Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) (16276 Views)

When Tears Brings Yes ( A Short Story) / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Tears Of A Soldier............ A Military War Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) by Mrvirus6(m): 4:12pm On May 22, 2016
LarrySun:
Thank you so much, sir. I promise to handle my pens better.
You are the Best larrysun
Re: Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) by olanshile2016(m): 9:43am On Jul 19, 2016
nice one again bro
Re: Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) by Barnalanto: 9:27am On Aug 06, 2016
SUGARBEE:
Larrysun.. waiting
you're really gifted bro,
keep it up and may God increase your anointing and also more insight.

#KUDOS TO YOU
Re: Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) by mollusco: 11:53am On Aug 12, 2016
LarrySun:
Author's Note: Like An Ace for Oscar, which won the second position in the Mobile Bookshelf Writing Competition, this story also won the second position in the OkadaBooks Short Story Writing Competition.

You can read An Ace for Oscar here: https://www.nairaland.com/2765224/ace-oscar

I didn't get how to post on Nairaland again. Help me move this to new post.

This, Dami, is my second novel!

Prologue.

Mrs Isabel Barrimade was annoyed when she entered the room. In fact, she was annoyed beyond reason, her body convulsing with the effort she was making to suppress the anger that was leading her legs in the direction of the bed.

The time was - she looked at her wristwatch - 8:23. Which man that favoured a honest day work would still be sleeping at that God's glorious hour? Indeed, she was ready to concede the point that any man could sleep to any length as long as it did not impede her in her earning her honest day's pay.

8:23... 8:24, now!

But, it was obvious, wasn't it? It was obvious that Col. Regis Aikins was bent on dragging her work beyond the necessary hour, impeding her - an honorable widow - in her effort to make the day pay. The colonel was sleeping like one who had no cause to be worried about missing the opportunities inherent in the day, sleeping the sleep of the dead!

Mrs. Isabel Barrimade hastened to the side of the bed, deftly skirting the stool that was initially in her path of way, and gave the colonel, her boss, a not-too-gentle wallop on the shoulder.

"Be getting up now, sir," she said, her face reddening perceptibly in fury. "Why! It's plumb past eight and I be needing to straighten this here room."

Colonel Aikins favoured her not with a slight shake of the body, a rustling of the bedspread, a twinkle of the left eye (to put her in the mind that it was all a joke, after all) or even a yawn, that most fundamental of all indications that one woke in good health. Col. Aikins favoured her with cloying indifference. It pushed her fury almost to the point of outrage.

"Colonel!" She shrieked as she gave him another wallop. "Won't you be getting up this minute? I need to be about my duties."

The noise she made should have woken the dead. Colonel Aikins was not even bothered.

Two particular facts ought to have penetrated Mrs. Barrimade's fury: Col. Aikins never woke later than Seven a.m (this fact she could have attested to in her milder periods) nor would he have continued sleeping if someone stepped into his room.

Colonel Regis Aikins did not respond to the freakish, shrieking entreaties of Mrs. Barrimade because, in all honesty, he was actually dead.

Chapter One

I was called because they all believed I could solve this riddle. My bank account would bear me witness. My name is Jean. Jean Dimanche Rousseau. I once found a lost dog, a wife that did not want to be found, even a key. In other words, I am in the business of finding.

I was called because they all believed I was the best in the business of finding out the fact, the truth.

And this was my worst case yet!

1 Like

Re: Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) by Eze2000(m): 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2016
mollusco:

I didn't get how to post on Nairaland again. Help me move this to new post.

This, Dami, is my second novel!

Prologue.

Mrs Isabel Barrimade was annoyed when she entered the room. In fact, she was annoyed beyond reason, her body convulsing with the effort she was making to suppress the anger that was leading her legs in the direction of the bed.

The time was - she looked at her wristwatch - 8:23. Which man that favoured a honest day work would still be sleeping at that God's glorious hour? Indeed, she was ready to concede the point that any man could sleep to any length as long as it did not impede her in her earning her honest day's pay.

8:23... 8:24, now!

But, it was obvious, wasn't it? It was obvious that Col. Regis Aikins was bent on dragging her work beyond the necessary hour, impeding her - an honorable widow - in her effort to make the day pay. The colonel was sleeping like one who had no cause to be worried about missing the opportunities inherent in the day, sleeping the sleep of the dead!

Mrs. Isabel Barrimade hastened to the side of the bed, deftly skirting the stool that was initially in her path of way, and gave the colonel, her boss, a not-too-gentle wallop on the shoulder.

"Be getting up now, sir," she said, her face reddening perceptibly in fury. "Why! It's plumb past eight and I be needing to straighten this here room."

Colonel Aikins favoured her not with a slight shake of the body, a rustling of the bedspread, a twinkle of the left eye (to put her in the mind that it was all a joke, after all) or even a yawn, that most fundamental of all indications that one woke in good health. Col. Aikins favoured her with cloying indifference. It pushed her fury almost to the point of outrage.

"Colonel!" She shrieked as she gave him another wallop. "Won't you be getting up this minute? I need to be about my duties."

The noise she made should have woken the dead. Colonel Aikins was not even bothered.

Two particular facts ought to have penetrated Mrs. Barrimade's fury: Col. Aikins never woke later than Seven a.m (this fact she could have attested to in her milder periods) nor would he have continued sleeping if someone stepped into his room.

Colonel Regis Aikins did not respond to the freakish, shrieking entreaties of Mrs. Barrimade because, in all honesty, he was actually dead.

Chapter One

I was called because they all believed I could solve this riddle. My bank account would bear me witness. My name is Jean. Jean Dimanche Rousseau. I once found a lost dog, a wife that did not want to be found, even a key. In other words, I am in the business of finding.

I was called because they all believed I was the best in the business of finding out the fact, the truth.

And this was my worst case yet!

I am Eze2000 author of Duty Diamonds of Book Haram & Ruthless Betrayals.

I follow this Babylon tale well and love which is how I saw your post.

what is the name/title of your story? if u had put it done u would have found it in a new thread by now. I would have done it for u.
Re: Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) by yorhmienerd(m): 7:01am On Aug 26, 2016
Huh nice one
Re: Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 3:41pm On Jul 29, 2020
http://writertainpublishers.com/?p=2301

Guys, click on the link to vote for LarrySun as the best writer in this year's Nairaland writer's award..
Let's show him love and support,we can do this..

#TeamLarrysun

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Strongest Villian In Naruto (Manga)? / My World - Jflash / Power Of Love: A True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.