Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,927 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People (28556 Views)

Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 13, 2015
As part of my agenda in exposing the culture of my people(Ilaje , Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijo e.tc) to the world, today we will be discussing about The Umale festival of the Itsekiri and Ilaje people. Its no longer news that the Ilaje share so many things with The Itsekiri nation, Be it language, Culture, Monarchy e.tc as such I do classify The Ilaje as an Itsekiri Offspring (Disputable) grin .. Here we go..

Umale Okere - Itsekiri

People living in the ancient town of Warri often looked with nostalgia to the season of Awankere, also called Umale Okere, an annual masquerade festival with epicentre of the celebration at Okere main square. It’s a mix of culture, tradition, dancing and humour. Umale Okere is virtually the most popular Itsekiri festival in Warri with so much social fun and excitement, attracting indigenes and non-indigenes alike beyond ethnic divide. Visitors and residents of Warri, including eminent personalities from all walks of life converge at Okere to watch the festival.

People – young and old, including children, line up on both sides of the expansive Okere Road from Esisi junction to the centre point, a massive crowd, jostling curiously to catch a glimpse of the masquerades, men and women dancing to the traditional drum beats with amidst sexy, obscene remarks by women and tantalizing songs, emotional and romantic.

The elegance and beauty of the festival, graced by the masquerades in attires almost akin to the costume and apparels worn by Eyo masquerades in Lagos during Adamorisha festival are amazing.

The origin of Umale Okere festival dates back to pre- independence years in the era of British colonialism. It emanated from Ekpen family, owners of Okere that married a woman called Diden who hailed from the neighbouring Ekurede, the place where the palace of the Olu of Warri is located. An Ekurede woman married to Ekpen family of Okere. The masquerades are customary acknowledgement of the marital ties between the two.

The leader of the masquerades is called Öshogwa Umale”with several bodyguards while the others filed out in a single line for seven market days of Okere till the last day. At the rear of the masquerades is “Okwooye”, wearing a big hat and holding a whip, dressed in baggy attire touching the ground due to oversize.

The mother of them all, referred to as Queen, is called “Eleghe”, very gentle, majestic and moves in measured steps, walking on red carpet. It is rarely seen in public – once in 50 years. Many people see Eleghe only once in their life time. Its public appearance is now reduced to 25 years.

According to Erikowa who lived in Ekurede, since 1956, Eleghe came out twice. For the masquerades, after their appearance on the seventh market day, they go back to the shrine known as “Ekun”, opening their faces on the way.

Women come out to seek their blessings and favour for children, to strike out failures and curses from their lives, to seek success in life. On the last day also, everyone comes to appeal to the Umales as they return to the shrine to cast away their misfortunes and problems, bring prosperity, give them long life, take away sickness, troubles and not to have afflictions in life again.

[img]http://cdn2.vanguardngr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/300x200xAwankere-300x200.gif.pagespeed.ic.LrENFf2Uzo.webp[/img]

[img]http://cdn1.vanguardngr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/300x200xAwankere1-300x200.gif.pagespeed.ic.Sk8uOoS2Dd.webp[/img]

Umale Festival - Ilaje People

UMALE Aju is the anscestral masked dancer of the Jomoyetoyo royal family of [ Odojomo, Igbotako, Osooro] Ilaje, Ondo State in Nigeria. The dancers represent anscestral spirit, the costumes are carved headress in the shape of water fowls or masks with colorfull fabrics covering the body.

They dance to choreographed drum rhythms and dance steps. The festival is usually celebrated around Christmas time every 7 years. Many members of the family return home to celebrate the ways of our anscestors.

Credits: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/awankere-unifying-carnival-for-warri-people/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Nobody: 12:50am On Dec 13, 2015
The above post is subject to modification.. Cc : Scholes0, freemanan , Fratermathy , onuwaje , tonyebarcanista e.tc
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by macof(m): 2:17am On Dec 13, 2015
Well, it would be a complete error to describe Ilaje as Offsprings of itsekiri. .
The other way round is more like it

The Eyo attire is of Ijebu influence. ..see how it bares resemblance with the itsekiri Masquerades above, evidence of Ijebu influence in itsekiri culture

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 13, 2015
macof:
Well, it would be a complete error to describe Ilaje as Offsprings of itsekiri. .
The other way round is more like it

The Eyo attire is of Ijebu influence. ..see how it bares resemblance with the itsekiri Masquerades above, evidence of Ijebu influence in itsekiri culture

that y I said disputable brov .. thanks for ur contribution. api Sunday..seun , lalasticlalala
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 13, 2015
Seun y is it that anything that has to do with minorities does nt hit FP ?.. Is this thread not okay enough ?.. Sorry for questioning you.. also here is another thread about Us => https://www.nairaland.com/2798934/new-olu-warri-ogiame-ikenwoli which is supposed to be on FP but no..

