Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? (6611 Views)

Poll: Which is Better?

XP: 56% (67 votes)
Vista: 43% (51 votes)
This poll has ended

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by omega25red(m): 2:48pm On Jun 17, 2009
It's a draw for me because i have xp and vista

XP because i have lots of programs that i can use with it
Vista would have been better if they came out with drivers etc for all the things that worked on xp but i still like it because of the 64bit graphics. XP looks dull next to vista and you can still do a lot with vista
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by utotomi7(m): 3:29pm On Jun 17, 2009
Instead of making arguments and guessing which is better let us look at a chart that compares Windows XP to Windows Vista to Windows 7, here is the link:

http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Windows-7-vs-Vista-SP1-vs-XP-SP3-Feature-Comparison-3.jpg
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by wallay(m): 3:36pm On Jun 17, 2009
if you ask me vista has cleary and highly sophisticated but i prefer the good old xp
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by zaliya(f): 4:16pm On Jun 17, 2009
xp is the best anyday. the vista am using right now is messing up
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by BABE3: 4:41pm On Jun 17, 2009
XP oooo, MAY GOD purnish Vista, so messed up
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by hackney(m): 5:51pm On Jun 17, 2009
I will say XP for its relative simplicity ; the layout and explore ease makes the XP better in my opinion.
Vista has no real value added both on stand-alone or network client scenarios.( Just a bunch of fancy icons and screen clock; pointless).

Vista is just a market share retention product for microsoft.
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by jediknight(m): 6:28pm On Jun 17, 2009
I personally still prefer xp.

Vista wasnt well built thats why they are rushing out windows 7 so quickly.

Vista is so memory hungry and runs down batteries quickly, no doubt its prettier and more high tech in many ways but it need lotsa ironing out. vista copied the OS Leopard in many ways and did a poor job at it. well, i guess we live to learn and all those mistakes will be sorted out in the newer repackaged "windows 7"

I personally run a dual boot with Ubuntu and xp at the moment

I'm going mac soon and u know what they say, ."If u go mac u cant go Back!"

but till then, Ubuntu Rocks!
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by abhosts(m): 6:40pm On Jun 17, 2009
I thought I preferred Vista to XP until I started experiencing an issue related to a bug that was still unfixed even after installing SP1. I then decided to give Window 7 a spin. I must confess that it is probably the Best OS ever. The Coolest part about Windows 7 is the feature called "XP Mode". With that you can still run all your XP stuff on Windows 7 like it do on an XP machine.
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by SisiJinx: 6:47pm On Jun 17, 2009
Please XP wins Hands down!!

That stupid Vista is not compatible with anything. Darn thing almost ruined my HP printer and any little thing with Vista, you are getting a restore to previous session krapola.

ANNOYING!!!!!!! angry angry
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by RuuDie(m): 6:56pm On Jun 17, 2009
Definitely XP. . . . . . very user-friendly!
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by SamMilla1(m): 9:09pm On Jun 17, 2009
Its like give people a choice to pick Okocha and mikel Obi to play against Tunisia on saturday,

definitely some people will pick okocha ahead of mikel even though he has not trained for one year,
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by lojik(m): 9:43pm On Jun 17, 2009
XP ni o!
Vista is so full of shit dat i wont choose it over win 2000. vista swallows my 2gb ram aside from its user unfriendliness. XP anytime.
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by MAITEMA(m): 9:53pm On Jun 17, 2009
I had Vista-phobia until I was compelled to use Vista having bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.

All my softwares were Vista compatible save for my printer. All in all Vista is more efficient and faster than XP
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by Noah69: 11:01pm On Jun 17, 2009
XP for now o!
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by lastpage: 11:24pm On Jun 17, 2009
I have used all, from Win98, ME, 2000, XP,VISTA and Win7.

If your computer is the "Tokunbo" or the 'entry level" new Laptop/Desktop, especially those ones that the RAM is maxed-out and under 2GB, sorry o, pls stay with your XP jeje!

Vista hugs resources like hell but if your machine is top of the line (Fast board, heavy graphics-accelerated adapter, 2GB and above RAM, Wifi, bla-blabla) you will not want to touch XP with a long pole except of-course, if you have 'old and outdated 16-bit applications' that are not compatible with Vista.

