Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,042 members, 7,807,130 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT (12908 Views)

African American Man To Return To Umuahia, Nigeria As He Rocks Igbo Attire / Kiyi, A Community In FCT That Still Kills Twins And Triplets? / Photos: Killing Of Twins In Fct (Gwagwaladagist.com) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by masseratti: 2:07pm On Dec 04, 2015
Afam4eva:

I asked you a simple question based on your assertion and here you are speaking English and giving me history lessons that i did not ask for.
if you cannot get the answer from what I wrote,am sorry I can't help you and others liking your post..I think this is simple enough for you to comprehend.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by babestella: 3:20pm On Dec 04, 2015
I never knew yorubas have obas outside their own land. So why crucify igbos. Hmmm.. Hypocrisy.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by patrick89(m): 3:49pm On Dec 04, 2015
The level of hypocrisy among yoruba is chagrin! this people are vultures, They accuse Igbos of everything that they are doing worst too!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Bluffly: 4:31pm On Dec 04, 2015
These are obviously set of people who taught they have cleverly crafted a pot of milk for themselves. Imagine during any election, they will claim they are pressure groups to consider for vote etc.They are thieves. Anyway, what do one expect of a lawless country.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Eluwilussit(m): 4:34pm On Dec 04, 2015
mazzi:
Huhuhuhu, a clarion call on my igbo peeps to come and have fun here.

Will u blame them, if they do? Not long ago, they were maligned here for having an eze Igbo in a Yoruba enclave. Little did anyone realize that we also have obas outside the Yoruba kingdom. Double standard, hypocrisy and tribalism have killed us. We need a national awakening. grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by dewstar: 5:20pm On Dec 04, 2015
StuntingBlack:
Sincerely, I wish Yoruba Obas fire a warning to the so-called useless individual parading himself as Oba outside Yorubaland. Just look at the level of insanity displayed.

That some animals crown themselves kings in another man's land doesnt mean we should allow a set of degenerates soil our pride by watching them indulge themselves. Yoruba Obas need act fast now.!!

Do not throw stones if you live in a glass house. You point a finger at others, four more are pointing back at you.

Ignorance and hypocrisy are killer diseases. Purge yourself today or you die slow.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by dewstar: 5:33pm On Dec 04, 2015
Kassidy90:
Any yoruba Oba outside south west is not recognized these stupid royalty wannabe should be ashame of themselves.. [b]coz i see it as a full time hypocrisy if we insult Igbos for doing something whereas we practice d same[\b]...

You are brave and honest. Respect for this.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by dewstar: 5:40pm On Dec 04, 2015
daretodiffer:

Smartass, this is probably the first time any Yoruba would be having knowledge of this nonsense

That is why it is wise to always look before you leap. Before you mock others, take a good look at yourself first. This goes to both the Igbos and Yorubas that spend all their days senselessly mocking themselves on this forum and elsewhere. Don't forget that God is the ultimate mocker.

N.B. Ignorance is no excuse.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 04, 2015
StuntingBlack:
Sincerely, I wish Yoruba Obas fire a warning to the so-called useless individual parading himself as Oba outside Yorubaland. Just look at the level of insanity displayed.

That some animals crown themselves kings in another man's land doesnt mean we should allow a set of degenerates soil our pride by watching them indulge themselves. Yoruba Obas need act fast now.!!

Hmmmm, so Yoruba de struggle for leadership in another man's land grin

2 Likes

Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by macof(m): 6:01pm On Dec 04, 2015
Afam4eva:

We also don't have Eze of Igboland. What's exactly is your point?

Eze igbo outside Igboland are recognized by Igbos

Yorubas don't recognize any Tom dick and Harry as Oba. Obaship is too prestigious to just apply to any jobless nuisance

I doubt if there's really any Oba yoruba of Abuja in existence. . Like I said, I've never heard such in my life. .. I won't be surprised if it's all made up to ridicule the yoruba people

1 Like

Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 04, 2015
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by macof(m): 6:06pm On Dec 04, 2015
basilo101:

same with ezendigbo outside igboland. They are nt recognized by any traditiönal law in d east. They are mere represtantiv of igbo association. Why are yorubas making noise abt them when they hav same type of ppl elswhere?

They don't have to be recognized by laws from the east, they are already recognized by people from the east.

