Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard (20878 Views)

The Bayelsa Election: A Lesson For The Igbos / Early Results From Bayelsa Election -vanguard / Bayelsa Election: APC Cars Spotted In The Streets Of Bayelsa(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by egift(m): 5:11am On Dec 05, 2015
There are indications that the outcome of today’s governorship election in Bayelsa State may go a long way in determining the future political relevance of former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Jonathan, an indigene of Bayelsa State from Ogbia council area was defeated at the last presidential election by the candidate of the All Progressive Congress, APC, Muhammadu Buhari.

Though Jonathan has lived a relatively quiet life since leaving office, shuttling between his Otuoke country home and Abuja and appearing twice at PDP events, such as the party primary where the incumbent Governor, Seriake Dickson, was affirmed as the party candidate for today’s polls and the mega rally where Dickson was presented the party flag, he is expected to lead some other members of the party from his Otuoke ward to cast their votes.

For Jonathan, combating the APC challenge may prove to be a Herculean task, the same challenge that sent him packing from the Aso Rock Presidential Villa last May.

Saturday Vanguard investigations showed that unlike in the past when the Ogbia people voted en bloc for their preferred candidates, the scenario may be slightly different today based on sharp divisions among his kinsmen, a development said to be linked to Jonathan’s alleged neglect of his home front.

It is the contention of the people that for the years he was away in Abuja, he did not do much to transform the Ogbia Kingdom.

The people argue that the only road leading to their council headquarters in Ogbia main town was riddled with potholes when he could have used his position to influence the development of the area and also empower his people.

This is the sad reality from the home front, according to a source who pleaded anonymity. “While some are sympathetic and are ready to support his party, the PDP, some others prefer to vote for the opposition APC.

Accordingly, the outcome of the election may decide the political future and relevance of the man who was once adored by his people many of whom were optimistic that he would use his botched second coming to make up for his failure to meet their developmental needs.

Jonathan’s political survival, according to observers of the unfolding event in the state, will be dependent on the success of his political godson, Governor Seriake Dickson.

However, some staunch supporters of the party are confident that Dickson will triumph at the polls citing his performance in the areas of critical infrastructure and the education sector.

According to them, it is unthinkable to think of PDP defeat in the governorship polls as anything contrary may spell doom for the status and personality of the former President.

PDP losing the election will be one defeat too many for Jonathan, who is already trying to recuperate from the loss of the last presidential election. Another defeat at the home front will signal the end of his domination in the political affairs of the state and indeed, the country.

Since the end of 2005 when he became the governor of Bayelsa by a twist of fate, Jonathan has since come to assume the role of a major power broker in the state.

Jonathan favours Dickson against the candidacy of a former governor of the state, Chief Timipre Sylva, of the APC.

Jonathan who attended Dickson’s re-election kickoff campaign last September at Otuoke had explained that, “when he told me that he wanted to declare for second term, I said he should go ahead and I told him that I would be here when he would be presented with the flag of the party.”

Jonathan who was at a time Deputy Governor and later Governor of Bayelsa State is believed to have vowed to unleash his wealth of political experience to ensure that Dickson secures the governorship seat.

Addressing PDP supporters during a rally last week, Jonathan described Bayelsa as a stronghold of the PDP even as he argued that Dickson had performed well and qualified to be given another chance. According to Jonathan, “for the past 16 years, being a pioneer Deputy Governor and Governor at the state level, Vice-President and President of our country, I am in a position to say that Dickson has tried and he is still trying.

“You can see that within this short period, Dickson has been able to build a flyover and dualize a number of roads in Yenagoa. He has been able to build Toru-Ebeni Bridge.

“These are signs of development in a town that is growing to be a city. We should all be concerned about what Bayelsa will be in the next 25 years and beyond, and not what we want to gain today.

“I have looked at his policies and programmes and I am convinced that he is visionary. He is preparing Bayelsa State for tomorrow.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/bayelsa-polls-jonathan-battles-to-save-face/
Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Firefire(m): 5:14am On Dec 05, 2015
Dem liars don come. cheesy

APC is desperate to rule the 36 states of the federation by hook or by crook, why ?

