Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba (6426 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by dsa(m): 3:53pm On Jun 05, 2009
On Tuesday 2 June, 2009, Microsoft launched Local Interface pack Windows Vista in Local languages: Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba, in Abuja good news I think to promote local language and break language barriers between rurla dwellers and technology.

What is your view about this product and how effective do you think this will help our economy.

Post your views.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Seun(m): 4:00pm On Jun 05, 2009
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by bigboyslim(m): 4:12pm On Jun 05, 2009
I wonder what they hope to achieve with this. I seriously doubt the efficacy of our local languages to handle technical concepts. Also, as long as English remains the national language of instruction in schools, people would generaly feel more comfortable learning in English than in any local language. Just my 2 cents
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Carlosein(m): 4:26pm On Jun 05, 2009
let's give it a try first before crying wolf.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by seunallday: 4:29pm On Jun 05, 2009
question pls, who has seen anybody dat is really computer literate but cannot read or write in english, good idea if it didnt cost dem dat much tho
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 05, 2009
Pure waste of time.
Most people that are computer literate in Nigeria can't even read or write their own local language.
English is the official language in Nigeria and it is taught in schools.
How many people can speak, read, and write in hausa, yoruba, Ibo  (that is, out of the people who actually use computers)
The people who would actually benefit from this don't even know what a computer is so this is a pure waste.

This only works in countries that speak or use their own language as national/medium of exchange
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by oluclem(m): 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2009
quote from bigboyslim
I wonder what they hope to achieve with this. I seriously doubt the efficacy of our local languages to handle technical concepts. Also, as long as English remains the national language of instruction in schools, people would generaly feel more comfortable learning in English than in any local language. Just my 2 cents
Doudting Thomas,  I have one that work pefectly.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by MrCrackles(m): 4:40pm On Jun 05, 2009
Topic

Impressive! grin
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Bawss1(m): 4:42pm On Jun 05, 2009
seunallday:

question pls, who has seen anybody dat is really computer literate but cannot read or write in english, good idea if it didnt cost dem dat much tho
Hey at least local language translators got to see some action smiley
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 05, 2009
not too sure about this
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by slimfine(f): 5:05pm On Jun 05, 2009
never knew that cybercafes are available in the remote villages
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 05, 2009
hi guys, who has tried this.

I wanna try but i dont wanta run into problems with my basic installations
will i be able to switch back without losing a tooth?
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by abhosts(m): 5:35pm On Jun 05, 2009
I wonder how those folks would be taught to use a wide array of third party software that do not support Nigerian languages. Also, when those folks come online, how many websites will make provision for them? Nairaland?  grin grin grin
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by danteweb: 5:46pm On Jun 05, 2009
You guys all sound like shallow minded fellas.  

If we allow technology to overwhelm our languages, we might lose them.

", So, what if we lose our languages, english is better,       "
Hells NO!!!!!!

The biggest single problem liable for our underdevelopment is the use of English. Have you ever seen a mechanic learn his trade or relate in English. No. They do their trade in their local languages and so do millions of Nigerians. But because we have allowed technology overtake these languages what they learn is inefficient.

As long as graduate Automobile engineers in English and train Mechanics in Local languages, we can never make cars in Nigeria.

Why is it that all countries that develop technology in their languages are highly developed e.g china, japan, korea, india etc, and those that use other peoples languages are underdeveloped e.g: Nigeria and other african countries?

This is because your language depicts your realities.

I'll stop here and leave you guys to think out the rest
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 5:47pm On Jun 05, 2009
*sigh* I hope Igbo would be complete and word have commands and such like "computer gi were error" lol
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by DualCore1: 5:59pm On Jun 05, 2009
wtf?! Bring out MS Vista Pidgin Edition and i promise i wont look for a pirated copy of it i'll buy it if it isnt free tongue

danteweb:

You guys all sound like shallow minded fellas.

If we allow technology to overwhelm our languages, we might lose them.

", So, what if we lose our languages, english is better, "
Hells NO!!!!!!

The biggest single problem liable for our underdevelopment is the use of English. Have you ever seen a mechanic learn his trade or relate in English. No. They do their trade in their local languages and so do millions of Nigerians. But because we have allowed technology overtake these languages what they learn is inefficient.

As long as graduate Automobile engineers in English and train Mechanics in Local languages, we can never make cars in Nigeria.

Why is it that all countries that develop technology in their languages are highly developed e.g china, japan, korea, india etc, and those that use other peoples languages are underdeveloped e.g: Nigeria and other african countries?

This is because your language depicts your realities.

I'll stop here and leave you guys to think out the rest
with all due respect, i dont see where ya going with this with respect to yoruba, igbo and hausa on vista.

erm, when u wonno shut down i'm just wondering wht the prompt will be on a "yoruba vista". . .

[center]"Abi Se e fe k'm kpa kini'e?"
"ye! Oti o!" | "be ni, e kpa"[/center]

mehn this sux major donkey ballz.