Just update to the newest version of those applications and run Vista and you will enjoy grin

By the way, Windows 7 is worth a-try. Get on the train while it is still new grin ,
and help Microsoft recover from these damn recession! cry
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by md4real(m): 11:53pm On Jun 17, 2009
XP always. i love it simplicity. cool
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by cleric(m): 3:20am On Jun 18, 2009
Vista, no question about it; Kwam 1 said "sun-sun la ye gba, sun -sun sha la ye " .
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by Beaf: 3:30am On Jun 18, 2009
If youre running 2nd user equipment, then XP. If your PC / laptop is new, go for Vista.
A lot of "religious" folk talk bs about vista without using it simply because they hate microsoft. Remember microsoft smashed a lot of companies on their way up. The guys who were affected are angry and both bankroll and fuel the bs.

Vista is sleek, intuitive, faster and much more stable than XP.

NB. I'm running both XP and vista on several PC's and laptops, so have experience of both.
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by alisong: 9:25am On Jun 18, 2009
hello everyone.i knw my problem is not related to this thread, sorry
on my computer it says that i may be a victim of software counterfeit.any solutions??
i dont have the money to buy the genuine cd.any sites?
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by jorem(m): 10:01am On Jun 18, 2009
Please take note of this simple fact in addition; if u'r working in a server environment (Networking systems with server) and base computer is xp while u'r working with vista, u'll never enjoy the system (Vista), but if vista was used as the base system for the server. u'll never complain about vista again, it works perfectly.
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by nylawal(m): 12:02pm On Jun 18, 2009
I love this thread! I have always argued this with a friend who just came from India. He's into Windows virtualization while im into 3d. He argues that Virtualization takes more resources than 3d on any operating system. If one is looking for a rugged system that gets the job done, I give it to XP. About security wise backing up my files always has always been my practice from win 95 to the world ends.

However, one feature that I cherish in Vista is the way it keeps your old files whenever it is formatted with that singular move it can save lives.

@ lastpage
I heard win 7 has a backward compatibility with xp and can support hardware from xp version. Also can you confirm that you virtually have the two OS bundled together? That will be the bomb!

If u like graphics you shd be allowed to choose and if you want the classic look and all the functionality you should be allowed.

Microsoft should also take note of its OS for each professional as the case may be! Vista with all the drivers that take much space to install is ok since there are bigger hard disk space nowadays. Also budget of PC buyers shd be considered, not everyone can afford buying and adding RAM just after a month of PC purchase.

I'm yet to see naija banks deploying Vista as a domain. I may be wrong!
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by djcrucifix(m): 12:28pm On Jun 18, 2009
i ll go for vista anytime, anywhere. i don't know why people say they like xp, it's like saying u prefer outdated things to new one. jeez! undecided
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 18, 2009
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=630

If you love Windows XP, you'll hate Windows 7

My colleague Jason Perlow has been playing with Windows 7, and he hates it. The sad thing is, all the things he hates are improvements, in my opinion, which just goes to show that you really can’t please everyone. But what’s sad to see is that every setting Jason describes as broken is in fact easily customizable so it works the way he wants it.

The crux of Jason’s complaint is simple: “I learned how to use Windows in 1998. Don’t change a thing.” Here’s his main argument in a nutshell:

I find it difficult to believe that Windows 7 was created to be easier to use than Vista — if anything, they’ve introduced a number of UI changes that make the system much harder to navigate, particularly if you’ve never used Vista and are going direct to Windows 7 from Windows XP, which is the path that many users will experience.

Yes, there’s a learning curve. And if you insist on using those techniques you learned back in the last millennium with software that was designed differently, you will be frustrated. But I believe that an open-minded XP user who actually takes a few minutes to learn how the new UI works will be more productive very quickly. The secret is breaking old habits and developing new ones. Let’s take all three of Jason’s examples and work through them.

Jason: “I also find the Windows 7 Control Panel to be less intuitive than XP’s […] you now need one additional mouse click to see all the Control Panel options — of which there are now approximately double than which existed in XP. Clearly, they could have done a better job at consolidating functions, or at the very least, provided a better UI for navigating such a long list of stuff.”

The Windows XP Control Panel intuitive? A folder filled with icons, many with cryptic/technical names, doesn’t seem intuitive to me. I think familiar might be a more accurate word to describe the reaction of someone who learned where everything is the hard way. Meanwhile, if you want “a better UI for navigating such a long list of stuff” it’s right there already. See that search box in the upper right corner? It’s a huge improvement on the old folder full of Control Panel icons. If you don’t believe me, try changing your screen saver from the Windows XP Control Panel. Does it make sense that you have to click the Display icon and then choose the Screen Saver tab to get there? You know those steps because you’ve been doing it that way for 14 years, but it’s hardly intuitive.