In another news in support of the above...

Thumb-printing Of Ballot Papers Reportedly Going On At Hoil Suite In Yenogoa, the hotel is owned by a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

https://www.nairaland.com/2781633/thumb-printing-ballot-papers-going-hoil

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by HungerBAD: 5:16am On Dec 05, 2015
Jonathan?he lost a long time ago.

Still reading your post.

Finished the post and my Conclusion?it will be a tight race,but the PDP will lose woefully. PDP will lose for one simple reason, Jonathan did not do well, and i am sure Bayelsan's have been following the story of how, he gave Billions to Dasuki,Dokpesi and Bafarawa.

Monies that could have been used to develop his State.

Yes, the PDP will lose Bayelsa, and then Goodluck Jonathan, can finally go into retirement waiting for the DSS/EFCC knock on his door, for crimes against humanity(Killing of the Nigerian Soldiers)

Rubbish.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Gboliwe: 5:17am On Dec 05, 2015
Childish thoughts.

His personal ambition was sacrificed now he has to save face by winning Bayelsa? At what point will you guys understand that Jonathan isn't interested in all these?

Jonathan is a quiet and peace loving man, he doesn't crave attention like the attention seekers in APC. When will these people understand this?

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Firefire(m): 5:26am On Dec 05, 2015
Gboliwe:
Childish thoughts.

His personal ambition was sacrificed now he has to save face by winning Bayelsa? At what point will you guys understand that Jonathan isn't interested in all these?

Jonathan is a quiet and peace loving man, he doesn't crave attention like the attention seekers in APC. When will these people understand this?

They will never understand, because they have hunger and thirst for power and to rule by force.

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by egift(m): 5:31am On Dec 05, 2015
Gboliwe:
Childish thoughts.

Losing in Bayelsa is a big slap on Jonathan. And the fact that PDP is struggling this badly for an election that should have been won in a landslide proves that PDP have not lived up to expectations after all these years.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Gboliwe: 5:35am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

Losing in Bayelsa is a big slap on Jonathan. And the fact that PDP is struggling this badly for an election that should have been won in a landslide proves that PDP have not lived up to expectations after all these years.

Again, it's very obvious Jonathan isn't bothered about this. The sooner you understand this, the better. For him, it has never been a do or die affair. Anybody who wins remains a Bayelsan and his brother. So stop the multiple orgazzzzzms you are having on this

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:36am On Dec 05, 2015
Jonathan has no political value. How can a man that could not "market" himself in the last presidential election campaigns now "markets" Seriake Dickson? A palour mate on the Palour Show on Radio Continental on Sunday decribed the ex-President as having "no head".

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by cktheluckyman: 5:36am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

Only a confirmed slowpoke would expect the APC to win in Bayelsa!! Even if for no reason,the people of the SS/SE are not satisfied with PDP candidates,they would vote for another party but not the APC.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by likila: 5:39am On Dec 05, 2015
buhari had been losing in katsina since 1999.
and, insha allah, come 2019, he will lose again.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by egift(m): 5:44am On Dec 05, 2015

Gboliwe:
Again, it's very obvious Jonathan isn't bothered about this. The sooner you understand this, the better. For him, it has never been a do or die affair. Anybody who wins remains a Bayelsan and his brother. So stop the multiple orgazzzzzms you are having on this

@Bold:
How can you claim that a man who has been campaigning vigoriously for Dickson - "isn't bothered" about the outcome of this election?

21 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Gboliwe: 5:50am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

@Bold:
How can you claim that a man who has been campaigning vigoriously for Dickson - "isn't bothered" about the outcome of this election?

