Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? (4027 Views)

9 Tips For Keeping The Spark Alive In Your Marriage / Sex Between Brothers And Sisters Should Be LEGAL, Says German Government’s Ethic / Tell Us About Your Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 6:46pm On May 31, 2009
Hi Nairalanders,

I am based in the USA and was doing some searches on marital records in my state. I am divorced and checked my own status on the internet and saw my marriage and my subsequent divorce. I did a check against my ex-husband's name and found the names of women he married. I knew him for many years before we married and before we dated. I thought I knew a whole lot about him. I found a record of him being married to a woman a year and 3 months before he married me and no corresponding divorce. I called him and of course he denied that it was him. However, the guy had the same first name, last name and middle initial. The man also lived in our same city. I told him I would go and buy a copy of the record and verify the date of birth and signature on the forms. If he did actually marry this lady, it means that our marriage was not legal and I could get all appearances of this marriage removed from official records. It would also mean that his marriage to his current wife is illegal. He was a serious liar and he could easily have married this woman in secret. Under the laws of my state, he could also be prosecuted for the crime of bigamy (marrying another while legally married). Ladies and gentlemen, how would you feel if you found your spouse had done this to you?
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 31, 2009
prittigrrr:

Hi Nairalanders,

I am based in the USA and was doing some searches on marital records in my state. I am divorced and checked my own status on the internet and saw my marriage and my subsequent divorce. I did a check against my ex-husband's name and found the names of women he married. I knew him for many years before we married and before we dated. I thought I knew a whole lot about him. I found a record of him being married to a woman a year and 3 months before he married me and no corresponding divorce. I called him and of course he denied that it was him. However, the guy had the same first name, last name and middle initial. The man also lived in our same city. I told him I would go and buy a copy of the record and verify the date of birth and signature on the forms. If he did actually marry this lady, it means that our marriage was not legal and I could get all appearances of this marriage removed from official records. It would also mean that his marriage to his current wife is illegal. He was a serious liar and he could easily have married this woman in secret. Under the laws of my state, he could also be prosecuted for the crime of bigamy (marrying another while legally married). Ladies and gentlemen, how would you feel if you found your spouse had done this to you?

And we are busy fighting for gay marriage to be legalised? grin Man is a total fool.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by JJYOU: 6:50pm On May 31, 2009
prittigrrr:

Hi Nairalanders,

I am based in the USA and was doing some searches on marital records in my state.  I am divorced and checked my own status on the internet and saw my marriage and my subsequent divorce.  I did a check against my ex-husband's name and found the names of women he married.  I knew him for many years before we married and before we dated.  I thought I knew a whole lot about him.  I found a record of him being married to a woman a year and 3 months before he married me and no corresponding divorce.  I called him and of course he denied that it was him.  However, the guy had the same first name, last name and middle initial.  The man also lived in our same city.  I told him I would go and buy a copy of the record and verify the date of birth and signature on the forms.   If he did actually marry this lady, it means that our marriage was not legal and I could get all appearances of this marriage removed from official records.  It would also mean that his marriage to his current wife is illegal.  He was a serious liar and he could easily have married this woman in secret. Under the laws of my state, he could also be prosecuted for the crime of bigamy (marrying another while legally married).  Ladies and gentlemen, how would you feel if you found your spouse had done this to you?  
he is your past. get on with your life stop fishing in that pond.  i know the temptation is there but move on. he is called an ex for a reason.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 6:54pm On May 31, 2009
JJYOU:

he is your past. get on with your life stop fishing in that pond. i know the temptation is there but move on. he is called an ex for a reason.

I have moved on with my life. I am just shocked by it. I was testing out the new system and used my information to check the reliability of the program. I was shocked. That is all. I wondered how others would react to the same thing.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by JustGood(m): 10:04am On Jun 01, 2009
These things I dont understand at all. How is it that you did not know that your ex husband was married to someone before you?

