Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba (15409 Views)

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 5:12am On May 30, 2009
News:

Oba Palace bans open air display of palm fruit bunches

BENIN CITY- The Palace of the Oba of Benin, has banned the open display of palm fruit bunches in markets, roadsides and conveying of same in trucks, tippers, lorries, etc, through Benin City and its environs.

A press statement signed by the Secretary, Benin Traditional Council, Chief Osaro Idah, made available to The NIGERIAN OBSERVER, in Benin City, yesterday, explained that the act is forbidden in Benin custom.

According to the statement, “the above practice has been from time immemorial a taboo and highly forbidden because it leads to pre-mature death, accident, bloodletting and other evil.”

The release further explained that the ban had become necessary owing to revelations made available to the palace by the Ohen-Osa of Holy Aruosa Cathedral and other palace traditionalists, that the practice brings bad omen.

While noting that the palace is aware of the economic potentials and values of palm fruits; the statement subsequently advised traders and big time farmers dealing on palm produce to always sort out the palm-fruits, or pick the palm-fruits from the bunches before transporting them to different locations for milling purpose of selling them to the consumers.

The palace therefore charged leaders and elders of various streets, wards, and communities to check the activities of sellers, farmers and millers in their respective areas with a view to complying with the directive, just as it advised individuals and groups to pray to God Almighty and the ancestors to ward off evil from the land, and to let peace reign in Benin Kingdom in particular, and Edo State and Nigeria in general.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Let me get this straight; palm fruits brings evil shocked
What does cassava bring
Yeah, how about cocoa? It brings rainfall in December, and erectile dysfunction in men over 70 who prefer teenage girls?
Yam? Oh, can't touch this one: it brings all sorts of bad omen: inability to coupulate, inability to avoid malaria, too much mammy-water for the household wey dey chop yam without respect cool
How about corn? Do you know how many people became afflicted with the devil for eating corn. The more corn a man eats the less his life span in proportion to the number of corn seeds consumed per annum cry
Who needs all this evil cash crops when the Almighty God has already blessed us with the real thing: crude oil wink
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Jakumo(m): 6:36am On May 30, 2009
We must go much further than merely banning the open display of palm fruits in Benin. Legislature must be hurried through that will place a FATWA on ALL palm trees, so that teams of chain-saw operators can then be sent forth to fell all of those leafy bastards found growing within Nigeria's territorial boundaries, and when that is done, similar death sentences can be placed on all standing trees in the country, so that they too can face the wrath of the bulldozers and chainsaws, to preempt any and all SPIRITUAL attacks on Nigeria

Kill the trees ! Kill the trees ! Kill the trees !

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by kosovo(m): 7:13am On May 30, 2009
the fact is that, in Nigeria these things are not Superstitious but happens realtime.
it was visible when formal governor was dreading ikpoba river, the water god warned against it, but they refused, and what happened,
countless accident to motorist using that road,
more deat,
machines refused to work.
and many stuffs that happened,

until when the government went to beg the oba of benin for assistance.
so the oba, and his chief priest, including his chiefs went and did some sacrifice.

lol, a life Cow was brought, the chief priest did some incatations and left the cow, immediately the cow ran all by itself into the river. and there was never deaths nor machine failure. grin
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Jakumo(m): 8:37am On May 30, 2009
kosovo:

a life Cow was brought, the chief priest did some incantations and left the cow, immediately the cow ran all by itself into the river. and there was never deaths nor machine failure. grin

Kosovo I am hugely relieved to hear that it was a LIFE cow who was sacrificed to make that pot-hole riddled highway absolutely safe for even the most suicidal driver. As a precaution, though, I move that ALL COWS IN NIGERIA should be be killed at once and eaten, so as to prevent satanic bovine invasions or Jujuological attacks, whether by Life Cows or Death Cows. Better safe than sorry.