Different from this acclaimed "Oba yoruba"
Only a fool that doesn't know what it means to be Oba, calls himself Oba of yoruba in a community where there are more non yorubas than yorubas. ..cus an Oba is king to everyone in the entire land.
I don't blame you mofos, you probably made this all up to ridicule the yoruba
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Afam4eva(m): 6:11pm On Dec 04, 2015
macof:

Eze igbo outside Igboland are recognized by Igbos

Yorubas don't recognize any Tom dick and Harry as Oba. Obaship is too prestigious to just apply to any jobless nuisance

I doubt if there's really any Oba yoruba of Abuja in existence. . Like I said, I've never heard such in my life. .. I won't be surprised if it's all made up to ridicule the yoruba people
Recognized by which Igbos? If anything they're recognized by the government of the state where they're domiciled. An Eze Ndigbo Lagos for instance cannot attend a meeting of Ezes in Igboland. We know where our land and ends.

The fact that you've never heard of Oba of Abuja before doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can feign ignorance all you want but the reality is what you see on this thread. I will always advise you to resist from making statements such as the one you made about Eze Ndigbo outside Igboland being recognized by Igbos. You are not Igbo and as such have a second hand knowledge of Igbo affairs. Next time ask questions.

1 Like

Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by macof(m): 6:24pm On Dec 04, 2015
Afam4eva:

Recognized by which Igbos? If anything they're recognized by the government of the state where they're domiciled. An Eze Ndigbo Lagos for instance cannot attend a meeting of Ezes in Igboland. We know where our land and ends.

The fact that you've never heard of Oba of Abuja before doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can feign ignorance all you want but the reality is what you see on this thread. I will always advise you to resist from making statements such as the one you made about Eze Ndigbo outside Igboland being recognized by Igbos. You are not Igbo and as such have a second hand knowledge of Igbo affairs. Next time ask questions.

Oh pls!

Eze Ndigbo are appointed by fellow igbo people in their host town. When the igbos feel they face a problem the Eze represents them and presents their case to relevant authorities. That's why the host states recognize them. .. why else would that happen if the igbos don't recognize them first?

Oba of yoruba, on the other hand is not recognized by anybody. Oba of yoruba Abuja doesn't represent me or any yoruba in Abuja. .and the FCT would never recognize such a man.
I stil say Oba of yoruba doesn't exist. . Its all made up by someone(or people) looking to ridicule the yoruba
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by madenigga(m): 6:38pm On Dec 04, 2015
macof:

Oh pls!

Eze Ndigbo are appointed by fellow igbo people in their host town. When the igbos feel they face a problem the Eze represents them and presents their case to relevant authorities. That's why the host states recognize them. .. why else would that happen if the igbos don't recognize them first?

Oba of yoruba, on the other hand is not recognized by anybody. Oba of yoruba Abuja doesn't represent me or any yoruba in Abuja. .and the FCT would never recognize such a man.
I stil say Oba of yoruba doesn't exist. . Its all made up by someone(or people) looking to ridicule the yoruba
see this mumu lieing thief,
I hv this very strong belief that oduduwa was a cursed liar... I guess the oba of abuja is an igbo man in yoruba man disguise.
Cowards.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by macof(m): 6:56pm On Dec 04, 2015
madenigga:

see this mumu lieing thief,
I hv this very strong belief that oduduwa was a cursed liar... I guess the oba of abuja is an igbo man in yoruba man disguise.
Cowards.

undecided and you go as far as insulting a yoruba ancestor. . See why people hate you igbos? ? When has anyone insulted ur ancestors? Most of whom you don't even know undecided

What's my business with him? His Obaship makes no sense as an Oba rules over all people of the land not a few people. Who made him Oba? What do we even need an Oba yoruba in Abuja for? I don't believe a yoruba man can disgrace the yoruba like this
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by rhames(m): 6:57pm On Dec 04, 2015
Olaedo1:
[size=15pt]Obaship dispute rocks Yoruba community in FCT[/size]

The Obaship crisis rocking Yoruba Community in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) is showing no sign of abating. In fact, it got to a level that the traditional ruler of Yoruba in the territory, Oba (Dr) Olusegun Salau, warned those he accused of sowing seeds of discord among members of the community for selfish interests, to desist from such. He even threatened that henceforth, anybody caught in the act would be handed over to security agencies for appropriate sanction.

The major contention is over who the authentic Oba of Yoruba in Abuja is. Salau had insisted that he remained the only recognised Oba and advised the contenders to embrace peace in the interest of the Yoruba race.

