Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know - Science/Technology (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know (52998 Views)

Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander / 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by AgentOfAllah: 7:53pm On Feb 21, 2016
fayahsoul:

Both of you are wrong. Darkness is not the mere absence of light rather its a creative substance.
What do you mean by "creative substance"?

Some scientist have refered to it as dark energy while others call it the aether.
I don't know of any serious scientist who thinks darkness is equivalent to dark energy, or that there is such a thing as aether. The word "dark" in dark energy is used as a placeholder for "unknown source" of detected energy. You can however refer me to the scientist's work where dark energy is equated to darkness. It will make an interesting read for me.

In fact light itself comes from darkness.
No it doesn't, it mostly comes from radiation, of which the most common form is through conservation energy, when an electron relaxes from an excited state to a lower energy state. Revisit your physics.

Can you see light without darkness? Darkness circumscribes light
Staring into an active halogen lamp in broad daylight should answer your question.

It is always ahead of light and creates that necessary contrast for our perception of light.
By what measure is it ahead of light? Distance, velocity or acceleration?

Also darkness does contain and transmit information almost instantly. An absolute dark body does not reflect light. It absorbs it completely.
Black bodies do not transmit information, they radiate. The only information you can extract from a perfect black body is its temperature, and this has no direct relationship with the energy absorbed. Moreover, all black bodies are characteristically equivalent. Thus, they do not transmit information.

Darkness is indeed eternal but light is an effect.
I don't know what you mean by this.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by fayahsoul: 10:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
AgentOfAllah:
What do you mean by "creative substance"?
Darkness is creative potential, the cosmic womb in which the formless takes form out of chaos.

AgentOfAllah:
I don't know of any serious scientist who thinks darkness is equivalent to dark energy, or that there is such a thing as aether. The word "dark" in dark energy is used as a placeholder for "unknown source" of detected energy. You can however refer me to the scientist's work where dark energy is equated to darkness. It will make an interesting read for me.
Like i said darkness is not absence of light. It's a kind of energy that is parent to all other energies. Think of it as the stem cell of other energies. Of course scientist are, for the most part, clueless as to what exactly darkness/dark energy is. They detect its presence and pervasiveness but they dont know what it is. Do you think light is propagated through nothingness?

AgentOfAllah:
No it doesn't, it mostly comes from radiation, of which the most common form is through conservation energy, when an electron relaxes from an excited state to a lower energy state. Revisit your physics.
I know all that mister and besides it's basic chemistry not physics. However what i want to draw your attention to is the quantum reality of which said electron is composed of. The radiation released from within the electron comes from where exactly? is the inside of an electron illuminated or in darkness?

AgentOfAllah:
Staring into an active halogen lamp in broad daylight should answer your question.
There is still darkness in broad daylight. The earth is surrounded and pervaded by darkness and at any given time, depending on your location, there is both "broad daylight" and darkness on earth. You dont seem to understand that light cannot be sensed without darkness. Even when you consider the physiological transduction of light from your eyes to your brain all the process occur in darkness. Can there be a mountain without a valley?

AgentOfAllah:
By what measure is it ahead of light? Distance, velocity or acceleration?
Does energy have distance, velocity or acceleration?

AgentOfAllah:
Black bodies do not transmit information, they radiate. The only information you can extract from a perfect black body is its temperature, and this has no direct relationship with the energy absorbed. Moreover, all black bodies are characteristically equivalent. Thus, they do not transmit information.
You misunderstood my statement. My reference to black bodies was to highlight its mode of interaction with light hence its relationship with darkness. The point being that there is light in darkness. So just because you cant see light doesnt mean its absent.

AgentOfAllah:
I don't know what you mean by this.

Darkness like all other forms of energy can neither be created nor destroyed therefore it's eternal. Light on the other hand is a by-product of interaction between specific types of energy.
Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by AgentOfAllah: 2:17pm On Feb 22, 2016
fayahsoul:

Darkness is creative potential, the cosmic womb in which the formless takes form out of chaos.
Please define "creative potential"? And don't answer with statements like "cosmic womb" or "universal amniotic fluid"....It's tiring trying to figure out what you mean by such ambiguous crap.

