Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,568 members, 7,801,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

How Biblical Is Church Wedding? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Biblical Is Church Wedding? (33995 Views)

Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" / How Biblical Is Seed Sowing? / Pregnant Bride Wears Yellow In Anglican Church Wedding (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by nannymcphee(f): 1:10pm On Dec 06, 2015
TruthHurts1:

Apart from opening yourself to criticism, you've shown yourself up to be very stupid too. There are so many references to marriage in the Bible:

Mark 10 VS 8 to 9; 1 Corinthians 7:1 - 7:40 - Ephesians 5:22 -
5:33 - Ephesians 5:25 - 5:33

Just to mention a few.

Secondly, you're confusing "wedding" with "marriage". Wedding is a ceremony, marriage is an institution.
The Bible laid down the template of a Christian marriage as the voluntary union of a man and woman for the rest of their lives. What manner of ceremony they choose in solemnising their union does not matter as long as the SUBSTANCE of the union complies with Biblical standards.
I sense you are not a Christian and that may account for your ignorance. And if indeed you call yourself a Christian, it is possible you may be living a lie. Read the Bible well before disparaging it, or God's wrath will abide on you.

I'm trying to fathom why you are insulting the OP!!
the verses you cited doesn't saying anything about "church wedding" which the OP is talking about!!

In the bible I can't recall any wedding taking place in the synagogue, marriages where done between both families & the bible is replete with several examples.

Even in the New Testament you don't find any wedding taking place in a "church" or assembly of believers

marriage in the bible was between families, one important factor was the fathers consent in giving out his daughter.

so can you cite a bible verse that

1.Shows a priest/pastor joining a couple
2.Shows a wedding taking place in a synagogue or assembly of believers
3.Gives guidelines on how to conduct a Christian wedding

Thanks

PS:anyone else can pls answer my question if they can

3 Likes

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Toks2008(m): 1:14pm On Dec 06, 2015
donholy28:
Its no where in d Bible... Bible only supports traditional marriage of paying bride price

You are even wrong.Bride price is only a penalty for rape.

The Bible does not give any instruction regarding the type of wedding to do.
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Etizz: 1:18pm On Dec 06, 2015
femidejulius:
Yesterday on this forum I read how a church bought sorrow to the life of a to-be couple by turning down their wedding even after people have been seated inside the church. A lot of churches nowadays will not give their nod to marriages because the wife to-be is already pregnant. Whilst this thread is in no way justifying pre marital sex, it does intend to open the mind of people to the truth about churches and their responsibilities as regards marriage and to save people from shame which might eventually lead them away from the church :

1. Church wedding is unchristian and unbiblical: Go through the bible and see for yourself. The weddings take place according to traditional belief. From this, traditional wedding is the acceptable wedding according to the bible.

2. These churches won't test for your virginity but will test for pregnancy. The result is that dos who have constant sexual intercourse but are smart enough not to get pregnant and those who have been severally pregnant but have done abortion are free to get married in the church. This is injustice by the church.

3. Lord don't despise sinners : Jesus throughout his life on earth is always seen amongst sinners. Remember the parable of the lost coin and the parable of the lost sheep. He said he came because of them. He will never turn them back. Okay, but the church will refuse to join the to-be couple together because they have sinned (she has indulge in pre marital sex). When you turn them down from the church, where do you expect them to go? A lot has since been discouraged from the church because of this.

4. Why do marriages still crash even after the wedding took place in the church? Why do even pastors wedding crash? Getting the "pastor's blessings" do not in any way guarantee your success in marriage. You don't necessarily need it.

5. I know some pastor and churches have turn the church wedding to money making venture. If you hear what they collect to make the church wedding happen in their church, una go fear fear. They ask for this and that before the wedding,but then, how much do they pay for salvation?
Conclusion: A traditional marriage is what actually makes you husband and wife. While there's nothing really wrong about with church marriage, it is actually avoidable. You aren't committing any sin by doing only traditional wedding.

NB: While these are my person opinions, I am open to criticism.

Pls what chapter n verse in the bible does it started dat marriage should b Done based on tradition a lone..?

I just need to know...

Thanks.!
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Toks2008(m): 1:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
femidejulius:
Yesterday on this forum I read how a church bought sorrow to the life of a to-be couple by turning down their wedding even after people have been seated inside the church. A lot of churches nowadays will not give their nod to marriages because the wife to-be is already pregnant. Whilst this thread is in no way justifying pre marital sex, it does intend to open the mind of people to the truth about churches and their responsibilities as regards marriage and to save people from shame which might eventually lead them away from the church :

1. Church wedding is unchristian and unbiblical: Go through the bible and see for yourself. The weddings take place according to traditional belief. From this, traditional wedding is the acceptable wedding according to the bible.

