Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,488 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? - Investment (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? (122620 Views)

3 Easy Ways To Survive The Present Financial Meltdown In The Nigerian Economy / Beware Of Wonder Banks, CBN Warns / The Meltdown Of The Nigerian Capital Market: Causes And Consequences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tanimola22: 10:34am On Jul 03, 2012
chamber2: ^^^^

Violent is a very smart guy no doubt. I enjoy reading his submissions.

Guy, it's been a while. You hardly post these days. You just stylishly breeze in and breeze out.

Abi one Hedge Fund jab has clicked ni? Let's us know O, so we can celebrate with you and welcome you to the world of the greedy lol.

T22

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by chamber2(m): 5:40pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^^
Bros i dey oh, still dey hustle grin Thanks

How market na
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by violent(m): 8:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^

Abeg, once you don land hedge fund job, me self wan follow you chop your money o!

tanimola22:

Guy, it's been a while. You hardly post these days. You just stylishly breeze in and breeze out.

Abi one Hedge Fund jab has clicked ni? Let's us know O, so we can celebrate with you and welcome you to the world of the greedy lol.

T22

Quick question: Is Greed a good thing?

a) Yes, it's a dog eat dog world anyway

b) No, mama says "Always be a good boy Tanimola"

C) Well, I don't think it's okay, but I'm open to being tempted.

cool cool
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jul 05, 2012
One of the earliest contributors to this thread some 3 years ago.

So immersed in oyel now I can't even remember anything on investment banking again grin
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
Started an MBA at last, after 5 years of dilly-dallying. Can't afford to abandon my job for masters abroad now, so settled for Edinburgh distance learning(only seminars to take place on-campus). Hope that will be a platform to put my head at work again.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tanimola22: 9:16am On Jul 06, 2012
chamber2: ^^^^
Bros i dey oh, still dey hustle grin Thanks

How market na

Mhen, we thank God O. I am holidaying at the moment!

T22
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tanimola22: 9:19am On Jul 06, 2012
violent: ^^^

Abeg, once you don land hedge fund job, me self wan follow you chop your money o!

Quick question: Is Greed a good thing?

a) Yes, it's a dog eat dog world anyway

b) No, mama says "Always be a good boy Tanimola"

C) Well, I don't think it's okay, but I'm open to being tempted.

cool cool

C)

Sadly, the most upright people face this temptation all the time. Some unfortunately fall. We have examples all around us.

T22
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tanimola22: 9:22am On Jul 06, 2012
Jarus: Started an MBA at last, after 5 years of dilly-dallying. Can't afford to abandon my job for masters abroad now, so settled for Edinburgh distance learning(only seminars to take place on-campus). Hope that will be a platform to put my head at work again.

Congrats O. At least you will enter the UK once in a month. Important seminars should be held monthly, I guess.

T22
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tanimola22: 9:28am On Jul 06, 2012
Jarus: One of the earliest contributors to this thread some 3 years ago.

So immersed in oyel now I can't even remember anything on investment banking again grin

In the future, you may re-enter if you like. You can work as a very senior oil trader. Many big banks have oil trading departments and they value people who have had real experience in the oil and gas world.

T22
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by chandler05: 12:35am On Sep 21, 2012
HELLO , IS ANY ONE DOWN FOR RUN SOME NUMBERS FOR A MONTE CAROL SIMULATION.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by chandler05: 9:31am On Oct 07, 2012
Please feel free to contribute to this thread so we can all learn.

This chat is to shed light on Monte Carlo simulation , what is a MCS? "Monte Carlo simulation" it is a computer based simulation used for forecasting future price for asset [stocks, bonds, currencies and project ] in financial markets . To be able to make a MCS your numerical skills most be above average , It will intrest you to know that when PPP[ public private partnership ] scheme was still in work in progress "PHd thesis" in the early 1990 / 1995 Monte Carlo simulation where used to forecast the viability .

It is not the only tool that can be used but it is respected because of they time span it can capture , 10 years forward looking or more .

Most of the advanced financial markets in the world use it .
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by violent(m): 10:11am On Oct 07, 2012
^^

Don't let anyone sell you some snake oil.

Nothing you do will make you predict the future, not especially some random number generation that is only as good or as useless as it's distributional assumptions.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 10:31pm On Oct 07, 2012
violent: ^^

Don't let anyone sell you some snake oil.

Nothing you do will make you predict the future, not especially some random number generation that is only as good or as useless as it's distributional assumptions.

Nigerians and buzz words sha. cheesy cheesy

@Last post but one,
Monte Carlo is just some iteration method you learn in numerical analysis, if you study any numerate discipline. From science to engineering to finance and economics. It has wide mathematical use.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by violent(m): 12:31am On Oct 08, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Nigerians and buzz words sha. cheesy cheesy

@Last post but one,
Monte Carlo is just some iteration method you learn in numerical analysis, if you study any numerate discipline. From science to engineering to finance and economics. It has wide mathematical use.

I recently wrote a VBA code for a risk attribution framework on one of our managed fund portfolios, and you wouldn't believe how shocked I am when my supervisor asked me "How can we make it more complex/sophisticated?"

It isn't just a Nigerian thingy. Some clients love to hear that these "big name" techniques are being applied in the management of their portfolios. That's what they pay for, that's what we sell em!

Monte Carlo in finance may be useful in sensitivity analysis or VAR models which will assume that outcomes will follow a certain distribution...which is not only misleading, but could also cost you a fortune.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by candylips(m): 4:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
violent:

I recently wrote a VBA code for a risk attribution framework on one of our managed fund portfolios, and you wouldn't believe how shocked I am when my supervisor asked me "How can we make it more complex/sophisticated?"

