Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,555 members, 7,809,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House (42870 Views)

Photos Of My Apartment After Renovation For Christmas -phoros / First Time Landlord : I Shunned A Family House To Build Mine / Our Renovation Diary (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Nobody: 2:47am On Apr 26, 2016
This is the beauty of sharing projects on this forum.

Now I know that there is another method to doing this sloped roof.

Compare the two pics, one with the sloped walls already made before roofing and the other after roofing.

Thanks guys

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by mufutau55(m): 2:37pm On Apr 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:
This is the beauty of sharing projects on this forum.
Now I know that there is another method to doing this sloped roof.
Compare the two pics, one with the sloped walls already made before roofing and the other after roofing.
Thanks guys

I think I like the "before roofing" idea, so that the roof will be parallel to the slope, instead of trying to use concrete to fill the "after roofing".
What do you think, Egun?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 26, 2016
mufutau55:

I think I like the "before roofing" idea, so that the roof will be parallel to the slope, instead of trying to use concrete to fill the "after roofing".
What do you think, Egun?

Hajji M.

My chief, I was at loggerheads with my builder about this but he insists on the after roofing carcas method - I choose my battles with him grin

He seems to have been vindicated by AbdulWastecx and Podosci here.

I would also have preferred the before roofing method buy as long as it's properly done I think both methods are fine.

Eyin agba leso wipe "karoso modi, karodi maso, ki idi masa tiwa ni ihoho ni" grin
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by mufutau55(m): 3:41pm On Apr 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:
My chief, I was at loggerheads with my builder about this but he insists on the after roofing carcas method - I choose my battles with him grin
He seems to have been vindicated by AbdulWastecx and Podosci here.
I would also have preferred the before roofing method buy as long as it's properly done I think both methods are fine.
Eyin agba leso wipe "karoso modi, karodi maso, ki idi masa tiwa ni ihoho ni" grin

Nah true you talk o. As long as it's done right. I hope the guys do it right like AbdulWastecx and Podosci; those boys are really trying o.

Hajji M.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 5:54pm On Apr 26, 2016
mufutau55:

What do you think, Egun?

Hajji M.
Have You Thought About Polystyrene?
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by mufutau55(m): 6:10pm On Apr 26, 2016
Empiree:
Have You Thought About Polystyrene?

In form of what? I mean do what..

Hajji M.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 6:16pm On Apr 26, 2016
mufutau55:

In form of what? I mean do what..

Hajji M.
Instead of concrete facial or aluminum parapet
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by mufutau55(m): 6:25pm On Apr 26, 2016
Empiree:
Instead of concrete facial or aluminum parapet

Oh! Ok. Yes I did thought about Polystyrene parapet... but it's more expensive than the Precast... if it was the same price or less, then I would have done that instead of the precast..
When Abdulwastecx installed it, I got all the info for it, very nice but not for poor guy like me.

Hajji M.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 6:30pm On Apr 26, 2016
mufutau55:

Oh! Ok. Yes I did thought about it... but it's more expensive than the Precast... if it was the same price or less, then I would have done that instead of the precast..

Hajji M.
I am just afraid of load of concrete facial and precast. But I dont think the cost difference should be a whole lot though
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by mufutau55(m): 6:35pm On Apr 26, 2016
Empiree:
I am just afraid of load of concrete facial and precast. But I dont think the cost difference should be a whole lot though

If you have enough pillars on the building and the precast is hanged well for you then it will be safe and the least cost.
I did the cost comparison and mine was not small... Contact Abdulwastecx to help you with cost comparison.
if the cost difference is minimal then it's a very good idea and lightweight. I actually love it.

Hajji M.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Juokorow(m): 7:34pm On Apr 28, 2016
mufutau55:

If you have enough pillars on the building and the precast is hanged well for you then it will be safe and the least cost.
I did the cost comparison and mine was not small... Contact Abdulwastecx to help you with cost comparison.
if the cost difference is minimal then it's a very good idea and lightweight. I actually love it.

Hajji M.

Would you kindly share your cost comparison? Thanks.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:24am On Apr 29, 2016
Juokorow:

Would you kindly share your cost comparison? Thanks.

Let me give you a hint here sir.