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by ifyalways(f): 8:48am On May 30, 2009
Rofl  cheesy
Superstitious beliefs.I have always known that Benins forbid that anyway,not new.
kosovo:

the fact is that, in Nigeria these things are not Superstitious but happens realtime.
it was visible when formal governor was dreading ikpoba river, the water god warned against it, but they refused, and what happened,
more deat,

so the oba, and his chief priest, including his chiefs went and did some sacrifice.

lol, a life Cow was brought, the chief priest did some incatations and left the cow, immediately the cow ran all by itself into the river. and there was never deaths nor machine failure. grin
Something like this was "claimed" to have happened when Julius Berger was doing the "njaba bridge" in Imo state.They said their machines and trucks refused to work,workers die and countless accidents till Julius berger flew in some "Oyinbo witches" to deal with the "water god. . . a Big Pyton".lol
stories we hear  cheesy
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 9:01am On May 30, 2009
“the above practice has been from time immemorial a taboo and highly forbidden because it leads to pre-mature death, accident, bloodletting and other evil.”

so what have we been havng since.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 11:53am On May 30, 2009
Respect other peoples culture!

If muslims, christians and jews can say they don't eat pork or what ever else they say they forbid then, why can't one of the oldest living kingdoms in the world make a statement like this without your criticism.

Oba Gha To 'Kpere
Ise !

PS. Is this politics?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 1:26pm On May 30, 2009
Oba gha to okpere ise!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by redsun(m): 2:29pm On May 30, 2009
I am more or less a traditionalist,but i find this retrogressive.Benin city is a state capital not a village.The oba should wise up to the time.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 3:01pm On May 30, 2009
redsun:

I am more or less a traditionalist, but i find this retrogressive.Benin city is a state capital not a village.The oba should wise up to the time.

How is it retrogressive? Only those who do not know the edo culture or system will question this. The fact of the matter is that, there will be 100% compliance with this edict nobody wants to be 'Oghion oba'.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by redsun(m): 7:09pm On May 30, 2009
Everything about palm tree,from the palm fronds,to the fibers,to the fruits,to kernel,to the shell and the finally to shaft is money and vital.

He should be talking about how to maximize the potentials of palm tress for all to benefit,not static traditions

Yes,there should be some kind of controls but not because the gods are angry but because we want to innovate,we make the rules and draw the lines,it our natural endowment to control our spiritual and physical world.We are all that exist,our imaginations.

Reckless accidents happen because the roads are bad,the vehicles are bleeped up,,over loaded and unmaintained,drivers are in most cases drunk and stupid,no rules.

Even in england where there are traffic rules,people die from road accidents almost every day,talk less of a concrete jungle like nigeria.

The oba is suppose to be educated,he should know better,anyway,it is some kind of control over the people,like a spell.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 7:33pm On May 30, 2009
The original article didn't mention road accidents, another poster did. We should respect other peoples culture and religious beliefs. We wouldn't expect muslims or jews to turn to pig farming despite the inherent economic benefits.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by MrCrackles(m): 7:35pm On May 30, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by MaiSuya(m): 7:48pm On May 30, 2009
kosovo:

more deat,

Bullsh*t! I happen to be in Benin during that period and I know that resistance to the dredging project came as a result of the huge resources that the then govenor (Lucky) wanted to expend on it. I don't remeber cow running into river. . .
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 8:27pm On May 30, 2009
Bullsh*t! I happen to be in Benin during that period and I know that resistance to the dredging project came as a result of the huge resources that the then Governor (Lucky) wanted to expend on it. I don't remember cow running into river. . .

thank god for that , me think i was Reading a nollywood script there.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by bawomolo(m): 8:37pm On May 30, 2009
kosovo:

more deat,

praise he the lord
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Baro(m): 9:38pm On May 30, 2009
Not all what you don't know is false or inexistent.

Respect Tradition; this is Africa!

OBA GHA TO OKPERE . . . . . .

ISE . . . . .   .
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by redsun(m): 9:52pm On May 30, 2009
Uku-okporlorkpolor.By tradition,they(benin obas) always have to confer with my ancestors for them to be seated,age old tradition,but we need to sift through,evolve and leave an updated traditions for the nest generation.

Tradition is a way of life and life is not static.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 30, 2009
SapeleGuy:

If muslims, christians and jews can say they don't eat pork or what ever else they say they forbid then, why can't one of the oldest living kingdoms in the world make a statement like this without your criticism.

