Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,844 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:09 AM

Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? (2230 Views)

Poll: Who will play Martin Luther King better?

Jeffrey Wright: 0% (0 votes)
Laurence Fishbourne: 100% (3 votes)
Dennis Haysbert: 0% (0 votes)
Dule Hill: 0% (0 votes)
Chiwetel Ejiofor: 0% (0 votes)
Jammie Foxx: 0% (0 votes)
Cleavant Derricks: 0% (0 votes)
Derek Luke: 0% (0 votes)
Laz Alonzo: 0% (0 votes)
Paul Winfield: 0% (0 votes)
Nate parker: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Martin Onovo On Sunrisedailynow: Presenters Taken To The Cleaners / Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King / Watch The Trailer Of Ghetto Dreamz, The Biopic On Da Grin [video] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 9:47pm On Jun 07, 2009
The director shortlisted 11 big names but they need only one. Jammie Foxx wants the role badly but I think Laurence Fishbourne is the best man for the job just that he is older. Whom do you think will play Martin Luther King very well and match his physique too?

King Casting Call
Any black actor chosen to play Martin Luther King Jr. in the upcoming big screen biopic will have some pretty big shoes to fill. Rumor has it that Jamie Foxx wants the part, but The Root has other actors in mind. Take a look at our veteran and rookie picks and tell us who you think should be King.

1. Jeffrey Wright

In our minds, the quintessential King reprisal came by way of veteran actor Jeffrey Wright in the film Boycott. Wright's hue might be off. But The Root is above discrimination based on color, class or creed. There's no doubting this man's acting abilities.

2. Laurence Fishburne

Laurence Fishburne has a knack for portraying historical figures. He's mastered classics such as Shakespeare's Othello and did more than justice to Thurgood on Broadway. Fishburne possesses the poise and elocution to keep us hanging on to every dream, speech and sermon in the biopic. 

3. Dennis Haysbert

Before Barack, Dennis Haysbert gave us hope with his portrayal of President David Palmer on the action-packed series 24. Haysbert's gentle eyes and commanding baritone befit the hero image that an audience would expect of King; the fearless leader who can inspire us to boycott ,  or buy insurance.

4. Dule Hill

Trained actor and tap dancer Dule Hill went from Savion Glover's understudy on Broadway to serving as the straight man to a pseudo-psychic crime solver on the USA series Psych. We're ready to see him finally take the lead. And Hill's positioning as a virtual unknown could work in his favor, giving viewers a chance see King anew.

5. Cleavant Derricks

Cleavant Derricks may have a natural pedigree for the role of King. The familiar character actor, seen in countless television and on-stage productions from Miami Vice to The Bernie Mac Show, was born in Memphis, Tenn. where King died and his father, like King's father, was a Baptist clergyman. The similarities in background and Derricks' physical resemblance to King should keep him in the running

6. Laz Alonso

Don't let Laz Alonso's good looks fool you. There's a somber soul and intensity behind that pretty-boy smile. They were hard to find in the limited plotlines of Stomp the Yard and Fast & Furious, but Alonso's performances in Jarhead and Miracle at St. Anna reveal the quiet strength needed to convey King's struggle.

7 Derek Luke

Producers should also check out another Miracle at St. Anna star, Derek Luke. He's best known for his starring role in Antwone Fisher. Sadly, his more recent turn as Sean "P. Diddy" Combs in Notorious could haunt him for the rest of his days ,  unless he plays King. Luke's clean, choir-boy looks will get him in the casting-call door, but his acting chops could make him a standout. The defiant dignity he's displayed in past roles is perfect for scenes of civil disobedience.

8. Nate Parker

In The Great Debaters and The Secret Life of Bees, Nate Parker's youthful, yet soulful eyes pulled us in to America's troubled history. He can bend our emotions with the best of 'em. In the same way that King's cries for freedom could be heard from molehills to mountaintops, Parker has shown a knack for piercing speeches and professions of love. He may be the one to convince us that we are free at last. 

9. Chiwetel Ejiofor

London native Chiwetel Ejiofor looks nothing like King, but his acting prowess could convince us that he's the Queen of England. Taking on a wide range of roles in films like Dirty Pretty Things, Kinky Boots and Children of Men, Ejiofor charms us effortlessly. His innocent eyes and furtive looks hint at a hidden vulnerability, the kind needed to portray one man's complex struggle for equality.

10. Paul Winfield

Yes, we know he died in 2004, but no one could match King's gravitas like Paul Winfield who played him in King, the 1978 television miniseries. Were he still alive, Winfield would be too old to pull off King in his younger years, but he would no doubt anchor this contemporary role with the same intensity delivered in historic dramas such as Roots and Alex Haley's Queen. We couldn't help giving this acclaimed actor a posthumous nod for the part.