How is it that marriages are contracted without thorough knowledge? Did you not meet memebers of his family? Or are you one of those who marry a man and say it is between two of you so you dont care about his family? Surely his family must know he was married to someone else before you and someone would have mentioned it to you.

or am I being naive?
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 1:18pm On Jun 01, 2009
I knew my ex-husband for 8 years before I married him. He was introduced to me by my brother. I knew him and his family very well. We did not date the entire time I knew him. He had a crush on me but he was divorced and had 3 young boys. I was young and did not want to be a mother at that time. I met his sons' mother years before I married him. She even came to our wedding with her fiance. I was well aware of this marriage. I was not aware of this other wedding. At the time I married him, u could not get marriage records online. This only became available in my location over the past few weeks. Also, the information you get online is only a summary and not a full record. I will have to purchase an official copy of the license to view the groom's date of birth and signature to verify if it is him. I checked him out through his friends and family at that time. Had there been online records then, I would have had them 2. I made him show me his divorce decree that I knew about before marriage.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 1:25pm On Jun 01, 2009
Also, if he really married this woman, I do not think his family knows it because they would have mentioned it. And yes, he is sneaky enough to have maarried a lady in secret if he had something to gain from it. He had a public facade but a very different private reality that no one, not even his parents, were aware of.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by ifyalways(f): 2:08pm On Jun 01, 2009
what happens when u find out it was actually him?
Wud u tell his current wife and spoil whatever thing they have on or  undecided
If u sue him for bigamy,wud u stand to gain anything and what wud he lose?
I wud suggest u forget him,he might have even changed now undecided
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by Fhemmmy: 2:35pm On Jun 01, 2009
I will find out why it is not legal
Find what i could do make it legal, if i would like it to be legal.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 3:09pm On Jun 01, 2009
I won't sue him for bigamy. That is a criminal offense and up to prosecutors to decide if they want to pursue him. I waant the court records clear regarding my union with him. He incurred a lot of debt during our marriage that I suffered for. I am a lawyer myself and his misdeeds almost kept me from being licensed. I need to know as much as I caan regarding him because he will take any advantage if he believes it will benefit him. Any act by me WILL NOT ruin his current marriage. In the US, a void or invalid marriage is just that: invalid. Any marriage that occurs after the first legal marriage is void and there must be a dissolution of the legitimate marriage before you can have a new marriage. If he was already married when he married me, he is already messed up. He would have to divorce the lady he married before me and then remarry his current wife for their marriage to be valid. I would only petition the court for a decree stating my marriage was invalid and procured under false pretenses.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by jaybee3(m): 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2009
Way to go sista. Ride on and go clean that sucka record.
Always up for the truth
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by spoilt(f): 1:56am On Jun 02, 2009
I wont waste any more energy or resources on him. He's not even worth it. Let him go on a marrying spree. The cheap thrills and the financial gains he gets blinds him as to the danger of what he's doing. Eventually he'll meet a woman who will plant a knife in his heart. and i mean up to the hilt.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by JustGood(m): 9:25am On Jun 02, 2009
You knew him for 8 years before marrying him and you still did not know him well enough. You did not realise during all those years that he was sneaky (as you described him).

Anyway, keep chasing him. Devote another chapter of your life to chasing a man rather than moving on with your own life. If something uncomfortable results from your attempt to chase the past, you will still blame it on him, wont you?

na wa for this kind way of life sha.

Marriage don finish but una go dey find remnants to chase rather than move on and forget the fuy. God knows the psychological effect that will have on you afterwards.

Na so oyinbo girls sef dey chase men all over the place for vengeance and, in the process, they destroy their own lives too.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by JJYOU: 9:30am On Jun 02, 2009
JustGood:

You knew him for 8 years before marrying him and you still did not know him well enough. You did not realise during all those years that he was sneaky (as you described him).

Anyway, keep chasing him. Devote another chapter of your life to chasing a man rather than moving on with your own life. If something uncomfortable results from your attempt to chase the past, you will still blame it on him, wont you?

na wa for this kind way of life sha.

Marriage don finish but una go dey find remnants to chase rather than move on and forget the fuy. God knows the psychological effect that will have on you afterwards.

