Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,827 members, 7,802,645 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? (7986 Views)

A Lady Shows Her Skills In Playing Basketball In High Heels(video,pics) / Kano Pillars Arrive Malaysia For Basketball Tournament (photos) / Anyone Play Basketball In Rumuagholu Area Of Port-harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by hienyimba(m): 3:50pm On Dec 05, 2015
The National Assembly can pass a law encouraging basketball in our schools.

If you do not contact your representative in the house and they do not pass a motion, nothing changes.
Motions are powerful and just one could change this.
Click me to Talk to your Rep. in the House
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 05, 2015
macuwon:
Nigerian basketball is characterized by government negligence, we have lots of youth wasting on the streets, not everyone can become a footballer.. Basketball could be set up properly, it would engage our youths meaningfully and even aid in job creation.
We seriously lack public basketball courts in nigeria, you only find public courts in very big schools or stadiums and millitary bases. And these locations are unaccessible to people far from this locations.
Am not much of a basketballer only because i could not find courts to play nearby. In lagos, i have to spend almost a thousand naira on transport in order to get to the closest basketball court to and fro.
Please yaba and surulere is too far for some of us, establish public courts in all the local government areas.

I stay around iju ishaga, if you know any public or private court around, please let me know.
no hope bro, just find a way to travel out.. I'm a basketball player too.. 6ft8 tall...
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by 360command: 4:06pm On Dec 05, 2015
Iju ishaga, the name sef dey make me fear not to talk of investing a bball court there.
Meanwhile, e get one nice standard bball court for ilupeju towards ilupeju bye-pass or towards cappa bus stop. U go see chicks dey play bball(no joke).
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:08pm On Dec 05, 2015
damton:
Football seems to have overshadowed all other sporting activities in Nigeria.
Books and education inclusive. Even though they are not sporting activities, Reading books is now seen as a yardstick for success in this country. That why you hear organisations giving scholarship to students and not to sportsmen and women
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Exxit(m): 4:18pm On Dec 05, 2015
TheCongo2:
OP, how old are you? How tall are you?
naawwwl height and age dont matter. kobe got drafted at the age 17 and lloyd is only 5'7
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by isalegan2: 4:30pm On Dec 05, 2015
re: Basketball
cc: Birdman
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by leighcon(m): 4:37pm On Dec 05, 2015
Agege stadium should be fine for you.
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by TheCongo2: 4:47pm On Dec 05, 2015
hienyimba:
The National Assembly can pass a law encouraging basketball in our schools.

If you do not contact your representative in the house and they do not pass a motion, nothing changes.
Motions are powerful and just one could change this.
Click me to Talk to your Rep. in the House

Representatives are busy seeking visas to the UK wink
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 05, 2015
360command:
Iju ishaga, the name sef dey make me fear not to talk of investing a bball court there.
Meanwhile, e get one nice standard bball court for ilupeju towards ilupeju bye-pass or towards cappa bus stop. U go see chicks dey play bball(no joke).

Kappa.

I played there through out my senior years in Baptist Academy.

A very nice court and I liked where it is cited.
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Petroking: 5:17pm On Dec 05, 2015
macuwon:
Nigerian basketball is characterized by government negligence, we have lots of youth wasting on the streets, not everyone can become a footballer.. Basketball could be set up properly, it would engage our youths meaningfully and even aid in job creation.
We seriously lack public basketball courts in nigeria, you only find public courts in very big schools or stadiums and millitary bases. And these locations are unaccessible to people far from this locations.
Am not much of a basketballer only because i could not find courts to play nearby. In lagos, i have to spend almost a thousand naira on transport in order to get to the closest basketball court to and fro.
Please yaba and surulere is too far for some of us, establish public courts in all the local government areas.

I stay around iju ishaga, if you know any public or private court around, please let me know.

Op. Locate Punch Estate around Mangoro Bus stop.. people actually get picked up from there

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Dirkcoyt: 5:42pm On Dec 05, 2015
armylord:
no hope bro, just find a way to travel out.. I'm a basketball player too.. 6ft8 tall...

The personal text on your profile oppose the gender you follow! What a paradoxical hypocrite.
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 05, 2015
For Nigeria to be good in basketball, there needs to be an elite national basketball academy created so that young Nigerian players can gain the skills needed to compete with the top players in the world. Most of the Nigerian players I've seen are just raw with no refined shooting ability or outstanding athelticism. There needs to be a system created that can teach Nigerian players how to be dynamic offensively and how to have a soft shooting touch. Defensively, they just need to go over certain details, because most African players are good on the defensive side.
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by ttmacoy: 6:59pm On Dec 05, 2015
Very true. And even football is not properly invested in at the grass roots to develop future players.

damton:
Football seems to have overshadowed all other sporting activities in Nigeria.
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by macfish101(m): 7:31pm On Dec 05, 2015
The situation is really bad in naija, whenever I want to play basket ball, I have to travel a long didtance frm where I stay to play for a few hours. I really wish they was a court around my neighbourhood.
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 05, 2015
macuwon:

Truth is the kids dont want to learn either
They are more fascinated by slam dunks and fancy crossovers
spend their fùcking time watching and1 mixtapes
footwork no basics
U see point guards who cant pass to save their lives
Look at our league. You have league players who cant set up a screen
And the league, dont get me started. Buhari needs to overhaul that cesspool of corruption

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by SouthernGuy(m): 9:21pm On Dec 05, 2015
To answer your question, Yes, there's hope for basketball in Nigeria. As someone said up there, Nigeria recently won the Afrobasket championship( even though a number of the players are US imports).