11. Jamie Foxx

We loved him as Ray, and he made a fine Soloist. But as King? Eh, not so much. What do you think? 
http://www.theroot.com/multimedia/king-casting-call/?gt1=38002
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by maedan(f): 11:25am On Jun 08, 2009
Hmmn. I've had an utter crush on Lawrence Fishburne for ever tongue kiss, and he's the strongest contender on that list, to me. I saw him first when he played Ike Turner in What's Love Got To Do With It, and then in Hoodlum, he was HOTTT! He was great too in Assault on Precinct 13, etc. In short, he's got the personality to play a leader. But I think he will overshadow the role. One person who actually looks like Martin Luther but is not on that list, is EDDIE MURPHY. I would have liked him for the role, but I guess he's not in contention at all tongue. I think some serious auditioning of everyone and anyone who's interested in the role should be undertaken. wink
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 10:10am On Jun 09, 2009
But he wouldn't fit into the role age wise?. Jammie Foxx is the right guy to pull it off but he doesn't have that appealing charisma in speech. I wonder why they didn't include Will Smith or Blair Underwood?.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by maedan(f): 12:40pm On Jun 09, 2009
^^^Jamie Foxx? Haha, the guy's good, but we're talking big-time here. Will Smith? Oh please! The movie will flop! As for Blair Underwood, I'm sure you're just being kind by mentioning him. But now that I think of it, noone mentioned Cuba Gooding Jnr; now that's a man who can pull this off, with the proper direction. Apart from Eddie Murphy, this is one guy that I think resembles King, and who has the charisma. IMO anyway.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 09, 2009
i am surprised that Jamie Foxx(or Will Smith) was mentioned. he doesnt remotely look the part. an older guy will be fit for the role. i mean look at any picture of MLK and then look at him. i know the make up artist these days are doing breathtaking jobs but come on.
at least if Jamie get the role, the movie will pull major Hollywood star power and.

I would say Jeffrey Wright/Lawrence Fishburne definitely and closely followed by Dennis Haysbert, Derek Luke or Paul Winsfield . they would pull it off greatly.

Spielberg and Dreamwork got the deal to shoot that movie but there is no confirmation if he will direct it or not.
directed by Spielberg?! or directed by Spike Lee damn!!!!!!
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 09, 2009
by the way, what about [b]Cuba Gooding jr [/b]or [b]Terrence Howard [/b]as MLK jr?!
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by spikedcylinder: 2:45pm On Jun 09, 2009
Will Smith ke? You people should not make me puke o!
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 4:25pm On Jun 09, 2009

Will Smith ke? You people should not make me puke o!

Wetin Will Smith do una?. He pulled off Mohammed Ali, pulled of [what's his name] in the pursuit of happiness. Why can't he pull of MLK and his age now is about the same with MLK before his date. He may need to add some weight though.

^^^Jamie Foxx? Haha, the guy's good, but we're talking big-time here. Will Smith? Oh please! The movie will flop! As for Blair Underwood, I'm sure you're just being kind by mentioning him. But now that I think of it, noone mentioned Cuba Gooding Jnr; now that's a man who can pull this off, with the proper direction. Apart from Eddie Murphy, this is one guy that I think resembles King, and who has the charisma. IMO anyway.
wink wink Someborry is in love. Blair has a flair for public speaking, he wouldn't need much make up because of his skin colour etc.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 4:26pm On Jun 09, 2009

I would say Jeffrey Wright/Lawrence Fishburne definitely and closely followed by Dennis Haysbert, Derek Luke or Paul Winsfield . they would pull it off greatly.
Derek Luke?. Dude will flop the movie real bad.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by maedan(f): 4:29pm On Jun 09, 2009
@ Mrbrownjay,

God will bless you, I meant to say Terrence Howard, not Cuba Gooding Jnr whom I mentioned earlier, would fit the role. In fact, Terrence is the best choice, with or without that list. I can already see it in my mind's eye: the guy would make it work. MLK Jnr was not so dark, so they need a light skinned actor anyway. He already has some good movies under his belt; they need to give him this big break. Will Smith did Muhammad Ali, Jamie Foxx had Ray Charles, even Denzel had Malcom X. I think it's Terrence Howard's turn to shine.

As for Will Smith, brotha please. Add weight or not, this gig is not for him. And did he really pull off Ali? Naah.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 4:32pm On Jun 09, 2009
maedan:

@ Mrbrownjay,

God will bless you, I meant to say Terrence Howard, not Cuba Gooding Jnr whom I mentioned earlier, would fit the role. In fact, Terrence is the best choice, with or without that list. I can already see it in my mind's eye: the guy would make it work. MLK Jnr was not so dark, so they need a light skinned actor anyway. He already has some good movies under his belt; they need to give him this big break. Will Smith did Muhammad Ali, Jamie Foxx had Ray Charles, even Denzel had Malcom X. I think it's Terrence Howard's turn to shine.