How many times did you read or see him campaigning vigorously for this election? The very one that should have mattered to him that he toured all regions for was so easy for him to call the senile terrorist and congratulate him well ahead of the results announcement. How much more this one that he can afford to sleep through it all or even decide not to vote. The man is a rare gem, a very different type of politician, I guess that's why it's difficult for attention seeking noisemakers like you guys in APC and blood thirsty politicians to grasp.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Meriekriss: 5:50am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

@Bold:

Sure you know what "campaigning vigorously" means??

4 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Gboliwe: 5:54am On Dec 05, 2015
Firefire:

They will never understand, because they have hunger and thirst for power and to rule by force.

Don't mind them. They expect Jonathan to act like the past presidents they are used to. They expect him to play dirty and probably go gangster. They have never had a posh politician/ex-president as such they want him to do what they expect from others but are disappointed dude isn't bothered enough to upturn events illegally

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by egift(m): 5:55am On Dec 05, 2015
Gboliwe:
How many times did you read or see him campaigning vigorously for this election? The very one that should have mattered to him that he toured all regions for was so easy for him to call the senile terrorist and congratulate him well ahead of the results announcement. How much more this one that he can afford to sleep through it all or even decide not to vote. The man is a rare gem, a very different type of politician, I guess that's why it's difficult for attention seeking noisemakers like you guys in APC and blood thirsty politicians to grasp.

This back and forth will do us no good. I stand by my opinion that Jonathan is Interested in the outcome of the governorship election and will above everything want a PDP victory. You can spin it however you want (every claim he has a mere passive interest), the fact remains, a victory for PDP is a face saving quest for Jonathan.

17 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Gboliwe: 5:58am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

This back and forth will do us no good. I stand by my opinion that Jonathan is Interested in the outcome of the governorship election and will above everything want a PDP victory. You can spin it however you want (every claim he has a mere passive interest), the fact remains, a victory for PDP is a face saving quest for Jonathan.

If that had been your stand from the onset, I won't even bother to post a comment. You were already having an ereection at the headline of the post. "Battling to save" and "interested in" connotes different meaning.

8 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by egift(m): 6:01am On Dec 05, 2015
Meriekriss:
Sure you know what "campaigning vigorously" means??

Gboliwe:

Don't mind them. They expect Jonathan to act like the past presidents they are used to. They expect him to play dirty and probably go gangster. They have never had a posh politician/ex-president as such they want him to do what they expect from others but are disappointed dude isn't bothered enough to upturn events illegally

cktheluckyman:

Only a confirmed slowpoke would expect the APC to win in Bayelsa!! Even if for no reason,the people of the SS/SE are not satisfied with PDP candidates,they would vote for another party but not the APC.

Firefire:

Here is Jonathan campaigning and begging for the people to vote dickson (not for his achievements), but to avoid people mocking him, How is that not a Face-Saving Plea?

If Dickson Loses APC Will Mock Me And My Wife – Jonathan
http://dailypost.ng/2015/09/08/pdp-is-an-ijaw-party-if-dickson-loses-apc-will-mock-me-and-my-wife-jonathan/

Save My Reputation, Don’t Let Gov Dickson and PDP Lose In Bayelsa – Jonathan
http://naijagood.com/save-my-reputation-dont-let-gov-dickson-and-pdp-lose-in-bayelsa-jonathan/

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Firefire(m): 6:02am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

Here is Jonathan campaigning and begging for the people to vote dickson (not for his achievements), but to avoid people mocking him, How is that not a Face-Saving Plea?

http://dailypost.ng/2015/09/08/pdp-is-an-ijaw-party-if-dickson-loses-apc-will-mock-me-and-my-wife-jonathan/

http://naijagood.com/save-my-reputation-dont-let-gov-dickson-and-pdp-lose-in-bayelsa-jonathan/

OLD news... grin

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Firefire(m): 6:04am On Dec 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

If that had been your stand from the onset, I won't even bother to post a comment. You were already having an ereection at the headline of the post. "Battling to save" and "interested in" connotes different meaning.

cheesy
Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Gboliwe: 6:04am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

SMH. That's "campaigning vigorously" indeed.

Next please...

