Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,631 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian (20556 Views)

Abuja High Court Refuses To Stop INEC On Melaye’s Recall / Olisa Metuh To Drag EFCC To Court, Refuses To Eat Or Drink / What Justice Kolawole Said While Granting Dokpesi Bail...lere OLAYINKA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by myners007: 5:39am On Dec 05, 2015
THE Federal High Court, Abuja Division, has refused the bail application of former Chairman of DAAR Communications Plc, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, who is being held over his alleged complicity in money laundering involving N2.1 billion meant for arms purchase.

Instead, the court ordered Dokpesi’s counsel to put the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on notice to avail them the opportunity to appear before it on December 14, this year to show cause why Dokpesi, who has been in its custody for about a week, should not be granted conditional or unconditional bail.

Ruling on an exparte bail application argued by Dokpesi’s counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), Justice Gabriel Kolawole declined the relief sought.

In the exparte application filed on December 3, Ozekhome had prayed the court for an order to compel EFCC to produce Dokpesi who is presently in its custody.

He also prayed the court for an order admitting Dokpesi to bail on self-recognisance or liberal terms, pending his formal arraignment by the anti-graft agency.

The grounds of the exparte motion, among others, was that Dokpesi had been detained for over 48 hours without filing any criminal charge against him as required by law.

Dokpesi was also said to have on December 1, this year reported at the headquarters of the EFCC, following a telephone call to that effect, but was subsequently detained after several hours of unprepared interrogation.

Other grounds for the motion is that the offences against Dokpesi are ordinarily bailable, adding also that Dokpesi has no reason to jump bail, escape justice or interfere with witnesses.

Ozekhome said Dokpesi has no criminal antecedent or record and that because of his status in society, he should be granted bail on self-recognisance or in the most liberal terms.

Dokpesi was on December 1 arrested and detained in connection with money disbursed from the office of the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd).

When contacted, Ozekhome said: “I do not regard this as an arrest. If you are invited by the EFCC, that is not the same thing as an arrest.

“We got this information through a mere phone call. There is no warrant of arrest and as a well-respected obedient nationalist, Dokpesi decided to go and answer the invitation.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/12/court-refuses-dokpesi-bail/

1 Like

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by PassingShot(m): 5:41am On Dec 05, 2015
Great. It's good to see the judiciary refusing to be used as pawns by corrupt politicians.

The judiciary has in the time past let down Nigeria. Let's hope it has resolved to play the role of last man's hope against the cabals.

ButI I thought there was a report thay Dokpesi had left EFCC custody a few days back. Soothing to see people like Dokpesi, Dasuki, Yuguda. Bafarawa et al spending days with EFCC even before being charged to courts. I never thought a day like this could come so soon.

97 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by oluseyiforjesus(m): 5:42am On Dec 05, 2015
How I wish d pple dat enjoy d money with him too take part in his pain

1 Like

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by egift(m): 5:49am On Dec 05, 2015
Buying yeye Court Orders and Injunctions has been used by politicians to cover up their corrupt exploits. This must stop. If you have a case, lawyer up, go to court and clear your name.

45 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by Meriekriss: 5:52am On Dec 05, 2015
In as much as this APC govt has been manipulating the judiciary, it would be a welcome development if they cn manipulate the judiciary in order to jail these guys as long as they really stole.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by omooba969(m): 5:57am On Dec 05, 2015
Dok-pepsi, sacrificial lamb! grin

But we Nigerians are the main catalyst of corruption in this country. We know the politicians are robbers stealing from us thereby impoverishing our lives & standard of living but once they throw a party either celebrating birthday or giving their children out in marriage, we are the first to be there hailing them & shouting 'Rankadede, Sai baba, Chief chief, Eze-ego, Alhaji Alhaji, Baba alaiye...tuale grin e.t.c when in fact they(robber-politicians) should be afraid of reprisals either from the masses or the authority.

When shall we begin to ask for account of their stewardship? cool

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by Almaiga: 6:15am On Dec 05, 2015
After all the hate propaganda by Dokpesi and AIT against Buhari and APC during the last election, APC is finally having the last laugh. I noticed that AIT hardly discuss Dokpesi's arrest by the EFCC on their news and all their current affairs program's.

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by cktheluckyman: 6:19am On Dec 05, 2015
I thought Dokpesi has already been released by the EFCC?

