Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,237 members, 7,780,463 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:54 PM

Is Warming Up A Car In The Morning Good For The Car Engine Or Not ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Warming Up A Car In The Morning Good For The Car Engine Or Not ? (2266 Views)

Pictures Of The Car That Got Burnt At Onipan Bus Stop / See The Car That Caused Commotion In Lagos On Easter Day...photos / Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Warming Up A Car In The Morning Good For The Car Engine Or Not ? by heritage00(m): 10:15am On May 31, 2009
Hello Nairalanders,there has been an argument between me and my elder uncle that lives abroad,we were talking online and i told him to hang on i want to warm up my car before going out and he told me why would i warm up a car before driving it,says warming up a car before driving kills engine is that true please respond.
Re: Is Warming Up A Car In The Morning Good For The Car Engine Or Not ? by ElRazur: 3:11pm On May 31, 2009
Depending on the kind of car you are driving and other factors like Oil type etc.

Most cars comes with Cold car these days - hence the reason why you dont see the "choke function" on modern car anymore.

As for the type of oil, some oil are better improved and according to the manufacturer can stick to the moving parts of the engine hence reducing wear and tear in the morning. I think Castrol Magnatex oil makers and others like Mobil make claim of this with their products.

Over all, it is well known that engine tear and wear occurs when it's been a while the car was driven. So technically, your Uncle may be correct. Having said that, that is my opinion and others may have a different view.

EDIT

It should be noted that in colder climates, people have "Auto start" fitted on their car. This allows them to start the car remotely and once it is "warm" one can just go in and drive off.
Re: Is Warming Up A Car In The Morning Good For The Car Engine Or Not ? by komekn(m): 4:59pm On May 31, 2009
Heritage, I wonder, wonder no vex, its in the region of 30 degrees Celsius what on earth are you warming is the engine cold, another follow, follow tradition every body does it , so I will too.

You are just simply mashing up your engine by revving it up and possibly preventing your neighbours from having a early morning lay in bed. It is the one thing that wakes me up when I’m back and tells me I deh Naija.

If you want to know more ask sienna. shocked grin shocked grin
Re: Is Warming Up A Car In The Morning Good For The Car Engine Or Not ? by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 31, 2009
The automobile engine has come a long way in recent times.

The run-in period, as well as warm-up times have changed too.
Sitting in a car with the engine idling is no longer necessary - even if the car in question is in Siberia. Fuel injected engines will supply the right amount of fuel for all weather conditions and different altitudes.

Obviously, if you're running an older car, like a Peugeot 504, or a Datsun 120Y with a carb-fed engine, then of course, it may need to fast-idle with the choke pulled out, as driving off immediately will cause the engine to "stutter" as it may run lean.

Worth noting the majority of engine wear occurs upon start-up, and during cold idling, so it's essential to reduce the period the engine's operated in it's "cold cycle."

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Car Can I Get For 2m To 2.3m / Neat Toyota Sienna 05 / Golf3 1.6 And Nissan Primera Saloon 1.6, Which One Is Better And Economical

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.