Oba Gha To 'Kpere
Ise !

no mind all this follow follow people, that don,t know their left from their right, directionless, cultureless, visionless,
ode remo link=topic=278029.msg3949280#msg3949280 date=1243670492:

“the above practice has been from time immemorial a taboo and highly forbidden because it leads to pre-mature death, accident, bloodletting and other evil.”

so what have we been havng since.
that,s cause you don,t follow ur traditions from time immemorial

PS. Is this politics?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 1:15am On May 31, 2009
Is the oba an illiterate?
what type of stupid law is that?
Has he found a remedy to armed robbery and killings in Benin city
Well Benin is a city riddled with fetish practices I'm not surprised.
Don't they use human heads to bury the oba when he dies.
Nigerians and stupidity.
Tradition by hammer toes.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 1:19am On May 31, 2009
So what do the evil spirits use the palm fronds for? cheesy cheesy
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sage(m): 3:46am On May 31, 2009
if they call us monkey now we go dey vex. see our stupidity on display sad
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 4:21am On May 31, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Oba Gha To 'Kpere
Ise !

PS. Is this politics?

You make my head hurt embarassed
Your comparison with not-eating porks by some religions is lame, because on one hand you're talking about religion, on the other, you're requesting that your culture be respected.
Religion is not culture.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 5:08am On May 31, 2009
Oba of Benin, I respect your belief but I disagree with your commands. This is democratic age we don't need any monarch to give rule and order. I appreciate all the efforts put through by dynasty for ages, but it's only democracy that sets the difference. Instead of kings supporting things that will foster the prosperity of their subjects, they conversely worsen the life of subjects.
The only thing we worship in Nigeria is fear, the fear emanated from so called tradition through cajole consequences of taboo and ambumination. Later incorperated into religion, where messengers of God make false prophed and instill fear into gullible minds.
People of Benin free yourselves from tradition shackles, only the king's family and chiefs get richer and the subjects get poorer. It's only democratic elected leader that has the power to forbid and cancel any act of practices. In Nepal, they think like we think in Nigeria, they so much believe in tradition and monarch, nobody taught them last year when they deposed 1200 years century monarch and reinstated democratic elected leaders.
Someone says they appease the gods to reduce the road accidents, I would say it's a complete lie. Urge government to convert all our major roads to international standard and let they be effectively managed with speed limit signs, road signs, no pot holes and road safety officers working diligently. I bet you there would be no more accidents on the road. I remember I traveled from Lagos to Ibadan, my car speedometer is 220km/h and I was moving at 150km/h through out my entire journey just to get there on time. But I tried the same thing in America, I was moving at just 110km/h and all of a sudden I saw three police cars turned the headlights on: but didn't even know that I was the one they were chasing and at the end of the day they gave me a warning and a ticket of $150 fine. I just draw that analogy to show if there is proper management the lost of life on our roads will greatly be reduced.
Someone talks about pork, I would say all animals on the face of earth are created by God for eating. Exception to some few cases where some animals are not good for human consumption, maybe because of fat contents or poisonous substance in part of their body. Forbidden of food to eat or how to act is just human calculation, created by the power to tame the less privileged.
Christianity started way long before Islam, but when Islam came in, he studied all the likes and don'ts in Christianity and despised how Christians enamor with pork and forbids Muslims not to eat pork. The same thing in India, it's forbidden to eat cow which is a basic merriment for a large occasion in Nigeria.
If eating Pork will not let Muslims enter heaven, I bet you 95% of Muslim brothers in USA will not enter heaven. Because white folks loved pork a lot and made it available in large and unimaginable variety. If you are eating bacon, hams, sausages and cookies or drinking gatorade, Dr pepper and cool aid just to name few, I bet you have eaten a pork one way or the other.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by gbolahan1(m): 6:24am On May 31, 2009
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by trisurface: 8:08am On May 31, 2009
i'm torn between my predominant beliefs as a christian,My respect for others traditions and my love for Benin town.
this is what i know.
Benin indigenes are some of the most brilliant people i know. succes in Business,Academia,socially outstanding etc.
the King has been mostly benovelent. the man is an INSTITUTION.
but i cant help but note that few people, especially other monarchs argue with the Omonoba. unlike in others states, where there's controversy over headship of the traditional kings council, for benin, no one dey argue.
the Kingship is not above the constitution of the federal republic or state.
in Christianity, we've learnt not to fight God's wars for him-His hand's not too short, neither is he deaf!
On the same lines, the law can defend itself.
if the Oba has transgessed people's freedoms & trampled the law, let the law take its course.
At the bottom of my heart, i keep on hearing the refrain-"All you know is not all there is to know"
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by eldee(m): 10:27am On May 31, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Oba Gha To 'Kpere
Ise !

