Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,211 members, 7,780,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:23 PM

What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde (10642 Views)

The Killing Of Fulanis In Numan, Adamawa Would Not Go Unpunished - Sultan / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State / Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria, The Fulanis (fulbe) Or The Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Fulaman198(m): 8:07pm On Dec 05, 2015
In Nigeria? I know that the population in Cameroon is quite high, but I never knew the number. Dediraabe Ful6e do you know?
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by tobtap: 8:15pm On Dec 05, 2015
10%... mostly the nomadic fulanis(bororos)
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by scholes0(m): 8:22pm On Dec 05, 2015
Shouldn't you be in a better position to estimate, since you are Nigerian ?
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Fulaman198(m): 8:23pm On Dec 05, 2015
tobtap:
10%... mostly the nomadic fulanis(bororos)

Sorry that's not true, I come from a city/village in which almost every Fulani person only speaks Fulfulde.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Fulaman198(m): 8:25pm On Dec 05, 2015
scholes0:
Shouldn't you be in a better position to estimate, since you are Nigerian ?

Me being a Nigerian has nothing to do with that, as there are about 23 Fulani subgroups in Nigeria alone. I can not account for all of them. That's why I'm hoping that other Fulani will be able to answer the question.

The largest Fulani population are the ones that speak Adamawaare or Fombina dialect.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by tobtap: 8:33pm On Dec 05, 2015
Fulaman198:

Sorry that's not true, I come from a city/village in which almost every Fulani person only speaks Fulfulde.
maybe true...but a large percentage of fulanis in nigeria cant speak passable fulfude....the nomadic fulani that still speak undiluted fulfude can be found in the middle belt states like kwara,kogi and oke-ogun region of oyo state...note (hausa language is not the lingua franca in these states).. most fulanis in the north-west cant speak fulfude....most speak and understand hausa... my observation

1 Like

Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by tpiar: 8:51pm On Dec 05, 2015
I don't know.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Fulaman198(m): 8:54pm On Dec 05, 2015
tobtap:

maybe true...but a large percentage of fulanis in nigeria cant speak passable fulfude....the nomadic fulani that still speak undiluted fulfude can be found in the middle belt states like kwara,kogi and oke-ogun region of oyo state...note (hausa language is not the lingua franca in these states).. most fulanis in the north-west cant speak fulfude....most speak and understand hausa... my observation

I concur with most of your statements except your first sentence should read a large percentage of Fulanis situated in the geographical Northwest region of Nigeria can't speak passable Fulfulde (that would be correct), their dialect should be or should have been a dialect similar to the Fulfulde spoken in Northern Benin Republic, South Western Niger and Maasinakoore of Mali and Burkina Faso.

The Mbororo'en or Ful6e ladde, of Nigeria do indeed speak pure Fulfulde like you said. Undiluted except for a few things, the Hausa word "sai/sey" which means until is in our dialect (so it's not completely undiluted, though it is more pure than what most Nigerian Fulanis speak).

Great input, I appreciate it.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by tobtap: 10:32pm On Dec 05, 2015
Fulaman198:

I concur with most of your statements except your first sentence should read a large percentage of Fulanis situated in the geographical Northwest region of Nigeria can't speak passable Fulfulde (that would be correct), their dialect should be or should have been a dialect similar to the Fulfulde spoken in Northern Benin Republic, South Western Niger and Maasinakoore of Mali and Burkina Faso.

The Mbororo'en or Ful6e ladde, of Nigeria do indeed speak pure Fulfulde like you said. Undiluted except for a few things, the Hausa word "sai/sey" which means until is in our dialect (so it's not completely undiluted, though it is more pure than what most Nigerian Fulanis speak).

Great input, I appreciate it.
there is a small town in moro LGA in kwara state call bani...where the majority of the inhabitants are fulanis and the king is yoruba..( quite unique ) the lingua franca of the town is fulfude...no one understand yoruba and hausa there.(hausas are not native to kwara) only fulanis ..i was quite surprised...

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Fulaman198(m): 11:11pm On Dec 05, 2015
tobtap:

there is a small town in moro LGA in kwara state call bani...where the majority of the inhabitants are fulanis and the king is yoruba..( quite unique ) the lingua franca of the town is fulfude...no one understand yoruba and hausa there.(hausas are not native to kwara) only fulanis ..i was quite surprised...

