Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group (903 Views)

Shi’ites/soldiers Clash: We’ve No Apology – Army / Lagos State Website Hacked, Shi’ites Leave Message For FG / Shi’ites: El-zakzaky’s Followers List 5 Conditions For Peace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by Zhulfiqar1: 6:13pm On Dec 19, 2015
December 19, 2015 Premium Times

Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky

A non-governmental organisation, Access to Justice, has alleged that the Nigerian Army had a “pre-determined mandate” to attack members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, in Zaria on Saturday.

The deadly clash left scores of the sect’s members dead. The Army claimed the sect made attempt on the life of the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai.

But Access to Justice, during a press conference, addressed by its Director, Joseph Otteh, on Friday in Abuja, said the Army’s claim that the protesters were armed was untrue.

“The response of the Army towards the Shiite protesters was a crime against humanity,” said Mr. Otteh

He, therefore, warned that his organisation would not “hesitate to head for the International Criminal Court, ICC” and insisted that “the Army had a predetermined mandate to do what they did.”

Even as he said the organisation was not in support of blockade of a highway or violent protest by the Shiite Muslim group, Mr Otteh said “the Army lacked constitutional mandate to disperse protests or procession of any kind”‎.

In his view, what the Army ought to have done was to reach out to the police high command in Kaduna State to deploy personnel towards handling the protest.

He said, “The convoy of the Chief of Army Staff could have, in order not to escalate an already violate situation that was unraveling along Zaria Road, chosen another route into Kaduna.

“This would have been a course of action you would expect from a very senior official of government who wants to avoid possible, in fact, likely repercussions of engaging in violent confrontation with the protesters.

“It was reasonably foreseeable that violence can further inflame religious passions which were already very high among members of the Islamic movement, who had already lost many members to military attacks last year and previous years.

“Such confrontation could also trigger a violent blackash and radicalise members of the group in the same way that Boko Haram was transformed after security and law enforcement officials attacked their members and extra judicially executed many of them.

“This history should have figured in how the military chooses to respond to protesters.

“The people of Nigeria have a right to assemble freely, even on public streets. Where protests offend against traffic laws, the protesters should be managed or restrained and if necessary, prosecuted.”

The organisation asked President Muhammadu Buhari to institute a high-powered independent commission of inquiry to unravel the remote and immediate causes of the massacre condemned by United States, United Kingdom, Iran and both chambers of the Nigerian National Assembly.

“Access to Justice demands that a thorough, independent and impartial inquiry be carried out by the Federal Government over this incident.

“It should be noted that this is not the first time the Nigerian Army has attacked members of the sect.

“In July 2014, scores of members of this group, including two sons of Sheik El-Zakzaky were killed by officers of the Nigerian Army as they were holding a peaceful procession along a road.

“Up till this time, the Nigerian government has yet to investigate the incident neither has anyone been brought to account over the attacks,” Mr. Otteh said.

He noted that the failure of government to investigate the 2014 killings may have contributed indirectly to the Saturday incident.

“Where governments do not show serious concern for the safety and integrity of human life and allow security or law enforcement agents to act with impunity, it strengthens the hands and minds of abusers,” he added.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/195424-zaria-massacre-army-had-predetermined-mandate-to-attack-shiites-group.html
Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 19, 2015
But for the pechant of NA to attack civilians, there is no reason for NA to cross the path of security in the country because the already have a handful to grapple with.
Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by xamuel17(m): 6:26pm On Dec 19, 2015
i have a dream that one day the nigerian army will be filled with educated and enlightened individuals and not goons.

well, i see dt my dream coming to pass after RAPTURE
Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by Demmocrats(m): 6:27pm On Dec 19, 2015
Chai!!!
Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by Chubhie: 6:57pm On Dec 19, 2015
The massacre was engineered by PMB,SLS and El rufia while burantashi looked for the flimsiest of excuse to execute. Burantashi and his men did it with precision which resulted in over 1000 dead bodies in broad day light with paparazzi.

More baffling is the sudden deaf and dumb stance of activists,pastors and bishops who used to be vocal. Blood for blood.

2 Likes

Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by Tequilah: 12:00am On Dec 22, 2015
Chubhie:
The massacre was engineered by PMB,SLS and El rufia while burantashi looked for the flimsiest of excuse to execute. Burantashi and his men did it with precision which resulted in over 1000 dead bodies in broad day light with paparazzi.

More baffling is the sudden deaf and dumb stance of activists,pastors and bishops who used to be vocal. Blood for blood.

But why did the Shi'ites refuse to leave the road when the COAS convoy was coming?? sad
Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by Chubhie: 2:15am On Dec 22, 2015
Tequilah:

But why did the Shi'ites refuse to leave the road when the COAS convoy was coming?? sad
Even if the shiites slapped the military,threw stones,urine and shit on them will it justify 1000 dead bodies?

1 Like

Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by yahyus(m): 5:24am On Dec 22, 2015
BUHARI'S SILENT MESSAGE
There are some criticisms on some national dailies and on some Facebook walls about Buhari's feet-dragging in addressing the nation on the Zaria violence. At first, I was on the same page with these calls, but after having a face-to-face 'discussion' with a Shiite friend (a former student of mine) who made some 'revelations' to me, I withdrew from the opinion. I am not justifying the killing of anyone.
From the discussion, he made it clear to me that "Malam" (Ibrahim Zakzaky) and all his followers do not recognise Nigeria as their country and that to them, every Nigerian, who sings the National Anthem and obeys the Nigerian constitution and constituted authorities is an "infidel" (a term commonly used by ISIS and BH). "Our loyalty and allegiance are to "Malam" (who takes orders from Iran only) and not to Nigeria". They do not fly the Nigerian flag; they have theirs.
Little wonder when Zakzaky's house was under siege by the Military, he did not contact any of the Nigerian authorities (Police, SSS or even the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs). He contacted an Iranian official who assured him that he would contact a much higher Iranian authority.This is a clear case of disregard for the sovereignty of Nigeria.
I learnt from that discussion that "Malam" Zakzaky has a Governor in every state of the federation who takes orders from him alone. He has his "ministers" and even an "armed forces" (I watched a video of a "military display" done to "Malam"wink
A people with their "army", anthem, flag, and entirely different political structure have , in my little knowledge of the law, already formed a parallel government in Nigeria. I may be wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by Tequilah: 8:50am On Dec 22, 2015
Chubhie:
Even if the shiites slapped the military,threw stones,urine and shit on them will it justify 1000 dead bodies?

No, it doesn't justify the army's action, but the Shi'ites would have known that their actions would only lead to hostilities. In my view, the army could have used tear gas to disperse them. There was no need to fire live bullets.
Re: Zaria Massacre: Army Had “Predetermined Mandate” To Attack Shi’ites – Group by Chubhie: 10:30am On Dec 22, 2015
Tequilah:

No, it doesn't justify the army's action, but the Shi'ites would have known that their actions would only lead to hostilities. In my view, the army could have used tear gas to disperse them. There was no need to fire live bullets.
Good.

(1) (Reply)

[photos] Today Federal Executive Council Meeting (FEC) / A Bsoldier's Real Life Story About Boko Haram And Nigerian Army / Pakistani Teen Amputates Himself For Blasphemy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.