3 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by Pavore9: 6:32am On Dec 05, 2015
Didn't know he is being detained by EFCC.
Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by disloman(m): 6:43am On Dec 05, 2015
Seems like the 30 newly appointed judges are up to the tasks given to them and end of impunity in the judiciary.God. Bless Nigeria.God bless. PMB.God bless Disloman.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by Swizdoe(m): 7:10am On Dec 05, 2015
This is what happens when you gamble and lose...... AIT went to far during the last election.

Meanwhile interested applicants should check my signature

5 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 05, 2015
Great job ....our Judiciary

"He also prayed the court for an order admitting Dokpesi to bail on self-recognisance or liberal terms, pending his formal arraignment by the anti-graft agency". So Dokpesi would face trial undecided

Where is lalasticlala sef? shocked shocked shocked

6 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by bettercreature(m): 7:25am On Dec 05, 2015
Pavore9:
Didn't know he is being detained by EFCC.
I'm confused,i heard he was on tv yesterday Maybe they are going to re-arrest him but for now he is not in EFCC custody,he is at home

3 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by vedaxcool(m): 7:29am On Dec 05, 2015
Welcomed development, dokpesi and co should not be given breathing space. Corruption almost destroyed us now is the time to hit back.

3 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by egift(m): 7:52am On Dec 05, 2015
Thank God the Judiciary is warming up to expectation.

4 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by koboko69: 7:55am On Dec 05, 2015
[s]
Meriekriss:
In as much as this APC govt has been manipulating the judiciary, it would be a welcome development if they cn manipulate the judiciary in order to[/s] jail these guys as long as they really stole.
Once the court judgement favors APC its manipulation. ..... when it favors PDP it is justice. Gerraaaaaofhereeeeee menh!

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by DICE234(m): 8:13am On Dec 05, 2015
Very good. Its not only people that stole 14K that dey would be sentencing to death by hanging, d Billion thieves should start suffering small small too

Meanwhile;

Imagination is the beginning of creation, are you a good web designer? Remember good design is good business, click my signature to register your services... someone somewhere needs your services.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by looseweight: 8:19am On Dec 05, 2015
He should refresh in kirikiri maximum prison for some time. What really baffled me is the way the money was distributed.

IAMLOOSEWEIGHT

1 Like

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by MrSmith007: 8:19am On Dec 05, 2015
We have Apc thieves too.. when will they be quizzed?

3 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by politricks: 8:20am On Dec 05, 2015
PassingShot:
Great. It's good to see the judiciary refusing to be used as pawns by corrupt politicians.

The judiciary has in the time past let down Nigeria. Let's hope it has resolved to play the role of last man's hope against the cabals.

ButI I thought there was a report thay Dokpesi had left EFCC custody a few days back. Soothing to see people like Dokpesi, Dasuki, Yuguda. Bafarawa et al spending days with EFCC even before being charged to courts. I never thought a day like this could come so soon.
The day anyone of them is finally jailed, i will buy Burukutu that day and drink to stupor.

5 Likes

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by Sijo01(f): 8:20am On Dec 05, 2015
I thought there was a thread that made fp here few days ago claiming the old thief have been release

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by Cutesexy1(f): 8:21am On Dec 05, 2015
Buhari is dealing wit dem

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by jimmytron: 8:21am On Dec 05, 2015
heard
Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by dyn1800: 8:22am On Dec 05, 2015
Pele dokpesi ..... Sure his lawyer is running outta steam
Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by sammyj: 8:22am On Dec 05, 2015
Obedient nationalist indeed. Imagine our lawyers fighting for a nationalist who deep his hand in our cookie jar with some corrupt set of swines allowing people to be killed by BH during the last clueless administration. Time will tell!!! cool undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by dammytosh: 8:22am On Dec 05, 2015
Thank God
Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by freemanbubble: 8:23am On Dec 05, 2015
bad
Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 05, 2015
x.x.x™
Re: Court Refuses Dokpesi Bail-the Guardian by dammytosh: 8:25am On Dec 05, 2015
MrSmith007:
We have Apc thieves too.. when will they be quizzed?

GEJ should have quizzed them but he was busy stealing and to him everything is political.

Besides, Bukola Saraki is APC

After APC, we will someday vote another party in. They will quiz them after all most APC thieves were former PDP armed robbers.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafra Currency To Begin Full Circulation In Biafra Land - IPOB / President Buhari Leaves Nigeria For China / Sowore Visits Daura, Exposes Bad Roads, Lack Of Power.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.