Now that is something that I didn't even know. I will have to visit there some day. That's amazing information, thank you my brother.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by macof(m): 12:47am On Dec 06, 2015
tobtap:

How were you able to confirm that the King is yoruba? Does he carry a yoruba name or the "Oba" title
I've been told by kwara natives that Yoruba is understood all over the state.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by tobtap: 12:54am On Dec 06, 2015
macof:

How were you able to confirm that the King is yoruba? Does he carry a yoruba name or the "Oba" title
I've been told by kwara natives that Yoruba is understood all over the state.
well i know the king is yoruba...because the fulani dude told me...kwara state has 16 LGAs and 12 is fully yoruba... 2 for (barubas & kaiama) nd 2 for nupe people...YORUBA is the lingua franca of kwara state...because it is most spoken and taught local language in the states.. (barubas and nupes) and to an extent fulanis are minorities in kwara state.. cheers
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by macof(m): 1:04am On Dec 06, 2015
tobtap:

well i know the king is yoruba...because the fulani dude told me...kwara state has 16 LGAs and 12 is fully yoruba... 2 for (barubas & kaiama) nd 2 for nupe people...YORUBA is the lingua franca of kwara state...because it is most spoken and taught local language in the states.. (barubas and nupes) and to an extent fulanis are minorities in kwara state.. cheers
ok, I just wanted some sort of confirmation.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by scholes0(m): 5:11am On Dec 06, 2015
The Fulanis of Kwara and Oke-Ogun speak Yoruba, just like those in the NW speak Hausa
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 06, 2015
scholes0:
The Fulanis of Kwara and Oke-Ogun speak Yoruba, just like those in the NW speak Hausa

That wasn't the question.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by scholes0(m): 6:34am On Dec 06, 2015
MorrowCaligari:

That wasn't the question.

I Know what the question is.
Just rendering my own contribution based on previous submissions,,, Mr MarrowCaligari

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1VFi3p55BM
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 6:37am On Dec 06, 2015
scholes0:

I Know what the question is.
Just rendering my own contribution based on previous submissions,,, Mr MarrowCaligari

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1VFi3p55BM

Don't derail the thread.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by scholes0(m): 6:43am On Dec 06, 2015
MorrowCaligari:

Don't derail the thread.

How am I derailing the thread?
undecided ... And you arent even the OP.... so chill.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 6:45am On Dec 06, 2015
Well my observation is this, the Fulbe in the north west mostly speak hausa with a very meager minority that speak both. But the Fulbe in the north east mostly speak both hausa and Fulfulde and a reasonable percentage that speak just Fulfulde. To estimate the percentage total population of Fulbe who speak only Fulfulde and not Hausa or both, I'll guess maybe 20 percent, 25 at most.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 06, 2015
scholes0:

How am I derailing the thread?
undecided ... And you arent even the OP.... so chill.

Lol! Okay, but it is interesting how the Fulbe of Kwara speak Yoruba fluently, it was almost like a magic trick, but I think there were some yoruba's amongst them. Possibly assimilated into the Fulbe culture.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by scholes0(m): 6:52am On Dec 06, 2015
MorrowCaligari:

Lol! Okay, but it is interesting how the Fulbe of Kwara speak Yoruba fluently, it was almost like a magic trick, but I think there were some yoruba's amongst them. Possibly assimilated into the Fulbe culture.

The Fulanis of Interior Gombe, Taraba, Plateau, Bauchi, Southern Kaduna, Yobe, and Adamawa in my experience speak the most Fulfulde. (50% Bilinguals)
Surprisingly, about 15% of those in Sokoto and parts of Kebbi States in the NW still speak it.
Kano-Katsina-Northern Kaduna-Jigawa is almost exclusively Hausa.

In the Middle Belt, states of Kwara and Niger it is a mixed bag.
Are you from the North?
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 06, 2015
scholes0:

The Fulanis of Interior Gombe, Taraba, Plateau, Bauchi, Southern Kaduna, Yobe, and Adamawa in my experience speak the most Fulfulde. (50% Bilinguals)
I think in Bauchi especially and gombe, most of them are bilingual, but taraba and adamawa, thats where there a lot who only speak fulfulde. Though i have fulbe friends and former classmates from Adamawa and Taraba, but they all speak hausa and fulfulde, i thought its because they grew in the north west but surprisingly most of their family members also speak hausa. its really hard to come by a pullo who doesnt speak hausa but i'll still give them a generous 20-25%.

Surprisingly, about 15% of those in Sokoto and parts of Kebbi States in the NW still speak it.
Kano-Katsina-Northern Kaduna-Jigawa is almost exclusively Hausa.

In the Middle Belt, states of Kwara and Niger it is a mixed bag.
Are you from the North?
why yes, yes i am.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by scholes0(m): 7:42am On Dec 06, 2015
MorrowCaligari:

I think in Bauchi especially and gombe, most of them are bilingual, but taraba and adamawa, thats where there a lot who only speak fulfulde. Though i have fulbe friends and former classmates from Adamawa and Taraba, but they all speak hausa and fulfulde, i thought its because they grew in the north west but surprisingly most of their family members also speak hausa. its really hard to come by a pullo who doesnt speak hausa but i'll still give them a generous 20-25%.

why yes, yes i am.