Truth is basketball in Nigeria hasn't gotten to the level of football but there are people who have been contributing there quota to give young talented players opportunities to play pro and travel abroad. Every lover of the game has to do their bit.

We just need to start looking away from the government and get the private sector involved.

Lastly I believe if you truly love the game and know you're very talented, you won't mind going to such distance to play. It will definitely pay off at some point. Like definitely.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 05, 2015
Op is right and it a fair enough request, football seems to be the highlight primary sport in Nigeria, yet not all can play due to whatever reason, e.g injury in some cases.

Plus there are a lot of tall Nigerian men whom would make great b.ball players cheesy
Dunk the hoop! kiss

I love basketball! It my favourite sport, wish I had the height sha, so I can dunk too embarassed

Well I can, if I use the trampoline cheesy cool

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by emperordavis: 9:01am On Dec 06, 2015
macuwon:

at o.p above like you admiration for basketball only few persons can play the game and also have passion for it at the same time..... if you are sure you are very good at BB contact me and let's have head to head conversation cause I can play the game very well tho not based here in 9ja drop ur email let me inbox u.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by bizgai(m): 10:45am On Dec 06, 2015
IT WOULD HAVE BEEN VICE VERNAL IF BASKETBALL WERE TO BE PLAYED ON PITCH WHILE FOOTBALLING IS ON COURT SIMPLY FOR THE COST OF SETTING UP A BBA
LL. COURT AS AGAINST FOOTBALL WHICH BY ITS NAME ONLY REQUIRES FOOT AND ANY OPEN SPA DO WHICH YOU CAN EASILY FIND. THIS IS THE REASON WE LAKE FORMIDABLE BBAL TEAM COZ THEY ALL PREFER TO GO ABROAD TILL EVERY LGA WAKE TO SETTING UP SPORT CENTRES AND RECREATION PARK WHICH WOULD AS WELL CREATE EMPLOYMENT FOR THIS YOUTH

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by hoophead: 1:41pm On Dec 06, 2015
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Jaypea98: 2:55pm On Dec 06, 2015
safarigirl:
basketball and tennis are the most popular sports in Nigeria outside of football.

In my school, there are basketball practices and games everyday by 4pm, while football happens only on 2nd semester.

Our boys recently won the Afrobasket, Nigerians tens to follow sports which we're sure of dominance to some extent against other African teams. A good followership will be dependent on great results and accessibility.

For now, EPL is easier to access than the NBA and we don't have players there as opposed to EPL
The fact that the D'Tigers won the Afrobasket doesn't change anything .
THAT COMPETITION WAS WON BY100% FOREIGN BASED PROS.
So their success didnt rub off on the game in Nigeria unlike CHAN Eagles and Afcon 2013 conquerors .
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by birdman(m): 12:37am On Dec 08, 2015
macuwon:

How many basketball threads are here on nairaland sef? I only know of one bball court in my neck of the woods in Lagos. And its owned by one of those staff clubs. Unless Chelsea stops existing tomorrow, football is the only game in town. Colonial influence is stronger than we would like to think. If you are waiting for govt that cant pay last months salary to build you bball courts, hehehehe...dey wait dia

The only hope is the same thing that brought the entertainment industry to where it is..you have to help yourself (as with everything else in Nigeria undecided)

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by bola565: 11:48am On Dec 10, 2015
[quote author=emperordavis post=40734289]

m. 6'10
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by easyelliot(m): 12:07pm On Dec 10, 2015
Invite Hakeem back to help from the ground up. After all he was our best player and one of the greatest to ever play this game.

Just putting it out there.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Becca001(f): 12:52am On Jan 03, 2016
I am an aspirant i have a huge passion for bball i stay in ketu lagos but i cant get a coach and a court to play/practice what i learnt online and my parent cant allow me go to a distant place. dont know if d pasion will die any help pls
Re: Any Hope For Basketball In Nigeria? by Horus(m): 10:45am On May 10, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBoc6m1hqC0

[size=15pt]Nigeria Basketball: The Road to Redemption [/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nwokorie Wins Gold In Paralympics Female Powerlifting / Arsenal Focus Now On Europa League, Says Emery, After Top 4 Hopes Fade / I Have A 100% Sure Secret To Virtual Bet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.