Oba Salau recently summoned an emergency meeting with chiefs and elders of the Yoruba community at his Kado’s place in Life Camp to find solution to the crisis. He told them that the meeting was summoned to find a way of redeeming the image of the community which he noted had been badly damaged through incessant crises and indiscipline among residents.

The Oba expressed dissatisfaction that the main reasons for the formation of the community were yet to be fully realised many years after the community was formed. ”During this period, it has been one form of crisis, mistrust, bickering, blackmail and all these have largely affected our progress and image as a community in FCT,” he told them.

According to him, “going down memory lane, you will recall that the birth of Yoruba Community, FCT came into being following my installation as the Oba Yoruba of Abuja at an event which was widely publicised and which was attended by all prominent Yoruba sons and daughters residing in Abuja.”

Oba Salau, who highlighted most of the steps taken earlier to ensure peace within the community as well as in other ethnic groups within the FCT, including the emergence of Six Area Councils’ chairmen with the appointment of an Oba as the chairman to coordinate the activities of the Yorubas in each Area Council who should report back to him, said that it was unfortunate that some members went ahead and sabotaged the efforts for selfish reasons.
He told them: “It is time to put an end to all this nonsense. Our teeming brothers and sisters resident in the FCT are looking up to us for what will benefit them just as their neighbours are benefitting from their own tribal communities. In this new era of change, we cannot continue this way; it is unacceptable to me.”

Oba Salau insisted that there was no leadership problem in Yoruba community in the FCT and said: “I am the only person so chosen by the Ona of Abaji, Alhaji Adamu Baba Yunusa as the paramount traditional ruler and leader of Yoruba Community. I am quite aware of my enormous power
“The fact that I allowed everybody to operate freely does not mean I am weak. Henceforth, I have resolved to put an end to this disgrace and embarrassments. My actions to some extend are to bring sanity and honour to the Yoruba community, FCT where it will earn us greater peace and progress,” he stated.

Oba Salau, certainly, did not stop there as he announced the prohibition of proliferation of Obaship titles in the FCT, saying that the action was in line with the authority conferred on him by the Ona Abaji and chairman, Council of Traditional Rulers in FCT, Alhaji Adamu Baba Yunusa.
According to him, “Henceforth, there is only one Obaship title in the whole of FCT, which is my own: the Oba of Yoruba Abuja, while the rest will be known and addressed as Chief of Yoruba in the respective villages as my representatives in all the satellite towns and villages and they are expected to report back to me the activities of the Yorubas in the council areas

“Anybody or group of persons that move about parading themselves as leaders of Yoruba Community in Abuja, without my knowledge, for instance, the so-called Egbe Omo-Odua Yoruba in FCT, will henceforth be dealt with and treated as fraudsters.”
“Any Chief without my approval that moves around parading himself as Chief of Yoruba in any part of the FCT, for instance, those whose certificates as Yoruba leaders do not emanate from my office, will be dealt with and treated as fraudsters,” he added.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/node/21843

this is how they continue to disgrace a whole race by parading themselves as their representatives.These people have not impacted on any body's life and dont care if all Yorubas are locked up in any cell. The major cause if this problem is was he even elected by the Yorubas in the FCT?
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 04, 2015
dewstar:

That is why it is wise to always look before you leap. Before you mock others, take a good look at yourself first. This goes to both the Igbos and Yorubas that spend all their days senselessly mocking themselves on this forum and elsewhere. Don't forget that God is the ultimate mocker.

N.B. Ignorance is no excuse.

Why did you quote me?

Any true born and bred Yoruba will never contest or submit to that Obaundecided. In fact he should be arrested sefundecided

1 Like

Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 04, 2015
rhames:

this is how they continue to disgrace a whole race by parading themselves as their representatives.These people have not impacted on any body's life and dont care if all Yorubas are locked up in any cell. The major cause if this problem is was he even elected by the Yorubas in the FCT?

Obas are not electedundecided
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by dewstar: 8:22pm On Dec 04, 2015
daretodiffer:

Why did you quote me?

Any true born and bred Yoruba will never contest or submit to that Obaundecided. In fact he should be arrested sefundecided

It's obvious from the op that the obaship in question did not start yesterday. The fact that you have been so ignorant about it all this while does not mean it has not always been there. Are you trying to tell me the subjects and people submitting to the oba there in abuja all these while are not true bred Yorubas, are you more Yoruba than them?