Like i said darkness is not absence of light. It's a kind of energy that is parent to all other energies. Think of it as the stem cell of other energies. Of course scientist are, for the most part, clueless as to what exactly darkness/dark energy is. They detect its presence and pervasiveness but they don't know what it is. Do you think light is propagated through nothingness?
What you've just said is that "dark" is a word used to describe something that is yet to be understood. There is no new revelation here! The word has some pretty useful applications physically and metaphorically. In a physical sense, it IS the absence of light. When there is no light, you simply cannot visually sense what is around you, thus you are in the dark. Likewise, if you are in the dark, metaphorically speaking, it means you know there is something, you just don't know what it is yet. As such, the word is terrifically useful when naming tell-tale observations like "dark" matter or "dark" energy. This, in no way suggests that "darkness" is a thing. And, if there is a medium through which light is propagated, such a medium is not known yet. Although, as far as we know, EM waves will propagate, even through a perfect vacuum. Bottom line is, if you wish to claim such a thing as darkness exists, you must first define it clearly; and the terribly vague statements you've made haven't helped me understand what you mean.

I know all that mister and besides it's basic chemistry not physics. However what i want to draw your attention to is the quantum reality of which said electron is composed of. The radiation released from within the electron comes from where exactly? is the inside of an electron illuminated or in darkness?
If you don't know that the photoelectric effect, whence came the discovery of discrete energy states of light propagation was a breakthrough in Physics, not Chemistry; and even earned its discoverer the Nobel prize in PHYSICS, then I'm afraid you don't know as much as you think you do! I'll not even bother discussing this point with you because the ferocity of your posturing is proportional to the depth of the hole you keep digging for yourself. What radiation is released from within what electron? You need to do some reading on particle interactions!

There is still darkness in broad daylight. The earth is surrounded and pervaded by darkness and at any given time, depending on your location, there is both "broad daylight" and darkness on earth.
You seem confused. A bright summer day with clear skies cannot be said to be dark, yet you can still notice the distinct shine of a halogen lamp. What has this got to do with the daylight/night-time cycle of the earth?

You dont seem to understand that light cannot be sensed without darkness. Even when you consider the physiological transduction of light from your eyes to your brain all the process occur in darkness. Can there be a mountain without a valley?
You don't need darkness to sense light, you just need a light sensor whose sensitivity threshold can distinguish between normal radiation noise and meaningful signal. That's how your eyes work!

Does energy have distance, velocity or acceleration?
. The total energy of any system is given by:

ET = K.E. + P.E. Can you think of another way to write kinetic energy? I can: 1/2 MV2. Oh look! A velocity variable!!! Who would have known? Can you figure out which of those quantities can be used to derive potential energy? Don't make me spoon feed you!

You misunderstood my statement. My reference to black bodies was to highlight its mode of interaction with light hence its relationship with darkness. The point being that there is light in darkness. So just because you cant see light doesn't mean its absent.
What is this mode of interaction of light with black bodies, and how does this show that there is light in darkness. Where/when have I suggested that my inability to see light means light is absent?
EM waves are propagated through any given body in any combination of these three ways. 1) Transmission (T), 2) Reflection (Re), 3) Radiation (R). The absolute relation between the incident energy and these three modes is always given by:

( ET + ERE + ER ) / (Ein) = 1.

When ET = ERE = 0, the medium through which such a light has passed is said to be a black body, and that EM is totally absorbed and converted to heat, which is then radiated. This relation makes a black body a perfect radiator too, which is why black things tend to be hotter than white ones under any given light intensity/frequency. That's what makes fancy physics experiments like Crooke's radiometer work so well!

Darkness like all other forms of energy can neither be created nor destroyed therefore it's eternal. Light on the other hand is a by-product of interaction between specific types of energy.
What is darkness?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 8:25pm On Mar 09, 2016
Hmm...... Informative

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Young Man "Excited" As Snake Invades His House At Midnight In Enugu. Photos / Ukoma Michael Builds Standing Fan Using Wires Without Electricity (Photos) / Civet Killed In Ogun Bush In Osere Matogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.