Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House (42819 Views)

Photos Of My Apartment After Renovation For Christmas -phoros / First Time Landlord : I Shunned A Family House To Build Mine / Our Renovation Diary (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:21pm On Mar 22, 2016
Onuokwu:

Laugh ke? I am very impressed with the hands on approach and wish some engineers i have worked with will be more involved rather than dishing our orders over the phone. In future I hope you continue with the personal touch you give your projects, and train your workmen to know what you want even if you are not there so that there is minimal room for disagreements.

We are planning to continue that sir. Harney structure is a young film, we will definitely improve with time, we have artisans in our roster that we are training.

My bricklayers know all the standard measurement, mixed ratios and all small to technicalities they should know.

We will improve with time

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:22pm On Mar 22, 2016
Empiree:
Was referring to Polystyrene (Foam) parapet. It was mentioned my Hajji mufu

It is very light weight. The lightest parapet you could ever come across

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 8:32pm On Mar 22, 2016
abdulwastecx:

It is very light weight. The lightest parapet you could ever come across
Oh great. How does it look. Is it the same used on this thread or do you have sample you can post here?. I really need light weight with price tag.

Thanks

Note: And what is it made of
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:37pm On Mar 22, 2016
Empiree:
Oh great. How does it look. Is it the same used on this thread or do you have sample you can post here?. I really need light weight with price tag.

Thanks

Note: And what is it made of

That is what we use for this project.
Cost depend on size and additional structural work you will need to do.
It is made of polyfoam

2 Likes

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 8:41pm On Mar 22, 2016
abdulwastecx:

That is what we use for this project.
Cost depend on size and additional structural work you will need to do.
It is made of polyfoam
Oh so you work in the industry or you only have this information?. In any case, is there a company that sells them in nija and is it strong enough to hold Step Tiles, Metcopo or simply all roofing sheets?
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:07am On Mar 25, 2016
Empiree:
Oh so you work in the industry or you only have this information?. In any case, is there a company that sells them in nija and is it strong enough to hold Step Tiles, Metcopo or simply all roofing sheets?

I don't work with the company but uses them for fascia job.

There are companies in Abuja that manufactured them.

It is strong enough and it is a misconception that concrete fascia carries load. They don't carry your step tiles or metcopo roofing sheet.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 1:25pm On Mar 25, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I don't work with the company but uses them for fascia job.

There are companies in Abuja that manufactured them.

It is strong enough and it is a misconception that concrete fascia carries load. They don't carry your step tiles or metcopo roofing sheet.
At highlighted part, you think so?. Why did you say that?. I am scared of the way it appears to be heavy load. Apart from cost, which of the facial technics is manageable and last longer? I mean:

Concrete Parapet
Aluminum "
Precast "
Foam " etc
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 10:31pm On Mar 25, 2016
Empiree:
At highlighted part, you think so?. Why did you say that?. I am scared of the way it appears to be heavy load. Apart from cost, which of the facial technics is manageable and last longer? I mean:

Concrete Parapet
Aluminum "
Precast "
Foam " etc

They are not designed to carry load.
Parapet, insitu concrete fascia, precast concrete fascia are all design to change wind direction in other to protect the roof against roof uplifting and to also beautify the house. The load is actually carried by rafter, tie beam and transfer to the accompanying head beam

3 Likes

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 10:35pm On Mar 25, 2016
Empiree:

Concrete Parapet
Aluminum "
Precast "
Foam " etc

They all last longer.
Parapet last long but will need to be repented from time to time. It may even need to be replastered after some time.

Aluminium last longer but don't have too much aesthetic

Polystyrene is light weight, last very long and don't have additional maintenance of parapet or insitu concrete fascia.

Precast last long if properly install but not as long as polystyrene or insitu Concrete fascia.

Note. Parapet is different from concrete fascia.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 1:13am On Mar 26, 2016
abdulwastecx:

They all last longer.
Parapet last long but will need to be repented from time to time. It may even need to be replastered after some time.

Aluminium last longer but don't have too much aesthetic

Polystyrene is light weight, last very long and don't have additional maintenance of parapet or insitu concrete fascia.

Precast last long if properly install but not as long as polystyrene or insitu Concrete fascia.

Note. Parapet is different from concrete fascia.
Thanks a lot. What's the major difference btw parapet and concrete fascia?.

Do you have pix of already installed Aluminum and Polystyrene?. From what you discribed here I might go with polystyrene but I don't want to soft to way to break stiff either. Maybe aluminum will do. We shall see.

As for concrete, definitely will need repainting and plastering sometimes. I don't have problem with that. I'm only concerned about weight.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 2:14pm On Mar 30, 2016
More updates from our garage house... looking like the the 3D s as we progress

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2016
More views from inside

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 2:19pm On Mar 30, 2016
Outside view of the garage house

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 2:31pm On Mar 30, 2016
our small security house, final look

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 2:35pm On Mar 30, 2016
we are putting final touches to our fence... here is fence precast coping

2 Likes

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 4:02pm On Mar 30, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Polystyrene fascia and head beam
Haa ha ha you have used Polystyrene before. This is what i am talking about. I see this at the beginning of this thread, i thought it was precast concrete. You mean this guy is not heavy?. It appears though.

