Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? (4537 Views)

Anambra Etinyela Ọtụtụ Ego Na Mmepe Ime Ime Obodo - Nnacheta. By Izunna Okafor / Why Do Somalian Have An Overinflated Sense Of Ego? / Akward Mentality And Reasoning Sense Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by fanficgirl(f): 10:48pm On Dec 16, 2015
[s][/s]Everytime I have come across a Somalian both online and in life they always seem so stuck up and arogrant. They seem to believe that they are better than so called west Africans and ridicule me whenever I say I'm from Nigeria. I was baffled by this behavior and tried to Ilford out what was up and then I find the same type of threads made by them on here. Where do their sense of superiority come from? Do they really think they are so attractive when a lot of them aren't as pretty az they liie to propogaete? I'm not trying to bash them and I know this doesn't pertain to all but I just think that the genral attitude of alot of the ones I met are ridiculous.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Cutehector(m): 10:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
I want to believe you are nigerian

2 Likes

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Khd95(m): 11:05pm On Dec 16, 2015
They are simply being somalianssmileysmiley

op shey u no no say say,one sure way to locate a nigerian in a crowd of africans is to look for the own that acts like he is doin u a favour visiting ur countrygrin
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Penssuwa(m): 4:16pm On Dec 17, 2015
Who cares...
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 18, 2015
fanficgirl:
[s][/s]Everytime I have come across a Somalian both online and in life they always seem so stuck up and arogrant. They seem to believe that they are better than so called west Africans and ridicule me whenever I say I'm from Nigeria. I was baffled by this behavior and tried to Ilford out what was up and then I find the same type of threads made by them on here. Where do their sense of superiority come from? Do they really think they are so attractive when a lot of them aren't as pretty az they liie to propogaete? I'm not trying to bash them and I know this doesn't pertain to all but I just think that the genral attitude of alot of the ones I met are ridiculous.

Well, I'm Somali, OP. It seems to me like you've come across some particularly rude, zenophobic folks, but yes, we do tend to be an arrogant, prideful and stubborn people in general. However, that arrogance is a self-arrogance that is in no way directed particularly to West Africans or any one group across the world. It's something that's static, and oftentimes may not necessarily denote any underlying racism at all. It's just how we (or many of us) are, I guess. I myself am by no means racist or ethnocentric (at least not detrimentally anyway) - I've always been immersed in a diverse group of friends and I've certainly date/d outside my ethnicity, and don't treat people any differently, etc, but even I have it in me. And I daresay it's actually been a useful trait to have at times.

You should note that the hateful threads you see on here are from a one-man-army under different usernames, and that many of us have come here to denounce him specifically, including myself. I wish the moderators would take heed so that you, at least, don't have to see that bullshyt on your own site, and I've expressed this many a time, but it appears they think it trivial despite it being explicitly against the forum rules. As for the rude ones in your life, you need to stand up to them if/when they mock you else they won't respect you. Sometimes it just takes standing up for yourself. You're at school, I assume? Report them to the authorities. GL.

2 Likes

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nmeri17: 9:32pm On Dec 18, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Well, I'm Somali, OP..
EnlightenedSoul:
My roots are in the Horn (Djibouti to be exact).

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 18, 2015
Nmeri17:

Edit: I think I now sense what you're getting at...

Ethnicity: Somali. Country: Djibouti. Region: HOA

Those are my roots, anyway.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nmeri17: 10:21pm On Dec 18, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:
……
I was simply expressing delight at learning that Somalia and the Djibouti are in fact the same country but having different flags and occupying a different geographical land mass. smiley I've always thought them to be two different countries but hey....what do I know
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 18, 2015
Nmeri17:
I was simply expressing delight at learning that Somalia and the Djibouti are in fact the same country but having different flags and occupying a different geographical land mass. smiley I've always thought them to be two different countries but hey....what do I know

PS: For real, why haven't you written a book yet?? And don't see this as another opportunity to display the deposits of humility embedded in you as you're always quick to do--for once, admit your grammar equates a circus dexterously curated by a female word juggler. cheesy

They most certainly aren't the same country. I rep Djibouti, but when she says "Somalians" Somalis are arrogant, she can mean either the ethnicity as a whole which would include Somalis from all across the Horn including Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya and Djibouti, or she could mean Somali citizens from Somalia specifically. My guess is she ran into Somalis from Somalia (they tend to be a lot more crude and rough around the edges), but we're all arrogant all the same, lol. Frankly, there isn't one Horn African ethnic group that isn't arrogant.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Dec 18, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

They most certainly aren't the same country. I rep Djibouti, but when she says "Somalians" Somalis are arrogant, she can mean either the ethnicity as a whole which would include Somalis from all across the Horn including Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya and Djibouti, or she could mean Somali citizens from Somalia specifically. My guess is she ran into Somalis from Somalia (they tend to be a lot more crude and rough around the edges), but we're all arrogant all the same, lol. Frankly, there isn't a Horn African ethnic group that isn't arrogant.