P.S: i'm just talking from an IMHO perspective, so dont take a fight with me if i dont like the idea. not like i'm an active vista user tho.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 05, 2009
@danteweb,

sorry, i speak yoruba every day and speak english only in corporate environments
better still, i prefer english language pack to yoruba. I tried to install it see what greeted me. OMG, where can i get a yoruba dikko
it's been long i used D-R-M

Please guys, share ur experiences when u install it.
am seriously wondering what popular windows object will be renamed.

folders, file, open, view, history,bookmarks,tools, of course 'help' will be "E gba mi ooo, Mo ti so nu"
windows cannot detect ur device- ferese ko riran ri devaisi to o pulogi
lol,

Kudo to Microsoft, they understand that our culture is very important and the have built a support for it.
am going to start using IE, (even though Mr gates himself uses Firefox to securely browse the web grin)

Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by DualCore1: 6:11pm On Jun 05, 2009
see its even majorly conc yoruba sef, the ones tht our folks use wen they wonno get into 'classified' mode, not the funkified everyday one.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ifyalways(f): 6:12pm On Jun 05, 2009
rofl.
E go hard ooooo.
Trying to install the igbo.laffing so hard rom the constant chere chere cheesy
No bi small thing.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ayobase(m): 6:26pm On Jun 05, 2009
This Na Exploitation!!!
Are they showing us
flexibility?
Infact,do they know what
yoruba language is?
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jun 05, 2009
Dual Core:

see its even majorly conc yoruba sef, the ones tht our folks use wen they wonno get into 'classified' mode, not the funkified everyday one.

classifieds mode, lol
those ami just dey make me feel web dizzi
if they had considered pidgin, i wouldv installed it.

@ify,

no be small tin ooo

ayobase:

This Na Exploitation!!!
Are they showing us
flexibility?
Infact,do they know what
yoruba language is?

seriously my bro, they need to pay royalty
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by manny4life(m): 6:42pm On Jun 05, 2009
While most of people's argument seems impressive, however, I must say from my own opinion. I was taught that English is just a language and a tool used for communication. Moreover, if this is true, then I applaud Microsoft for that taking that initiative. Although English is a common language, I can view from Microsoft perspective that it is not a necessary communication tool used particularly within the Nigerian geographical area. Nevertheless, within the past few years, Microsoft launches has always had one problem or the other especially with Vista configuration. I like to see how effective this launch will be and I mean its compatibility.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Krayola(m): 6:44pm On Jun 05, 2009
Good idea.

I think pidgin english would have been the most practical and effective option though

A "big" english word is likely to have an even "bigger" native translation that few people will know. In pidgin English they can just use a more simple definition. .
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2009
ifyalways:

rofl.
E go hard ooooo.
Trying to install the igbo.laffing so hard rom the constant chere chere   cheesy
No bi small thing.
grin

You must admit though, errors would be a blast.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by vescucci(m): 7:16pm On Jun 05, 2009
google forget igbo people now vista don remember them abeg Nupe language still dey naija oh

the best language for those things for be pigin english way all man dey yan
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nwazo(m): 7:27pm On Jun 05, 2009
This is Awesome. About time they do this for the country with the highest population in Africa! They must've had this in Afrikans for the S.Africans I bet, it's only right Naija gets their own na!
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ohaechesi(m): 7:34pm On Jun 05, 2009
there are alot to consider on this move as perpetuated by the federal government. this will not only bring development in our country, it will also reduce the rate of crimes in Nigeria. what are my trying to say, in a situation whereby the next person close to you can hear and understand the other man's language , people will be mindful on what they say in public and even in an uncovered areas. you can agree with me that a group of armed rubbers from yoruba for instance can comfortable plot a deal with their gangs  in the midst of igbo man or hausa man and possibly execute their plans successfully due to the fact they manipulated the other folks with their language. To by honest, this is the first reasonable invention perpetuated by the present administration.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Teacher200(m): 8:04pm On Jun 05, 2009
I notice that the local vista can help those who want to learn computer via those languages, but assuming one wants to browse the net. how can the new vista help in that regards as no websites in the local languages. it is a new development any way.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by congoshine(m): 8:20pm On Jun 05, 2009
BBC hausa website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hausa/
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by dominique(f): 8:22pm On Jun 05, 2009
i'm sure the nirtherners will find this real useful. . . .in fact, they'll prolly heave a sigh of relief.
they teach their students in hausa. i was once at the secondary school management board in Kano and i didn't hear a word of english from the staff. doesn't mean they are not educated but they prefer to read, write and speak in hausa.therefore,while the igbo and yoruba versions of vista are a complete waste of time, the hausa version would be embraced by the northerners.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by nazzyon(m): 8:28pm On Jun 05, 2009
I don't see anything wrong in traditional Language version of a software.

What is most important is updates. As long as its developer is ready to keep updating the software it will be useful to those who wants to learn Yoruba, Hausa or Ibo.

All coded programs in English are easier for you to learn because you understand English. It is only few amongst us who can use a software in Chinese.

If you can spend your whole life time to learn foreign language, why can you approve of your language for once.

It is only few English, Italian, French, German or Russian are willing to learn Nigerian Language, which is the opposite for us Nigerians.

We simply down cast our own before we are being criticized by others. If you don't value your own, how do you expect the foreigners to see it.

This language issue has gotten worse to the extent that if we African's marry any foreigners  it is us who will have to learn their language, why not them.

If we include our language in everything we do, I believe other foreigners will be willing to learn our language if they need our resources, products.

It is until we realize that our own language, tradition are valuable assets that should or must not be forgotten we will still have the problems we were tackling in the past in our future.

We have to accept and promote our own.

It bring us to WEB PAGE designs.

I heard from a friend that Nigerian firms prefer to give the job to a foreigner.

What is happening to us?
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by javalove(m): 8:34pm On Jun 05, 2009
and so? How does this erase the fact that the OS itself is wack!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Browse The Internet With Any Decoder At 5mb Per Second Free / Mcdorsey Can Fix It!–computers, Mobile Phones, Home & Office Electronic Products / Download New Google Play Store 4.9.13 APK File, Uses Material Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.