What is/are the negative effect of this fascia design and how is it maintain overtime?

And how much per piece like that?

I also want to see where "aluminum parapet" is used (if any)

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 4:17pm On Mar 30, 2016
TBrownAuto:
Those facial are they precast or made of other material, my concern what is the durability. I really need those.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 4:19pm On Mar 30, 2016
abdulwastecx:

They are polystyrene and very durable.
It is light weight and also very easy to install.
It is popularly used in Abuja

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 4:36pm On Mar 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Here's what a Nairalander sold to me as 30 tons (the slip shows 29 tons but that's not happening again grin )

So I don't know since I have no scale.

I'm still going to do a quarry run myself in March.

Those Them Days When I Used To Play On This Gravel: Boju Boju oo oh, Oloro nbo grin grin grin And Ere onibon grin grin grin grin

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 7:23pm On Mar 30, 2016
Marking out the stairs. I have to do this myself. Please don't laugh me people

1 Share

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 31, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Stone is your concrete strength, never exclude it even if you want build a temporary bath room (lol). No matter how dry the land looks always use your coarse aggregates

Abdu greetynx, xumtime last year I following up on ur tutorial on foundation pegging and stuff• I went to a site of a mutual friend, he was suppose to b the `engineer` I couldn't allow myself to fault the degree/margin of errors he allowed knowingly or ignorantly ,not until when Mortal was used for the trench all round the foundation• TheN I just knew the dude is suppose to remain a bricklayer• There is zero stone in a foundation of a two bedroom flat, Yet he seemed so xure¤
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 9:26am On Mar 31, 2016
written:

Abdu greetynx, xumtime last year I following up on ur tutorial on foundation pegging and stuff• I went to a site of a mutual friend, he was suppose to b the `engineer` I couldn't allow myself to fault the degree/margin of errors he allowed knowingly or ignorantly ,not until when Mortal was used for the trench all round the foundation• TheN I just knew the dude is suppose to remain a bricklayer• There is zero stone in a foundation of a two bedroom flat, Yet he seemed so xure¤

That is a wrong thing to do sir. Wall structural cracking will occur in such a house
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:41am On Apr 15, 2016
We are the exterior finishing stage, which just have to think out of the box to pull out some of the architectural three dimensions design...

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:43am On Apr 15, 2016
More pictures

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Ipinuoluwa: 12:44am On Apr 16, 2016
Well done Engineer Abdul, u are really blessed, keep up the good work. wink please I will call u soon to discuss some things with you. Kudos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Mayor78: 4:47am On Apr 16, 2016
abdulwastecx:
more

Great work here guys. But why would people go on to use precast fascia when they can conviniently use polystyrene fascia that as far as I can see here seems to have same or very similar aesthetics. Which one is better everything considered. Great renovation. Well done guys.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by gbadexy(m): 5:13am On Apr 16, 2016
I don't know about structural engineering but the finishing looks superb.
Attention was paid to details.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Mayor78: 5:57am On Apr 16, 2016
Interesting, I don't know parapet also serves as roof sheets wind protector. Some might say where the common sense.

But most of the times common sense is never ever common a'll.

abdulwastecx:

They are not designed to carry load.
Parapet, insitu concrete fascia, precast concrete fascia are all design to change wind direction in other to protect the roof against roof uplifting and to also beautify the house. The load is actually carried by rafter, tie beam and transfer to the accompanying head beam
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 6:45am On Apr 16, 2016
Mayor78:

Great work here guys. But why would people go on to use precast fascia when they can conviniently use polystyrene fascia that as far as I can see here seems to have same or very similar aesthetics. Which one is better everything considered. Great renovation. Well done guys.

The cost of polystyrene fascia is the major reason why people still do precast instead of polystyrene fascia. Polystyrene fascia is more expensive than polystyrene
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 7:19am On Apr 16, 2016
More updates from external works

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Juokorow(m): 8:32pm On Apr 20, 2016
abdulwastecx:

That will be great sir.

Polystyrene fascia is cheaper than insitu cast concrete fascia (paraper) by almost 30% to 40%.
It is faster to install and construction is neater.
Light advantage is another major importance.

As for other structural use, like polystyrene rib in ribbed slab construction, it is a good thing to use for suspended floor in residential houses, hotel, school etc. It is cheaper than concrete slab and also faster. It also contribute much less load to other structural members like beam and colum

I sent you a message on Whatsapp and will call you soon. Regards.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Nobody: 2:42am On Apr 26, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Marking out the stairs. I have to do this myself. Please don't laugh me people

This earned you a big plus in my book Sir.

You asked me a question before if I expected building engineers to be hands on and I said yes. So here we are.

Good work.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Share Your Experience Living In The Same Compound With The Landlord/Landlady / My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. / The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.