2. These churches won't test for your virginity but will test for pregnancy. The result is that dos who have constant sexual intercourse but are smart enough not to get pregnant and those who have been severally pregnant but have done abortion are free to get married in the church. This is injustice by the church.

3. Lord don't despise sinners : Jesus throughout his life on earth is always seen amongst sinners. Remember the parable of the lost coin and the parable of the lost sheep. He said he came because of them. He will never turn them back. Okay, but the church will refuse to join the to-be couple together because they have sinned (she has indulge in pre marital sex). When you turn them down from the church, where do you expect them to go? A lot has since been discouraged from the church because of this.

4. Why do marriages still crash even after the wedding took place in the church? Why do even pastors wedding crash? Getting the "pastor's blessings" do not in any way guarantee your success in marriage. You don't necessarily need it.

5. I know some pastor and churches have turn the church wedding to money making venture. If you hear what they collect to make the church wedding happen in their church, una go fear fear. They ask for this and that before the wedding,but then, how much do they pay for salvation?
Conclusion: A traditional marriage is what actually makes you husband and wife. While there's nothing really wrong about with church marriage, it is actually avoidable. You aren't committing any sin by doing only traditional wedding.

https://www.nairaland.com/2658580/only-type-wedding-ceremony-acceptable
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Toks2008(m): 1:33pm On Dec 06, 2015
Etizz:

Pls what chapter n verse in the bible does it started dat marriage should b Done based on tradition a lone..?

I just need to know...

Thanks.!

See a detailed analysis of the matter here

https://www.nairaland.com/2658580/only-type-wedding-ceremony-acceptable
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by olayinkaa05(m): 1:33pm On Dec 06, 2015
If you want Bible result, do it Bible way
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Yksoul(m): 1:37pm On Dec 06, 2015
CHURCH WEDDING IS IMPORTANT BUT NOT COMPULSORY.THE IMPORTANT AND COMPULSORY CRITERIA:PASTORS' AND BOTH SIDES PARENTS' BLESSINGS

1 Like

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Kirigidi(m): 1:43pm On Dec 06, 2015
Taich:
Op your right but I doubt if upto 5% of our ladies will like your idea. I was chatting with a lady who told me that is fornication if she sleeps with her husband after Traditional wedding before church wedding. That one got me thinking I asked her to show me where that is in the Bible, where actually church wedding is the bible. All the wedding that happened in the bible where all traditional including the famous one that our dear lord turn water to wine. I hope we will be wiser after this post.
D problm wit many African ladies is immitatn. They follw any new trend witout first searchin out its origin. D Europeans wu brougt Christianity to us mingled it wit dia native customs nd traditns which many pipo hav embraced witout even reference to d Bible. D so-calld church weddin today is mainly a European traditnal marriage pattern copied frm d whites. D same way d use of coffin for burial is neither a Biblical practice nor African traditn, but was introducd by d whites.

4 Likes

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by xhamel89: 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2015
femidejulius:

What kind of bible do you read? Nowadays people are lazy to read their bibles. Some even read it as novel, giving it their own interpretations. How can you say wedding is unbiblical and unchristian? I am very sure you did not read any bible rather you just write based on what you feel. Feeling can deceive but God's word standeth sure. The first wedding was conducted by God himself between Adam and Eve. It does follow that God's people should wed before God representatives. When the bible says who soever God has join together let no man put asunder" was he saying this for saying sake. It's totally wrong and a curse to mislead people based on spiritual matters. May God forgive you. (Amen).

2 Likes

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by donholy28(m): 1:56pm On Dec 06, 2015
Toks2008:

You are even wrong.Bride price is only a penalty for rape.

The Bible does not give any instruction regarding the type of wedding to do.
read your Bible well...so Isaac raped Rebeka eh? and so did Jacob?
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by adjoviomole(m): 2:02pm On Dec 06, 2015
zomoears:

So if she gets pregnant but aborts, it is not fornication?

What about those who use condom and don't get pregnant?

Double standard hypocrites...our Lord had something to say about pretenders ... cast the first stone if you are without sin!

All dis ppl u mentioned can ask for forgiveness and God will forgive. But b4 d church will do it for dem dey must av lied and dats deceit. N according to d bible dey will still make dat restitution to d church. And wotsoever anyone does,nothing is hiden frm God. Am nt in support of all u mentioned ok.
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by PastorAIO: 2:03pm On Dec 06, 2015
See double wahala for worshippers of bible. Bible based people like us. People who will not eat Amala because it is not in the bible.

