Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? (1409 Views)

What's Your Favourite Bible Scripture Verse? / The Gay Bible Version / Your Favourite Bible Verse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by freelance(m): 10:28am On Oct 20, 2006
I wanted to go and get myself another bible lately and there were alot of versions of the Holy Bible. Just want you guyz to share with me. Your favourite Bible version and why?
Goodspeed
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Drusilla(f): 8:19am On Oct 24, 2006
New King James Version or Modern King James Version. Are two of the best.

The NIV should be read for clarity.
The King James Version should be read for lyrical beauty.

Stay away from these bibles:

The Living bible
The Amplified
The Good News
The JPS
The Names bible

Their all just junk. Many more could be added to this list but I have forgotten them.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by elbaron(m): 12:21am On Oct 26, 2006
Huh? Those ones were not inspired of God as well? I thought all scripture was.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by jaymann: 7:13am On Oct 29, 2006
kjv, d real version
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by dominobaby(f): 2:05pm On Oct 29, 2006
Drusilla, you just might well give elaborate reasons why peeps should 'stay away' from those versions.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by jaymann: 10:58am On Oct 30, 2006
King James version is the true version, inspired by God himself. It is a tranlation from the original greek and Hebrew into English by assembl;y of scholars ordered by God through King James. The others are versions intended for clearity and many mistakes are made as they are only humans trying to maybe make some cash. Remember in the Bible, no one should add or remove, that is what is being disobeyed by creating those versions. They shouldn't be called versions of Bible, but rather religious books.
check this out: http://www.biblebelievers.com/KJV_Defended_Hills.html I have other facts about the King James version.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by lafile(m): 1:09pm On Oct 30, 2006
@Jayman
I hope u are not one of them KJO's [King James Only People]. U make it sound as if the KJV is the only authentic translation. You said It is a tranlation from the original greek and Hebrew into English by assembl;y of scholars ordered by God through King James. But other versions were also translated from the original Hebrew and Greek like the KJV and also by a body of scholars. And scholars have pointed out a few mistakes in the KJV. In fact you should realise that the KJV was revised a number of times after it was translated.

@Drusilla
Why? These versions are not bad are they? I use the NIV and AMP and i enjoy both. what are your specific reasons? The Living Bible has always been a paraphrase we all know. Thats why The New Living Translation came on board.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Drusilla(f): 3:45am On Oct 31, 2006
jaymann,

Would God inspire people to change the name of Passover to Easter?

Which is homage to Ester or Isis or Auset, a goddess of the babylonians?

How can a person possibly believe that God inspired the KJV?

It has just as many errors as the others.

The reason the KJV is such a good bible compared to others is this: It is an actual translation.

The bibles I mentioned are not translations. They actually try to tell you the meaning of the words, not translate the words into your language.

They are giving you their version of what the bible MEANT, the KJV is a real translation.

This is why it is good and in my mind the Modern and New King James Version are the best versions out there.

Their actual translations.

Where the others that I named are not literal translations.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by dominobaby(f): 4:00am On Oct 31, 2006
Drusilla, so the KJv wasn't inspired by God? That is a no no!
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Drusilla(f): 4:30am On Oct 31, 2006
dominobaby,

As bible people like to say: I believe that the original hebrew and greek documents were inspired by God.

As far as trying to claim inspiration for any particular version of the bible. Your going to run into serious problems because of even simple things like technical errors.

Or more serious issues like the passover to easter thing.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by freelance(m): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2006
Seems most people prefer KJV. wink
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 30, 2006
To any Christians and anyone interested in learning of God by the scriptures[b],do not listen to drusilla[/b]

The king James is translated from the original tongues and would be my recommendation,The new King James got rid of the thees thou and thineĀ  replacing them with you and yours as todays English is.
It is also highly recommended .

NIV,The New American standard,Revised standard,Good news and others are Bibles,they have a lotĀ  more modern English writing styles easier for anyone to understand.
You will be ministered to by all of them.

If you're a new Christian or just looking to see what the Bible is about,get the NIV or Goodnews for simpler English and make references to the the King James being that it's from the original tongues.

any BIble translation you can get read it,any translation is better than none
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by TayoD(m): 5:40pm On Nov 30, 2006
I really don't understand what you all are driving at by trying to find out if differenet Bible translations are inspired by God or not. None of the versions can claim inspiration from God in the sense of laying claim to the scripture that says "all scripture is given by the inspiration of God, " The inspiration of God is on the original writings while the translations are noble work done by men who may or may not even be Christians.

God may have led some to actually do the work of translation, but that does not mean that He inspired them as the early Writers of the scriptures were inspired by the Holy Ghost to utter the things they did.

In short, all Bible translations are mere work of scholarship, some good and some bad. And from the information I have, they most were done from the original texts. The style is just the only difference while the messages remain the same.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Aggressa(m): 6:08pm On Nov 30, 2006
Thanks Babyosisi and TayoD,
I think it just amounts to share immaturity to focus on the "process" rather than to focus correctly on the "product". Whether a Bible is translated or original script, the importance to you as an individual is not on the process of the production of the bible but on the "product" i.e. the message. The inspiration on the original bible cannot be transfered to you by simply touching it, the same as the inspirations from the translated bible. Inspiration comes only from the content of the Bible, the message of salvation which leads to the Crusifixion of Jesus Christ.
As long as a Bible is about: the promise and prophesies of Jesus Christ in the old testament; the birth, life, teachings, Crusifixion, Resurection and Ascension of Jesus Christ in the Gospels of New Testament; a further exhortation on the life, lifestyle and messages of Jesus in the Epistles of New Testament; and a promise of the coming again of Jesus Christ in the Revelations, then such a Bible regardless of version is an inspired word of God. The inspiration to you as a Believer is not "ON" the Book, it is "INside" the Book.
Having said this, I wish to add that King James Version remains my favourite Bible version.
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Pygru: 5:45am On Jul 13, 2013
Kjv
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 13, 2013
psalms.

aside from my personal prayers they give me strength when I am down.

1 Like

Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 13, 2013
KAYJAYPEE. COST ME PIPTY PIPE NAIRA *HAUSA ACCENT*
Re: Your Favourite Bible Version And Why? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 13, 2013
*Kails*:
psalms.

aside from my personal prayers they give me strength when I am down.
SMDH. VERSION NOT BOOK shocked

(1) (Reply)

Important Message For 4him From Sysuser / Don't Know Much About Evolution?: Watch Dr Kenneth Miller Make It Simple / Clearing The Air On JESUS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.