It isn't just a Nigerian thingy. Some clients love to hear that these "big name" techniques are being applied in the management of their portfolios. That's what they pay for, that's what we sell em!

Monte Carlo in finance may be useful in sensitivity analysis or VAR models which will assume that outcomes will follow a certain distribution...which is not only misleading, but could also cost you a fortune.

NOT anymore since the economic meltdown.

MCS is used extensively in some areas of Electrical engineering

At least engineers use it to achieve something useful. Not those idiotic Financial analyst trying to predict d future
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by candylips(m): 4:28pm On Oct 09, 2012
violent:

Majority of Finanacial models assume a normal distribution that is why when events like the financial crisis of 2008 occur and there is a fat tail distribution, these models become completely useless

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by zizie: 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2012
Hi,

Please How can one enter into the field of investment Banking. I have over 4 years experience in the telecom industry,also an MBA in finance and currently a CFA level 3 candidate?\

advice needed
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by deenee: 6:34am On Oct 20, 2012
@ last poster, you don't need to break into investment banking, you can still do investment banking in telecomms, they have a treasury dept, they engage in proprietary transactions, engage in M and A deals, debt structuring and origination, portfolio management, financial disintermediation, the list is endless.

Do your homework very well and you will be amazed at the vast opportunities inherent in your current sector of work.

I am amazed that this kind of question is coming from someone with four years work experience and CFA level 3 candidate
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 7:25am On Oct 20, 2012
zizie: Hi,

Please How can one enter into the field of investment Banking. I have over 4 years experience in the telecom industry,also an MBA in finance and currently a CFA level 3 candidate?\

advice needed

Amazing.
With all these qualifications, you're still asking these questions?
To start with, are you working in corporate finance or treasury, in your telco? If you do, then you don't need Nairaland to answer these questions of yours. I am confused. Tell us if we're missing something here.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by wyt(m): 4:28pm On Oct 20, 2012
@ zizie, i tot u are d one asking for level 2 material on the tread 'CFA candidates in house' as oda peeps has rightly said, u ought adding b adding value to this tread and of course other related tread in NL not asking such a kindagaton question.(no ofence pal). when people lik u post everyone shld listen.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by zizie: 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2012
wyt: @ zizie, i tot u are d one asking for level 2 material on the tread 'CFA candidates in house' as oda peeps has rightly said, u ought adding b adding value to this tread and of course other related tread in NL not asking such a kindagaton question.(no ofence pal). when people lik u post everyone shld listen.

I wanted to get the level 2 material for a Friend, thats why i asked.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by zizie: 8:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
I work in the sales Department. Its very difficult to switch to another department in my organisation.

AjanleKoko:

Amazing.
With all these qualifications, you're still asking these questions?
To start with, are you working in corporate finance or treasury, in your telco? If you do, then you don't need Nairaland to answer these questions of yours. I am confused. Tell us if we're missing something here.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 9:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
zizie:
I work in the sales Department. Its very difficult to switch to another department in my organisation.

I'm sure there must be vacancies in Finance that you could apply for internally. Have you tried any?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by zizie: 8:33am On Oct 22, 2012
AjanleKoko: I was told by the HR unit that I could not switch. That I had to swap with someone.
My only concern is just to gather the experience needed by the CFAI
I'm sure there must be vacancies in Finance that you could apply for internally. Have you tried any?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 1:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
zizie: I was told by the HR unit that I could not switch. That I had to swap with someone.
My only concern is just to gather the experience needed by the CFAI

Which telco is that sef?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by zizie: 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
Abeg o i dont want to say the name in a public forum grin grin grin

AjanleKoko:

Which telco is that sef?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by traeces(m): 5:18pm On Nov 18, 2012
Hello people, this is indeed a great thread and thanks to everyone especially T22, Jarus, violent, ajanlekoko, candylips, chamber2 and a host of others for your very enlightening and helpful contributions.
Me and my wife are at a stage when very desperately looking for jobs. Anything from a government job to an investment banking job will do. I have a physics degree and my wife has a social science degree. We are very widely read in business, psychology, systems development, religion, etc. and have had a combined 11 years of experience in private business.
Help from any quater will be very highly appreciated. We can be reached on goldtraeces@gmail.com.
Thanks very much.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by okposm: 9:45am On Dec 05, 2012
pls who knows what the pay is like for capital bancorp plc for entry level
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by landinfo: 2:16pm On Dec 16, 2012
Good analysis
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by obi2012: 8:05am On Jan 23, 2013
Interesting to see/hear from active investment professionals in nigeria.. I didn't know the field was this active back home..
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by chandler05: 1:18pm On Feb 03, 2013
Good morning to all in this chat room .

I just built a binomial intrest rate tree , it is used to value options ,prepayment on mortgages, puts, calls and callable bonds . I know most of the instruments I just mentioned are not traded in our market today , but they will one day .

I just wanted to shed light of Intrest rate tree and learn from anyone who has in depth understanding on the model.

Looking forward to reading your constructive criticisms.

Have a splendid sunday .

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mhoo(f): 9:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
Hello people... Wish I could go through every page of this thread but I can't at the moment but judging from the first and last page of this thread I know we have some highly-informed people around. A quick Q: Can someone give useful info on the test format for FBN Capital? Need this info ASAP pls! Thank you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

MMM Nigeria: 'I Am Doomed; I Need My Money Back...' Tears, Wailings Trail 'crash / MMM Blocks Withdrawal Of Funds For One Month! / Get Help Worldwide Is In Its Last Days. Beware!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.