Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,575 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know (53030 Views)

Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander / 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by excellentmomma(f): 9:06am On Feb 15, 2016
Wao, such info. God bless our scientists.

This is another testament that God really exists. See His perfect and enormous creatures.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 9:53am On Feb 15, 2016
banmee:

Not 5 billion. From your estimate, we only got 400 million years left. Thank God I'd be long gone by then. And that should be when christ would show up. I mean it doesn't make any sense to show up after the earth is gone would it? grin
no, we have 5 billion years left,
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 9:56am On Feb 15, 2016
SirAfoy1:
we were told that sun is a stationary body and earth is revolving round it (secondary school). but here you said sun rotates, do you want to confuse us. please explain how it rotates
those secondary schools that's still teaching students that we have have 9 planets? well the Sun is stationary in the Solar system not in the Milky Way galaxy
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 10:05am On Feb 15, 2016
great664:
Which instrument was used to measure them, mostly the Canis or UY Skuti to determine their size and how many miles they are far from earth?

This are just fables, tales by moonlight just to continue thier ideology that God doesn't exist.

Why is that all Astrology/Astronomy practice atheism?

These are what they use to continue holding them in bondage, was on the edge of. Believing them but thank God for his intervention
you can say that their rockets or space shuttles are fable, they don't build tech, how can intelligent peeps practice religion

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 10:37am On Feb 15, 2016
carinmom:

Scientists erroneously used to believe that the sun was stationary, we were taught this in secondary school. But guess what, Allah SWT stated this in the Quran 1400 yrs ago the sun was never stationary cool
How old is Allah?
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 10:55am On Feb 15, 2016
Misterpaul:
Interesting piece. I have always been fascinated about the sun and other planetary bodies.

But, i think its actually not wrong to say that the sun is stationary when we look at it in relation to the solar system. But, when looked at in relation to the Galaxy/milky way, then it is correct to say the sun is in motion.

The sun literally gives live to the earth. A day should be set aside by every country on earth to celebrate this powerful star called the SUN.
who knows why we have Sunday?
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 11:03am On Feb 15, 2016
sonofthunder:

you can look at it like that for the sake of comprehension but fact is the sun ain't stationary.
Why not say the Solar system since the Sun make 99.86% of the system
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 11:10am On Feb 15, 2016
Silsilah:

The Qur'an has mentioned this, several 100 years ago. Suratul Yasin(Q. 36 vs 38). Look it up
I can claim the Bible said so cause the bible said the Sun stood still, bible and Quran are rubbish books
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by banmee(m): 11:18am On Feb 15, 2016
Psylas:
no, we have 5 billion years left,

"Approximately 4.6 billion years old it will take up to about 5billion years old for it to exhaust it's hydrogen supply and therefore begin it's dying process"

The post implies that from birth to death, the sun has 5 billion years and it has been in existence for 4.6 billion. 4.6 from 5 billion is 400 million na.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 11:21am On Feb 15, 2016
banmee:

"Approximately 4.6 billion years old it will take up to about 5billion years old for it to exhaust it's hydrogen supply and therefore begin it's dying process"

The post implies that from birth to death, the sun has 5 billion years and it has been in existence for 4.6 billion. 4.6 from 5 billion is 400 million na.
No sir you misread it. the post implies the sun is already 4.6 billion years but has another approximately 5billion years to go all in all = 10billion years
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by banmee(m): 11:37am On Feb 15, 2016
johnydon22:
No sir you misread it. the post implies the sun is already 4.6 billion years but has another approximately 5billion years to go all in all = 10billion years

The the way the English is put is wrong.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by johnydon22(m): 11:40am On Feb 15, 2016
banmee:

The the way the English is put is wrong.
Alright sorry about that..
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 12:11pm On Feb 15, 2016
banmee:

no, check it well or still do research, it's 10billon years, the hydrogen in the Sun will serve for 5.4billion years

don't mind my English o

the sun would have up to 15trillion years to live when it expand and starts burning hellium
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by banmee(m): 12:16pm On Feb 15, 2016
Psylas:
no, check it well or still do research, it's 10billon years, the hydrogen in the Sun will serve for 5.4billion years

don't mind my English o

the sun would have up to 15trillion years to live when it expand and starts burning hellium

I am not saying that the sun will not exist up to 10billion years, I am saying that the way it is put makes it look like it's total years is 5billion.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Misterpaul(m): 12:56pm On Feb 15, 2016
Psylas:
who knows why we have Sunday?
Oh Yes, I guess Sunday was named after the Sun. I know some ancient people used to worship the sun i. e. the sun god.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by sonofthunder: 3:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
Psylas:
Why not say the Solar system since the Sun make 99.86% of the system
still the same thing. ain't it?
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by uwalakathankgod(m): 5:17pm On Feb 15, 2016
There Are at Least 10 Billion Trillion Stars in the Universe