Na so oyinbo girls sef dey chase men all over the place for vengeance and, in the process, they destroy their own lives too.
the late derek prince said it is giving them more of your years to waste.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 12:30pm On Jun 02, 2009
The question I first posed was "How would you feel?" I was shocked. That is all. I was betrayed years ago. That wasnt new. I ONLY am investigating this fully to protect myself from his deeds. I spent so much money undoing his wrongs so that I could buy a home and so that I could work in my profession. When interviewed for my professional license, I was questioned personally about thousands of dollars worh of accounts HE MADE which I knew nothing of. Thankfully, the inteviewer believed me. Now, if I try to get licensed in another state, this may come up again, along with other things. A court order showing a fraud marriage explains a lot. I dont care about him or his life other than to attempt to clear my name. Most states check back 10-15 years on financial and moral issues for my profession.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 1:55pm On Jun 02, 2009
@JustGood-I don't blame him for things in my life. I freely chose to marry him and that is no one's error but mine. However, it made me who I am today and also blessed me with 3 stepsons and 3 grandchildren.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by cocoman4u(m): 12:23am On Jun 04, 2009
@ poster
I feel your pain but the best thing for you to do is to move on with your life. Forget about this liar and stop being curiouse about people you are no-longer with. Curiosity killed the cat!
The more you probe him, the more you will find, and the more intrigued you will become until you decide to ask him about some issues. Then you will start talking with him again and get hooked on his lies until you find yourself in bed with him again. The relationship will start all over again until you get he breaks your hearth once again.

Detach any connection you have with the liar or else he will lie himself into your heart one more time.

@ spoilt
Where in los angeles are you?
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by biola44: 2:53pm On Jun 05, 2009
r there marriage records in naija?
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by JustGood(m): 3:27pm On Jun 05, 2009
biola44:

r there marriage records in naija?

probably in shambles

but there are real families in naija and people in naija hardly ever marry without both parties' families knowing and meeting.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by ayomifull(f): 6:58pm On Jun 05, 2009
cocoman4u:

@ poster
I feel your pain but the best thing for you to do is to move on with your life. Forget about this liar and stop being curiouse about people you are no-longer with. Curiosity killed the cat!

According to her its not about the guy its about her having a straight record for future purpose.

@ poster if that makes u happy and satisfy u by all means do and clear yr name.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jun 05, 2009
@Poster, if you feel at any time this could come back and bite you in the ass, then clear your name. But i hope you're sure it would be as straight forward as you make it out to be, because if it's not, be sure you would have given him an opportunity to come after you. Men like that never change, i should know. I was unlucky to have been associated with his type, and even though i got fried before i freed myself from his web, it has'ne stopped him from going around trying to get freebies with my name. Once a leecher always a leecher!
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by cocoman4u(m): 2:11am On Jun 06, 2009
ayomifull:

According to her its not about the guy its about her having a straight record for future purpose.

@ poster if that makes u happy and satisfy u by all means do and clear yr name.

I know what she said, and I also know that women always find a legitimate excuse to go back digging on past relationships.

I know a woman who maintained connection what her ex-boyfriend's daughter. Her excuse was that she suspected that the man may be abusing his daughter.
By looking out supposedly for his daughter, the woman found herself dating the man who used to beat her again. A few months latter, they broke up with a big disaster. She nearly lost her vision due his beatings.

The Truth is that there is no way a marriage record can be bad on your record. At the time you were married to him without any knowledge of his bigamy. This cannot hurt you, as long as you were not the one who was married to two people.

If you actually only wanted to clear your record, why dont you just get a lawyer to handle the case? Why did you call the man? All you could have done was get a lawyer to represent you, your lawyer will call him if he needed to be contacted.

Once again, I advise you to let go for real. You shouldn't even have his number. stop calling him, and stop digging on his past. I know its hard to let go, I have been there, it is even more difficult for women. I have seen women return over and over again to an abusive relationship and each time they have a good reason to return. Some will say, "oh I am only checking on his mother who is my friend, or I called to speak with his sister, kids." One woman even said, "I called to invite him to the church so that he can give his soul to Christ. But the truth is that they call because the could not let go. This is hard to admit but it is the better Truth.

How come the next person's record that you checked after checking yours was your ex? Did you check your brother's, sister's, father? Why this man? Hmmm. Believe you still have some feelings for him. You might actualy be checking to see if he has married another woman after he left you.

Please leave this guy alone for your own good. I am talking from expereince, please learn from mine.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 4:25am On Jun 06, 2009
cocoman4u:

I know what she said, and I also know that women always find a legitimate excuse to go back digging on past relationships.

I have been divorced from this man for 8 years.  I had not seen him until 2008.  I have been living my life and enjoying it without him.  I see his 3 sons who are all grown now.  When we divorced, I severed all ties, but the boys each, one by one, found me when they were men and established relationships with me.  This man is not a part of my day to day existence.

The Truth is that there is no way a marriage record can be bad on your record. At the time you were married to him without any knowledge of his bigamy. This cannot hurt you, as long as you were not the one who was married to two people.

