Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,485 members, 7,801,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong (16730 Views)

Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig / The Palace Of Ado Ibrahim Attah, Ohinoyi Of Ebira Land (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 12, 2015
My friend speaks fluent ebira and igbo and I hear some elements of igbo each time he speaks his language, is there any connection with igbo? Ebiras in the house, help me understand this phenomenon
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 12, 2015
willow0801:
My friend speaks fluent ebira and igbo and I hear some elements of igbo each time he speaks his language, is there any connection with igbo? Ebiras in the house, help me understand this phenomenon
part of Kogi, Benue and Edo still have Igbo in them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 12, 2015
Sorry Igbos have their cups full and is not interested in fighting your battle for you. OK

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 12, 2015
victorels:

part of Kogi, Benue and Edo still have Igbo in them.

Brother I know but how come ebira has igbo elements in it, are they closer culturally to the igbos than other ethnic groups?
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 12, 2015
Riensi:
Sorry Igbos have their cups full and is not interested in fighting your battle for you. OK

I'm igbo, by the way what do you mean?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 10:02am On Dec 12, 2015
willow0801:

Brother I know but how come ebira has igbo elements in it, are they closer culturally to the igbos than other ethnic groups?

Apart from the fulanis that migrated from somewhere into Nigeria, Every ethic group in Nigeria was one before civilization. Environment and challenges changed everything.

I do not know any ebira person to quiz but we are all connected.

3 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Realisticman: 10:04am On Dec 12, 2015
Geographical closeness, mode of dressing, physical appearance and many more. The major differences is religion. The Ebiras tends to tilt towards the Hausa's because of religion. The Igbo's in Ebiraland have also become 'Ebiras' in disguise.
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 12, 2015
victorels:

Apart from the fulanis that migrated from somewhere into Nigeria, Every ethic group in Nigeria was one before civilization. Environment and challenges changed everything.

You are correct but ebiras in the house, abeg make una quench my curiosity na
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 12, 2015
Realisticman:
Geographical closeness, mode of dressing, physical appearance and many more. The major differences is religion. The Ebiras tends to tilt towards the Hausa's because of religion. The Igbo's in Ebiraland have also become 'Ebiras' in disguise.

So you are saying ebiras are mostly muslims? Hmmm I didn't know brother
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Chilug(m): 10:11am On Dec 12, 2015
No link at all. Two extremes

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by vedaxcool(m): 10:12am On Dec 12, 2015
Welll don't know about that, maybe if you could state words you heard in Ebira that seemed similar to igbo then we could assess. Ebira were part of the qwarafa kingdom till they migrated outwards some settling in nasarawa, abaji, plateau, benue, kogi, edo etc. The qwarafa kingdom was somewhere in taraba (not to sure about that) so culturally it may be far fetch to think there is elements of igbo in Ebira but though it is possible as when tribe interact there is a tendency to borrow words from each other. Like banana in ebira is the same word in Yoruba.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 12, 2015
vedaxcool:
Welll don't know about that, maybe if you could state words you heard in Ebira that seemed similar to igbo then we could assess. Ebira were part of the qwarafa kingdom till they migrated outwards some settling in nasarawa, abaji, plateau, benue, kogi, edo etc. The qwarafa kingdom was somewhere in taraba (not to sure about that) so culturally it may be far fetch to think there is elements of igbo in Ebira but though it is possible as when tribe interact there is a tendency to borrow words from each other. Like banana in ebira is the same word in Yoruba.

You finally quenched my curiosity, Thanks... more elbows to your grease cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by hamzasaidu975: 10:42am On Dec 12, 2015
If you talks about Ebira the majority elements was extracted from Hausa language due to religion that combine the two citizenship

1 Like

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by vedaxcool(m): 11:00am On Dec 12, 2015
willow0801:

You finally quenched my curiosity, Thanks... more elbows to your grease cheesy

Pleasure.

1 Like

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Realisticman: 11:18am On Dec 12, 2015
willow0801:

So you are saying ebiras are mostly muslims? Hmmm I didn't know brother
If not above 80%!
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by dustmalik: 11:19am On Dec 12, 2015
vedaxcool:
I'm Ebira, from Okene, and you are very correct.

4 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 12, 2015
Ebira and all ethnic groups in southern Nigeria and north central belong to the kwa subgroup of the Niger-congo language stock. That is to say, they all have ones been togather in time past before migration and other factors place all ethnic where they are today.
There are certain yoruba words that sound the same with igbira word but have opposite meaning.
I have some igbira Friends whose middle names sound more igboish than igbira, but mean different thing entirely. Eg Onyeneku.