By contrast, in Windows Vista and Windows 7, you type the word screen into the search box, and the list automatically filters as you type. I think this result list is pretty helpful:

The real problem most XP users will have when migrating to the Windows 7 interface is that they need to unlearn those old navigation models. The longer you’ve been using PCs, the more likely you are to reflexively assume that the solution is to pull down a menu or double-click an icon. Those techniques worked fine back in the 1990s, but today, with instant search available just about everywhere in the Windows UI, those old techniques are as dated as a pair of Dockers.

If you’re an XP veteran, take some time to learn why the new interface was designed the way it was. Believe me, those designers and usability professionals didn’t just make this stuff up. If you’re willing to learn a few new techniques, I guarantee your productivity will increase over time.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=631&tag=rbxccnbzd1

Five things Steve Ballmer won't tell you about Windows 7

2. “Good luck finding drivers for all your old XP-only hardware.”

Over the past few months, I’ve installed and used Windows 7 on a dozen separate systems, representing a wide range in hardware capability and all sorts of different form factors. Virtually every one of those systems had also run Windows Vista at some point in its lab lifecycle, which made it easy for me to track down the best drivers for each subsystem and peripheral.

Over the course of the last two years, I’ve discarded or replaced a handful of devices that didn’t work at all with Vista: several network cards, some storage adapters, a scanner, a TV tuner. In every case, I had to replace the unsupported part or do without. The good news is that the driver model for Windows 7 is identical to that of Windows Vista, so all the hardware I now own (and all the drivers I’ve bookmarked and saved) will work on upgraded systems.

So, what happens to people who decided to skip Vista and stick with XP, for whatever reason? They get to face those exact same issues. If your device doesn’t have a driver for Windows Vista, it will not work under Windows 7. Period. Full stop.

3. “We’re still at the mercy of our clueless OEM partners – and so are you.”

Some of the worst complaints about Windows Vista came from users who were subjected to horrible installations from OEMs, with poorly written drivers, inadequate hardware, and great heaping helpings of crapware to slow everything down to a crawl.

I had the chance to see this phenomenon up close and personal last year, when I rebuilt a Sony VAIO whose performance with Windows Vista was so awful that its owner basically wrote it off and bought a new MacBook. After a clean installation, including Vista Service Pack 1, its performance was eye-opening and impressive.

Since that time, Sony, Dell, and other top-tier OEMs have cleaned up their acts impressively. But even if Windows 7 turns out to be an excellent operating system, there’s still the potential for it to be scuttled by sloppy or greedy hardware makers. Microsoft executives are jawboning like crazy with their hardware partners; you know they’ll be holding their breath after the launch to see how those systems perform in the real world.

a year from now, most of the i hate vista crowd will prolly be saying the same about se7en, and for the same reasons tongue
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by Andy1985ng(m): 4:31pm On Jun 18, 2009
XP with its simplicity is simply the bomb! To blazes with vista and se7en!
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by Meldrick(m): 5:46pm On Jun 18, 2009
I'm using vista right now and I hate it. It's too heavy. I prefer XP
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by aypumping(m): 7:22pm On Jun 18, 2009
Who are all these Vista advocates ? It only shows ur ineptitude. Any IT savvy person knows dat[b] XP is da bomb [/b] wink. VISTA is completely rubbish. I bliv d ppl dat built it were a new staff @ Microsoft, grin grin grin
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by dueal(m): 7:33pm On Jun 18, 2009
I wish someone could tear-off this thread. Who's arguing 'bout xp and vista. WINDOW, LINUX, MAC, BeOS, Amiga, Use whatever! and SHUT-UP!!!
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by stnonymus(m): 8:03pm On Jun 18, 2009
Xp does the job and its user friendly.Vista is damn too slow and doesnt allow you install a lot of softwares. ITS XP FOR LIFE !!!!!!!!!!(for now).
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by oyinda3(f): 4:24am On Jun 19, 2009
vista

i wish i had a mac though
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by oyinda3(f): 4:28am On Jun 19, 2009
Vista

If youre running 2nd user equipment, then XP. If your PC / laptop is new, go for Vista.
A lot of "religious" folk talk bs about vista without using it simply because they hate microsoft. Remember microsoft smashed a lot of companies on their way up. The guys who were affected are angry and both bankroll and fuel the bs.

Vista is sleek, intuitive, faster and much more stable than XP.

NB. I'm running both XP and vista on several PC's and laptops, so have experience of both.

I agree!!
Re: Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? by profits1: 5:15am On Jun 19, 2009
I love and enjoy Vista, You can think of what I voted for

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Whats The Use Of Nicom Sat1 / SHOPPING Or BUSINESS WEBSITE/LANDING PAGE/BLOGS WITH .com.ng/.com FOR SMALL FEE / How To Hack Any Windows Admin Password

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.