Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday (28746 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Visits Ogiame Ikenwoli, The Olu Of Warri / Ikenwoli Godfrey-Emiko Is New Olu Of Warri / Ogiame Atuwatse, Olu Of Warri Dies After 28 Years On The Throne (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by fratermathy(m): 12:51pm On Dec 13, 2015

The newly crowned Olu of Warri, His Majesty, Ogiame Ikenwoli Emiko 1, has assured people of Warri Kingdom and Itsekiri neighbours that he will ensure a peaceful reign as well as provide enabling environment for economic and social life to thrive in Warri Kingdom.
The new Warri Monarch who gave the assurance shortly after he was crowned as the 20th Olu of Warri, Saturday December 12, 2015 at Ode-Itsekiri, the ancestral home of Itsekiri people, thanked Delta State Governor, Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa for his leadership and enjoined him to do more in terms of job creation as well as positive youth engagement.
Secretary to Government of The Federation, SGF, Babachir David Lawal who represented President Muhammadu Buhari, noted that no Itsekiri son or daughter has been found culpable in the ongoing corruption cases in the country and commended Itsekiri people for peacefully choosing their Monarch.
He called on the Warri Monarch to partner the Federal Government in the quest to tackle unemployment in the country.
Delta State Governor, Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa in a remark stated that the manner the new Olu of Warri was chosen “speaks volume of the unity of Itsekiri Nation”.
Dr. Okowa promised to work closely with the traditional institutions with a view to developing the grassroots in Delta State.
The newly crowned Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, who made his first official outing by gracing the coronation of the new Olu of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli 1, spoke of the historical ties between the Itsekiri Nation and their Ife brothers and expressed optimism that the relationship will continue.
Speaking earlier, Chairman of Warri Advisory Council and Warri Council of Chiefs, Chief Tesigiweno Yahaya Pessu explained that Itsekiris were determined to succeed during their trying period hence the grandeur that greeted the colourful coronation of their new king.
Our Senior Correspondent reports that there were goodwill messages from prominent traditional rulers such as the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Emeka Achebe, The Orodje of Okpe and The Ovie of Agbon Kingdom, Ukori 1.
The colourful ceremony climaxed with the wearing of the exalted crown on the new Olu in line with the Itsekiri tradition by the Head (Olare-Aja) of Jakpa, Pa. Higson Jofotan Oporokun, who is from the respected Ologbotsere family of Warri Kingdom.
The array of eminent personalities who graced the historic event include All Progressives Congress, APC, National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, the member representing Delta South Senatorial District at the National Assembly, Senator James Manager, the member representing Isoko Federal Constituency at the House of Representatives, Hon. Leo Ogor, Delta State Deputy Governor, Barr. Kingsley Otuaro, immediate past Governor of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, representative of Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, Senator Abdullahi Girel, The Pere of Ogulagha Kingdom, Capt. Joseph Timiyan, Obi of Owa Kingdom, Dr. Efeizomor, The Ovie of Uvwie, Abe 1, Ovie of Okpe –Isoko, Ekpolo II, The Obong of Calabar, representative of The Oba of Benin as well as prominent Itsekiri Chiefs, politicians and technocrats.

From Left: Dr. Emmanuel Eweta Uduaghan, Delta State Governor, Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa, Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, APC National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, President of Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Mr. Amaju Melvin Pinnick (right) & others during the coronation of His Majesty, Ogiame Ikenwoli Emiko 1, The Olu of Warri at Ode-Itsekiri, Warri south Local Government Area of Delta State

Fresh Angle International can also report that prior to the coronation of the new Olu of Warri, Ode-Itsekiri in Warri South Local Government Area of Delta State, which is the traditional headquarters of Itsekiri Nation experienced massive infrastructural projects and aesthetics.Our Correspondent who visited the ancient town otherwise known as Big Warri, where colourful traditional dances took place as part of the funeral rites of the transited 19th Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse II, report that ultra modern buildings were springing up and intra city roads of reasonable quality which were recently constructed now links different quarters as well as streets in the Itsekiri ancestral home.

Entrance of the reconstructed Olu of Warri Palace in Ode-Itsekiri

One of the newly constructed roads at Ode-Itsekiri

It would be recalled that Ode-Itsekiri suffered severe attacks and destruction in the hands of Ijaws during the Infamous Warri Crisis.

A new Royal Jetty leading to the reconstructed Olu of Warri Palace at Ode-Itsekiri painted with red and white is a new edifice to behold, while the road that leads to the Palace has been reconstructed.

There is also a brand new Information Centre, Market as well as new ultra modern residential homes built by prominent Itsekiri Chiefs, Political and Community leaders.

Some Itsekiris who bare their mind in a chat with Fresh Angle International expressed joy at the infrastructural development in their ancestral home and described it as a sign of a new dawn in Warri Kingdom.