Most of the church wedding ceremonies we practice today are pagan in origin. The exchanging of rings is an ancient egyptian ritual. In America jumping over broomsticks has it's origins in Africa. Most of all these rituals have pagan origins. Since people like to complain about christmas's pagan origin, they should stop the wedding ceremonies too.

What about medicine? Why stop with wedding? There is no paracetamol in the bible. The concept of medicine is connected with witchcraft in the bible. The Greek word Pharmakoi, from which we derive our pharmacology today, means witchcraft and the practice of witchcraft and dispensing of medicinal herbs were one and the same practice.

A true bible based slowpoke must refrain from using drugs for any ailment. As well as wedding rituals etc ....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by aperture11: 2:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
nnahernest:
my brother,don't encourage fornication,before I say anything read Hebrew 13:4 the bible said,marriage must be holy,with the marital bed undefiled,whoremongers and adulteries God will judge,
secondly saying they only look after those who are pregnant so as to punish them and leave those who commit premarital sex you are wrong,in my church,if you have had sex with your wife to be no wedding,that is the correct standard of Christ,the bible said,if the foundation is faulty what those the righteous do,and the bible still said,the righteous has nothing to do,so therefore you can't start your marriage on a faulty foundation of fornication
3rdly,marriage in the scripture happened then before the establishment of church,and no church will tell you not to do traditional marriage, but what they avoid is pouring libation to the ancestors,which happens in almost every traditional marriage,and by the time you do that,you are connect the couples to the spirit of there forefathers,that is why most marriages experience what they don't know about,which is against the scripture in exodus 20:1_10,for more clarification add me on whatsapp, 07039476669
You made some salient points as regards pre-marital sex which I agree with but you said the church wasn't established as at the time but I tend to disagree a bit here.

If marriage in the church is important, marriages at that time would have held in the temple. No record in the bible old or new testament of a marriage in the temple. It is a borrowed custom but a good one. It isnt compulsory. Traditional wedding with the blessing of a Cleric suffices too. All that matters is the blessing of God not the church ceremony.

1 Like

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Stoical: 2:13pm On Dec 06, 2015
xhamel89:

What kind of bible do you read? Nowadays people are lazy to read their bibles. Some even read it as novel, giving it their own interpretations. How can you say wedding is unbiblical and unchristian? I am very sure you did not read any bible rather you just write based on what you feel. Feeling can deceive but God's word standeth sure. The first wedding was conducted by God himself between Adam and Eve. It does follow that God's people should wed before God representatives. When the bible says who soever God has join together let no man put asunder" was he saying this for saying sake. It's totally wrong and a curse to mislead people based on spiritual matters. May God forgive you. (Amen).

Response like most of the ones I read here makes me just to read along and get myself amused these days in naira land...however, I must join this line of discussion (hoping u won't proclaim curse on me, as u may think I am trying to mislead others on spiritual matters)...
1- Is wedding (which means marriage) ever mentioned to be done in the church or synagogue? By Moses, Samuel, Jesus or even the apostles?
2- can u explain comprehensively how God carried out the first wedding? 2b) then, are you God(don't quote the "we are children of God and as such we r god" me).
3- the joining is a spiritual thing, which even you may not have an insight on. So is the saying "he who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtaineth favour from the Lord" and "a man shall leave his father and mother and join with his wife and they shall become one" are spiritual conceptions that requires spiritual insight

I believe that church "marriage'' is a celebration which should be an individual choice and not a forced rule in a church...my believe.

But then again, for those that argue against church wedding as not being biblical, and as such shouldnt be compulsory, what do you think about CELEBRATING THE BIRTH OF CHRIST...#CHRISTMAS? would you also jettison the celebration because it ain't biblical...or is it?
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Oluboonmi(f): 2:13pm On Dec 06, 2015
To most ladies even our mothers, church wedding must be done, but personally, I don't see the big issue in it, really(I don't want an elaborate wedding, maybe that's why I feel it's not such a big deal). I acknowledge the fact that a spiritual head should bless your union, and that's just about it. So, why not just choose a date and go with your parents or witnesses to your pastor in his office for blessings? I also get it that couple to be want their friends and families to be there while they are being blessed, but its not mandatory. There's the trad wedding for the family. (My own thoughts tho)
I've realized there's more to 'church wedding' than just pastor's or church blessings. Sometimes, its for show off, to some its a do or die(even if they can't afford it), while to some, its a doctrine that must be held intact at all cost, to some also, they just follow the order, do it as its been done.

