Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer (2322 Views)

Are You A Developer, Designer Or Tech Enthusiast In Kaduna? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by kambo(m): 2:15pm On Oct 20, 2006
a web designer cant hold a candle up to a core developers who's
works on higher levels of complexity , than slapping html with graphics and uploading it
up to some server somewhere for viewing,
but try telling that to the guy who's gonna design ur website for u.
the job (site design) - a day's job.
the price/cost - a years wage, ( on the conservative side. using higher paid civil servant salaries )
so i gat wondering:
who earns more , the script kiddies or the application developers(in naija)
Re: Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by smartsoft(m): 5:21pm On Oct 23, 2006
from experience man, i would say web designer earn more than the core developers,  a man i know very well design a website for N300k. in a week he earn himself N600k because he get that jobs 2wice a week thats what i he told me but what baffles me is that the website he does cannot be compare with prefessional designers out there what i mean is that he design website like someone who started designing website for the first time . see you can earn as 1million naira in 2weeks or a month if you really know your way out.

Can you beat that and is client feel on top of the world
Re: Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by alexis(m): 5:31pm On Oct 26, 2006
It all depends - I know flash designers that earn thousands of dollars and I know programmers that make even more, so it all depends.
Re: Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by candylips(m): 2:30pm On Oct 29, 2006
yes it depends
Re: Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by richness(m): 4:05pm On Nov 01, 2006
nigeria government portal cost 40 million naira so it shows how much a web designer can earn. but i believe if application developer can really market their product, they can earn more on the long run
Re: Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by alexis(m): 6:27pm On Nov 01, 2006
Nigerian government portal is run by a web framework and it is application developers that built it, not web designers. Besides, both web designers and developers work hand in hand.

FYI - That 40 million naira didn't go into straight into the designers or developers pocket, beleive you me, some big guys there had their own part, a big part for that matter.

Let me give you an example, the Public Procurement Board of Ghana www.ppbghana.org cost over $100,000 to develop, in my opinion, it's a crappy site. It went down 3 days after launch because it used a MS-Access database that couldn't handle more than 20 concurrent users. All I am saying is that, the big guys that award these contracts, take huge sums from the government, pocket over 80% and pay the developers something small.

NB: www.ppbghana.org was hacked a few days later
Re: Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by my2cents(m): 11:25pm On Nov 04, 2006
kambo, kambo:

on this forum: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-27972.0.html#msg688570 , you refer to the web designer/developer as "code monkeys", here you refer to them as "script kiddies". Can you at least hv the balls to b consistent? grin

I would like to see your research when it comes to the "developed countries" where this view is taken.

Granted, I am not in naija, I will stand up for my brothers/sisters worldwide tongue

To add to what I have said at the link abv, I will say it all depends on how good your game (no, I am not referring to toastin girls kiss) is. Same applies to an A student and a D student interviewing for a job. The latter could sweet talk himself into a multi-million dollar contract while the former tries to wow/bore his potential employers with his knowledge and lingo.

Granted we may b "code monkeys" and "script kiddies", we are highly sought after. If not, how can you explain the fact that the web just registered its 100millionth website (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-29472.0.html)?

I will rest my fingers for now.

As always, my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by kambo(m): 12:40pm On Nov 14, 2006
@my2cents
 how many nigerian website u pull ur to stare at , hence linger longer at it,
isnt easthetic major factor in web design, ur a web designer , u tell me?
yet with all the teeming hordes of acclaimed guru's in the field(talking naija here)
 i can still tell  a third world country site on the net , cuz it looks mispercieved,
like something a kindergaten kid did to kill boredom,
if the naija expressions on the web celebrate overprice mediocrity,
i wondering what  happening to the guys who wanna ply the harder craft,
core software development.
     aint calling nobody a rat,[script kiddy, code monkey etc] but u gat giv mediocrity
a name.
heck! doctors call the fake archetypes quacks, does that mean every doctor is a quack?
Re: Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer by my2cents(m): 4:06pm On Nov 14, 2006
heck! doctors call the fake archetypes quacks, does that mean every doctor is a quack?

Kambo, with the above quote, I am happy to see that you have backtracked on your generalization. Ur statement reminds me of that person long time ago (sorry I forget the name, but if you google it, I am sure you will find out wink) who came up with a problem of induction that states thus, "how many white swans must one observe b4 one comes to the conclusion that all swans are white?"

Be careful about generalization. Your opening remarks up top smelled of it hence my defense of my brothers-in-arms, as horrible as some (note, I said "some" and not all cool) sites may seem.

No shakes my man. Just as there are bad web designers/developers, there are also (dare I say it? wink) bad app developers - those who write procedural code with a OO language, those who don't unit test, those who don't use appropriate error-handling, to mention but a few grin

(1) (Reply)

Java Cafe / Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure / Free Udemy Courses 100% Free [coupon Codes Applied]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.