Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained (2172 Views)

Samsung Announces Unbreakable Flexible OLED Smartphone Display / See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays / 10 Common Smartphone Mistakes That Expose You To Security Risks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by bongolistik(m): 1:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
we are quite certain that many of you see the display type of your smartphones as any of these TFT, IPS or AMOLED, but pay lesser attention to that or don't really know what they stand for and what they are being made up of.

With this tutorial, even dummies will start understanding and appreciating those 3 most common display technologies commonly used in most mobile phone screens.

It is important to note here that these 3 display types commonly in use today are all based on the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) technology.

Starting with TFT;

TFT stands for Thin-film-transistor and this type of LCD technology uses a thin film transistor to improve the qualities of images that are produced on your smartphone screen, mainly it improves on contrast.

TFT is more like old fashioned and has lesser applications presently than the other two types of display technology that we will be discussing thereafter.

Therefore, it is mostly used on low-end devices like your Nokia 230, Nokia 222, and the most recent application of plane TFT display can be seen in the latest Gionee M3 Mini smartphone.

AMOLED

AMOLED stands for Active-Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode and this type of display technology is not totally different from the TFT described above, but it is more advanced and improves on the limitations associated with the ordinary TFT.

Unlike TFT, AMOLED display technology makes use of organic compound to produce light when electric charge passes through it.

Now, like TFT, AMOLED display arranges the display pixel on LCD screens in special pattern known as Active-Matrix.

AMOLED display addresses the issue of high cost and high power consumptions in display technology, meaning that is cheap to produce and consumes lesser power, therefore you have better battery life for your device

It currently has wider applications on smartphones than the former.

Most Samsung smartphones screens are based on AMOLED display technology, and some HTC devices are known to come with AMOLED display, some few Gionee devices are also based on AMOLED display.

IPS

IPS stands for In-plane Switching and appears currently to be the most common and most widely use display technology on most smartphones in the midst of TFT and AMOLED.
It is based on parallel arrangement and switching of the molecules of the liquid crystal on LCD.

IPS was designed mainly to address the issue of poor colour quality and to lower the dependence on strong viewing angles.

Most Apple, Sony, LG, Xiaomi, devices use IPS display technology and also most MTK devices like your Tecno, Infinix, Gionee are also based on IPS display.

Source: http://highteknology.com/2015/12/the-3-most-common-smartphone-display.html

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Kingsasian(m): 1:35pm On Dec 06, 2015
I hate anything TFT. AMOLED is my preferred choice

3 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Davijunson: 1:37pm On Dec 06, 2015
Enlightening.... now I know better.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by jaytime(m): 1:52pm On Dec 06, 2015
#*Runs to check my Tab's display type*. Ahaaaa! IPS. Team Innjoo.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by cutiedave(m): 1:54pm On Dec 06, 2015
VERY GOOD PIECE OF INFORMATION...FRONT PAGE MATERIAL
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by SurefireAsoOke: 2:05pm On Dec 06, 2015
Team #SMARTPHONE

For Aso-Oke, Check my signature
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Frontier2: 2:16pm On Dec 06, 2015
TFT is the worst honestly. Images appear washed on TFT. IPS is the best among them.

It's unbelievable that phone manufacturers still uses TFT
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 06, 2015
gionee m3 Mini is IPS dude

get your facts ryt

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Frontier2: 2:30pm On Dec 06, 2015
TFT is the worst of them all. I hate it
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by bongolistik(m): 2:49pm On Dec 06, 2015
Preboy:

get your facts ryt
Here is the unadulterated features of Gionee M3 Mini.

Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by bongolistik(m): 3:01pm On Dec 06, 2015
Preboy:

get your facts ryt
though I still believe it should be IPS, cos the display doesn't look TFT at all.

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 06, 2015
bongolistik:

Here is the unadulterated features of Gionee M3 Mini.
which website is that cus most websites say the same.... but the pic I posted was gionee's official specs pics, they can't be wrong

in fact, is there an app that can tell which screen type a phone is made up off?
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Marvell23(m): 5:25pm On Dec 06, 2015
Gionee M3 mini screen is actually TFT. I have compared it against IPS screen phone and the difference in colour production is obvious. If you doubt this, get tecno l5 and compare the two
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by mrjangaweed: 6:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
though i use ips but nothing beats Amoled
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 06, 2015
Marvell23:
Gionee M3 mini screen is actually TFT. I have compared it against IPS screen phone and the difference in colour production is obvious. If you doubt this, get tecno l5 and compare the two
L5?.... reallyundecided lemme guess, you are one of them niggaz that won't let the phone section rest because of the L5

you know comparing 2 screens, they gotta be the same size, resolution and of same PPI.... so unless you can name the phone you compared it with I think you should Move on to the next Thread
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Mystiq25(m): 6:52pm On Dec 06, 2015
Preboy:

L5?.... reallyundecided lemme guess, you are one of them niggaz that won't let the phone section rest because of the L5

you know comparing 2 screens, they gotta be the same size, resolution and of same PPI.... so unless you can name the phone you compared it with I think you should Move on to the next Thread
Lol L5 marketers.
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by okitikpo: 5:35am On Dec 07, 2015
I learnt something
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by Darkseid(m): 8:25am On Dec 07, 2015
After using three LG phones with true hd ips lcd, I don't think I can ever use any Samsung phone with shitty amoled screen again.
Re: The 3 Most Common Smartphone Display Technology, TFT, AMOLED, And IPS Explained by NeduDchamp(m): 10:19am On Dec 07, 2015
Kingsasian:
I hate anything TFT. AMOLED is my preferred choice
Just spoke my mind

(1) (Reply)

Glo Wonders Again / Gionee Elife S6 Sale In India / Best Phone I Can Get For 25,000 Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.