcement, why didnt she take precautionary measures??

For this same naija? You declare it and they will demand 10% of your hard earned sweat
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by EbolaParasite: 12:00pm On Dec 03, 2015
Laid2001:
In Nigerian Bank, not when she is also British. she should have deposited such in her foreign bank and come and spend it as Naira in Nigeria.

Even for Nigerians, Put the currency in the bank in the country where you were paid. and spend it in the currency of the country you are going to. Every country have limit on cash amount you can hand carry across border and it is usually $10k or its equivalent!

She got the money in Nigeria!
You guys sha. If you are able to deposit $10,000 in any nigerian bank right now, i will pay you an extra 5,000 dollars. Seems you guys don't know what is going on. The govt is forcing people to use naira only and by so doing make life difficult for people who need international transactions
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Pesuzok(m): 12:02pm On Dec 03, 2015
iyke926:
To get money and traveling with it na wahala. Nigeria sucks as a country. Make she shine her eyes cuz I believe those officials are criminals.

Dont display your ignorance, even in the US you must declare it if you have above $10000
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 03, 2015
Pesuzok:

Dont display your ignorance, even in the US you must declare it if you have above $10000
Okay undecided sad
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2015
The suspect said she legitimately earned the money.

She said: “I am an architect based in London. The money is part of rent paid to me by tenants in a property I inherited. It is also part of architectural and interior decoration work I did as well as loans from family members.

I used to send money through the bank but the new regulation made me to carry cash. I intend to use the money to pay my children’s school fees and my medical bills”.

Olukoya did not provide evidence to support her claim.

All the wailers here wailing that the woman did nothing wrong and it is not NDLEA's business should please read the bolded above and stop wailing! If it was a Biafran woman now, it would be NDLEA's business!

Sofistikated people always giving Nigeria a bad name
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Akainzo(m): 12:15pm On Dec 03, 2015
brainbucks:

you been dey sambisa when CBN announce say we no fit make foreign currency deposits anymore??

According to her, the money is from RENT received from tenants and jobs done while in Nigeria. Was she paid in Dollars for rent or the work?

Was she in Sambisa when CBN announced that all transactions must be in Naira, and thus her tenants would have paid in Naira and she can then dutifully transfer them to pay her so called children's school fees anywhere in the world.

We owe this country a duty to read, understand her laws and not just be supporting criminal acts.

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 03, 2015
Laid2001:

She was attempting to travel out of Nigeria to Britain. She was in possession of the hard currency IN NIGERIA. How could she have made the deposit to her foreign bank account from Nigeria if she doesn't physically carry the money there?

Reread the story to understand.

Not that I give a sh!t about her and her money though. Sooo whatever
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Akainzo(m): 12:17pm On Dec 03, 2015
EbolaParasite:

Are you aware that the current CBN policy makes it nearly impossible for one to do that. Even if the banks in Nigeria accept the money in a dom account, it will take her years to withdraw it when she gets to her destination due to the ridiculous daily and monthly withdrawal limits

Did she receive the rent in Nigeria in foreign currency?
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by eaglechild: 12:19pm On Dec 03, 2015
Viktor1983:
if an Onitsha business man is caught with debit cards or such an amount, una go call for him head.....

Thank you so much.

The folks here justifying what this person did were the ones shouting blue murder in that thread all because the names are different.

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 03, 2015
E fit be say she neva do her BVN smiley[color=#000099][/color]
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 03, 2015
Viktor1983:

Tribalism at its peak.. This was unnecessary..
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by sunny2k: 12:33pm On Dec 03, 2015
iyke926:
To get money and traveling with it na wahala. Nigeria sucks as a country. Make she shine her eyes cuz I believe those officials are criminals.

its still within their juridictions and even in most develop countries their is a limit of cash u can travel with
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 03, 2015
sunny2k:
its still within their juridictions and even in most develop countries their is a limit of cash u can travel with

Thanks for the info.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by greall12(m): 12:38pm On Dec 03, 2015
Abeg free the woman.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by otokx(m): 12:39pm On Dec 03, 2015
There is so much money in Nigeria.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by babestella: 12:42pm On Dec 03, 2015
Different envelopes?
This monies might just be money given to her by some parents whose children school abroad.

With the retrogressive banking reforms, they have choice than to get the money across this way. NDLEA should free the woman before I get her a strong attorney.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by babestella: 12:46pm On Dec 03, 2015
Freemanan:

Tribalism at its peak.. This was unnecessary..

But that's the truth. He's right on point. In as much as we try to remove tribal sentiments in our country, the Truth must always be told.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by 400billionman: 12:48pm On Dec 03, 2015
Bubu has destroyed banking industry in Nigeria. Discouraged international business transactions.

Denied banks income from foreign wire transfers..

I wish Okukoya travels back to london and sue the NDLEA for confiscating her money.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by ijustdey: 12:50pm On Dec 03, 2015
mankand:

Hear yourself.

Nigerian banks don't collect deposits in foreign currency anymore, I went through hell just to transfer $4000 some days ago.

it a new policy by the government not to deposit in foreign currency..... so, I guess she must have been paid the rent in naira before she did the conversation here.....

so why didn't she pay the naira equivalent to the banks before she had to change it to dollars
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by greatest31: 12:52pm On Dec 03, 2015
I hate the way we comment on issues, if it is Igbo, it will be tagged drug money and some people will start abusing the tribe and now it is yoruba and people are shouting that they should settle the matter.

Our law is our law, no matter the tribe. Justice have to prevail.

One Nigeria.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by ijustdey: 12:55pm On Dec 03, 2015
brainbucks:

she got paid in here..... am sure she was paid in naira before conversation

why didn't she pay the money in naira to the account ....

but by the way..... she was asked for evidence about the transaction, and she couldn't provide any, so I guess it was money got illegally

I used to send money through the bank but the new regulation made me to carry cash. I intend to use the money to pay my children’s school fees and my medical bills”.
Olukoya did not provide evidence to support her claim.
This, according to NDLEA, suggests currency trafficking.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Woman For Currency Trafficking In Lagos (pictured) by AZeD1(m): 12:57pm On Dec 03, 2015
babestella:
Different envelopes?
This monies might just be money given to her by some parents whose children school abroad.

With the retrogressive banking reforms, they have choice than to get the money across this way. NDLEA should free the woman before I get her a strong attorney.

I still paid school fees for my sister in the US about some months ago so that bold part can't fly.
She said she got the money from rent paid to her by her tenants,
The question is are the tenants in Nigeria, if yes then nobody who pays rent in dollars would pay you in cash.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Crime Complaint Distribution Across 36 States / Osun Mother Ties Up Her Son In Sack Over Evil Spirit Allegations (video) / Man Shot Dead By Armed Robbers In Eleme, Rivers State (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.