3 Likes

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by nike4love: 2:14pm On Dec 06, 2015
nnahernest:
my brother,don't encourage fornication,before I say anything read Hebrew 13:4 the bible said,marriage must be holy,with the marital bed undefiled,whoremongers and adulteries God will judge,
secondly saying they only look after those who are pregnant so as to punish them and leave those who commit premarital sex you are wrong,in my church,if you have had sex with your wife to be no wedding,that is the correct standard of Christ,the bible said,if the foundation is faulty what those the righteous do,and the bible still said,the righteous has nothing to do,so therefore you can't start your marriage on a faulty foundation of fornication
3rdly,marriage in the scripture happened then before the establishment of church,and no church will tell you not to do traditional marriage, but what they avoid is pouring libation to the ancestors,which happens in almost every traditional marriage,and by the time you do that,you are connect the couples to the spirit of there forefathers,that is why most marriages experience what they don't know about,which is against the scripture in exodus 20:1_10,for more clarification add me on whatsapp, 07039476669
Religion is the problem of a black man.
What a burden on a man to perform 2weddings before he pleases his pastor.
Show us where JESUS talked abt church wedding?
All these things u re talking abt re placed by man.I don't see any reason for that it should be a do or die affair.
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Ishilove: 2:17pm On Dec 06, 2015
PastorAIO:
See double wahala for worshippers of bible. Bible based people like us. People who will not eat Amala because it is not in the bible.

Most of the church wedding ceremonies we practice today are pagan in origin. The exchanging of rings is an ancient egyptian ritual. In America jumping over broomsticks has it's origins in Africa. Most of all these rituals have pagan origins. Since people like to complain about christmas's pagan origin, they should stop the wedding ceremonies too.

What about medicine? Why stop with wedding? There is no paracetamol in the bible. The concept of medicine is connected with witchcraft in the bible. The Greek word Pharmakoi, from which we derive our pharmacology today, means witchcraft and the practice of witchcraft and dispensing of medicinal herbs were one and the same practice.

A true bible based slowpoke must refrain from using drugs for any ailment. As well as wedding rituals etc ....
You're neither here nor there, pastor. For people who don't have energy for intellectual analysis, can be so kind as to state your views on the topic PLAINLY
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Boomark(m): 2:17pm On Dec 06, 2015
femidejulius:

You have said our mindS. I see no church wedding in the scripture, I only saw traditional weddings.

1 Like

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by emzila(m): 2:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A WHITE MAN WHO DID TRADITIONAL WEDDING AND WHITE WEDDING, WHAT WE CALL WHITE WEDDING IS THEIR OWN STYLE OF WEDDING OVER THERE. TRADITIONAL AND WHITE WEDDING IS A DUPLICATION OF EFFORT, THE PASTOR CAN AS WELL COME TO THE TRADITIONAL WEDDING VENUE TO OFFER BLESSINGS AFTER THE PARENTS.

4 Likes

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by nike4love: 2:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
chuna1985:

In Anglican church wedding, u pay about 10k for marriage certificate.

U give all the presiding priests money average of 10k.

U give all d priests food n drinks as well, that's all I can remember.

@ Least about 30k don go.

Thieves
I taya my brother,I think buhari should probe that.hahahahaha churches day make life harder upon say naija is difficult.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Toks2008(m): 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2015
donholy28:
read your Bible well...so Isaac raped Rebeka eh? and so did Jacob?

You need serious education on this topic...please read this thread i created on bride price which made front page around August.

https://www.nairaland.com/2495212/7-facts-bride-price-shock
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by sparklebug: 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2015
I had a traditional wedding.. after all the traditional rites a pastor prayed for us and joined us officially.. we later went to court to get our legal papers... we've been married 8 years and counting.

4 Likes

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by aperture11: 2:41pm On Dec 06, 2015
xhamel89:

Before God's representatives but not necessarily in a church. That is European tradition that we imbibed. It isn't wrong but it is still tradition not scriptural. What if God's representative attends the traditional wedding like Jesus did and bless them there? Does it make the marriage of less effect before God?