That’s a very big number. When you really think about it, 10 billion trillion stars makes the cult of sun worship seem a little obsolete, although our star, the sun, is very important to us. Without it, life on earth wouldn’t be possible. Let’s put 10 billion trillion stars into perspective, shall we? For those of you who know a bit of math, that would be 10 to the power of 22 stars, or written out, it would be 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. There are probably more stars in existence than grains of sand on all of the world’s beaches. If only 1% of those stars had Earth-like planets, the universe would literally be teeming with life.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by AgentOfAllah: 5:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by AgentOfAllah: 6:02pm On Feb 15, 2016
johnydon22:
...Even though directly speaking you can say there is nothing like speed of darkness but in practicality "Speed of darkness is equal to the speed it takes light to wane"

So you can say Light and Darkness have uniformed speed of 2.9million meters/second. .

Thanks boss

After reading your response to charlesm91, I couldn't resist playing this trick on you. Here, I'll show that the speed of darkness can be faster than that of light. Consider the following scenario:

We know it takes light 8 seconds to travel from the sun to earth. Now, supposing you were standing at a position roughly equidistant from the earth and the sun, to form a triangle with height, 2 astronomical units. Now, imagine you have a torchlight whose beam disperses at an angle of 30o, and is so strong, that it outshines the sun, even after 2 A.U. If you were to put your finger exactly in front of the torchlight, and wave it across the face of the torch with a period of 1 second, your finger will cast a shadow that will intermittently eclipse parts of the sun and the earth at 1 second intervals. This is 8 times faster than the amount of time light travels from the sun to earth. Surely, this violates the claim that light is the fastest thing... So darkness can occasionally be faster! tongue tongue

Is darkness faster than light?

The trick, of course, is that the said shadow doesn't really carry any information from the sun to earth, so it isn't really a thing. It is just the absence of something (light). So, the correct answer was in the first statement you made. "Nothing like speed of darkness"

See VSauce's video on the same subject here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvcpdfGUtQ
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by melison29(m): 8:40pm On Feb 15, 2016
I no gree with number 3
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by peterbello(m): 9:41pm On Feb 15, 2016
SirWere:
Lalasticlala, will we beg? And if this is a tiwa savage thread, it will hit fp faster than you can say "mumu".

Wait sef, who is the Science and Technology mod The nigga is always on ghost mode!angryangryangry

I have said my piece, now you can ban me.

I hereby inform you that you've been banned.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Tellemall: 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
OneManLegion:

Actually, terraforming is not aeons away, it's just a couple of decades away. Terraforming is already possible with the technology we already have at our disposal. There are plans underway to start sending people to Mars in 20 years time. Beneath is a link to website that shows Elon Musk's(Elon Musk is the CEO of SpaceX, a company that launches rockets to space among other astronomy related things) plans of sending people to Mars and of course, terraforming Mars. It's a very long read, but you'll be hooked to the site.

waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html

Capital intensive.

Interesting read, will make time for it.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by OneManLegion(m): 9:59pm On Feb 15, 2016
Tellemall:

Capital intensive.

Interesting read, will make time for it.

It is capital intensive but the processes involved are quite simpler than one would expect.
I have every intention of stepping foot outside of Earth someday.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Tellemall: 10:14pm On Feb 15, 2016
OneManLegion:

It is capital intensive but the processes involved are quite simpler than one would expect.
I have every intention of stepping foot outside of Earth someday.

It's a vast, lonely universe out there.

Like astronauts, you must be the definition of cash to go out there.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by OneManLegion(m): 10:47pm On Feb 15, 2016
Tellemall:

It's a vast, lonely universe out there.

Like astronauts, you must be the definition of cash to go out there.

Nah.
To both statements. If you've read about the Fermi Paradox, you'll realise that the universe is MORE LIKELY to be anything but lonely; at least, as far as intelligent life-forms are concerned.

Astronauts are professionals whose job description entails being in space, they are not wealthy men who can afford tickets on space-crafts.
Elon Musk's deal is to revolutionalise space travel in such a way that the people who can afford the tickets will substantially increase.
I plan to NOT be broke for much longer.
I will go to Mars.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by 989900: 5:12pm On Feb 16, 2016
UY Scuti is a bright red supergiant and pulsating variable star in the constellation Scutum. It is one of the leading candidates for being the largest known star by radius and is also one of the most luminous of its kind. It has an estimated average median radius of 1,708 solar radii, or a diameter of 2.4 billion km (1.5 billion mi; 15.9 AU); thus a volume 5 billion times that of the Sun. It is approximately 2.9 kiloparsecs (9,500 light years) from Earth. If placed at the center of the Solar System, its photosphere would engulf the orbit of Jupiter, although the radius is not known for certain and may be larger than the orbit of Saturn.

