Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,933 members, 7,806,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House (42856 Views)

Photos Of My Apartment After Renovation For Christmas -phoros / First Time Landlord : I Shunned A Family House To Build Mine / Our Renovation Diary (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by mufutau55(m): 8:59pm On Dec 17, 2015
Xzevian:
but there is a way you can measure the granite after the delivery.

Oga mi Sir. We need lesson on this matter above o... it will be nice to know how to measure this thing on ground o.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 17, 2015
Xzevian:
I'm highly humble by your recommendation sir, we promise not to let you and every of our customers down.sir, your going to quarry can not make the different as no outsider is allowed to enter scale room or buy directly frm the chinese.... The worst part of it is when you fall into a third party/barander hand... .. it is better to talk your supplier the implications of supplyING you less than what you both agreed on. I quite agree with you on this sir but no matter how the scale adjustment , it shouldn't be more than 0.95 difference. but there is a way you can measure the granite after the delivery.

In my own opinion going to the quarry will enable to check off one of my would like to do's, I am not above getting my hands dirty and may myself dabble into setting up a materials supply and management company in the future. So I would kill two birdies with one stone.

Explain this .095 difference more. So you are saying that if I ordered 2 tonnes then if I get 1.05 tonnes I should be good?

Thanks.

PS: I don't need to enter the quarry to safeguard what I think is the issue. I have been to the quarry on Ibadan/Lagos Sloway. I can wait outside for the truck to exit and inspect the waybill (time/date stamp) and follow behind the truck to my site. Easy peasy. Oh yeah pay per tonnage and not an estimate. So if granite is N2,300 per tonne and the loaded tonne is 29.05 then that is what I pay on, not on 30 tonnes.

PPS: For the high falooting busy executives, tuale o, but please give me a pass and face your lane grin
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 17, 2015
mufutau55:

Oga mi Sir. We need lesson on this matter above o... it will be nice to know how to measure this thing on ground o.

Hajji M.

And I better not hear "call me" grin
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 9:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
johnson232:

my engr. is the removal of the existing plastering work actually necessary?
we discussed about tonnage for sand the last time.
but most suppliers would argue there is no tonnage for sand, they use tyres, am confused. sad

nice work, very neat and perfect, i must confess....

Thank sir for the positive compliment.

The basic truth lies in the dimensions of the vehicle.
Next time they deliver with any of the vehicle, be it 6 tires or 10 tires, please follow these simple procedure
1.get your measuring tape
2.get the length of the bucket (the part of the vehicle carrying the sand)
3.get the height and the width

Make L= length, W= width, and H=, height

Get the volume of the bucket, V = LWH
The tonnage = V x density of sand in tonnes
= V x 1.6

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 10:12pm On Dec 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Over here, the rough areas would have been grounded down to save time and money but this look like a money be damned project grin

I think we consider all possible options and the money spent on the entire outside plaster was still very reasonable considering the nature of the work.

Option one : use filling machine to smoothing the wall and then apply Portland cement screed to the surface to make it smoother.
Problem with option includes.
1. Building surface was very uneven, at some point we have more than 25mm variations between the bottom of ground floor and top of first floor
2. We opened up too many Windows, and most of the first and ground floor windows were not properly aligned , we have to align them and that leads to too much opening that need to be covered.
3. We added two additional block work plus head course. These needed to be plastered and patching up the building will not do any help
4. The outside paint looks too old and the plastered layer had sock a lot of water during wet season and the plastering look too week.

Considering all the above stated point we realized that a new plaster when properly done and adequately monitored will be cost effective, safe us a lot of future stress and truly make our building modern.

Here is the breakdown of materials and workmanship for outside plastering
1. Plaster 7 trips of 10 tonnage at the rate of N15,000 each
2. Sharp sand 2 trips of 10tonnage tipper at the rate of N12,000/trip
3. Cement about 128 bags using a mix of 1:1:4
4. Workmanship was a bit complicated due to the nature of the job
Total number of partitions = 102,
Mason do two partitions a day
I increase their daily to pay from N3,500 to N4000 in other to increase speed and get a very good job. They were very happy and do whatever I commanded them to do
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 17, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I think we consider all possible options and the money spent on the entire outside plaster was still very reasonable considering the nature of the work.

