Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,213 members, 7,807,731 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied (1752 Views)

Woman Tries To Board Plane With Her Peacock But Gets Denied (photos/video) / UK Grandmother Laments After Her Younger Nigerian Husband Is Denied Visa. Photos / Accident Victim Takes A Selfie At The Scene Posts It On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by saintdeby(m): 3:35am On Dec 17, 2015
Perhaps it’s time to be a little more careful with how you use social media. Social media is already influencing job search in some countries but in the coming year, your social media posts may influence your US visa application.
According to the the Wall Street Journal, the US Department of Homeland Security is already set to put into place protocols to examine how visa applicants use the social media. This means your posts on Facebook, Twitter and other social networks may get your visa application approved or denied. Under this new policy, checking an applicant’s posts on Facebook and Twitter may become standard for visa application.
This is obviously driven by the recent San Bernardino shooting where one of the attackers had already made use of social media to express her support for extremism. Most of these social media posts were made before she even applied for the US visa and a simple background check on social media activities probably would’ve prevented her entry to the US in the first place.
A statement sent to Business Insider by the Department of State Security said:
“ In fact, over the last year, under Secretary Johnson’s leadership, the Department initiated three pilot programs to specifically incorporate appropriate social media review into its vetting of applicants for certain immigration benefits.
The Department is actively considering additional ways to incorporate the use of social media review in its various vetting programs.
There isn’t much much information on this right now and the DHS is keeping a lid on how the plan is going to be carried out but given the present situation, getting into the US is going to be a lot harder. What you consider a normal Facebook post might raise a red flag.
As an individual, perhaps it’s time to be more careful on social media. Your posts on Facebook and Twitter may later affect you. Even the kind of videos you put up on Youtube should be decent.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn

1 Like

Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by princeFAD: 3:37am On Dec 17, 2015
informative. front page material
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Nobody: 3:38am On Dec 17, 2015
undecided na true?
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by balash(m): 3:45am On Dec 17, 2015
Ha!!
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Emac34: 3:55am On Dec 17, 2015
irunooboo:
undecided na true?
U neva sleep
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Nobody: 4:10am On Dec 17, 2015
Emac34:

U neva sleep

Cold dey na

1 Like

Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 4:12am On Dec 17, 2015
It won't work as they(TERRORIST) will also stop making their intentions know on social media.undecided
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by MinorityTribe: 4:16am On Dec 17, 2015
For those hunting for US visa praise the US only and lick their butt on Facebook. As for me that don't give a fvck about the US i will continue criticizing their stuppid foreign policies.
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by opalu: 4:35am On Dec 17, 2015
Hmmm. Anything is possible
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by DaBullIT(m): 4:49am On Dec 17, 2015
Dem no see you

Dem no send you

MinorityTribe:
For those hunting for US visa praise the US only and lick their butt on Facebook. As for me that don't give a fvck about the US i will continue criticizing their stuppid foreign policies.

1 Like

Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Babe2sure(f): 5:00am On Dec 17, 2015
ADENIKETINA2015:
It won't work as they(TERRORIST) will also stop making their intentions know on social media.undecided

It will work to an extent because some people don't give a damn, they will still go ahead to express their opinion on issues or state their ideologies.
And some, you can get a clue from what they post even though they are not explicit about it.
Old posts will also reveal some people's identity.
Psychologists may likely be among people who will be checking that, you know.....
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Charliewyt: 5:12am On Dec 17, 2015
Like say i wan go US b4?,

Dis one no mean say i support ppl wey dey post yeye tins Ooo.

Me na naija here i go dey hussle
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Burger01(m): 5:40am On Dec 17, 2015
smiley
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Nobody: 5:44am On Dec 17, 2015
That's would be nice, I hope Nigeria is learnig how to curb rising insecurity no place is to small to mount ur road block, be it 2go or twitter et al.
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Emac34: 7:23am On Dec 17, 2015
irunooboo:

Cold dey na
U want a masach
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Donkaz(m): 8:25am On Dec 17, 2015
Wetin concern me
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Ximonak: 9:11am On Dec 17, 2015
Right from time I have always guarded and preaches to friends against browsing,liking or joining and group that displays explicit contents, hate groups even some of those relationship pages that are extremes.

Why?

You have your Full name, Pictures, your family, friends also, inbox(unclad pix, secret messages etc) while some people live in FB...
Then imagine if I am your boss decided to check for your name and check your past records

Solutions:
To to privacy settings and set criteria to your time line, post people can see, friend-tag options etc

Both for those that just use it remember birthdays you are a bit safe
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Eleniyan15: 9:54pm On Dec 20, 2015
All nah wash
Re: Your Facebook Posts May Get Your US Visa Application Denied by Lexusgs430: 10:36pm On Dec 20, 2015
Who cares about USA? They should stick their country, where the sun don't shine!!!

(1) (Reply)

My Failed Travel Ordeal, Pain And Confusion / Which African Country Would You Like To Marry From? / Stunning Beautiful Pictures Of Ibadan. Biggest City In West Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.