PS. Is this politics?
Your point is really valid . . . I think traditional african religions are disrepcted even in Nigeria
A Christian sect prays for death to people and it's cool, Sango worshippers do the same thing and it's voodoo

But I think you're using the wrong analogy . . . the closest thing to this is the ban of the sale of alcohol in some nothern states.
If muslims won't complain bout that, then they have no right to complain bout this case.
I'm not saying I support this.

@naijaking1
How hard is it for you to undertand that religion is the most influential part of Benin culture??
This is a simple case of religious norms being put in the wider society.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 11:23am On May 31, 2009
$osisi:

Is the oba an illiterate?
what type of stupid law is that?
Has he found a remedy to armed robbery and killings in Benin city
Well Benin is a city riddled with fetish practices I'm not surprised.
Don't they use human heads to bury the oba when he dies.
Nigerians and stupidity.
Tradition by hammer toes.
Clearly, you represent all that is good about your culture and ethnicity.
If you have any proof of the 'human heads to bury the Oba' please let us see. Even eyewitness accounts will do.
On the other hand there is ample evidence at okija as well culinary cannibalism that is reputed to take place in your zone. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

naijaking1:

You make my head hurt embarassed
Your comparison with not-eating porks by some religions is lame, because on one hand you're talking about religion, on the other, you're requesting that your culture be respected.
Religion is not culture.
'Culture can be defined as the behaviors and religious beliefs or characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group.'
As your head is already hurting, I will stop here. Next time you should try and deal with simple concepts that you can understand.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sley4life(m): 11:33am On May 31, 2009
sage:

if they call us monkey now we go dey vex. see our stupidity on display sad

True talk my bro. That's why the western countries keep laying insult on us. In this modern era the oba should be saying this. If him die now dem go look for innocent human head take bury am.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by hackney(m): 12:14pm On May 31, 2009
Hey Guys , leave the oba alone.
After all,we are the dark continent!!

LMAO cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy shocked cheesy
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by presido1: 12:27pm On May 31, 2009
ifyalways:

Superstitious beliefs.I have always known that Benins forbid that anyway,not new.Something like this was "claimed" to have happened when Julius Berger was doing the "njaba bridge" in Imo state.They said their machines and trucks refused to work,workers die and countless accidents till Julius berger flew in some "Oyinbo witches" to deal with the "water god. . . a Big Pyton".lol
stories we hear cheesy
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Julius Berger for where?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Benuromi: 12:34pm On May 31, 2009
I was shock and suprised to hear this from educated people ( if really they really went through education or education went through them). i respect oba but i believe his advisers should think very well before making such law. Majority of death is due to human Errol. look at the bad roads, the government seems to turn blind eyes. some of the driver are not making things easy by driving reckless without caution on the pot holes we have on our major roads. There is nothing like evil spirit or evil course. what they ( oba`s and his adviser ) do, let them speak to the government to make all our road accessable, make traffic law, recruit more traffic corp, check the standard or MOT of those cars if they are really road worthy, education the driver about safely of driving on the road and some other road safely law. I think some of those thing will reduce road accident and death than ban palm fruit which are source of some people in come. even in European which are more advance than Nigeria, their is still accident and death but we can only reduce road accident as some are human and mechanical Errol. Live and let live. God bless you all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Beautiful City Of Kano / Hii! Vot For This Half Kenyan/nigerian Girlll Miss--competition / Ukwuani People, This Is For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.