Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,759 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. (1585 Views)

The Server The Document Is Stored On May Not Be Responding. / Is Data Science Worth It In Nigeria / A Look Inside Facebook's Data Center : Where All Your Data Is Stored (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by HCpaul(m): 8:10am On Dec 17, 2015
Please provide a concrete insights.
Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by Unionised(m): 8:12am On Dec 17, 2015
I suspect you know the answer to that...

Why do we store rice instead of jollof rice?

Why do we store flour instead of bread?

Why do we store yam instead of pounded yam?

Why do we store data instead of information?

Because we cook data to form information.

Building blocks....

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by HCpaul(m): 8:15am On Dec 17, 2015
Unionised:
Am not doing this for myself but for a student.

I only need a statistical response.
Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by xreal: 8:16am On Dec 17, 2015
Unionised:

Building blocks....

simple, thanks.
Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by xreal: 8:17am On Dec 17, 2015
Unionised:

Building blocks....

simple, thanks.

Data is a raw fact, it becomes information after been processed.
Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by HCpaul(m): 8:22am On Dec 17, 2015
xreal:

simple, thanks.
Data is a raw fact, it becomes information after been processed.
I need a scientific response. Is like you don't understand my question.
Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by xreal: 8:41am On Dec 17, 2015
HCpaul:

I need a scientific response.
Is like you don't understand my question.

ok, sorry.
Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by Craigston: 12:18pm On Dec 17, 2015
HCpaul:

I need a scientific response.
Is like you don't understand my question.
What you consider to be data might be information to someone else.
You store data in order to process it and make sense of it. Information is the result you get. This holds true in the context in which you use the data. The meaning you get is the information. Hence, information is not as tangible as data.
You may argue that the information gotten may be printed or output in a form you can understand. But if you don't understand it, it remains data - only a bit processed. Processing of data can occur in stages and can be said to be complete only when a clear meaning can be deduced from it. This deduced meaning is information and is present in your mind. Whatever you look at or go to for that information is data. These data can be stored, but not the information.
If you try to express information in any physical medium, it becomes data. From it, one can deduce your thought and what he infers is information to him.
You store data externally (or internally, that is memorization) and store/understand information internally.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by HCpaul(m): 10:11pm On Dec 18, 2015
Craigston:

What you consider to be data might be information to someone else.
You store data in order to process it and make sense of it. Information is the result you get. This holds true in the context in which you use the data. The meaning you get is the information. Hence, information is not as tangible as data.
You may argue that the information gotten may be printed or output in a form you can understand. But if you don't understand it, it remains data - only a bit processed. Processing of data can occur in stages and can be said to be complete only when a clear meaning can be deduced from it. This deduced meaning is information and is present in your mind. Whatever you look at or go to for that information is data. These data can be stored, but not the information.
If you try to express information in any physical medium, it becomes data. From it, one can deduce your thought and what he infers is information to him.
You store data externally (or internally, that is memorization) and store/understand information internally.

I will give you my sister for that.

U really did a great job.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by Craigston: 11:32pm On Dec 18, 2015
HCpaul:

I will give you my sister for that.

U really did a great job.

Hehehehehe. Season's greeting to her and to you too. Just give me the chicken on Christmas.
Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by Sibrah: 12:42am On Dec 20, 2015
If I have a table of newly captured banking transactions like all deposits over 6 months with each transaction date, time, authoring user, and amount, I consider it info that can be processed to reveal data on the best time of the month with more deposits, most active bank users and workers, or even most active branch for deposits. I could in turn process the newly inferred info to give a new data like report on likely potential market, recommend staff for bonus based on most active etc they are relative.
For example 0 and 1, the most basic form of info accumulate to give data in a database.
Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by tipwill(m): 6:30pm On Dec 22, 2015
data is just strings of binary digits (0s and 1s).. that is the only form in which a computer can store whatever is in its memory. Information is when u 'make sense' of the data. Of course the (0s and 1s) could be a video, picture, document, music etc. which are the information from d data.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Data Stored And Not Information. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 23, 2015
Data forms Information, it would be more cost effective if the database stores data rather than information.
If you study carefully the tabular structure of a database such as Mysql, you will notice that is contains columns and rows, this is actually used to store mostly unique attributes as well common attributes of an entity.
Such data can be used to generate useful information and also reduces complexity of maintaining the Database.

(1) (Reply)

How To Counter A Hack / Selling Amazon AWS $150 Promo Code. / My First Program As A Beginner In Python Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.