The few Habeshas I know are very unassuming people. But maybe it's just the ones i know, and it's just a small number.

The one Somali family i know however (they are just two brothers who run a cyber cafe)... lipsrsealed

I have wondered whether it has anything to do with religion. Do the Habeshas see me as a fellow Christian, and the Somalis as...well...an infidel?

1 Like

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 18, 2015
Radoillo:

The few Habeshas I know are very unassuming people. But maybe it's just the ones i know, and it's just a small number.

The one Somali family i know however (they are just two brothers who run a cyber cafe)... lipsrsealed

I have wondered whether it has anything to do with religion. Do the Habeshas see me as a fellow Christian, and the Somalis as...well...an infidel?

The Somali population is practically non-existent where I live, but I'm around plenty of Habeshas and I honestly couldn't tell you which is "worse", so to speak. It's pretty much a hit and miss all 'round with regards to how people will choose orient themselves to others. Sometimes I'll think one culture is more accomodating, the very next day I'll think the opposite. Even so, I believe most of us are fairly decent folk, most especially those of us who grew up here.

Oh, I've no doubt in my mind that religion helps keep the arrogant prejudices at bay. As you may have noticed, our resident troll sometimes likes to throw out something along the lines of, "Blah blah *abuses* blah blah, but Nigerian Muslims are okay by me...". Orthodox Christian Habeshas are the same way. They'll show favor to you in the spirit of Christianity, even despite being prejudiced.

These are both arrogant cultures in which religion has managed to seep its way into the fabric of the culture to the extent that being a follower of the preferred religion is viewed as something of extension of that culture, and reason enough for camaraderie and honorary brotherhood, if never ethnic brotherhood. As such, Somalis will definitely show favor to Muslims, but I don't feel we express strong disfavor towards Non-Muslims as infidels in the same way, at least not generally. Most Somalis are Muslim moreso in name than in practice.

3 Likes

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Puntite: 2:58pm On Dec 19, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Well, I'm Somali, OP. It seems to me like you've come across some particularly rude, zenophobic folks, but yes, we do tend to be an arrogant, prideful and stubborn people in general. However, that arrogance is a self-arrogance that is in no way directed particularly to West Africans or any one group across the world. It's something that's static, and oftentimes may not necessarily denote any underlying racism at all. It's just how we (or many of us) are, I guess. I myself am by no means racist or ethnocentric (at least not detrimentally anyway) - I've always been immersed in a diverse group of friends and I've certainly date/d outside my ethnicity, and don't treat people any differently, etc, but even I have it in me. And I daresay it's actually been a useful trait to have at times.

You should note that the hateful threads you see on here are from a one-man-army under different usernames, and that many of us have come here to denounce him specifically, including myself. I wish the moderators would take heed so that you, at least, don't have to see that bullshyt on your own site, and I've expressed this many a time, but it appears they think it trivial despite it being explicitly against the forum rules. As for the rude ones in your life, you need to stand up to them if/when they mock you else they won't respect you. Sometimes it just takes standing up for yourself. You're at school, I assume? Report them to the authorities. GL.

Look at this bi*tch jumping up and down for Fufus on this forum.

Nayaa why degrade yourself like this?
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Puntite: 3:04pm On Dec 19, 2015
fanficgirl:

Yo Zanj ape girl. Maybe you should find your self worth and self confidence. Stop looking around to what the Somali master race think and do.

That is some insecure shit right there.

1 Like

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 19, 2015
Puntite:

[s]Look at this bi*tch jumping up and down for Fufus on this forum.

Nayaa why degrade yourself like this?[/s]

Damaged psychopath, you degrade and embarrass yourself. GTFO of my mentions.

And gabadhha ka tirr waxaad qortay, dhameenyow.

4 Likes

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by fanficgirl(f): 12:31am On Dec 21, 2015
Puntite:

Yo Zanj ape girl. Maybe you should find your self worth and self confidence. Stop looking around to what the Somali master race think and do.

I couldn't take you seriously after you called Somalis the master race. Have a good might troll.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by fanficgirl(f): 12:33am On Dec 21, 2015
Khd95:
They are simply being somalianssmileysmiley

op shey u no no say say,one sure way to locate a nigerian in a crowd of africans is to look for the own that acts like he is doin u a favour visiting ur countrygrin
LOL that's true. We're so funny grin
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by fanficgirl(f): 12:37am On Dec 21, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Thanks for your comment and I'm sorry I don't mean to generalize and I know there is good and bad in every race. About the arrogance thing you mentioned, can you please elaborate.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Puntite: 4:29pm On Dec 21, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Damaged psychopath, you degrade and embarrass yourself. GTFO of my mentions.

