Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,533 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) (46902 Views)

VIOLENT. The Kingdom Of Heaven Suffers Violence. The Misinterpretation . / Christians,was The Gospel Account Of Matthew Divinely Inspired? / The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by BustScam: 3:02pm On Dec 20, 2015
When I see young people claim to be atheists or something of sort, I do not blame them but blame those preachers who have decided to be teaching is heresy and nothing more.

As I was reading through Nairaland beginning from 1:20pm on my newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5, I observed that many people have misrepresented the scriptures as penned down in Mathew 11:12

Let's see what the scriptures indeed say about it.

Mathew 11:12

KJV:And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

The truth about this verse is simple; it does talk about aggressiveness or violence but it does not in any way talk about it in prayers as we have been told by most preachers.

The verse talks about how many from time past have been violent in preaching the message of the Kingdom of God and not even of Heaven o as some may conclude! The verse talks about how we as CHRISTIANS are supposed to be spread the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs.

The verse has been so misquoted that it is the first thing preachers use when they want to tell you to SHOUT, SCREAM, ROAR with NOISE before God hears you meanwhile the Bible has already stated why God doesn't hear people at times (SIN).

It is therefore imperative that we come to terms about God not being influenced by anyone's loud prayers or screams or shouts PR aggressiveness during prayers! It is unscriptural just like paying tithes to a pastor is for members of the Kingdom of God.

Let me stop writing here while I listen to those I read some comments from on my clean an clear Tecno Phantom 5 mobike phone and birth this Holy Spirit inspired rhema: MizMyColi, tosyne2much, YourMain, chibwike, DonChippy, TedBaker, Rukkydelta, precious91, sunnyclif and others :-)

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 3:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
Okay...are we supposed to start a debate? undecided

I still maintain the point i stated earlier which OP has clearly buttressed.

Pray quietly or get the fvck out of my side. grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
Observing...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Ojestas(m): 3:44pm On Dec 20, 2015
Congrats on your new tecno phantom5

You r asking a favor from God, u r shouting at him. . would u shout on your dad to ask for something or ask gently and politely?? i am sure a father would consider the later.

Well, i am not saying you should not pray aggressively, but not all prayers deserve aggression.

In some churches, if u don't shout, u ain't praying. . WFT !!

As much as i love to pray, i kinda dislike aggressive prayers.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Belexy95: 3:51pm On Dec 20, 2015
Thank u OP! The reason for most misinterpretation of scripture is quoting out of context. That been said, Jesus explained matt 11 vs 12 in the succeeding verse 13. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. Simply, Jesus was addressing d crowd concerning John, because John had sent his disciples to Jesus. Also, He emphasied the fact that John was the first to preach about the kingdom of heaven. All before John only prophesied.

10 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by oyeludef(m): 3:57pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:
When I see young people claim to be atheists or something of sort, I do not blame them but blame those preachers who have decided to be teaching is heresy and nothing more.

As I was reading through Nairaland beginning from 1:20pm on my newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5, I observed that many people have misrepresented the scriptures as penned down in Mathew 11:12

Mathew 11:12

KJV:And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

The truth about this verse is simple; it does talk about aggressiveness or violence but it does not in any way talk about it in prayers as we have been told by most preachers.

The verse talks about how many from time past have been violent in preaching the message of the Kingdom of God and not even of Heaven o as some may conclude! The verse talks about how we as CHRISTIANS are supposed to be spread the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs.

The verse has been so misquoted that it is the first thing preachers use when they want to tell you to SHOUT, SCREAM, ROAR with NOISE before God hears you meanwhile the Bible has already stated why God doesn't hear people at times (SIN).

It is therefore imperative that we come to terms about God not being influenced by anyone's loud prayers or screams or shouts PR aggressiveness during prayers! It is unscriptural just like paying tithes to a pastor is for members of the Kingdom of God.

Let me stop writing here while I listen to those I read some comments from on my clean an clear Tecno Phantom 5 mobike phone and birth this Holy Spirit inspired rhema: MizMyColi, tosyne2much, YourMain, chibwike, DonChippy, TedBaker, Rukkydelta, precious91, sunnyclif and others :-)
God bless you for this insight sir. D spirit of error has really been at work dis days. Another example of a scriptural verse that has been taken out of context is in d book of Isaiah where d Bible says "in d year that king uziah died". After quoting dis portion dey will then lead d congregation to pray that every king uziah in their life should die grin.
There is a difference between the kingdom of God and the Kingdom of heaven. The kingdom of heaven is a place, the kingdom of God is God's government over all His creation. It was John d Baptist that started preaching about the kingdom of God and Jesus Christ continued and brought it to pass. D Kingdom of God is alife amongs us today and it requires a conscious concerted effort to enter into it..
As for payment of tithes, I wonder y u will say it is unscriptural.

19 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Annunaki(m): 4:05pm On Dec 20, 2015
Yeah this is the verse that inspired the aggressive prayer pattern of MFM and it's clearly wrongly interpreted. That is apart from the fact that it goes against Jesus Christ's clear teachings on praying. I once pointed it out to an MFM member who is a friend showing her clear evidence from scriptures that their prayer pattern is wrong, even though she acknowledged the facts I showed her from the bible, she found it difficult to go against her church doctrine on the matter leading me to conclude people are more swayed by what their pastors say rather than what the bible says.

On the issue of tithes, forget it. Even if Jesus Christ were to miraculously appear to whole world and ban church collection of tithes, some pastors will deny/reject him and continue collecting their tithes.