This is simply not true.  My ex-husband incurred THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN UNPAID DEBTS.  In the U.S., there is the legal fiction that married people are one.  Also, my ex-husband incurred debt and loans IN MY NAME AND WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE and I went through HELL clearing that up.

If you actually only wanted to clear your record, why dont you just get a lawyer to handle the case? Why did you call the man? All you could have   done was get a lawyer to represent you, your lawyer will call him if he needed to be contacted.

I DON'T KNOW IF YOU READ MY PREVIOUS RESPONSES, BUT I AM A LAWYER MYSELF.  WHY WOULD I NEED SOMEONE TO "HANDLE THE CASE" WHEN I CAN DO IT MYSELF.  THAT IS WHY I CALLED HIM,  TO GAUGE HIS REACTION AND TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE TO RESPOND TO MY CLAIMS AND ALLEGATIONS.  ALSO, THIS GUY'S DEBTS AND MISDEEDS ALMOST CAUSED ME TO NOT BE LICENSED AS AN ATTORNEY IN MY STATE.  I AM TRYING TO BE PROACTIVE AND NULLIFY THE RECORDS. IF I TRY TO BECOME LICENSED AGAIN IN ANOTHER STATE, THESE SAME DEBTS AND MISDEEDS AND DEBTS OF MY EX CAN CAUSE ME TROUBLE AGAIN.

Once again, I advise you to let go for real. You shouldn't even have his number
My stepson called his number for me.  I don't have the number.

How come the next person's record that you checked after checking yours was your ex? Did you check your brother's, sister's, father? Why this man? Hmmm. Believe you still have some feelings for him. You might actualy be checking to see if he has married another woman after he left you.

I CHECKED THE RECORDS USING BOTH THE "BRIDE'S NAME" AND THE "GROOM'S NAME"."  I HAVE ONLY BEEN MARRIED ONCE SO THAT WAS THE ONLY RECORD I HAD TO CHECK SINCE HE WAS MY ONLY GROOM.  AND IF YOU READ MY ORIGINAL POSTS, YOU WOULD SEE THAT I KNEW ALREADY THAT HE MARRIED SOMEONE AFTER ME.  HE MARRIED THE LADY HE WAS DATING DURING OUR MARRIAGE.  THAT WAS NO SURPRISE THERE.  I HAVE NO FEELINGS FOR THIS MAN.
'
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by cocoman4u(m): 6:01am On Jun 06, 2009
@poster
my dear I am just tyring to offer my opinions. I don't know if you are getting upset. If so, please I apologise; if so please disregard my posts.

I have read your post and I am not saying that you are a liar but some of the things just doesn't add up.

First I live in the US too and I have witnessed many legal proceedings and involving marriages. I am not a lawyer but I know that:

1) In America, the law does not punish somebody based on the crimes of his/her spouse. In this case your are no longer married to him, but even if you are, there is no way you can pay for his crimes.

2) Only in debts incurred during marriage are both parties responsible. If he incurred depths during the time you are married to him, then you may be responsible for the payment after the divorce. However, this debt is usually split between you two. If he makes more than you, or if you are not working, you can easily be absolved of the responsibility, especially if you prove that you are not aware of such debts.

3) Any debt incurred over seven years, should no longer be counted as your record. This should already have been removed from your record. If it is still there then you can easily file a petition for them to be removed, you don't need your ex-husbands help in this. Even people who filled for bankruptcy over seven years ago no longer have any record of it in their record.

3) In America, the law does not regard married couple as one. Everybody his answerable before the law for his crimes. If you husband was married to another person during the time he was married to you, this is a crime that he committed, and there is no way you will be demanded by the law to pay for it. The best you can do is report it to the law as soon as you found out. Actually you are the victim, you can even sue him and get compensated.
If this is actually true, then this is a good way for you to get out of the debts. If you can prove that he was already married before he married you then you marriage can be nullified and you may get absolved from any debt incurred during the illegal marriage. But in this you don't need to contact him. Since you are the victim, you can get a lawyer to represent you.

4)Most lawyers in serious cases get get another lawyer to represent them. The fact that you are lawyer doesn't mean that you have to represent your self. In a case like this, you are the victim, in-order to convince the judge that your ex-husband is a liar, you should show the steps that you took to avoid him. Most lawyers would file a restraining order, and get a lawyer to represent them. This will show the judge that you are traumatized by the experience and doesn't want anything to do with him any more. If he was a liar and you don't want to deal with him again how come you still call him? He can make a case against you for stalking. Did he tell you that it was okay for you to call him? The fact that you were married to him doesn't give you the right to pick up the phone and call him anytime. His wife could sue you for disturbing her family, and harassment. If you are truly a lawyer then you are approaching this issue like a novice.