It is hard to see any group infact in the NW or NE, who does not have a knowledge of Hausa..... Not just Fulanis.
you are right about the Adamawa-Taraba and the Bauchi-Gombe distinction, within the North East.
Yobe is also in the category of Bauchi-Gombe.

In the North West, like I mentioned earlier, Kebbi-Sokoto have the most Fulfulde speakers.
In the North Central, Benue has the most Fulani speakers. Not surprising since it is just West of Taraba and South of Bauchi-Plateau.
Overall, I would say 20-25% of Nigerian Fulanis speak Fulfulde. Not surprising, since most Fulanis of Nigeria are urban North-Westerners.

I was thinking if you were from the North, from the way you discussed the issue in depth.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 7:48am On Dec 06, 2015
scholes0:

It is hard to see any group infact in the NW or NE, who does not have a knowledge of Hausa..... Not just Fulanis.
you are right about the Adamawa-Taraba and the Bauchi-Gombe distinction, within the North East.
Yobe is also in the category of Bauchi-Gombe.

In the North West, like I mentioned earlier, Kebbi-Sokoto have the most Fulfulde speakers.
In the North Central, Benue has the most Fulani speakers. Not surprising since it is just West of Taraba and South of Bauchi-Plateau.
Overall, I would say 20-25% of Nigerian Fulanis speak Fulfulde. Not surprising, since most Fulanis of Nigeria are urban North-Westerners.

I was thinking if you were from the North, from the way you discussed the issue in depth.

Yeah, in yobe, they speak both hausa and kanuri.

You were right.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:28am On Dec 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

[size=16pt]Me being a Nigerian [/size] has nothing to do with that, as there are about 23 Fulani subgroups in Nigeria alone. I can not account for all of them. That's why I'm hoping that other Fulani will be able to answer the question.

The largest Fulani population are the ones that speak Adamawaare or Fombina dialect.

I notice how often you throw it out that you are a Nigerian. Im beginning to wonder if you are not one of these neighbouring country hausa or fulani speaker who blend in and claim Nigerian citizenship.

If you are indeed Nigerian of what use is it to remind us?

Nigga, are you truly a Nigerian
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:44am On Dec 06, 2015
tobtap:

The official cultural language in Kwara is Yoruba. Nobody will change it, however much propaganda you guys use. No one, i repeat!

In fact, Sulu Gambari is the last vestige of fulani heritage in Ilorin. I want to remind you that in Alaba and Festac use of Ibo language is common, yet it has not displaced the Yoruba culture in Amuwo Odofin LG.

A few fulani conducting business in their language does not translate to fulani becoming lingua franca in any part of Kwara. All the LGs of Kwara have Yoruba names, except maybe four or five belonging to other minorities, none of which is fulani or hausa.

So mr, can you help us understand how fulani has become lingua franca for Moro, a Yoruba town with Oba on throne. So how do you greet the Oba when you dobale....or when you coronate an Oba in Moro do you speak fulani to officiate the investiture and Yoruba rituals for the crown head?

I really pity sons and daughters of Kwara who see these kind of bs writing and dontslap the saliva out of your tongue for deceiving the world about their heritage.

1D1ot!

If hundreds of years of sojourn in Americas, thousands of miles away and far removed and isolated, could not purge Yoruba culture and language out of our sons and daughters shipped out there....how much more a mere 100miles or so from Yoruba land will be made toforgo its ancestry andlanguage.

0l0d0

...and to let you know, fulani is not native to anywhere in Nigeria, much more in Kwara.

You guys forget the fact thatvyou are sitting on Hausa native land.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 06, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

I notice how often you throw it out that you are a Nigerian. Im beginning to wonder if you are not one of these neighbouring country hausa or fulani speaker who blend in and claim Nigerian citizenship.

If you are indeed Nigerian of what use is it to remind us?

Nigga, are you truly a Nigerian

He didnt bring up his Nigerian citizenship, rather the other person did.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by tobtap: 2:54pm On Dec 06, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

The official cultural language in Kwara is Yoruba. Nobody will change it, however much propaganda you guys use. No one, i repeat!

In fact, Sulu Gambari is the last vestige of fulani heritage in Ilorin. I want to remind you that in Alaba and Festac use of Ibo language is common, yet it has not displaced the Yoruba culture in Amuwo Odofin LG.

