Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,247 members, 7,780,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:38 PM

African American Movies - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / African American Movies (9868 Views)

Mention the 5 Best American Movies You've Seen This Year So Far / Wich Do You Prefer: Nigerian Or American Movies? / Download American movies on laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

African American Movies by Nobody: 5:44am On May 24, 2005
What do people think of African-american movies?

Personally I think some can be pretty entertaining. Stuff like 'Brown Sugar', 'You Got Served' and 'Barbershop 1 & 2' were pretty cool.

Has anyone seen 'Diary of a Mad Black Woman'? If so, how many stars would you give it? ( lowest 1*, highest 5*)
Re: African American Movies by Allenpowered(m): 7:04am On May 24, 2005
I have not seen the diary of a mad black woman...but i think african american movies are kool by me. I particularly like the hilarious kinds like Down to earth, and i love the other genres too ...they are ok any which way u look at it.
Re: African American Movies by AMENZEIGBINEDION(f): 1:06pm On May 24, 2005
I would give as many stars as possible to the diary of a black women. That is a real movie and it speaks for itself. So many people can relate to that , and i think the way it was put together was perfect. I felt that the casts were given to the right people. I could watch it over and over again.
I do enjoy African American movies, the comdies are a classic and i do find them rather entertaining.
I have not actually watched Brown sugar, do you recommend it.

2 Likes

Re: African American Movies by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 24, 2005
I definitely recomend 'Brown Sugar'. Taye Diggs looks absolutely to die for. wink The story line is a bit predictable, but it fits into the role of a "feel good movie". You'll enjoy it.
Re: African American Movies by demmy(m): 4:32pm On May 24, 2005
Just like in music I am bias to African American movies. And I do like to support them really. Anyway still waiting to watch The Diary but I recently watched Will Smith's HITCH. It was entertaining. I've also watch Ray, and Washington's Manchurian Candidate. All recently. Ice Cube's XXX2 should be next.
Re: African American Movies by Chigszy(f): 6:42pm On May 24, 2005
I love African American movies, expecially action or comedy movies! Hilarious!

About XXX2, I still think that Vin Diesel was a better actor!! Men that guy is fine (with a capital letter)! But there is rumour that he is gay? I am like, "why are all the good one's gay?" angry, sad (i.e. if he really is or if all the guys are just jealous about his package?) Men, that body is fine too!
Re: African American Movies by osascool: 9:25am On May 25, 2005
OH! my Goodness u haven't seen the movie brown sugar, then it's a must. i agree with u menze that african america movie are the bomb, have u also seen the comedy undercover brother, well to say a few things african america movies are great but not taking anything away from the others there are also some good white movie. wink
Re: African American Movies by dominobaby(f): 11:28am On May 26, 2005
African american movies are quite interesting.
Osascool, I have seen Brown Sugar and the duo of Taye Diggs and Sanaa Lathan is quite cool(unlike S.Lathan and W.Snipes in Disappearing Acts rolleyes).
I've got the Manchurian Candidate lying at home and i guess it's about time i watched it.
Best Man, Love and Basketball, Two Can Play That Game .................. can't remember them all now, are quite interesting.
Re: African American Movies by Angelgal(f): 12:02pm On Jun 06, 2005
I dunno why, but I just don't like black movies...although some are exceptional..... Barbershop 1 & 2 was quite entertaining..
Re: African American Movies by Pinky(f): 3:55pm On Jun 06, 2005
ezinne1212 I agree with you o! But please can you give me the gists proper? I'm talking about 'Brown Sugar' .. I saw just disc 1 &and I can't find the 2nd disc. Can you give me the rest of the gist?

I think I watched it to the point where the black guy was going to marry that white girl and the black chic wasn't happy. If I recollect well, I watched where the black girl gave the guy a cheque at the park because he was broke.

Fill me in on the rest of the film please
Re: African American Movies by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 06, 2005
Pinky, that white chic (reese) is not white, she is just yellow grin. But yeah, Sidney( black chic) gives Dre( Taye diggs) the cash so he can start the recording studio. Dre goes home to tell the wife, who is against the idea. By the time she agrees to it and wants to call some people for cash, he tells her that its under control that Sidney gave him the cash. Wifey is annoyed that Sidney new about this before she did and thus the marriage spirals down hill. They both live together but aren't talking.She is working and he is struggling with the recording studio and his one artist, Mos def. Sidney on the other hand is dating her basketball guy, Kelby. She's really into him but still has feelings for her Dre. Sidney and Reese happen to attend the same boxing class and whilst doing their thing, it gets a bit personal. Reese confronts Sidney on her knowledge of what her Dre wanted to do and how she can't take it any longer with Sidney being in love with Dre. On the other hand Kelby proposes to Sidney and she accepts, although Dre isn't happy about it when he hears it. She has an engagement party, where Reese and Kelby meet and where Sidney and Dre argue because Dre thinks Sidney is making a mistake by marring Kelby. However Reese is fed up with it all and goes on a date with some dude, where she gets busted by Dre and Sidney and they are officially separated. Sidney doesn't marry Kelby because she realizes that she is making a mistake. It takes the intervention of Mos def in the end , which is the classic part, and she hooks up with Dre.
Thats the outline for you, but in order to appreciate the scenes i suggest you find that disc girl!
Re: African American Movies by ifegood: 3:14pm On Jun 08, 2005
most of my best american film is african american films check them out.
Re: African American Movies by hotangel2(f): 6:52am On Jun 22, 2005
ohhh, call the po-po on me is i say i don't love dairy of a mad black woman. (if u have seen the movie, u know wat a po-po is). I love african american movies. the best ever was, love and basket ball. I love that movie so much.
Re: African American Movies by kazey(m): 5:14am On Jul 08, 2005
Hum i am big fan of Movies starred by African American Actors epecially the ones starring actors like "Old Eddy Morphy", Martin Lawrence, Will Smith, Queen Latifah (Although she is not that good in acting, her recent Taxi was just ok), Anthony Anderson (Dem he is funny and Talented, "Lets get the bugs out" hahaha wink) , Martin Freeman (With the kind of looks, u see from his eyes), ICE CUBe (did well in Babershop, But Triple X was something else), Carl Lumbly, and not forgetting the great Denzel Washington (He is just too talented, watch his "John Q" and your would understand i mean, i am looking forward to his Inside Man and Dejavu, coming out next year) and the list goes on and on.