5) I have checked my records many times. Even if you check your marriage record using both the bride's and the bride groom's name, you will only see that date that you two got married and where. That's all. You wont see everything about him or his whole histroy. You will see your history but not your ex-spouse's history. In order to find out everything about him, you will have to have his Name, Date of birth, and Social security number. You need these information because there may be more that a thousand people with the same first name, middle initail, and last name. So how are sure it is the man. Also, if you are using an agency like "Intelius" for these searches, keep in mind that there record may not be complete. It is possible that the man was divorced but the search agency was not able to find this record. I know for sure that it is easier to find a marriage record but not that easy to find a divorce record.

Believe me, my dear leave this man alone. you may be opening a can of worms. Be Warned.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 7:25am On Jun 06, 2009
Dearest cocoman,

I am not in the least angered by your comments, but I will again respond to each of your points to make sure I am clear regarding my position.  I did not want to be this detailed in responses, but I will speak to each point for the sake of clarity.  This information may help you understand my feelings, even if we never agree upon the way this matter should be resolved if at all:

1) In America, the law does not punish somebody based on the crimes of his/her spouse. In this case your are no longer married to him, but even if you are, there is no way you can pay for his crimes.

I NEVER SAID THAT I DID NOT WANT TO BE PUNISHED FOR HIS CRIMES.  I SAID I DID NOT WANT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS MISDEEDS AND DEBTS.

2) Only in debts incurred during marriage are both parties responsible. If he incurred depths during the time you are married to him, then you may be responsible for the payment after the divorce. However, this debt is usually split between you two. If he makes more than you, or if you are not working, you can easily be absolved of the responsibility, especially if you prove that you are not aware of such debts.

AS A PART OF OUR DIVORCE, WE DIVIDED DEBTS.  MY HUSBAND OBTAINED LOANS IN MY NAME THAT I WAS NOT AWARE OF UNTIL AFTER THE DIVORCE PROCEEDINGS WERE OVER.  MY EX-HUSBAND NEVER EVEN PAID THE DEBTS THAT WERE REFERENCED IN OUR DIVORCE DECREE.  IN AN EFFORT TO GO ON WITH MY LIFE, I DID NOT PURSUE A SEPARATE ACTION AGAINST HIM TO BE REIMBURSED FOR THESE  DEBTS.  EVEN IF I HAD PURSUED MY EX-HUSBAND FOR THE MONEY ON THE DEBTS THAT I PAID, HE CHANGED JOBS OFTEN AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TIRESOME AND FRUSTRATING TO KEEP UP GARNISHING HIS WAGES FROM JOB TO JOB AND CITY TO CITY.  SOME DEBTS WERE FORGIVEN BY THE CREDITORS.  OTHERS WERE PROVEN NOT TO BE MINE.  OTHERS I SETTLED FOR LESS THAN THE AMOUNT THAT HE RAN UP.  HOWEVER, I SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS TRYING TO CLEAR MY NAME FROM HIS DEBT AND BAD ACTS. 

3) Any debt incurred over seven years, should no longer be counted as your record. This should already have been removed from your record. If it is still there then you can easily file a petition for them to be removed, you don't need your ex-husbands help in this. Even people who filled for bankruptcy over seven years ago no longer have any record of it in their record.

