Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

Who Are The Illushi People? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Illushi People? (8738 Views)

Where Are The Illushi's? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
Illushi or Ulochi is a community situated along the River Niger. A community in Esan South East Local Government Area of Edo State. The community is majorly populated by different ethnic groups such as ; Igbos, Ijaws, Ohrobos, Isokos, Hausas Nupes, Igalas /Ibajis, Esans and Ulochi.

The people (Ulochi) speaks a language that is mixed or lets say semblance with Igbo and Igala.
Some of their names are pronounced as; Ebele, Onuchi, Ojo'ka (Ojoka) Ufedo.

The place is famously known for its market which comprises of Agricultural produce such as yams (mainly), papper, potato, fish, cassava and the rest.

There is usually a conflict between the Ulochi people and the Esans to as who owns /control the community. The community, presently is on the verge of washing off due to water slidding.

Odumchi, Fulaman198, Bigfrancis21,FirstEva, Erunz, Mogidi any knowledge about this people?

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by bigfrancis21: 1:09am On Dec 12, 2015
Interesting article @op.

Please give some examples about the language of the Illushi people showing the Igala-Igbo influence/mix.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 6:42am On Dec 12, 2015
@Bigfrancis21,they only bear name that have semblance with Igbo.

Their former King was called Ike.

Their language is mainly of Igala.

This community is divided by the River Niger. If you are coming from Lokoja through the water way, You have Oyidega, Odumomo, Odachala which divide them.

Note : The above communities are in Ibaji local government area of Kogi state, while Illushi or Ulochi is in Edo state.

Modified:

*Ike Kebordiho..Assailants after me

Royal Tears:
‘They killed my son, dismembered his corpse and threw it into river’
Royal Tears: ‘They killed my son, dismembered his corpse and threw it into river’

ON AUGUST 3, 201412:12 AM

By Simon Ebegbulem, Benin-City

Christopher Ike Kebordih is the traditional ruler of Illushi Kingdom in Esan South East Local Government Council of Edo State. Meanwhile, the traditional ruler, who is supposed to be at home with his people, has fled his community following alleged threats from the people he accused of the murder of his son last year to kill him. The incident occurred on June 13, 2013 when some armed men allegedly murdered his 37-year-old son.

The traditional ruler, crying for justice, has sent petitions to the Edo State Police Command and the AIG Zone 5, Benin-City, in which he pointed accusing fingers at some persons he alleged were involved in the killing of his son, lamenting that nothing has been done by the police to fish out the suspects. According to him, the wife of the deceased was five months pregnant when he was killed just as he alleged that his farm produce and property were destroyed by the same people that murdered his son due to his efforts to seek for justice.

He narrated his story: “On June 13, 2013, there was a misunderstanding between two political groups. On the 9th, there was a report in my palace that some ACN boys working in the market were perpetrating illegality. Some PDP boys confronted them, leading to a crisis. When the matter came to me, I told both parties that the market is for the local government, that I am only the king and I have no hand in the affairs of the market.

I advised them to meet with the local government authorities to iron out their differences rather than engaging themselves in a fight. On the 13th, after 12pm, I received a phone call from an APC leader that the PDP people had gone back to the market. I asked if the APC leader had gone to the local government chairman to confirm if what the PDP people were doing was illegal or not because they were not revenue staff of the council.

I now said I was not around and that they should go to the police and the local government chairman to sort out the problem. Within two hours, policemen came in company of the APC boys whom they allotted the market space to. They said when they reported to the police, the police went to see the leader of the PDP group and others, but when they got there they rounded the policemen up and the APC boys rescued them after a fight.

When the APC boys came with the police, I had to follow them to the Area Commander at Irrua. When we got to Irrua, we met about six DPOs because they were having a meeting and I narrated my ordeal. I told them that my place was on fire. So the Area Commander said I should wait, that after their meeting, the DPO at Ubiaja will follow me with some policemen to reduce the problem.

I went back to Ubiaja. At about 1pm, information came to me that the PDP leader and his cohorts had mobilized, shooting guns and hunting for the APC boys. I went back to the DPO’s office and I was told he had not returned from the meeting. Then I went to the local government chairman to let him know what was happening. The chairman invited the DPO and he asked them to mobilize to stop the boys. I went back to my palace”.