And gabadhha ka tirr waxaad qortay, dhameenyow.

This is just tragic getting overly emotional and butthurt for FUFUs. Tragic just tragic. Can't

You don't have kintir and yet you Hot for Bantu D. Reer Djibouti are all dhaqanlee dhilos.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 21, 2015
Puntite:

This is just tragic getting overly emotional and butthurt for FUFUs. Tragic just tragic. Can't

You don't have kintir and yet you Hot for Bantu D. Reer Djibouti are all dhaqanlee dhilos.

Fck off, f'ing guuddan-kiintir obsessed insecure shytstain w/ a dhirreen guskie. Better go look somewhere else for that shyt! Uff!! Reer Djibouti ma gaartid, nacaladyaw baastarka eh.

Apologize to the OP, and return to the rock from which you crawled out of, you utterly mannerless, disgraceful, pitiful, stinking POS.

2 Likes

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2015
fanficgirl:

Thanks for your comment and I'm sorry I don't mean to generalize and I know there is good and bad in every race. About the arrogance thing you mentioned, can you please elaborate.

In this world, there are arrogant cultures and then there are not so arrogant cultures. Somalis are arrogant. Americans are arrogant. Indians are arrogant. Habeshas are arrogant. South Africans are arrogant. Iranians are arrogant. Russians, the Irish, etc, and the list goes on! Idk, from being on here (I've only met one Nigerian in my life, and he fits this description as well), Nigerians are a more easygoing, mild-mannered bunch, and more accepting of others. Not everyone in this world is so accepting. When you meet people who're giving you shyt from these arrogant-type cultures, you have to fight fire with fire. It's as simple as that. Don't take anything lying down. It's viewed as weakness.

3 Likes

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Puntite: 3:09am On Dec 24, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

In this world, there are arrogant cultures and then there are not so arrogant cultures. Somalis are arrogant. Americans are arrogant. Indians are arrogant. Habeshas are arrogant. South Africans are arrogant. Iranians are arrogant. Russians, the Irish, etc, and the list goes on! Idk, from being on here (I've only met one Nigerian in my life, and he fits this description as well), Nigerians are a more easygoing, mild-mannered bunch, and more accepting of others. Not everyone in this world is so accepting. When you meet people who're giving you shyt from these arrogant-type cultures, you have to fight fire with fire. It's as simple as that. Don't take anything lying down. It's viewed as weakness.

Look at this bootlicking going on Nigerians are easy going?

They go around and call African Americans akatas and look down on them.

I don't get it because to me there is no difference between them they are both adoons who suffer from Ebola syphilis.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Puntite: 3:14am On Dec 24, 2015
OP my advise to you and your banana munching, tree swinging, marathon running nigger people. Smell the fart of a Somali person it will cure from Aids and Ebola.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by kleek: 11:31am On Dec 24, 2015
If there is a race stupider than regular blacks it is east African blacks. They have the lowest IQ's in the world, and the smallest brains.

The Cushite is the devolved form of the Arab.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by kleek: 11:33am On Dec 24, 2015
Puntite:

Agreed 100%.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by fanficgirl(f): 7:39am On Dec 27, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Thanks I understand though to be honest but Nigerians are incredibly arrogant..
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by ChinonsoDike2: 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2015
No black country has earned the right to be arrogant. Somalia is the crappiest of crap-holes. They're a good example of why blacks don't deserve countries. Somalia has been starving since my father was a child. What a waste of landmass. Africa should have been made a giant golf-course. Low IQ populations don't deserve countries.

1 Like

Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Puntite: 3:40am On Dec 29, 2015
kleek:
Agreed 100%.

See! Someone agrees.
Re: Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? by Rivertemz: 10:00pm On Aug 18, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

This was a VERY good responce, I commend your point of view as it lets me know there are Somalis on this site that talk agaisnt the trollism that nairaland has been experiencing from a one-man army (aka Ajuran and under other troll names).

Its quite obvious that our Nairaland Mods still show no care for these racial insults & violating several of the site rules from that somali individual, especially in our culture subforum.
It seems our particular mod Fulaman198, has grown a liking for this somali troll (due to the fact that the troll compliment the Mod's fulani background) The Mod has refused to ban and delete his threads even when he's been prompted by a dozen other people about this same troll !

Hopefully this changes, so people on here won't grow to hate somali people they barely know about culturally.

(1) (Reply)

Ochichi: A Possible Example Of 'igbonization' In The Etche-ikwerre Area? / Kegite Club: Introduce Yasef Via Ur Numencleture, Ilya & Kariability / Igbos Have No King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.