WHEN I SAY I DO NOT WANT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS MISDEEDS AND DEBTS, I AM NOT TALKING ONLY OF FINANCIAL THOUGH YOU STATE THAT ONE CAN ONLY HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR A DEBT FOR SEVEN YEARS, THIS IS NOT FULLY TRUE.  UNDER THE FAIR CREDIT REPORTING ACTS, BAD DEBTS CAN ONLY BE REPORTED ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT FOR 7 YEARS.  THE AMOUNT OF TIME THE DEBT CAN BE ENFORCED AGAINST YOU IS GOVERNED BY THE STATUE OF LIMITATIONS IN THAT STATE.  JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE OUTSIDE OF THE 7 YEAR PERIOD FOR REPORTING, DOES NOT PRECLUDE A CREDITOR FROM ATTEMPTING  TO COLLECT ON THAT DEBT.  NOW, FOR ME, THE LARGER PROBLEM WITH THE WHOLE THING WITH MY EX IS NOT THE ENFORCEMENT OR COLLECTION OF THE DEBTS, BUT RATHER THE APPEARANCE OF OLD DEBTS OR SOLD DEBT, WHETHER IT IS VALID OR NOT, AND THE EFFECT IT HAS ON ANY MORAL FITNESS INVESTIGATION I MAY HAVE IN THE FUTURE.  THESE BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE VERY INTRUSIVE AND GO BACK 10-15 YEARS.  THEY ARE NOT JUST STANDARD CREDIT CHECKS.  THIS IS MY FEAR AND MY CONCERN.  IT IS NOT SO MUCH THE ENFORCEABILITY OF ANY DEBT, BUT RATHER THE IMPLICATION THAT I WAS SOMEHOW RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE DEBTS AND ACTIONS OR INVOLVED IN THEM.

3) In America, the law does not regard married couple as one. Everybody his answerable before the law for his crimes. If you husband was married to another person during the time he was married to you, this is a crime that he committed, and there is no way you will be demanded by the law to pay for it. The best you can do is report it to the law as soon as you found out. Actually you are the victim, you can even sue him and get compensated.
If this is actually true, then this is a good way for you to get out of the debts. If you can prove that he was already married before he married you then you marriage can be nullified and you may get absolved from any debt incurred during the illegal marriage. But in this you don't need to contact him. Since you are the victim, you can get a lawyer to represent you.

AGAIN, I NEVER SAID I WAS WORRIED ABOUT ANSWERING FOR MY EX-HUSBAND'S CRIME.  THE CRIME OF BIGAMY, IF HE HAS COMMITTED IT IS HIS OWN TO ANSWER FOR AND NOT MINE.  THE LAW DOES TO A GREAT EXT, HOWEVER, RECOGNIZE THE LEGAL FICTION OF HUSBAND AND WIFE BEING ONE.  THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE COMMUNITY PROPERTY STATES, LIKE CALIFORNIA , FOR INSTANCE.  THE CREDIT ACT HAS CHANGED A LOT OF THIS BUT THERE ARE STILL VERY SIGNIFICANT VESTIGES THAT REMAIN.  FOR INSTANCE, A MARRIED PERSON IN MY STATE CAN NOT BUY REAL PROPERTY WITHOUT THE SPOUSE JOINING IN AS A BUYER UNLESS THE SPOUSE FULLY DISCLAIMS ANY RIGHT IN THE PROPERTY.  THIS IS A CARRYOVER OF  THE LEGAL FICTION OF HUSBAND AND WIFE BEING ONE.  THIS IS IN THE CIVIL ARENA AND NOT IN THE  CRIMINAL ARENA.  IN CRIMES, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.  I DO NOT BELIEVE I CAN SUE HIM FOR MONETARY DAMAGES FOR THE CRIME OF BIGAMY IN THIS STATE.   THE BIGAMY STATUTE DOES NOT CREATE A PRIVATE CAUSE OF ACTION IN IT, SO THIS IS PURELY A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.   EVEN IF I COULD, IT IS NOT PALATABLE TO ME.  VICTIMS USUALLY DON'T HIRE ATTORNEYS WHEN THERE IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE INVOLVED.  THE PROSECUTION ATTEMPTS TO SECURE A CONVICTION. THAT IS ALL.

4)Most lawyers in serious cases get get another lawyer to represent them. The fact that you are lawyer doesn't mean that you have to represent your self. In a case like this, you are the victim, in-order to convince the judge that your ex-husband is a liar, you should show the steps that you took to avoid him. Most lawyers would file a restraining order, and get a lawyer to represent them. This will show the judge that you are traumatized by the experience and doesn't want anything to do with him any more. If he was a liar and you don't want to deal with him again how come you still call him? He can make a case against you for stalking. Did he tell you that it was okay for you to call him? The fact that you were married to him doesn't give you the right to pick up the phone and call him anytime. His wife could sue you for disturbing her family, and harassment. If you are truly a lawyer then you are approaching this issue like a novice.