4 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by cheruv: 12:00pm On Dec 12, 2015
victorels:

One from where
Biko kwusi itu asi ebe a! angry

2 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Ezemust: 12:49pm On Dec 12, 2015
when I entered okene I thought I was in Igbo land. majority of them are fair skinned just like the IGBOS

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by idu1(m): 1:04pm On Dec 12, 2015
willow0801:
we have no link with igbos. You can take your hypothesis to other tribe....

10 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Chilug(m): 1:05pm On Dec 12, 2015
Ezemust:
when I entered okene I thought I was in Igbo land. majority of them are fair skinned just like the IGBOS
True! Stay in Okene 1 month and watch your skin colour change naturally. But ebira girls love tuning cream like their life depend on it. Especially hot movate or something

2 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by softvio(m): 1:08pm On Dec 12, 2015
Cc : Danbrowndmf please, come tell us things you know about your tribe...thanx
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Ezemust: 1:13pm On Dec 12, 2015
Chilug:

True! Stay in Okene 1 month and watch your skin colour change naturally. But ebira girls love tuning cream like their life depend on it. Especially hot movate or something
but I still believed they are naturally fair skinned
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by danbrowndmf(m): 1:20pm On Dec 12, 2015
willow0801:

ebira is a language inside kogi sate which is spoken by the 'OKENE' people. The last time i was reading some fact about kogi state..i saw that kogi state is the only state who share boundry with up 8states or so & most of these states are igbo states including; anambra,enugu e.t.c (i don 4get jare.cheesy) so inside kogi you can find people who speak 'Yoruba,hausa & a bit of igbo' That is why they are middle belt.cheesy (we dy confuse sef we know know where we dy.cheesy)

cc softvio

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by danbrowndmf(m): 1:25pm On Dec 12, 2015
Ezemust:
go to my local government or igala u go see black people with tribal mark wey resemble electrical wire.cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by cybertyrant(m): 1:37pm On Dec 12, 2015
my brother there miggt be be a connection but it must be from igala,since they are our cousins,they might intermarriage or mix but no real connection,igbos already have enough cousins, e.g if am igbo and my cousin is igala,if igala mixes with ebira that dosent mean ebira is part of the family tree. If this is because of biafra,better get it out of ur mind,u should have it in mind that ebira is 70% related to yoruba. U dnt knw how reluctant we are to allow musilm majority tribe into biafra talkless of extra. So u are tellin me that the lagos local govemt called ejigbo is related,ha i laugh in swahili, Am sorry our cup is already overflowing,if u say ebira is related to igala then i might concur
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 12, 2015
idu1:
we have no link with igbos. You can take your hypothesis to other tribe....

It was only a question brother. mind you, you are inconsequential to me and the igbos at large.

Sorry to my ebira brothers, I only had to reply this bigot

6 Likes

Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 12, 2015
cybertyrant:
my brother there miggt be be a connection but it must be from igala,since they are our cousins,they might intermarriage or mix but no real connection,igbos already have enough cousins, e.g if am igbo and my cousin is igala,if igala mixes with ebira that dosent mean ebira is part of the family tree. If this is because of biafra,better get it out of ur mind,u should have it in mind that ebira is 70% related to yoruba. U dnt knw how reluctant we are to allow musilm majority tribe into biafra talkless of extra. So u are tellin me that the lagos local govemt called ejigbo is related,ha i laugh in swahili, Am sorry our cup is already overflowing,if u say ebira is related to igala then i might concur

Not at all brother, I was only curious, remember we learn everyday.
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by vedaxcool(m): 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2015
dustmalik:

I'm Ebira, from Okene, and you are very correct.

Same here. Ta o
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by idu1(m): 2:24pm On Dec 12, 2015
willow0801:

It was only a question brother. mind you, you are inconsequential to me and the igbos at large.

Sorry to my ebira brothers, I only had to reply this bigot
gerrarahere jor!!!
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by Ezemust: 3:05pm On Dec 12, 2015
danbrowndmf:
go to my local government or igala u go see black people with tribal mark wey resemble electrical wire.cheesy
we are talking of ebira not Igala
Re: Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong by danbrowndmf(m): 3:31pm On Dec 12, 2015
Ezemust:
we are talking of ebira not Igala
am from ebira na...i still think we have many dark skin pple than light skin..depend on the area u went though...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Lamido Joins MTN Board / Oba Gbadewolu Ogedengbe Fagbohun Is Dead: Father Of LASU VC Dies / The Great Yorubas, People Of A Unique And Vast Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.