Eat your heart out, VY Canis Majoris!

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Tellemall: 9:49pm On Feb 16, 2016
OneManLegion:

Nah.
To both statements. If you've read about the Fermi Paradox, you'll realise that the universe is MORE LIKELY to be anything but lonely; at least, as far as intelligent life-forms are concerned.

Astronauts are professionals whose job description entails being in space, they are not wealthy men who can afford tickets on space-crafts.
Elon Musk's deal is to revolutionalise space travel in such a way that the people who can afford the tickets will substantially increase.
I plan to NOT be broke for much longer.
I will go to Mars.

I've heard of that but I don't find space lore motivating.

Astronauts should have cash, except they are research personnel.
You've admitted that going out there on a ticket to space will cost. Therefore only super rich people can do that. That makes the whole idea of space travel a novelty that few people can afford. Costs of running business versus patronage. I don't think the price of space travel will drop simply because it becomes more common place in the very distant future.

But... Psst... See you on Mars grin
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by OneManLegion(m): 10:59pm On Feb 16, 2016
Tellemall:

I've heard of that but I don't find space lore motivating.

Astronauts should have cash, except they are research personnel.
You've admitted that going out there on a ticket to space will cost. Therefore only super rich people can do that. That makes the whole idea of space travel a novelty that few people can afford. Costs of running business versus patronage. I don't think the price of space travel will drop simply because it becomes more common place in the very distant future.

But... Psst... See you on Mars grin

Loool. You really need to visit waitbutwhy.com.
Elon Musk will revolutionalise space travel by drastically reducing the cost of sending space-crafts to space via re-usability of rockets and others.
The immediate plan is to make it as cheap as $500,000 per passenger to Mars and back. A LOT of people in can afford that.
A lot of corrupt, bloated politicians in your state can afford that without batting a diabetic eyelid.
A lot of people will afford it and as the market grows, so will other agencies, aside SpaceX invest in that novel venture.
Just go to www.waitbutwhy.com and read on "How (and why) spaceX will colonise Mars", "The Fermi Paradox" and one other one about Tesla cars. Believe me, you'll thank me for it.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Tellemall: 5:10am On Feb 17, 2016
OneManLegion:

Loool. You really need to visit waitbutwhy.com.
Elon Musk will revolutionalise space travel by drastically reducing the cost of sending space-crafts to space via re-usability of rockets and others.
The immediate plan is to make it as cheap as $500,000 per passenger to Mars and back. A LOT of people in can afford that.
A lot of corrupt, bloated politicians in your state can afford that without batting a diabetic eyelid.
A lot of people will afford it and as the market grows, so will other agencies, aside SpaceX invest in that novel venture.
Just go to www.waitbutwhy.com and read on "How (and why) spaceX will colonise Mars", "The Fermi Paradox" and one other one about Tesla cars. Believe me, you'll thank me for it.

They could afford it and go broke after a few rides. And those corrupt, bloated politicians will never want to risk their lives.
Dunno the price of an electric car and how many people drive one.
All the same, when I have time I'll try the links.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Silsilah: 12:23pm On Feb 17, 2016
Psylas:
I can claim the Bible said so cause the bible said the Sun stood still, bible and Quran are rubbish books
Please, i dont have time for your useless discuss. Get off my mentions
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Psylas(m): 1:51pm On Feb 17, 2016
Silsilah:

Please, i dont have time for your useless discuss. Get off my mentions

then stop quoting that useless Quran of yours in a science thread
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by fayahsoul: 6:57pm On Feb 21, 2016
AgentOfAllah:

The trick, of course, is that the said shadow doesn't really carry any information from the sun to earth, so it isn't really a thing. It is just the absence of something (light). So, the correct answer was in the first statement you made. "Nothing like speed of darkness"

See VSauce's video on the same subject here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvcpdfGUtQ
Both of you are wrong. Darkness is not the mere absence of light rather its a creative substance. Some scientist have refered to it as dark energy while others call it the aether. In fact light itself comes from darkness. Can you see light without darkness? Darkness circumscribes light. It is always ahead of light and creates that necessary contrast for our perception of light. Also darkness does contain and transmit information almost instantly. An absolute dark body does not reflect light. It absorbs it completely. Darkness is indeed eternal but light is an effect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ukoma Michael Builds Standing Fan Using Wires Without Electricity (Photos) / Civet Killed In Ogun Bush In Osere Matogun / Extreme Weather Conditions: 19 Coldest And Hottest Inhabited Places On Earth.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.