They enjoined Itsekiri traditional and political leaders to ensure that the current state of development at Ode-Itsekiri is sustained.

Meanwhile, barely a week to the coronation of the new Warri Monarch, Special Assistant to Delta State Governor, Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa on Non-Indigenes Affairs, Nze Francis Onuora promised that Igbos would honour Itsekiri Nation during the coronation ceremony.

Nze Onuora made the declaration during a maiden meeting held with selected representatives of various Igbo groups in Delta State, particularly in Delta South and Central Senatorial districts at Government House Annex in Warri.

L-R: Wilson Egbudu, Osy Nwandu, Nze Francis Onuora, Amaechi Ogbonna & others

The Governor’s aide lauded what he described as the good leadership qualities of Dr. Okowa, especially in terms of appointments into the Delta State cabinet and urged the Ndigbo Political Forum to always unite in order to attract more good things from the Delta State government.

A woman Leader of Ohaneze Ndigbo in Delta South and Central districts, Dr. Ann Nwandu used the opportunity to appreciate the Delta State Governor, Dr. Okowa for appointing Nze Francis Onuora as the Special Assistant on Non-Indigenes Affairs.

Other members of the Ndigbo Political Forum who spoke lauded Governor Okowa and Nze Francis Onuora for carrying everyone along in the development of Delta State, especially the governor’s SMART agenda.

In a remark, Mr. Amaechi Ogbonna expressed believe in one Igbo Nation and urged Nze Francis Onuora to use his position to better the lot of the Ndigbo and other ethnic groups.

Mr. Ogbonna further stated that after the civil war in 1970, the first set of traders in Warri, along Warri-Sapele Road and Okere Roundabout were Igbos who sold their wares on temporary structures made possible by the late Olu of Warri, Erejuwa II as a result of the passion he had for the Igbo Nation.

The Chairman of Ohaneze Ndigbo Ughelli Chapter, Engr. Chima Ohale, stated that Ndigbo Political Forum is to further unite the Ndigbo in Delta South, Central and the entire Delta State.

Source: http://www.freshangleng.com/news/2544-new_olu_of_warri_assures_of_peaceful_reign

The Itsekiris have one of the most beautiful cultures in Nigeria! They are one of the ethnic groups in Delta State and their sole ruler is the Olu of Warri. The Ancient Kingdom is known as Iwerre! All Itsekiris recognise Ode-Itsekiri as their ancestral home. Itsekiris can be found in Warri, Sapele, Asaba, Port-Harcourt, Ondo and Lagos States. Their language is similar to Yoruba. Their culture is Edoid. Their food and dressing are akin to those of the Urhobos.!

Ogiame Suo! Omi' Werre Dede! Itsekiri mo ka hian!

Lalasticlala, Dominique, bigfrancis21, Oam4j, Obinoscopy, Freemanan, Goodboiyy, Jasysandra, FREEEMANAN, Ishilove, Seun, Afam4eva, Onuwaje, Scholes01

4 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by praxisnetworks: 12:53pm On Dec 13, 2015
A Yoruba clan congratulations

8 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Favolly(f): 1:19pm On Dec 13, 2015
Is he also a deity like the Ooni?
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by fratermathy(m): 3:00pm On Dec 13, 2015
Favolly:
Is he also a deity like the Ooni?
If that's how you choose to see it. He's revered and respected. He's a first class monarch and the only king in Itsekiri land.

1 Like

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by fratermathy(m): 3:04pm On Dec 13, 2015
praxisnetworks:

Some Itsekiris won't like this statement. Itsekiri is Yoruboid but not a clan of Yoruba. The Olu of Itsekiri answers to no one like other Yoruba kings.

3 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 13, 2015
praxisnetworks:

Like you missed that thread about misconception of Warri and her people.. U just exhibited one of such characteristics.. well itsekiri is nt a Yoruba clan.. no beef bro as we see Yoruba as our big bro and kit and kin .. but Our Identity should not be tampered with...

God bless the Yoruba nation
God the The iwerre nation.

cc : Scholes0, Onuwaje, Sateje, Seun , lalasticlala oya

8 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 13, 2015
fratermathy:

Some Itsekiris won't like this statement. Itsekiri is Yoruboid but not a clan of Yoruba. The Olu of Itsekiri answers to no one like other Yoruba kings.

That hw we rol

4 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by iteleaye(m): 9:03pm On Dec 13, 2015
Good
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by mrobruche: 9:10pm On Dec 13, 2015
Hey hold it! Olu of Itsekiri not Olu of Warri

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by SweetJoystick(m): 9:11pm On Dec 13, 2015
Was represented
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 13, 2015
smiley
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by ademusiwa1e: 9:13pm On Dec 13, 2015
[size=18pt]The country of the Kingdom of Western nigeria.. Congratulate the New Olu of warri as the New Duke of Warri.
His Job is tasking and required the cooperation of all citizen of Warri . The country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria demand loyalty from all people who live in warri to cooperate with the New olu of warri. So that he can be able to build warri.