Option one : use filling machine to smoothing the wall and then apply Portland cement screed to the surface to make it smoother.
Problem with option includes.
1. Building surface was very uneven, at some point we have more than 25mm variations between the bottom of ground floor and top of first floor
2. We opened up too many Windows, and most of the first and ground floor windows were not properly aligned , we have to align them and that leads to too much opening that need to be covered.
3. We added two additional block work plus head course. These needed to be plastered and patching up the building will not do any help
4. The outside paint looks too old and the plastered layer had sock a lot of water during wet season and the plastering look too week.

Considering all the above stated point we realized that a new plaster when properly done and adequately monitored will be cost effective, safe us a lot of future stress and truly make our building modern.

Here is the breakdown of materials and workmanship for outside plastering
1. Plaster 7 trips of 10 tonnage at the rate of N15,000 each
2. Sharp sand 2 trips of 10tonnage tipper at the rate of N12,000/trip
3. Cement about 128 bags using a mix of 1:1:4
4. Workmanship was a bit complicated due to the nature of the job
Total number of partitions = 102,
Mason do two partitions a day
I increase their daily to pay from N3,500 to N4000 in other to increase speed and get a very good job. They were very happy and do whatever I commanded them to do

Thank you for the explanations.

I fully understand now.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Xzevian(m): 10:51pm On Dec 17, 2015
sir, what am trying to say here is that quarry scale are not the same as there is always a slight difference in their measurements. for example, what is 30tons in quarry a might be 29.5 in quarry b
EgunMogaji:

In my own opinion going to the quarry will enable to check off one of my would like to do's, I am not above getting my hands dirty and may myself dabble into setting up a materials supply and management company in the future. So I would kill two birdies with one stone.
Explain this .095 difference more. So you are saying that if I ordered 2 tonnes then if I get 1.05 tonnes I should be good?
Thanks.

sir;i'm still under your tutulage, you can easily do that by measure the length feet, width feet and height inches which will give you cubic and then multiply by 1.4 which is the rule of thumb. for example height feet ×width feet × height/depth inches= cubic, then cubic × 1.4= tonnage. note this only applicable to granite, gravel and sand.[quote author=mufutau55 post=41100912]

Hajji M.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 17, 2015
Tell you what, let's take this to the other thread so we don't sully AbdulWastecx thread.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Xzevian(m): 11:14pm On Dec 17, 2015
[quote author=mufutau55 post=41100912]

Hajji M.
sir; i'm still under your tutulage, you can easily do that by measure the length feet, width feet and height inches which will give you cubic and then multiply by 1.4 which is the rule of thumb. for example height feet ×width feet × height/depth inches= cubic, then cubic × 1.4= tonnage. note this only applicable to granite, gravel and sand.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by mufutau55(m): 2:06am On Dec 18, 2015
Xzevian:
Hajji M.
sir; i'm still under your tutulage, you can easily do that by measure the length feet, width feet and height inches which will give you cubic and then multiply by 1.4 which is the rule of thumb. for example height feet ×width feet × height/depth inches= cubic, then cubic × 1.4= tonnage. note this only applicable to granite, gravel and sand.

Thank you very much sir.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by johnson232: 7:07am On Dec 18, 2015
abdulwastecx:

Thank sir for the positive compliment.

The basic truth lies in the dimensions of the vehicle.
Next time they deliver with any of the vehicle, be it 6 tires or 10 tires, please follow these simple procedure
1.get your measuring tape
2.get the length of the bucket (the part of the vehicle carrying the sand)
3.get the height and the width

Make L= length, W= width, and H=, height

Get the volume of the bucket, V = LWH
The tonnage = V x density of sand in tonnes
= V x 1.6
thanks a lot sir...