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by egift(m): 6:06am On Dec 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

What is his interest in the governorship election that is not a battle to save face from double defeats?

Please don't get lost on semantics. Jonathan is only interested in it to save his reputation.

6 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Meriekriss: 6:07am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

Pls don't quote me again mindlessly if you can't answer my question.. Do you know what is campaigning vigorously??

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Gboliwe: 6:07am On Dec 05, 2015
egift:

What is his interest in the governorship election that is not a battle to save face from double defeats?

Please don't get lost on semantics. Jonathan is only interested in it to save his reputation.

Ride on mister if it makes you feel good. I don't do time-wasting back and forths.
Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by egift(m): 6:08am On Dec 05, 2015
Firefire:
OLD news... grin

Is it False? - NO
And is it about this very same election - YES

So what is all this "mgbeke" dance this early morning? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Firefire(m): 6:08am On Dec 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

SMH. That's "campaigning vigorously" indeed.

Next please...

Let me help the guy with the meaning of Vigorously...

vigorously cheesy
in a way that involves physical strength, effort, or energy; strenuously.

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Gboliwe: 6:09am On Dec 05, 2015
Firefire:

Let me help the guy with the meaning of Vigorously...

vigorously cheesy
in a way that involves physical strength, effort, or energy; strenuously.

grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by egift(m): 6:12am On Dec 05, 2015
Meriekriss:
Pls don't quote me again mindlessly if you can't answer my question.. Do you know what is campaigning vigorously??

What is more vigorous in an election than jumping on the Campaign trail and even addressing the crowd? I guess you may not have been involved in one to know that is the climax.

9 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 05, 2015
The title should be
" APC battles to steal mandate" Or "Jonathan battles to save Bayelsa from Evil conductors"

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by PassingShot(m): 6:15am On Dec 05, 2015
It's silly for anyone to think Jonathan isn't bothered by the outcome of Bayelsa election. Losing the presidential election can be excused on the ground that Bayelsa alone or even the SS/SE region could not have decided the outcome of that. What explanation will suffice for his candidate (Dickson) who is a sitting governor, to lose in Bayelsa where GEJ was a deputy governor and later a governor OTHER than OUTRIGHT REJECTION of his leadership?

If Jonathan had not campaigned for and with Dickson it could have made some sense (not much though) to claim that he isn't bothered. Not when he appeared with him on three occasions during the campaign window.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by cktheluckyman: 6:16am On Dec 05, 2015
I must add that PDP is at no risk whatseorever of losing today's election in Bayelsa state.Forget the media propaganda!! APC stands no chance at bayelsa state.

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by Babacele: 6:17am On Dec 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

How many times did you read or see him campaigning vigorously for this election? The very one that should have mattered to him that he toured all regions for was so easy for him to call the senile terrorist and him well ahead of the results announcement. How much more this one that he can afford to sleep through it all or even decide not to vote. The man is a rare gem, a very different type of politician, I guess that's why it's difficult for attention seeking noisemakers like you guys in APC and blood thirsty politicians to grasp.
y are u calling PMB senile terrorist? give me your reasons or you will force me to upgrade n skool you. your reasons please , I'm waiting o.

5 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard by cktheluckyman: 6:17am On Dec 05, 2015
PassingShot:
It's silly for anyone to think Jonathan isn't bothered by the outcome of Bayelsa election. Losing the presidential election can be excused on the ground that Bayelsa alone or even the SS/SE region could not have decided the outcome of that. What explanation will suffice for his candidate (Dickson) who is a sitting governor, to lose in Bayelsa where GEJ was a deputy governor and later a governor OTHER than OUTRIGHT REJECTION of his leadership?

Apart from media rants what is on ground to suggest that PDP is about losing bayelsa state and GEJ is panicky about it?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South West Governors Unite, Say, External Influence Wont Divide Us (PIC) / Buhari Visits Adamawa: Northern Governors Set To Welcome President (Photos) / Why APC Suspended Amosun, Okorocha, Osita Okechukwu, Usani Usani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.