Seun , Lalasticlala, Pls help us out..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 14, 2015
Seun , lalasticlala .. help us LA... abeg
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Orlaoluwayimika(m): 11:47am On Dec 14, 2015
Space 4 sale
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Atom57(m): 11:49am On Dec 14, 2015
Do u want to read the latest news,breaking
news,celeb gist,gossips,tech news, world news
and many more visit http://
adeatom..com It is always updated
and up to date every minute come and check
regularly
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by SeXistBaStaRd(m): 11:50am On Dec 14, 2015
If that's your way of selling your.culture with shabby articles and low quality pictures then we are far from Impressed...In the meantime, HOLD THIS L NIGGA undecided

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by seunny4lif(m): 11:50am On Dec 14, 2015
What's the different between Ikale and Ilaje people undecided

1 Like

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 14, 2015

NOT4SALE cry.

NOT4SALE

Na only me get Nairaland ; fvck the mods, fvck everyone eyeing this plot of land.
Even Dasuki's loot can't buy you this.
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Abbeyme: 11:52am On Dec 14, 2015
Hmmm
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by b0y(m): 11:52am On Dec 14, 2015
All i see are men dressed in pillow cases and raffia socks.

Whats entertaining about these lot

3 Likes

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Sasuwa(f): 11:55am On Dec 14, 2015
The most beaviful festiv in naija, nice

1 Like

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Djicemob: 11:56am On Dec 14, 2015
Nice one goodboiyy

1 Like

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by OCTAVO: 11:59am On Dec 14, 2015
Ok
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by martineverest(m): 12:01pm On Dec 14, 2015
Great ppl,great tribe...@ april4th

1 Like

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Gr8amechi: 12:04pm On Dec 14, 2015
Lllll
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Bambless1(m): 12:05pm On Dec 14, 2015
Seen
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by oluamid(m): 12:13pm On Dec 14, 2015
okay for the present.
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Amustical(m): 12:15pm On Dec 14, 2015
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by xender(m): 12:20pm On Dec 14, 2015
space booked
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by dammymighty(m): 12:27pm On Dec 14, 2015
Ma mum said umale(ilaje/ikale) is very wicked. She said It once killed 18people in a household within a 24hrs after a woman(member of the household) whose money was stolen cast spell on thieve nd those that spent d money wit him/her at the umale shrine. Whereas it was her stepson dat stole the money. When umale started kiln them, even the woman was nt spared
Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Sydney22: 12:35pm On Dec 14, 2015
Your people ? Ilaje,Itsekiri , urhorbo and ijaw?

They are your people ? Are u now claiming that ijaw is also a yoruboid group?

Goodboiyy be very careful and stop been mischievous ... Those four group are distinct/different tribes ... They got nothing in common...

Ijos, urhorbo are not ur people pls
U're Itsekiri

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 14, 2015
Sydney22:
Your people ? Ilaje,Itsekiri , urhorbo and ijaw?

They are your people ? Are u now claiming that ijaw is also a yoruboid group?

Goodboiyy be very careful and stop been mischievous ... Those four group are distinct/different tribes ... They got nothing in common...

Ijos, urhorbo are not ur people pls
U're Itsekiri

Why una they behave like this na ?.. Wen did I say Ijaw is Yoruboid ?.. Av I not been promoting the unity Of those said tribe ? , Is anything wrong calling Ijaw or ilaje my people ?.. need i remind you that my mom is Urhobo ?.. Wat do you mean that urhobo re nt my people.. wat do you know about me ?.. all my thread are just centered on Those tribe, wat does that mean to you?

Wenti they pain me pass be say you re not from any of the said tribe. trying to Cous confusion..

6 Likes

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Sydney22: 12:55pm On Dec 14, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Why una they behave like this na ?.. Wen did I say Ijaw is Yoruboid ?.. Av I not been promoting the unity Of those said tribe ? , Is anything wrong calling Ijaw or ilaje my people ?.. need i remind you that my mom is Urhobo ?.. Wat do you mean that urhobo re nt my people.. wat do you know about me ?.. all my thread are just centered on Those tribe, wat does that mean to you?

Re: The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 14, 2015
b0y:
All i see are men dressed in pillow cases and raffia socks.

Whats entertaining about these lot

must u comment..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land / topic closed / Chanel Chin, Oluwo Of Iwo's Wife Birthday: Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi Hails Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.