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 4:53pm On Dec 20, 2015
More work updates

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 4:55pm On Dec 20, 2015
More work

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 4:57pm On Dec 20, 2015
More plastering updates

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by twinskenny(m): 6:46pm On Dec 20, 2015
missed this place already... weldone boss grin

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by whymaney: 7:49pm On Dec 20, 2015
I will like to get the phone number of you guys

2 Likes

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Derguss(m): 8:03pm On Dec 20, 2015
abdulwastecx:
Removal and construction of new stair

the stair at the front prior to removal.
type of stair: dog leg stair case
reason for removals includes:
1. uneven riser
2. waist too thin ( waist shouldn't be less than 150mm)
3.uneven thread
4. Half of the stair is a ramp and make movement impossible
Can you please educate us on how you were able to remove the stairs without unnecessary damage to the building. Do you use chemical agents for removal of concrete stairs and are they available in Nigeria? I quite like your work and the detailed explanation attached. Welldone and keep up the good work.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:05pm On Dec 20, 2015
whymaney:
I will like to get the phone number of you guys

That will be great
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by gabbytabby: 9:48pm On Dec 20, 2015
abdulwastecx:
More plastering updates

I can see you do plaster before the ceiling should this not be done after.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 11:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
gabbytabby:

We are going to use pop ceiling
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by gabbytabby: 11:11pm On Dec 20, 2015
abdulwastecx:

We are going to use pop ceiling
okay.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 6:45am On Dec 21, 2015
Derguss:

Can you please educate us on how you were able to remove the stairs without unnecessary damage to the building. Do you use chemical agents for removal of concrete stairs and are they available in Nigeria? I quite like your work and the detailed explanation attached. Welldone and keep up the good work.

We were a bit lucky that we have the stair directly supported by a beam at each end of the run. These beams run perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the stair, this enable removal by chieselin possible.

A great deal of energy was put into the stair to get it removed manually using very big sledge hammer by three able man. The vibration from such activity was minimal on the building because of the beam the stair is resting on.
I will get some pictures and sketches to explain better.

The stair was removed due to some reason listed below.
1.very thin waist , the waist of the stair was too thin to support high traffic of such nature. Initially before removal of stair, the waist was around 75mm while the new constructed stair have a waist of 175mm from ground to first land and 200mm from first landing to the top landing

2uneven risers and thread: the size of riser and thread varies from places to places, from architectural consideration it make it possible to get injured easily and difficult to navigate. The new stair has a riser of 150mm(6''), thread of 300mm ( 12''or One foot) this make it possible for elderly people to use it very conveniently.

3. half of the stair was a ramp, which make movement impossible. Prior to the commencement of the repair job the front staircase wasn't put into use because of this ramp. We needed to get into uniform and all into a workable means of accessing the building upper floor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 6:53am On Dec 21, 2015
gabbytabby:

Maybe you wanted to say ' we do plastering before noggin'?

When I use pop for my ceiling I don't really do noging because I hanged my pop to the roof truss directly for rigidity and to safe cost.
Noggin is not that necessary for pop work because the pop people will get a different level and only need to attached the pop to wood using binding wires
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 6:56am On Dec 21, 2015
More

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Derguss(m): 12:32pm On Dec 21, 2015
@Abdulwastecx
Thanks for the information. The pictures and sketches will be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Derguss(m): 12:41pm On Dec 21, 2015
More grease to your elbows.

2 Likes

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by podosci(m): 2:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
The truth lies in the fundamentals which is Density = mass / volume.
Volume
The volume in cubic meters is given has length x width x height. In this case the volume of the truck be it 6 tires or 10 tires can be obtained. I measured a 6tire once and got dimensions of 3.5 x 3.25 x 0.6 m resulting in 6.825 cubic meters.
Density
density varies with the type of materials and it's gotten from laboratory experiments. The density of different types of materials are listed below
Sharp sand/plaster sand = 1600kg/m3
Density of Gravel (using the dry density of concrete) = 2400kg/m3
Density of Ordinary Portland Cement = 1506kg/m3
Mass
The mass has a direct relationship weight and can be gotten by rearranging the formula earlier listed for density Mass in kg= density x Volume.
1000kg gives you 1 tone.( Mass kg/ 1000) = mass tonne

Let's say you received a trip of sand with a 6 tire having dimensions of 3.5x 3.25x0.6m giving you a volume of 6.825 cubic meters. Since we have established the density of sand to be 1600kg/m3
Mass kg = 6.825 x 1600
= 10920kg
Converting to tonne
Mass tonne = mass kg/1000
= 10920/1000
= 10. 9tonne
Next time you receive your material get your tape and calculator ready to be sure you paying for the right quantity.

