Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 (20504 Views)

Lili Gabari Dies At 86 / PPPRA Fuel To Sell At 86.50 from January1,2016 / Fuel Sold 86 Naira Per Litre In Ekiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 09, 2015
TEACHER, LABOUR ACTIVIST, REVOLUTIONARY & MARXIST SCHOLAR, PROF ESKOR TOYO IS DEAD.

Professor Eskor Toyo, the fierce revolutionary, Marxist scholar, polemicist and labour activist passed on yesterday, Monday, December 7, 2015. He was aged 86.

Born in Oron on the Cross River estuary in 1929, Eskor Toyo had his early education in Oron, Lagos and Calabar.

He passed the Cambridge School Certificate in 1945 in Grade one and was exempted from London University matriculation. He also passed the Higher School Certificate (Cambridge). He received a Diploma in Public Administration and B.Sc. in Economics from the University of London. He later obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in National Economic Planning, M.Sc. in Economics and Ph.D. in Economics in Poland. Professor Toyo’s educational career was marked with distinction. He was the first to earn a First Class in Postgraduate Diploma in National Economic Planning. He obtained his M.Sc. degree with distinction and his Ph.D. Cum Laude (with praise).

His doctoral thesis entitled “Macroeconomic Analysis in Marx and Keynes” was published in 1977 by the Polish Scientific publishers on the recommendations of the Universities in Poland. It was republished in Russian. Eskor Toyo had varied experiences in public and private sectors. For brief periods he held the positions of Planning Manager and Labour and Staff Manager in Lever Brothers (Nigeria), and Manager, Supply and Distribution for Esso West Africa. He has taught courses in sociology, economics, political science and history of ideas in Europe and Nigeria.

He also headed the Department of Economics in the University of Maiduguri and Calabar at different times. Eskor Toyo wrote copiously on economics and society in learned journals, books and other periodicals. He presented papers in large number of conferences in many countries and delivered many distinguished lectures. He was Vice President of the Nigerian Economic Society (NES), consultant on economic issues to the Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Government of Ghana. He was for nearly two decades, a National Trustee of the Academic Staff Union of University (ASUU).

Renowned academic, essayist and human rights activist, Eskor Toyo, is dead. He died at the age of 86. Family sources said the octogenarian died on Monday.

Born in Oron, Akwa Ibom State, in 1929, Mr. Toyo, a professor of Economics, was a national trustee of the Academic Staff Union of University for about two decades.

He had his early education in Oron, Lagos and later in Calabar. Late Toyo was vice president of the Nigerian Economic Society, NES, consultant on economic issues in several Nigerian agencies and the Government of Ghana.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/194858-prof-eskor-toyo-dies-at-86.html

Seun and Lalasticlala, Prof. Eskor Toyo cannot pass on and wont make front page.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by benedictnsi(m): 7:25pm On Dec 09, 2015
RIP..... MY FELLOW RATIONAL (economist)
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:28pm On Dec 09, 2015
My Lecturer!!! RIP!
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:31pm On Dec 09, 2015
First From Africa, to Obtain PhD In Econometrics..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Chubhie: 7:33pm On Dec 09, 2015
RIP. Reminds me of maxist like Dr Dipo Fashina. These were the few lecturers that had my Respect.

9 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
Source...

Amazing....econometrics (4 units) was once a feared course in undergrads (Economics).

I am sure this library would be missed. shocked

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:41pm On Dec 09, 2015
Chubhie:
RIP. Reminds me of maxist like Dr Dipo Fashina. These were the few lecturers that had my Respect.

Throughout my University days, he drove only his old Volkwagen car (beetle), no house of his own, even though he had retired then.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 09, 2015
lalasticlala and Seun, PLEASE HONOUR PROF AND PUT THIS ON FP.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:44pm On Dec 09, 2015
Keneking:
Source...

Amazing....econometrics (4 units) was once a feared course in undergrads (Economics).

I am sure this library would be missed. shocked

Yep!

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by hinwazaka: 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Throughout my University days, he drove only his old Volkwagen car (beetle), no house of his own, even though he had retired then.
I heard you are a chartered accountant. So Toyo was your lecturer. I am guessing he was your Eco 111,112,121,122 lecturer

4 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by jojomario(m): 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2015
You have played your role . No man is immortal. RIP.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 7:46pm On Dec 09, 2015
DrWise:
TEACHER, LABOUR ACTIVIST, REVOLUTIONARY & MARXIST SCHOLAR, PROF ESKOR TOYO IS DEAD.

Professor Eskor Toyo, the fierce revolutionary, Marxist scholar, polemicist and labour activist passed on yesterday, Monday, December 7, 2015. He was aged 86.

Born in Oron on the Cross River estuary in 1929, Eskor Toyo had his early education in Oron, Lagos and Calabar.

He passed the Cambridge School Certificate in 1945 in Grade one and was exempted from London University matriculation. He also passed the Higher School Certificate (Cambridge). He received a Diploma in Public Administration and B.Sc. in Economics from the University of London. He later obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in National Economic Planning, M.Sc. in Economics and Ph.D. in Economics in Poland. Professor Toyo’s educational career was marked with distinction. He was the first to earn a First Class in Postgraduate Diploma in National Economic Planning. He obtained his M.Sc. degree with distinction and his Ph.D. Cum Laude (with praise).