I DON'T VIEW THIS AS A "SERIOUS CASE".  I HAVE BEEN DIVORCED FROM THIS GUY AND HAVE REBUILT MY LIFE.  I HAVE ALWAYS FEARED THAT IF I WERE TO ATTEMPT TOO GAIN LICENSURE IN ANOTHER JURISDICTION THAT SOME OF THE SAME PROBLEMS WOULD HAVE TO BE DEALT WITH AGAIN.  THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I FEEL THAT ANY OTHER LAWYER WOULD PROBABLY REPRESENT THEMSELVES ON.    I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GET THAT MOST LAWYERS WOULD ATTEMPT TO GET A RESTRAINING ORDER FROM.  RESTRAINING HIM FROM WHAT? CONTINUING TO BE IN A MARRIAGE WITH A LADY I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT?  A RESTRAINING ORDER IS USEFUL WHEN SOMEONE IS VIOLENT AND A RESTRAINING ORDER IS TEMPORARY BY NATURE.  IT IS A PRELIMINARY REMEDY ON THE WAY TO A PERMANENT ONE.  IT IS NOT APPLICABLE IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS.  IN MY PREVIOUS POSTS, I STATED THAT I WANTED TO PETITION THE COURT FOR AN ORDER DEEMING THE MARRIAGE VOID.  THAT IS THE REMEDY FOR AN INVALID MARRIAGE IN MY STATE.  I DON'T NEED TO PROVE THE GUY IS A LIAR.  ALL I WILL NEED TO DO IS TO PRODUCE THE MARRIAGE LICENSE EXECUTED BY HIM SHOWING THAT HE WAS MARRIED WHEN HE MARRIED ME.  I WILL HAVE TO PROVE THAT HE DID, IN FACT, ENTER INTO A MARRIAGE SOLEMNIZATION WITH ME AFTER THIS VOID MARRIAGE.   I WRITE A 3-4 PAGE PETITION GIVING THE FACTS. SERVE HIM. SET THE MATTER FOR TRIAL AND IN MAYBE 30 MINUTES, I WILL BE THROUGH.  IF THE JUDGE IS SUFFICIENTLY APPALLED HE CAN REFER THIS TO THE PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE FOR HIM TO FACE CRIMINAL CHARGES.  I CAN DO GO AND ASK THAT PROSECUTION BE HAD.  HOWEVER, I DON'T CARE ABOUT PROSECUTING THIS MAN.  HE IS MARRIED AGAIN WITH 2 MORE CHILDREN.  I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO HIM BECAUSE OF THIS BUT I DO CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO ME.  ALSO, MY STEP SON CALLED HIS DAD FOR ME.  MY DEAR, IN MY STATE, ONE FORMER SPOUSE CALLING ANOTHER FOR A MATTER ONE TIME DOES NOT CONSTITUTE HARASSMENT.  HIS WIFE CAN TRY, OR HE CAN TRY FOR THAT MATTER, TO HAVE ME PROSECUTED FOR HARASSMENT (NOT SUED BECAUSE WHAT YOU ARE NOW ATTEMPTING TO DESCRIBE IS A CRIMINAL MATTER AND NOT CIVIL) AND THEY BOTH WILL BE LAUGHED OUT OF THE D.A.'S OFFICE.  I HAVE NOT, NOR WILL I EVER MAKE IT A POINT TO CONTACT MARRIED MEN, EVEN IF ONE IS MY EX-HUSBAND.  I HAVE PRESENTED MYSELF THROUGHOUT THIS SMALL ORDEAL AS WHAT I AM:  A CONSUMMATE PROFESSIONAL.

5) I have checked my records many times. Even if you check your marriage record using both the bride's and the bride groom's name, you will only see that date that you two got married and where. That's all. You wont see everything about him or his whole histroy. You will see your history but not your ex-spouse's history. In order to find out everything about him, you will have to have his Name, Date of birth, and Social security number. You need these information because there may be more that a thousand people with the same first name, middle initail, and last name. So how are sure it is the man. Also, if you are using an agency like "Intelius" for these searches, keep in mind that there record may not be complete. It is possible that the man was divorced but the search agency was not able to find this record. I know for sure that it is easier to find a marriage record but not that easy to find a divorce record.