As for Will Smith, brotha please. Add weight or not, this gig is not for him. And did he really pull off Ali? Naah.
Is movie making now a national cake?  grin grin. We need a negro looking actor to pull it off than a biracial one. No to Terrence, yes to Will Smith. Instead they will use Terrence, let them come here and take baba Suwe or Hakeem Rahman.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by maedan(f): 5:19pm On Jun 09, 2009
Terrence is light-skinned, not mixed race, I don't think. Anyway, talk true, Will Smith did not resemble Muhammad Ali one bit. In fact, it still pains me that they used him for that.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 09, 2009
lets have a look, my money is definitely on any of these 6 (Derek Luke look kinda young but make up can fix that)

Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 6:44pm On Jun 09, 2009
I will go with Cuban from the list above although he behaves like mumu with down syndrome sometimes and lacks that Obama like speaking eloquence and charisma which is what is needed in this picture.

Will

Blair Underwood
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by maedan(f): 7:47pm On Jun 09, 2009
Thank you both for all the pix, it has thrown more light on the topic wink. I now maintain that Terrence Howard and Cuba Gooding are the right age and have the looks for the role. Aloy.Emeka, I agree with u about Cuba, there's something v.funny about him sometimes, he's not my favourite black actor but e dey try. Unfortunately, neither of them were on ur list. This Hollywood sef, noone can understand how they reason. But to be nationalistic, I think I would like the Nigerian on the list to have a shot(Chiweterl Ejiofor)/. Imagine a Nigerian acting as MLK. Noone go hear word again. grin
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 8:05pm On Jun 09, 2009
If Chiwetel is an American citizen, he may get a chance but there is no way they will pick a British man to do this job. I doubt it.

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Dule Hill
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 8:10pm On Jun 09, 2009

Jammie Foxx

Hill Harper[Obama's Harvard classmate: His age is right too and he is a very eloquent actor]
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by maedan(f): 8:21pm On Jun 09, 2009
^^^^ Ah, but Aloy.Emeka, u are wicked o cheesy. You know all these guys u posted above don't stand a chance. Obama classmate or not, lol. In the end, if there is really going to be a MLK movie, it will be someone with a lot of movie credits to his belt, respectable movies. But na dem know grin. If they ask me, I'll say Terrence Howard. I fit manage Cuba Gooding but anyone else, then I won't be watching. wink
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 9:27pm On Jun 09, 2009
I fit manage Cuba Gooding but anyone else, then I won't be watching.
Dem fit choose me nah. You no go watch?. Who will play as his mistress because he had one?
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by Nobody: 5:13am On Jun 10, 2009
actually this is very interesting, i put that photo up to see which one might look like the real deal.
of course there needs to be an actor that can deliver as well. Cuba Gooding hasnt really got what it takes to pull it off but, lets be honest for a minute,(as much as i hate to say it) if someone CAN mimic all MLK facial expressions, the voice and the posture then that will have to be Jamie Foxx. the job he did on Ray was unbelievable. i think that his stand up comedy background and ability to get into character will get him the part (the rest will be improved by make up artists and effects)
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 10:46am On Jun 10, 2009
Yeah; he did a great job in Ray. He once again showed his expertise when he did another great job romancing Halle Berry.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 10, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

He once again showed his expertise when he did another great job romancing  Halle Berry.

i think that was just a publicity stunt to make the tabloids keep their names hot in their newspapers.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 10:55pm On Jun 11, 2009
Ok
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by maedan(f): 12:03am On Jun 12, 2009
@ Aloy.Emeka

choose you abi? See you grin. I thought we were discussing something serious here. If you want to act the part of MLK, that means that when they do an Obama movie in future, I get to play Michelle Obama tongue.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by AloyEmeka9: 4:31pm On Jun 12, 2009
You no wan choose your brother abi?. You wan choose Laurence fish abi na meat bourne but not Emeka 1. I sabi act pass Denzel washington oh.
Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by itstpia8: 7:25pm On Oct 31, 2015
Dule Hill is not really unknown, he just does things low key.

I havent actually watched him in anything besides Holes however.

this was him in the movie:

Re: Who Do U Want To Play Martin Luther King In The New Biopic? by itstpia8: 7:30pm On Oct 31, 2015
topic

david oyelowo eventually got the role i think.

if you are referring to the movie from one or two years ago.

(1) (Reply)

Infinity Television Is Organizing A Promo / Watch Beyond Conspiracy [part 1 & 2] Starring Van Vicker, Ini Edo & Tonto Dikeh / 9ice To Debut In A New Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.