Narrating further, he said, “ At about 5:30pm, I received a message concerning my son. My son was not a member of the market workers, he was not a revenue collector in the market. He was to do his wife’s introduction on the 16th of June. He went to Illushin market to remind some of his friends about the event and buy a few things. When he met the restive PDP youths, he asked them why they were carrying guns, that the issue on ground was not enough to carry guns.

As he was talking, one of the boys attacked my other son accompanying his brother and shot him. My son was shocked when his brother fell. The assailant was quoted as saying it was because of my son that he mistakenly shot the brother. When people started shouting, the assailant now shot my son, who was already in pains, dead.

Dismembering body

“After the killing, the assailant and his colleagues put the corpse in a wheel barrow, took it to Odegume Road, dismembered the body with cutlass and threw the parts inside the river. When the information came to me, I ran to the DPO and local government chairman to inform them of the situation. Throughout that day, the police did not make any move, the council chairman also did not do anything. After some days, one of the PDP men was arrested at Ugboha. He narrated how they killed my son. The police recovered one locally made gun and nine live cartridges from him. He was now transferred to Benin Command. I went there and made a statement.

The police said I should bring money for logistics and mobilization, I did all, but nothing was done until I wrote to Abuja and a reply came that the police in Benin should get the people involved arrested. But nothing still was done. I wrote to the AIG Zone 5, nothing was done. I met the Edo Commissioner of Police and the Deputy Commissioner of Police, nothing was done. The case went on until a few months ago when another member of the gang was arrested by the police and they brought him to Benin and the IPO sent for me that I should bring money with which to take the suspect to Ubiaja court where they will arraign him.

I came that day, they told me the amount of money to bring, I paid the money. When I got home, at about 8am, I got a phone call that the boy had been released; that while I was with the IPO, a member of the state House of Assembly visited the Commissioner of Police. He got the suspect released. The lawmaker told me in the presence of the Area Commander that the matter was not a police case. I asked him why the police will not do their work after my son was killed. He said he will settle the matter but nothing happened.

Up till now, the suspects are still at Illushi moving freely. The boys who are my loyalists in the ACN have been driven away from Illushi, I am presently in exile at Ubiaja . They are the ones in-charge of revenue and are the custodians of the community now, all efforts I made to get them apprehended yielded no fruit because they have powerful people in the police. Even now they are planning to kill me because they said as long as I am alive I will prosecute them. So my life and that of my family are in danger.

I have petitioned different authorities to no avail. They have destroyed all I have. The farm I had before the incident was yielding about 300kg bags of rice but they burnt it. As we are talking; they are after my life. Since this thing happened, I have not been to my community; most of the elders with me, they scared them away. It is like a coup executed by the youths. All the elders have fled the community. I am appealing to Comrade Governor Adams Oshiomhole, Director of SSS in Edo State and Inspector General of Police to come to my aid and get the killers of my son arrested so that I can return to my domain”.

When contacted, the Edo State Police Commissioner, Foluso Adebanjo, told Sunday Vanguard: “I will find out who is in-charge of the case because I always treat any petition I receive and my men are aware of that. I have always said that nobody has the right to kill. So, if one has committed murder no matter how highly placed we will deal with the person legally. May be the incident happened before I came but I will find out and take action appropriately”.

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by erunz(m): 7:09am On Dec 12, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:
Illushi or Ulochi is a community situated along the River Niger. A community in Esan South East Local Government Area of Edo State. The community is majorly populated by different ethnic groups such as ; Igbos, Ijaws, Ohrobos, Isokos, Hausas Nupes, Igalas /Ibajis, Esans and Ulochi.

The people (Ulochi) speaks a language that is mixed or lets say semblance with Igbo and Igala.
Some of their names are pronounced as; Ebele, Onuchi, Ojo'ka (Ojoka) Ufedo.

The place is famously known for its market which comprises of Agricultural produce such as yams (mainly), papper, potato, fish, cassava and the rest.

There is usually a conflict between the Ulochi people and the Esans to as who owns /control the community. The community, presently is on the verge of washing off due to water slidding.