If the Obaship over there is not taken serious, why then are they fighting over it? Be reminded that the Oba was elected by the Yorubas in the FTC, off course you are more Yoruba than them. Are you also saying your Obas down here have been as ignorant as you are about these other obas up there in the north? Give yourself the answers to these question and stop living in denial and pretense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 04, 2015
funkiebully:

They are intimidated by igbo determination for success. U know when one can't catch up, he tries to pull down.

How can igbos be land grabbers when igbos that die in Lagos are not buried in their houses in Lagos but taken to east.

Igbos don't have their time, let the hypocrites keep crying, they are surprised with igbos determination

It's even amazing how these pples' music artistes(Tiwa Savage n co) were screaming on DSTV saying; "Say No To Xenophobia!" during S/A vs Nigerian saga last yr but have refused to say anything about this on going Igbophobia in Western lands.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by chidinwachukwu(m): 1:56am On Dec 05, 2015
tinobrace:

Imagine!

Just look at yourself
Idi...iot of no Comparison. see these yoruber's that share ancestry with Chimpanzees and gorillas.sometimes I wonder you people and Gorillas who black pass,with you flat ugly nose.Ewu
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by madenigga(m): 8:02am On Dec 05, 2015
macof:

undecided and you go as far as insulting a yoruba ancestor. . See why people hate you igbos? ? When has anyone insulted ur ancestors? Most of whom you don't even know undecided

What's my business with him? His Obaship makes no sense as an Oba rules over all people of the land not a few people. Who made him Oba? What do we even need an Oba yoruba in Abuja for? I don't believe a yoruba man can disgrace the yoruba like this
but if its igbos immediately u guys wud start shouting crucify him... crucify him.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by macof(m): 8:30am On Dec 05, 2015
madenigga:

but if its igbos immediately u guys wud start shouting crucify him... crucify him.

And you've not seen yorubas bashing him here undecided
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Nobody: 9:29am On Dec 05, 2015
raumdeuter:
Some people don dey impersonate Yorubas

Remove their cap and check the shape of their head first

You have no shame at all, look at Yorubas struggling for Oba title in faraway Gwari land, why don't you respect ya host?

You come here everyday to tell us that Yorubas don't do titles outside their land but you see ya life now?

Yes, check the shapes of their heads, I am sure they would be like large cones, also check for tiger scratches, lol.
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 07, 2021
quote author=Truthbeatslies post=104524838]The true history of the yoruba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llporKrPsbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hU-ibkPfg

Please kindly help me locate one of these 5 things:

1) ife empire
2) bight of ife
3) bight of yoruba
4) ife battle against britain
5) ife republic[/quote]
Re: Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT by TAO11(f): 7:09pm On Aug 07, 2021
DEBUNKED!

Truthbeatslies:
[s]The true history of the yoruba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIporKrPsbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hU-ibkPfg

[/s]
I have debunked this false video many, many times. See one of my comments below:

(1) Regarding your bitter lies about the trans-Atlantic slave trade, the following piece-by-piece devastating refutation:

(A) Contrary to your ignorance, captives weren’t taken from “all across Africa” as you imagined.

Rather, captives were taken from Central Africa and West Africa — including people from Benin kingdom whom the Nupe, the Ibadan, Ogedengbe, etc. raided.

(B) Contrary to your ignorance, the Yoruba people have long been known by the name Yoruba (and they’ve been living in their present homeland) for centuries prior to the period when ex-captives began to be returned to Africa.

We know this because the process of returning ex-captives back ‘home’ to West Africa didn’t begin until circa the late-1700s.

Whereas, there are manuscripts written in the early-1600s which list Yorubas (by their name Yoruba) among some of the ethnic groups of our region of West Africa.

This manuscript which was written by Ahmed Baba in 1615 is attached below.

The name Yoruba is shown in red highlight (among the other ethnic groups) as can be seen in the original manuscript as well as in the translation embedded below respectively:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934148_5117c6d550154217817d7c66b5fa0fe6_jpeg_jpeg2a73d5172c14cf7a7da91ff200688e3e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934147_3336ed29985b499e82c4e140b455b9fa_jpeg_jpeg62ecafabb59c692d4ba471597fdf16bb

This translation was prepared by John Hunwick and Fatima Harrak for The Institute of African Studies Rabat, Morocco

Oh, I should add that we know that this manuscript was written by Ahmad Baba in the year 1615 because he himself penned his date as highlighted (in the attached verso) below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13082305_6e49d8d129844a578af9272699e1586a_jpeg_jpeg2d5891d724a6428e2c0f4e6898bd60cc

The highlight here literally shows the wording “(the year) one thousand and twenty four (of the Hijrah)”.