Warri is not part of Nigeria. It is part of the country of the kingdom of Western Nigeria. We got our Independent in 1957 while Nigeria got its independent in 1960.

The country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria thanks all who attended the program and our guest visitors from Nigeria. And the country of Western Nigeria thank our sister country Nigeria from sending visitors to the country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria.

I will be making a Royal tours to Warri and other cities, very soon.

Signed

The Emperor of the country of the Kindgom of Western Nigeria. [/size]

10 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by illiad: 9:20pm On Dec 13, 2015
Good

And where be da pictures dude Op?
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by rexbuton: 9:20pm On Dec 13, 2015
olu of itsekiri or olu of warri?

1 Like

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by martineverest(m): 9:23pm On Dec 13, 2015
rexbuton:
olu of itsekiri or olu of warri?
itsekiri owns Warri,urhobo and ijaw should chill

7 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by lyricalz: 9:26pm On Dec 13, 2015
fratermathy:

Edoid,
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by buJu234: 9:29pm On Dec 13, 2015
As far u would not follow the steps of ur father ur predecessor..

The steps of war and covetousness intruding into other kingdom territories.

These were wat led to the warri crisis of both Ijaw & Urhobo vs Itsekiri.

So plz follow peace like ur grand father

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by MrPresident1: 9:46pm On Dec 13, 2015
Setaje, did you attend the coronation? grin

1 Like

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by donj84: 9:51pm On Dec 13, 2015
praxisnetworks:
English is so difficult for you to read that you don't see the difference between Itsekiri and Yoruba..and for you notice, we are not yoruba incase you can differentiate..
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by donj84: 9:54pm On Dec 13, 2015
mrobruche:
Hey hold it! Olu of Itsekiri not Olu of Warri

Why do you talk as if you don't read literature books or don't update yourself with the internet..pleas use your internet to browse before you start typing things about our olu..and next time, you are not talking to your junior brothers here..so keep your hold it and don't bring blind statements you not sure of
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by fratermathy(m): 9:56pm On Dec 13, 2015
martineverest:

Oshare, let this case rest abeg. The main people involved; the Okumagbas and the Emikos are sleeping peacefully over the issue and it has been resolved amicably. The Olu knows his boundaries in Warri, Urhobos and Ijaws know theirs.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by jieta: 10:02pm On Dec 13, 2015
as I don't tear eye reach an only nairaland I take know say Warri na kingdom

1 Like

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 13, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Like you missed that thread about misconception of Warri and her people.. U just exhibited one of such characteristics.. well itsekiri is nt a Yoruba clan.. no beef bro as we see Yoruba as our big bro and kit and kin .. but Our Identity should not be tampered with...

God bless the Yoruba nation
God the The iwerre nation.

cc : Scholes0, Onuwaje, Sateje, Seun , lalasticlala oya
how many times have i told u dat u sudnt speak on behalf of d itsekiris r u alrt?

go and find ur urobo clan. itsekiris are benin + yorubas therefore they are oduduwa's clan. afterrall d language is 90% yoruba.

why is OPC in their land?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 13, 2015
donj84:

English is so difficult for you to read that you don't see the difference between Itsekiri and Yoruba..and for you notice, we are not yoruba incase you can differentiate..
what are d differences? South South dats all

1 Like

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 13, 2015
I'm from Ibadan, but i went to Big Warri yesterday on invitation by Ariyo of Warri...It was fun

2 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 13, 2015
Great
Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by Efe3: 10:21pm On Dec 13, 2015
What does Ikenwoli mean?
It sounds Igboish.

2 Likes

Re: New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday by uu001: 10:29pm On Dec 13, 2015
martineverest:

Itsekiris are well-known to be terrible liars for ages. Claiming to be owners of Warri when they are fully aware that they are the strangers. Check population and LGA's stats. How can an ethnic group of roughly about 600,000 people claim to be owners and first settlers when the Urhobo's are hundred times their number?

To the outside world he maybe known as Olu of whatever but as a Warri born and brought up son in the 80s I see him as Olu of Itsekiri.

Also check where their dwelling place or communities in Warri is all by the waterside meaning they originate from the interlands. How can one person from the least minority tribe in Nigeria become a olu of place where you have two other major tribe in Nigeria as the originators/indigence of that land? grin grin grin grin grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

21 Ibadan Obas Drop Crowns, Reconcile With Olubadan / PHOTOS: Ooni Of Ife At Eid Prayer Ground / Forget The Eze Ndigbo Title —Deji Of Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.