A few fulani conducting business in their language does not translate to fulani becoming lingua franca in any part of Kwara. All the LGs of Kwara have Yoruba names, except maybe four or five belonging to other minorities, none of which is fulani or hausa.

So mr, can you help us understand how fulani has become lingua franca for Moro, a Yoruba town with Oba on throne. So how do you greet the Oba when you dobale....or when you coronate an Oba in Moro do you speak fulani to officiate the investiture and Yoruba rituals for the crown head?

I really pity sons and daughters of Kwara who see these kind of bs writing and dontslap the saliva out of your tongue for deceiving the world about their heritage.

1D1ot!

If hundreds of years of sojourn in Americas, thousands of miles away and far removed and isolated, could not purge Yoruba culture and language out of our sons and daughters shipped out there....how much more a mere 100miles or so from Yoruba land will be made toforgo its ancestry andlanguage.

0l0d0

...and to let you know, fulani is not native to anywhere in Nigeria, much more in Kwara.

dude y d insults...am not even fulani...i neva said fulani or hausa languages are lingua franca in kwara state...YORUBA is spoken generally even by the minorities(nupe,bariba and fulani).. i guess u must have problem understanding basic english...i dare u to visit the bani town in moro LGA and see for ur sef.... so i will repeat what i have said earlier... 70% of the inhabitants of the town are bororos(fulanis) and they dont understand yoruba or speak yoruba.....but thier king is yoruba (OBA) ...cheers
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 06, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

1D1ot!

0l0d0

You my friend are an assorted foool! Not all fulanis are nomadic, slowpoke! Throughout history, fulanis have settled at various places, just like they settled in Hausa land before the Fulani war, just like they settled and we're native to states like Adamawa, Gombe and other places in the northeast which is not in anyway hausa land btw! Most ethnic groups settled in where they currently reside.

This wan.ker doesn't know anything but goes around from thread to thread spewing his ignorance.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 06, 2015
tobtap:

dude y d insults...am not even fulani...i neva said fulani or hausa languages are lingua franca in kwara state...YORUBA is spoken generally even by the minorities(nupe,bariba and fulani).. i guess u must have problem understanding basic english...i dare u to visit the bani town in moro LGA and see for ur sef.... so i will repeat what i have said earlier... 70% of the inhabitants of the town are bororos(fulanis) and they dont understand yoruba or speak yoruba.....but thier king is yoruba (OBA) ...cheers

Exactly! The idiiot doesn't understand English is what I'm saying.
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by OPCNAIRALAND: 3:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
tobtap:

Then dont speak to what you dont know if you are not from there or understand the cultural perspectives of the information you are sharing with us.

First, did you conduct a headcount or how did you arrive at this ya 70%, mr english esquire? How many days nd nights did you live amongst people of bani to arrive at this conclusion that fulani is tje majority of the town in count and tongue?

Second, do you understand how Yorubas set up urban centers? Apparently you dont! If Moro is the LGA, then administratively it will equate to a political district or domain. Bani is then a sub of Moro. Moro could very well have an Oba...but Bani will have a Baale, not an Oba. Still, it does not give legitimacy to your spurious claim of a 70% majority in fulani.

You see why I would wonder that Bani would have Oba nd speak fulani as major lnguage?

grin. Dude, im in touch and intimate wih english lnguage..,,,,you mr, need to undersynd thoroughly the functions of the society you are educating people about.

Tu comprehend? grin grin
Re: What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde by OPCNAIRALAND: 3:58pm On Dec 06, 2015
MorrowCaligari:

You my friend are an assorted foool! Not all fulanis are nomadic, slowpoke! Throughout history, fulanis have settled at various places, just like they settled in Hausa land before the Fulani war, just like they settled and we're native to states like Adamawa, Gombe and other places in the northeast which is not in anyway hausa land btw! Most ethnic groups settled in where they currently reside.

This wan.ker doesn't know anything but goes around from thread to thread spewing his ignorance.

So how then does Kwara become fulani native land? Is Kwara Adamawa or Gombe?

You see why im upset with my brothers and sistets who keep quiet nd watch you cow herders steal their legcy?

Please explain wjat part of Kwara, as claimed in that refetenced post, fulani is native to. If you cant do that please back down and bow down. Im not going to give you an inch to come here with illogical bs and claim Kwara as your native land or domain. grin

All fulani, pay attention! This is OPC, you need to get some gaddem semse and speak logically when regerencing any part of Yorubalnd. Say what you want bout your enclave up thete in Hausaland. Yorubaland is not your playground. Ya heard?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Way Many(not All) Nigerians Behave At Parties / Demographics Of Kogi State / Is The Igbo Language Dying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.