When converted from this Hijri “AH” calendar into our Gregorian “AD” calendar; the year 1024 AH falls into the year 1615 AD

The formula “D = 0.9692*H + 622” proves practically useful for this conversion.

In sum, your falsehood that returned-slaves (from all across Africa) are what became known as Yorubas is nothing but a but-hurt lie from a depressed bald-head.

(C) These ex-captives who were of West-African origin and Central African origin were repatriated directly to Sierra-Leone and Liberia.

Some began a new life there, while some decided to go back to their homeland from which they were taken ab-initio.

Nobody was repatriated to south-West Nigeria, bald-head.

A number of Yorubas among the returnees chose to return back to Yorubaland — just as many others who returned to their respective original homeland.

(2) The only ethnic-group whom I know of who couldn’t fight their way to freedom and be returned back to Africa are ……. [take a guess].

They couldn’t think of returning until about 400 years later when some of their descendants decided to tap into the science of Genetics as a guide to finding their way back home. ~ See video. below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDve0rwQbM

The two attachments below also shows some earlier corroborative confessions made available to Dr. R. E. Bradbury by these people themselves.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996709_af6378be36104010b036a2f7ab4096cd_jpeg_jpeg07ca8a3f5b191f4126cdcd6bf2f7faf7

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996710_b28de88ee10a4b7a83b95532f6609396_jpeg_jpegaca1a6203806c9d893c79b42b9a6c76e

[s]Please kindly help me locate one of these 5 things:
1) ife empire
2) bight of ife
3) bight of yoruba
4) ife battle against britain
5) ife republic[/s]

(1) Occupying a key site on the route from the Bend to Ife, Oyo was probably one of the earliest-founded provincial capitals in the Ife empire.

~ Robin Horton, “Ancient Ife,” (1979), p.115.

(2) A ”bight” is a feature of a water body (Atlantic ocean in this case).

Ife, in contrast, is deep in the Yoruba interior. It is in no way near the Atlantic coast.

How could the 1400s Portuguese then have named a part of the Atlantic Ocean (the bight) after it?

You see your life? cheesy See how you embarrassed yourself, family and friends.

(3) Yoruba is not one kingdom. It is a land of free-borns, where each of its many kingdoms has got some sovereignty.

As such, the bight could not have been named after a land as a whole. It was named after one of the two major polities near the coast — particularly the one which the Portuguese first had trade relations with.

Of the two major kingdoms near the coast in the late 1400s when the Portuguese first arrived, only Benin kingdom was willing to sell its people. The bight was thus named after that kingdom whom they knew.

*It wasn’t until in the 1520s before Benin embargoed the sale of its men (allowing only women) due to fear of depopulation of able-bodied men.

(4) First of all, Britain didn’t have any fight with Benin. It was a punishment, not a fight. It is called a “punitive expedition” for a reason. A punishment in relation to which Ovoramwen recanted and trembled in court.

Imaging “canning” a child as a punitive measure for mis-behaviors, and then the child suddenly turning around to say s(he) had a fight with you. No be juju be that? cheesy

There was no reason to punish Ife, hence no such expedition happened there. Instead, they helped to end the ongoing wars within Yorubaland.

(5) The country called Benin Republic did not take its name from Benin kingdom. Neither does it relate to Benin kingdom.

The country’s former name was “Dahomey” — a name which doesn’t reflect the diverse ethnicities in the country.

The name “Benin” (after the bight which the country sits on) was then settled for due to its neutrality.

In the late 19th century French colonizers making inroads from the coastal region into the interior borrowed the name of the defeated Dahomey kingdom for the entire territory that is now Benin; the current name derives from the Bight of Benin

~ https://www.britannica.com/place/Benin

In contrast, an entire group of people in today’s Togo, have insisted to be known by the name IFE. Yes, it is the “Ife” of present Nigeria they want to be associated with.

Yoruba language is being spoken in Benin Republic. Tell me where (outside of Edo state) Bini language is beinig spoken. cheesy

Peace! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ethiopians Are Caucasion-video / My Tribal Marks / The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.