Here are the components of polystyrene
1. Polystyrene fascia
2. Head beam ( you need it with or without the polystyrene, so I don't add the cost to the total cost of the job).

For the polystyrene, there are different sizes and design. the beauty of this is you can take your design to their company for production.
We have 250 x 250mm which cost about N2,800/m
We have 450 x 450mm which cost about N4,500/m
And you can ask for special production which cost less.
Note: I normally ask for special production which cost less.

You will need binding wires
Pay for installation.

For a bungalow, 250 mm x 250mm is adequate
For a duplex 450mm x 450mm is adequate
For a taller building 600mm x 450mm is ideal.

Major cost are :
Cost of polystyrene
Cost of installation
Cost of transportation

For a typical project (minus) head beam
4200 + 1000 + 350 = N5,550

Assuming your building has a perimeter of 100m, then it will cost you N5,55, 000 (excluding head beam).
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Juokorow(m): 7:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
abdulwastecx:

1. Polystyrene fascia
2. Head beam ( you need it with or without the polystyrene, so I don't add the cost to the total cost of the job).

For the polystyrene, there are different sizes and design. the beauty of this is you can take your design to their company for production.

Pay for installation.

Major cost are :
Cost of polystyrene
Cost of installation
Cost of transportation

Assuming your building has a perimeter of 100m, then it will cost you N5,55, 000 (excluding head beam).

Thanks for advancing our understanding of this alternative. Those of us who are not keen on a "concrete necklace" parapet may find the illustrative cost of polystyrene very attractive. For our further education, would you mind highlighting any potential benefits in the structural design/cost of a house that has this lighter fascia. In other words: any significant cost savings on load bearing structures such as columns, slabs and beams when using polystyrene vs concrete "necklace"? Thanks again!
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 8:24am On May 01, 2016
Juokorow:

Thanks for advancing our understanding of this alternative. Those of us who are not keen on a "concrete necklace" parapet may find the illustrative cost of polystyrene very attractive. For our further education, would you mind highlighting any potential benefits in the structural design/cost of a house that has this lighter fascia. In other words: any significant cost savings on load bearing structures such as columns, slabs and beams when using polystyrene vs concrete "necklace"? Thanks again!

Polystyrene fascia is relatively very light weight which results to little twisting moment on the head beam. From this structural perspective it make it possible to use it on non frame building (building without pillars)

For the heavier concrete parapet ( precast or insitu cast) you need the building to be framed (have sufficient pillars) and a well reinforced head beam to have a chance of structural integrity.

Polystyrene have so many other uses, such as rib or waffle pod for slab and foundation on grade.
This pod is used as a subsititude for clay block, it is very cost effective, very neat and speed up time of construction.

We also have polystyrene walls ( very light weight wall) which can be used as a substitute for the load bearing wall. This wall help to reduce the dead load on beam which in turn reduces beams and columns cross section and reinforcement

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by podosci(m): 11:56am On May 01, 2016
*non-load bearing walls
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Mayor78: 5:10am On May 02, 2016
abdulwastecx:

1. Polystyrene fascia

Pay for installation.

Major cost are :
Cost of polystyrene
Cost of installation
Cost of transportation

Enormous thanks for this breakdown, can't get enough of of your lectures here. Well done. But would like to know how you factored in the cost of transport I.e. from which point to where? What is the comparing cost of equivalent measure for precast or in situ concrete facia.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 1:41am On May 04, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Polystyrene fascia
How does it installed when it comes to roofing, do we still need some sort of bricks or concert to hold it?. Do you have sample of a finished Polystyrene fascia done in nigeria?
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by podosci(m): 9:46am On May 04, 2016
Empiree:
How does it installed when it comes to roofing, do we still need some sort of bricks or concert to hold it?. Do you have sample of a finished Polystyrene fascia done in nigeria?
Kindly read up the thrend, we have posted procedures for installation of the polysteren facial back up with pictures from the installation to the finished work....
Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 11:32am On May 04, 2016
^ I forgot i went through this thread before. That's hell of major renovation. Eyes are hitching. We wanna see updated pix.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 3:51am On May 05, 2016
Can you please provide me with names of contact info of companies in nigeria that sell polystyrene facial. Thanks
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Juokorow(m): 1:47am On May 09, 2016
Empiree:
Can you please provide me with names of contact info of companies in nigeria that sell polystyrene facial. Thanks
Polyindustries in Abuja is one that I am talking with on my coming project. http://polyindustries.com.ng/ . I'd like to know of any other.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 2:06am On May 09, 2016
Juokorow:

Polyindustries in Abuja is one that I am talking with on my coming project. http://polyindustries.com.ng/ . I'd like to know of any other.
ok, thanks a lot. Noted
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 8:31pm On May 10, 2016
abdulwastecx:

The house was built some twenty years ago with a lot of finishes problems such as
1. uneven wall surface
2. Old and unattractive wall paints
3.The windows are not aligned
4.The head room a not adequate
5. The wall surface too smooth and cant hold any layer of plaster

In other to modernized the building, we need to remove the wall plastering for a new layer.

what type of roofing sheet used with polystyrene fascia in this house?

Besides, which of this fits better on polystyrene fascia:

Metcoppo ?
Stone coated step tiles?
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 11:01pm On May 10, 2016
abdulwastecx:

No need for columns sir. the material is extremely light weight.
We decided to use it for this structure because of its light weight and speed of installation
Do me a favor please, I am aware of polystyrene fascia being costly but very light. In reference to this property you are currently heavily renovating, how many sqt/sqm is it or how much it costs (excluding installation) to buy polystyrene alone for this house (total)?

I just want to have idea, that's all.
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 10:44am On May 12, 2016
Empiree:
Do me a favor please, I am aware of polystyrene fascia being costly but very light. In reference to this property you are currently heavily renovating, how many sqt/sqm is it or how much it costs (excluding installation) to buy polystyrene alone for this house (total)?

I just want to have idea, that's all.

We don't measure polystyrene fascia in square meters, it is measured in linear meter (perimeter). The total perimeter was 120m @ about N4,000/m = N480,000 (excluding Transportation).

The polystyrene fascia is not very costly when you compare it to in-situ cast fascia, though it may be more expensive than pre cast but not by much
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 10:46am On May 12, 2016
Empiree:
what type of roofing sheet used with polystyrene fascia in this house?

Besides, which of this fits better on polystyrene fascia:

Metcoppo ?
Stone coated step tiles?

Stone Coated tiles is better because it is more fashionable and people like it but is much expensive.

Metcoppo will also do a good job
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 10:53am On May 12, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Stone Coated tiles is better because it is more fashionable and people like it but is much expensive.

Metcoppo will also do a good job
which of the Stone Coated tiles, looks like there are two types ?. can post a picture
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 10:58am On May 12, 2016
abdulwastecx:

We don't measure polystyrene fascia in square meters, it is measured in linear meter (perimeter). The total perimeter was 120m @ about N4,000/m = N480,000 (excluding Transportation).

The polystyrene fascia is not very costly when you compare it to in-situ cast fascia, though it may be more expensive than pre cast but not by much
ok. now i wanted to use it for mine and my brother made inquiries but he was told it's not "advisable" bcus of putting them together. Doesn't that suggest they don't know how?
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 11:24am On May 12, 2016
Empiree:
ok. now i wanted to use it for mine and my brother made inquiries but he was told it's not "advisable" bcus of putting them together. Doesn't that suggest they don't know how?

Yes, they may not have the know how. Installation is not that straight forward you need people with know how to do the installation. Luckily, I have the know how
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by abdulwastecx(m): 11:26am On May 12, 2016
Empiree:
which of the Stone Coated tiles, looks like there are two types ?. can post a picture

There are different type... The choice is yours. Looks to the type we use for this building
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 2:46pm On May 12, 2016
abdulwastecx:

There are different type... The choice is yours. Looks to the type we use for this building
The "stones" don't wash off?
Re: Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House by Empiree: 2:51pm On May 12, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Yes, they may not have the know how. Installation is not that straight forward you need people with know how to do the installation. Luckily, I have the know how
Wooow, thats great. i thought as much. He later recomended aluminum parapet. Aluminum parapet, how's that from your experience ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House / My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. / When She Said She Want A Guy With A House And A Car. And He's A Civil Engineer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.