His doctoral thesis entitled “Macroeconomic Analysis in Marx and Keynes” was published in 1977 by the Polish Scientific publishers on the recommendations of the Universities in Poland. It was republished in Russian. Eskor Toyo had varied experiences in public and private sectors. For brief periods he held the positions of Planning Manager and Labour and Staff Manager in Lever Brothers (Nigeria), and Manager, Supply and Distribution for Esso West Africa. He has taught courses in sociology, economics, political science and history of ideas in Europe and Nigeria.

He also headed the Department of Economics in the University of Maiduguri and Calabar at different times. Eskor Toyo wrote copiously on economics and society in learned journals, books and other periodicals. He presented papers in large number of conferences in many countries and delivered many distinguished lectures. He was Vice President of the Nigerian Economic Society (NES), consultant on economic issues to the Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Government of Ghana. He was for nearly two decades, a National Trustee of the Academic Staff Union of University (ASUU).

Seun and Lalasticlala, Prof. Eskor Toyo cannot pass on and wont make front page.

Op add this as your source:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/194858-prof-eskor-toyo-dies-at-86.html

That was my lecturer back in the days in the Dept of Econs Unical.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
My Lecturer!!! RIP!

Sure.... Did you finish from Unical? Heard that Ndebbio and Bassey too are dead. Prof Ndebbio was buried last week.

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2015
cool
kahal29:

Op add this as your source:

That was lecturer back in the days in the Dept of Econs Unical.

Your lecturer? Were you a Malabite?

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
kahal29:

Sure.... Did you finish from Unical? Heard that Ndebbio and Bassey too are dead. Prof Ndebbio was buried last week.

Yea! Bassey was killed by his son over his retirement benefit. Haba Ndebbio too?? Oh...
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
cool

Your lecturer? Were you a Malabite?

Confirmed one Ooooooo

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Yea! Bassey was killed by his son over his retirement benefit. Haba Ndebbio too?? Oh...

Great Malabress....... I hail oh
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
kahal29:

Confirmed one Ooooooo

Who and who were your HODs, let me guess your set wink
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Chubhie: 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Jingo usually wore same shirt and one baggy trouser and sandals. He derives pleasures in using his salary to sponsor students while going home on empty pockets. He lived for the masses. Such men only come by once in a century. Guess we are lucky to have drank from their fountain of knowledge.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 09, 2015
Prof. N. U. Ndebbio has been buried.

I remember the days of Eskor Toyo, Ndebbio, Bassey, C.K. Graham, Ma Obafemi et al.

I remember Eskor always referring to Ndebbio as a conformist and the whole class would laugh.

Eskor treks most times from the staff quarters to the classroom, and when you pull over to pick him up, he would ask you to pick the student for him while he prefers to walk.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 8:01pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Who and who were your HODs, let me guess your set wink

Trying to member oh whether it was Ndebbio, Nyong or one Enang

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:02pm On Dec 09, 2015
DrWise:

I remember the days of Eskor Toyo, Ndebbio, Bassey, C.K. Graham, Ma Obafemi et al.

I remember Eskor always referring to Ndebbio as a conformist and the whole class would laugh.

Eskor treks most times from the staff quarters to the classroom, and when you pull over to pick him up, he would ask you to pick the student for him while he prefers to walk.

What about Dr. Nyong? Mr. Graham the Ghanian Man with his bribe thirsty hands, has he Gone back to Accra grin

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Demmocrats(m): 8:03pm On Dec 09, 2015

His qualification alone says so much about about the man.

Next my Sia Buhari haters will come over here and start blaming him for the death of the man

RIP to the great man.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:04pm On Dec 09, 2015
kahal29:

Trying to member oh whether it was Ndebbio, Nyong or one Enang

You might be my Set then...I was with Dr. Joe Eba last month. We attended one conference together In Owerri.
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by djWALE(m): 8:04pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ehyaa..death is inevitable....
No mata how u run....
Fellow nairalanders,click like to support chelsea tonite nd share to support arsenal

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 8:04pm On Dec 09, 2015
DrWise:

Yes oh...... Obafemi is now an Associate Prof. Really like the woman. You didn't include Essia the runs guy

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

What about Dr. Nyong? Mr. Graham the Ghanian Man with his bribe thirsty hands, has he Gone back to Accra grin

Yeah, I remember Nyong, Enang and Maxwell Eba.

The dark alien has gone back to Ghana with his corrupt mind.

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by yomalex(m): 8:07pm On Dec 09, 2015
Adieu!
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Elparaiso(m): 8:07pm On Dec 09, 2015
DrWise:

Evidence that this dude has been eyeing FrontPage since.

End time Frontpage
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 8:08pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

You might be my Set then...I was with Dr. Joe Eba last month. We attended one conference together In Owerri.

Wow.... That funny man. We were not very close but i Admired him from afar esp when I see him attend church at St Paul's Unical.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Ganduje Empowers Residents With Eggs, Noodles & Beverages (Photos) / Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? / Peter Odike's Son Arrested For Killing And Kidnapping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.