Relax no need to chastise the OP, he made some good points.
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 06, 2015
benji93:
Let us not dispute unnecessarily abouth these things, we must do just as the bible teaches us, Jesus never spoke of a particular location where a wedding must be conducted, it is like we are overly concerned about the physicality of our actions, Jesus specifically says in the book of mark ch 10 vs 8:For this cause a man shall leave his mother and father and be clung to his wife, and they shall be joined together in one flesh, whatever God has joined together let no man put assunder. So let us discen this, a man leaves his mother and father and clings to his wife, there must be concent here, without which a man cannot cling to his wife, now in those days morality was at its peak, people rarely get married for wealth acquisition or material benefits, either by the parents or by any of the couples, so then when the parents approve a marriage God approves to, once they willingly concent, that is it, but today the same cannot be said, some parents marry their children out because of the material benefits they hope to derive from it, likewise some people also get married because of the material benefits they hope to derive from it, so the question now is does God approve of it. No ofcourse, God cannot be mocked, he does not approve of anything sham. It is important to be careful when we talk about traditional wedding, the isrealite state then was established by the doctrines instituted by God himself, so their traditional wedding were always according to the dictates of God, though i cant peak for those that deliberately deviate from the the pathe God layed down. So their traditional wedding was the dictate of God. The same cannot be said about our traditional weddings, i can say much about Muslims, asccording to general christian doctrines, our traditional stuffs are fetish. So if we are not sure of the Godliness of the complex marriage, why not do just the simplest, and the needful, obtain the concent of your parents when when you are sure you sincerely want to live with your to be wife or husband for the rest of your life, organize a small party that brings the two families together, thus cementing and formalizing the relationship and afterwards registering according to the laws of the land. The latter would not have been that important if the world was inorder. So the conclusion of the matter is the most important pre-requisite for a union is consent, i mean holy consent, without this God does not approve,this is the honour God gives your parents for accepting the responsibilty and doing the imperative. We will all have that honor, if we decide to get married. if you if you do a church wedding, its not sinful, its only an addition infact through that the church recognizes you as a couple, and it is a good thing to dicuss our woes and happiness with the people of the household of faith, as the bible directs. Whether overtly or covertly the holy consent is most important. God bless Nigeria. I rest my case.

Sorrry but the church has no business in doing this. This is the full functional right of both families. That is how pastors will start causing problems before even the marriage kicks off

1 Like

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by PastorAIO: 3:00pm On Dec 06, 2015
Ishilove:

You're neither here nor there, pastor. For people who don't have energy for intellectual analysis, can be so kind as to state your views on the topic PLAINLY

You're asking me to dumb down. I refuse.

I'll repeat what I said in fewer words. There are many daily practices of christians that do not have their origin in the bible. Most have blatantly pagan religious origins.
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by Ishilove: 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2015
PastorAIO:

You're asking me to dumb down. I refuse.

I'll repeat what I said in fewer words. There are many daily practices of christians that do not have their origin in the bible. Most have blatantly pagan religious origins.
I know, pastor, but many don't understand you. You're one of the few religious posters I respect and I think your input will be appreciated, that's why I'm asking you to put it in plain words grin

2 Likes

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by ladygudhead(f): 3:17pm On Dec 06, 2015
wedding in d church and wedding in d ur traditional way are two weddings. why get wedded twice.

undecided

1 Like

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by fran6co(m): 3:30pm On Dec 06, 2015
jamace:
That's why the marriage crashes more often like a pack of cards because it is established on wrong foundation and desire.
BT dude is it compulsory I must do d white wedding stuff... as for me I see it as a waste of fund.
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by ladygudhead(f): 3:37pm On Dec 06, 2015
emzila:
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A WHITE MAN WHO DID TRADITIONAL WEDDING AND WHITE WEDDING, WHAT WE CALL WHITE WEDDING IS THEIR OWN STYLE OF WEDDING OVER THERE. TRADITIONAL AND WHITE WEDDING IS A DUPLICATION OF EFFORT, THE PASTOR CAN AS WELL COME TO THE TRADITIONAL WEDDING VENUE TO OFFER BLESSINGS AFTER THE PARENTS.

GBAM!!!

1 Like

Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by bbjummy: 3:43pm On Dec 06, 2015
kristen12:
I think church wedding is as important as traditional wedding [/b]even though it's overrated.

[b]And there's nothing like church wedding in the bible.
undecided undecided undecided. I know traditional wedding to be d only important wedding truly recommended by the bible.
Re: How Biblical Is Church Wedding? by PastorAIO: 3:48pm On Dec 06, 2015
But the Pagan concept to crown it all is the notion of the Logos. Logos is totally a pagan concept, first articulated by pagans and later adopted by Jews before christianity and John's Gospel adopted it for Jesus.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Baby Kissed By Pope, Beats Brain Tumour / The Nonsense Of Spiritual Husbands, Wives And Children: Do They Exist? / Jeremiah Omoto-Fufeyin Punches A Demon Spiritually At Christ MercyLand, Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.