African American actors starring in any movie, just would not only make you laugh and laugh, but would send down the message of the film deep down your spin. I guess you know what i mean wink
Re: African American Movies by Kenya(f): 6:08am On Jul 08, 2005
Being African American I would say that some of the movies are cool but I am sick and tired of seeing the negative or un intelligent movies being dispaled about us. These movies paint pitcures in peoples head and most times it's not real it's just a thought or something. All you see is people acting stupid or killing, hurting or slavery pitcures or something. Now it may be apart of our reality but there are many more things to show. I am very interested in seeing positive images of African American movies. The positive movies don't make the top of the charts. This is killing us so bad.

I did love Madea's movies. She's funny and she keeps it real.
Re: African American Movies by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 08, 2005
i'm loving black american movies too.

the wack ones include:

u got served(poor script, just B2k boys feeling they're all hunks...short idiots grin)
beauty shop(off shot of barber shop...too much fake acting/over-acting)
-------------------------------------------
the great one include:

'Brown Sugar'
Barbershop 1 & 2'
baby boy
Two Can Play That Game
the wash
boyz in d hood

will think of more later. go to yahoo movies for reviews http://movies.yahoo.com/ . it's where the planet is
Re: African American Movies by DEKING3(m): 12:32pm On Jul 09, 2005
When you talk American movies with blacks playing lead roles, you talk of interesting and entertaining movies sure to hook you till the end.

I love them and I must say our bros & sis over there are really keeping their heads high in the movies & music industry of that country.

More KUDOS!!!
Re: African American Movies by Chxta(m): 8:12am On Jul 11, 2005
IMO African Americans like Nigerians tend to excel when they stick to comedy. But the occassional non-comedy movie (mainstream) comes to mind, for example Set It Off was an excellent movie. And one of those few movies from the last 15 years that you actually take something home from.
Re: African American Movies by Pinky(f): 10:35am On Jul 31, 2005
i just watched this African-American movie: Love Jones by some black dudes & ehmm...{cant recollect the name now: but it's this chic that acted big moma's house with martin Lawrence} the film is da bum to me, i even broke my rules with the film: watched it 2 consecutive times.
Re: African American Movies by Latoya(f): 5:22am On Aug 01, 2005
Has anyone seen "The dairy of a mad black woman" that movie rocks wink
i recommend it to all
Re: African American Movies by hotangel2(f): 7:04am On Aug 01, 2005
i have seen it latoya. I love that movie.

If you know tie kwando, i know Whoop your ass. Call the popo ho. lol
Re: African American Movies by nike4luv(f): 11:20am On Aug 01, 2005
oh i love african american movies..dey r hilarious, wit queen latifa and all de rest..erm any one seen fighting temptations..brown sugar rocks too lol, coming to america and loads like that
Re: African American Movies by hotangel2(f): 12:07pm On Aug 01, 2005
fighting temptation was good. Brown gusgar was good. Deliver us from eva, love don't cost a thing, babershop and so many others.
Re: African American Movies by Latoya(f): 2:27pm On Aug 01, 2005
Love dont cost a thing wasnt that good,Christina Milan was annoying in the Movie.
Have u seen 'BE COOL'by Chritina Milan.
Have u seen Johnson family Vacation?
Re: African American Movies by nike4luv(f): 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2005
love dont cost a thing was gud though..african americans r amazin smiley
Re: African American Movies by hotangel2(f): 12:51am On Aug 02, 2005
"Be cool" is a very dumb ass movie. I didn't like it..but hey it wasn't all black movie. Johnson family was great.. made ma laugh.
Re: African American Movies by Pinky(f): 1:04am On Aug 02, 2005
johnson's family..........i love the film, the part i love most is when the whole family had a dancing competition.. they sure know how to step, ROck & roll
Re: African American Movies by hotangel2(f): 1:10am On Aug 02, 2005
Damn right pinky. The dance was funny Cedric is crazy and Steve harvey has issues. lol
Re: African American Movies by Latoya(f): 4:21am On Aug 02, 2005
Cedric is the Man cool
Re: African American Movies by hotangel2(f): 5:09am On Aug 02, 2005
yes he is. grin
Re: African American Movies by Latoya(f): 7:38am On Aug 02, 2005
Do u watch his daily shows?
Re: African American Movies by hotangel2(f): 4:50am On Aug 03, 2005
nahhh.. only the one he is with steve harvey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is The "Contains Flash Photography" Warning Important In Some News Bulletin? / Korean Series Download Site,eg A Man Called God / Nollywood Actress Geraldine Ekeocha Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.