3 Likes

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by mavverick: 4:08pm On Dec 21, 2015
Guys

Excuse my ignorance, when doing pop upstairs where a roof exists, do you guys install like a plasterboard which the pop then goes on or how does it hang on a suspended ceiling ?

Secondly, when do you introduce spot lights and how is it done ?

In some western countries where they do not use concrete suspended floors, where they use plasterboard ceilings that are then skimmed (plastered) to give a smooth finish and also hide plaster board nails, what happens is that the electrician then uses a drill to make holes for a spot light, they then pass the cables into the various holes, usually a 1.5mm cable or so. You then connect it to the spot light base and then insert into the various holes. I just wonder how its done in Nija.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Porthos: 5:28pm On Dec 21, 2015
podosci:
The truth lies in the fundamentals which is Density = mass / volume.
Volume
The volume in cubic meters is given has length x width x height. In this case the volume of the truck be it 6 tires or 10 tires can be obtained. I measured a 6tire once and got dimensions of 3.5 x 3.25 x 0.6 m resulting in 6.825 cubic meters.
Density
density varies with the type of materials and it's gotten from laboratory experiments. The density of different types of materials are listed below
Sharp sand/plaster sand = 1600kg/m3
Density of Gravel (using the dry density of concrete) = 2400kg/m3
Density of Ordinary Portland Cement = 1506kg/m3
Mass
The mass has a direct relationship weight and can be gotten by rearranging the formula earlier listed for density Mass in kg= density x Volume.
1000kg gives you 1 tone.( Mass kg/ 1000) = mass tonne

Let's say you received a trip of sand with a 6 tire having dimensions of 3.5x 3.25x0.6m giving you a volume of 6.825 cubic meters. Since we have established the density of sand to be 1600kg/m3
Mass kg = 6.825 x 1600
= 10920kg
Converting to tonne
Mass tonne = mass kg/1000
= 10920/1000
= 10. 9tonne
Next time you receive your material get your tape and calculator ready to be sure you paying for the right quantity.

baba pls clarify my doubts……… wat is the correct way to give dimensions or how is it done in site? length x width or th reverse? Most design softwares use width x height... pls assist with any useful explanation
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by podosci(m): 6:50pm On Dec 21, 2015
In Mathematics they use length x width and their is that common perception that the longer dimensions are the length and the shorter dimensions are width. BUT
In Construction and other Engineering fields I observe the use of Width x length.
I cannot explain why but I hope someone in the house can give us a logical reason why.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by gabbytabby: 4:57am On Dec 23, 2015
abdulwastecx:

Maybe you wanted to say ' we do plastering before noggin'?

When I use pop for my ceiling I don't really do noging because I hanged my pop to the roof truss directly for rigidity and to safe cost.
Noggin is not that necessary for pop work because the pop people will get a different level and only need to attached the pop to wood using binding wires

That is good to know. Pop cost might be reasonable considering the savings from the other areas.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by amosamali(m): 2:47am On Dec 25, 2015
podosci:
Civil Engineers with vast knowledge of building construction from years of personal experience in the construction industry backed up with our B.ENG first class honours( Abdulwastecx) and second class upper honours(Podosci) in civil engineering from the prestigious Federal University of technology, Minna. Our aim is to reduce the 17 million housing deficit in Nigeria with our research into low cost housing while maintaining standards and durability. One House at a time

Pls sir,can I do my I T with you guys....I'm a 400 lvl bld student @Fut Minna.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. / The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House / When She Said She Want A Guy With A House And A Car. And He's A Civil Engineer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.