Odumchi, Fulaman198, Bigfrancis21,FirstEva, Erunz, Mogidi any knowledge about this people?

I'VE HEARD OF THEM BEFORE,
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 7:18am On Dec 12, 2015
More screen shot.

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 7:38am On Dec 12, 2015
More.

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:04am On Dec 12, 2015

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:09am On Dec 12, 2015
@Bigfrancis21, here are screen shots.

You can see the names.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by bigfrancis21: 8:16am On Dec 12, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:
@Bigfrancis21, here are screen shots.

You can see the names.

Thaank you for your response. From what I've read so far I can glean that the people are Ibaji-Igala speaking people but find themselves located in Edo state (Esan south), probably along the Edo-Kogi state border.

Some of the names in the article were Igbo sounding such as 'Ike', 'Igwe', 'Ogwa', 'Ikerdordih' etc. The article also made mention of a word 'ugbuagu' as 'killers' which may be a dialectical variant of 'ogbuagu' in Igbo meaning 'killer of a tiger', basically someone who is very strong enough to kill a tiger.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:21am On Dec 12, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thaank you for your response. From what I've read so far I can glean that the people are Ibaji-Igala speaking people but find themselves located in Edo state (Esan south), probably along the Edo-Kogi state border.

Some of the names in the article were Igbo sounding such as 'Ike', 'Igwe', 'Ogwa', 'Ikerdordih' etc. The article also made mention of a word 'ugbuagu' as 'killers' which may be a dialectical variant of 'ogbuagu' in Igbo meaning 'killer of a tiger', basically someone who is very strong enough to kill a tiger.

Can we say that they are Igbos or Igalas?
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Mogidi: 9:32pm On Dec 12, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:
@Bigfrancis21,they only bear name that have semblance with Igbo.

Their former King was called Ike.

[size=13pt]Their language is mainly of Igala. [/size]

This community is divided by the River Niger. If you are coming from Lokoja through the water way, You have Oyidega, Odumomo, Odachala which divide them.

Note : The above communities are in Ibaji local government area of Kogi state, while Illushi or Ulochi is in Edo state.

You are right when you said they speak mainly Igala, they're 100% Igala people who historically stayed in settlements and creeks around Illushi. With the advent of development and urbanisation they left their creeks and moved on to the mainland.
They're 100% Igala and the Igbo community there are migrants.

The Esan name for Illushi is "Ozigono"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Mogidi: 9:35pm On Dec 12, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

The Igbo community in Illushi are migrants.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by bigfrancis21: 12:33am On Dec 13, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

I would say they are Ibaji Igalas and Ibaji Igalas have some Igbo influence on them as can be seen from bits of their language. Core Igalas often refer to Ibaji Igalas as Igbos because it is said they hardly understand the Ibaji dialect and the dialect itself is peppered with Igbo influences.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 13, 2015
So there is an Olochi in Kogi, an Illushi (Ulochi) in Edo, and an Olosi in Anambra, all of which either speak Igala or have traditions of Igala origins.

Interesting.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 14, 2015
I hear about them but I don't really know much.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by bigfrancis21: 2:15pm On Dec 14, 2015
Radoillo:
So there is an Olochi in Kogi, an Illushi (Ulochi) in Edo, and an Olosi in Anambra, all of which either speak Igala or have traditions of Igala origins.

Interesting.

By olosi you're referring to Ogboli Olosi in Onitsha?
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 14, 2015
bigfrancis21:

By olosi you're referring to Ogboli Olosi in Onitsha?

Perhaps. The terminology used for the divisions of Onitsha can be a bit confusing.

It looks like "Ogboli-Olosi" refers to an amalgamation of two groups Ogboli and Olosi. At least this is what this academic seems to be implying in the table in the book below, where he says that Ogboli and Olosi are administrative ebo (villages) under the administration of the Ajie:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OEkFKm9lNioC&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=Igala+Olosi+onitsha&source=bl&ots=vJMoYbWTpj&sig=6xtVVlWBtgw6UuDz8jWoXqc34MY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQkvy6w9vJAhUCxxoKHYGMCW0Q6AEIHjAG#v=onepage&q=Igala Olosi onitsha&f=false

Whatever be the case, Onitsha traditions claim Olosi is patrineally of Igala descent. Other traditions specifically say they are the offspring of Ajida Ogbe. What I cannot say for certain is whether 'Olosi' and 'Ogboli-Olosi' mean exactly the same thing, or whether Olosi is just a sub village of a larger Ogboli-Olosi.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 6:37pm On Dec 14, 2015
Mogidi:

The Igbo community in Illushi are migrants.