IF YOU VIEW MY PREVIOUS POSTS, YOU WILL SEE THATT I SAID JUST WHAT YOU HAVE SAID HERE.  I STATED THAT ONLINE MARRIAGE RECORDS WERE JUST BEEN MADE AVAILABLE IN MY STATE.  IN ORDER TO CHECK THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE SYSTEM, I CHECKED MY NAME.  I CHECKED MY NAME AND I CHECKED THE EX HUSBAND'S NAME AS THE GROOM.  I STATED THAT ALL I COULD SEE WAS THE NAME AND THE PLACE OF THIS MARRIAGE.  I STATED THAT I WOULD HAVE TO BUY A CERTIFIED COPY OF THE LICENSE IN QUESTION TO DETERMINE WHETHER IT WAS THE EX-HUSBAND OR NOT.  I DO HAVE HIS NAME, BIRTH DATE AND SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.  I STILL HAVE THESE FROM THE MARRIAGE.  I ONLY WANT TO KNOW THIS FOR MY OWN PROTECTION.  I NEVER SAID I KNEW FOR SURE IT WAS HIM.  I CALLED HIM TO GAUGE HIS RESPONSE.  I MAKE MY MONEY GAUGING OTHER'S RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS.  IT IS A NATURAL RESPONSE FOR ME TO DO THIS IN MY PROFESSION.  HE DENIED IT.  I LET IT BE AND ADVISED HIM I WOULD GET THE RECORD FOR MYSELF.  END OF STORY.  IF IT IS HIM, I WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE STEPS.  IF IT IS NOT HIM, I WON'T EVEN TELL HIM ABOUT IT.  IT WILL BE OVER. 

I HOPE THAT MY RESPONSES SHEDS SOME LIGHT ON MY POSITION.  IT IS FINE WITH ME IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH MY LOGIC AND MY ANALYSIS OF THE SITUATION BUT THAT IS OFTEN THE CASE WHERE ONLOOKERS ARE INVOLVED.  WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO OUR OPINIONS AND VIEWS.  IF YOU DON'T AGREE, THAT IS FINE.  WE CAN AGREE TO DISAGREE WITHOUT BEING DISAGREEABLE.  I HAVE ENJOYED READING AND RESPONDING TO YOUR THOUGHTS
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by C2H5OH(f): 7:30am On Jun 06, 2009
Try turning off your caps next time. I think it would make your post more attractive to the eyes.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by touchmeder: 7:41am On Jun 06, 2009
m sorry i have to disagree with the overwhelming opinion here
for someone with your fears and profession (and most importantly in my opinion for peace of mind)
i would say go ahead and find out
if i ever found myself in a situation where the legality of a previous marriage was put into question
and could be erased by the court of law(especially a not so good previous marriage)
and it would not hurt anyone (as you have put it)
i would say go for it, verify, and if it is true let it be expunged
u are a lawyer, you should know better
little things like this make alot of difference which might not be clear in the eyes of the ordinary man
The mentality of a good deal of Nigerians is ''let it go leave it for God, it is over, let God be the judge'' and all that
you say you are not in love with him
so ur emotions are not in question here
i say find out for you peace of mind wink
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by elisabet51(f): 4:15pm On Jun 06, 2009
I am in a similar situation then Yours. My husband is Nigerian,we met on the net and got married in the UK. He persuated me to sell my house in the USA (I live in Wisconsin) and open a movie production business in his hometown Lagos. I registered the business in my name only.After we arrived and i met his family he started to act funny.He treated me like dirt and tried to get rid of me.I went back to the US and started calling the FBI,Scottland yard and local police. Nobody wanted to help. I've lost alot of money including my houseand movie equipment. Recently I found out that he is married and has a child from the other person. I cant let this situation being unsolved and do anything to get him arrested.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by prittigrrr(f): 1:01pm On Jun 07, 2009
@ Elisabet: You should be able to have your marriage annulled in your state if u can prove he was legally married at the time he married you. Now as to the business dealings, that will be extremely difficult t prove your sacrifices were not gifts, however you might have an action for fraud depending on the facts of your case. See lawyer in ur state.
Re: What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal? by elisabet51(f): 3:41pm On Jun 10, 2009
Thank You for the advise, I really can use it, all this happen five years ago and just a few weeks ago I found out that he married someone else, he was a fool and put this info on the net, he thought that I am since in the usa I would not find out, I confronted him and he did not know what to say, then a few days later he texted me asking me to take him back, he stated he only wanted a child from this woman, he is worried now since I know that he broke the law, Ill be a fool if I would go back to him, no Im going to ask a lawyer what I should do, given up I wont

(1) (Reply)

Toddler Walked-Out Of Nursery To Her Home After Door Was Left Open / Wife Cheated, But I Must Not Escalate It / Wife Pours Hot Water On Husband Over Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.