Looking at names like Ike, Ikerbordin, Oriche, Ogwah and Ugbuagu, what do you say about this?
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by bigfrancis21: 7:13pm On Dec 15, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

Looking at names like Ike, Ikerbordin, Oriche, Ogwah and Ugbuagu, what do you say about this?

Is there a possibility that the Ibaji people may have been an Igbo group who later became Igala speaking but during the process of Igalanization developed a unique dialect of theirs that is not entirely Igala, yet not like Igbo but somewhat sandwiched between these 2 languages?

You also forgot to include 'igwe' in the names.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 5:38pm On Sep 28, 2016
Cc: Remiiko, your attention is needed here.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 28, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:
Cc: Remiiko, your attention is needed here.
sir am so happy to find out that my tribe n village is been discussed here.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 7:31pm On Sep 28, 2016
It's a pleasure meeting someone here (Nairaland) who is from Illushi.

Please can you give more light on the title of this thread (who are the Illushi people)? I know there is a chieftaincy dispute between the Esans and the Uloshi people. I happen to witness one of the riot when I was young.

remiiko:
sir am so happy to find out that my tribe n village is been discussed here.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 28, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:
It's a pleasure meeting someone here (Nairaland) who is from Illushi.

Please can you give more light on the title of this thread (who are the Illushi people)? I know there is a chieftaincy dispute between the Esans and the Uloshi people. I happen to witness one of the riot when I was young.

sir...though I am an indigene n was born n brought up at illushi i only av a dinky info dou...so lemme share d little I av.
the illushi people are in two different location(illushi and uloshi) their main occupation is farming crops like yam,cassava, maize and weed(cannabis). according to legends n folklore the uloshi's parted ways with the ibaji.to be continued my hands on sometime.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by bigfrancis21: 1:48am On Sep 29, 2016
remiiko:
sir...though I am an indigene n was born n brought up at illushi i only av a dinky info dou...so lemme share d little I av.
the illushi people are in two different location(illushi and uloshi) their main occupation is farming crops like yam,cassava, maize and weed(cannabis). according to legends n folklore the uloshi's parted ways with the ibaji.to be continued my hands on sometime.

Thank you for this. Please can you tell us more about the language?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 1:05pm On Oct 10, 2016
Igboid, ugomba and others, your contribution is needed here.

Cc: Remiiko.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Igboid: 1:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
They are Igala people.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by jayrule(m): 8:00pm On Oct 10, 2016
Interesting topic
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by martha89: 8:22pm On Oct 10, 2016
Igboid:
They are Igala people.
See this mumu then what are they doing in Esan land,igala my foot. Illushi is in Esan south East, Esan name for it is ozogono.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by martha89: 8:27pm On Oct 10, 2016
Igala can go back to kogi,where the land is in Esan so how can igala claim it? Everybody want to talk just to make their tribe feel too important.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by martha89: 8:29pm On Oct 10, 2016
They are not even that many there,Ubiaja people (Esan) are more there and its in their land.
Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by Igboid: 9:12pm On Oct 10, 2016
martha89:
See this mumu then what are they doing in Esan land,igala my foot. Illushi is in Esan south East, Esan name for it is ozogono.

They didn't migrate to Esanland, their land was carved into Esan LGA.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Illushi People? by martha89: 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
Igboid:

They didn't migrate to Esanland, their land was carved into Esan LGA.
. Igbo thief always trying to claim what doesn't belong to them. Liar Esanland has no border with igala,they migrate there and they can go back to kogi. Please go fight your Biafra and leave ua alone

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Famous Benin, Idah War / Promote Nigeria: Translate Hausa & Yoruba for Google / Ramadan Mubarak Wishes And Messages 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.