14 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by BustScam: 5:23pm On Dec 20, 2015
Ojestas:
Congrats on your new tecno phantom5

You r asking a favor from God, u r shouting at him. . would u shout on your dad to ask for something or ask gently and politely?? i am sure a father would consider the later.

Well, i am not saying you should not pray aggressively, but not all prayers deserve aggression.

In some churches, if u don't shout, u ain't praying. . WFT !!

As much as i love to pray, i kinda dislike aggressive prayers.

I share part of your stance on this sha...

3 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by BustScam: 5:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
Belexy95:
Thank u OP! The reason for most misinterpretation of scripture is quoting out of context. That been said, Jesus explained matt 11 vs 12 in the succeeding verse 13. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. Simply, Jesus was addressing d crowd concerning John, because John had sent his disciples to Jesus. Also, He emphasied the fact that John was the first to preach about the kingdom of heaven. All before John only prophesied.

Thanks very much AND this is very prevalent these days
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 20, 2015
Lemme Guess, Y'all are catholics

3 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by BustScam: 5:34pm On Dec 20, 2015
oyeludef:
God bless you for this insight sir. D spirit of error has really been at work dis days. Another example of a scriptural verse that has been taken out of context is in d book of Isaiah where d Bible says "in d year that king uziah died". After quoting dis portion dey will then lead d congregation to pray that every king uziah in their life should die grin.
There is a difference between the kingdom of God and the Kingdom of heaven. The kingdom of heaven is a place, the kingdom of God is God's government over all His creation. It was John d Baptist that started preaching about the kingdom of God and Jesus Christ continued and brought it to pass. D Kingdom of God is alife amongs us today and it requires a conscious concerted effort to enter into it..
As for payment of tithes, I wonder y u will say it is unscriptural.

Don't mind those over zealous preachers who are led by entertaining the church...

Concerning the Tithe tingy, lemme say it well!

Who are those who should receive tithes? Levites right? Who are the Levite's? A Tribe in Israel that God didn't give any land sharing right? Is there any Levite today? How come the only place the reference is Malachi 3:10 and it specifically referring to these category he didn't give a land portion to? Also, how come them Paul, Jesus, Peter and all didn't even mention paying tithes or something?

I don't say we shouldn't give o! All I know from the scriptures is giving to thee poor and needy and not some fat bank account men who don't need our money

15 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by BustScam: 5:35pm On Dec 20, 2015
Annunaki:
Yeah this is the verse that inspired the aggressive prayer pattern of MFM and it's clearly wrongly interpreted. That is apart from the fact that it goes against Jesus Christ's clear teachings on praying. I once pointed it out to an MFM member who is a friend showing her clear evidence from scriptures that their prayer pattern is wrong, even though she acknowledged the facts I showed her from the bible, she found it difficult to go against her church doctrine on the matter leading me to conclude people are more swayed by what their pastors say rather than what the bible says.

On the issue of tithes, forget it. Even if Jesus Christ were to miraculously appear to whole world and ban church collection of tithes, some pastors will deny/reject him and continue collecting their tithes.

God bless you and rightly put, we all have failed to learn from the scriptures but from mortal men themselves!

3 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by tosyne2much(m): 6:15pm On Dec 20, 2015
This said statement is wrongly interpreted by many preachers, hence, making them a little bit violent in doing some certain things

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by BustScam: 6:21pm On Dec 20, 2015
tosyne2much:
This said statement is wrongly interpreted by many preachers, hence, making them a little bit violent in doing some certain things

Thanks tosyne2much for dropping by, comments from your thread created earlier today inspired this!

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Yorubago(f): 6:24pm On Dec 20, 2015
OP, Nice input, lalasticlala see this! More people need to know this as it's the cause of the mislead in today's Christianity
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by tosyne2much(m): 6:26pm On Dec 20, 2015
I would really like people to shed more light on this issue

Lalasticlala kindly help us out
cool
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by tosyne2much(m): 6:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:

Thanks tosyne2much for dropping by, comments from your thread created earlier today inspired this!
This has also been getting me confused for a long time

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 20, 2015
Op, thank you!
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 7:38pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:
When I see young people claim to be atheists or something of sort,
I do not blame them but blame those preachers who have decided to be teaching is heresy and nothing more
Well... this is lamentable

BustScam:
We along with you, thank God for small mercies such as the newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5

BustScam:

Mathew 11:12 KJV:
And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

The truth about this verse is simple; it does talk about aggressiveness or violence but it does not in any way talk about it in prayers as we have been told by most preachers
True, it doesnt in any way or have anything to do with prayers, as some, by most preachers are led to believe

BustScam:
The verse talks about how many from time past have been violent in preaching the message of the Kingdom of God and not even of Heaven o as some may conclude! The verse talks about how we as CHRISTIANS are supposed to be spread the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs
Unfortunately this whole statement is inaccurate,
as it isnt about spreading the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs
but rather has more to do about/with, how some, upon hearing the good news of the kingdom of God, are forcibly entering the Kingdom of Heaven

Forcibly entering the Kingdom of Heaven, as in or because the gate is narrow (i.e. Matthew 7:13-14)

13"You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate.
The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way.

14But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it
- Matthew 7:13-14

BustScam:
The verse has been so misquoted that it is the first thing preachers use when they want to tell you to SHOUT, SCREAM, ROAR with NOISE before God hears you meanwhile the Bible has already stated why God doesn't hear people at times (SIN)
Though you have good intentions in bringing attention to the misinterpreted verse
and highlighting the eisegesis perpetrated with this verse by ignorant and/or unscrupulous preachers, pastors etcetera,
you too have slipped on the banana skin and fallen victim to misinterpreting the verse

BustScam:
It is therefore imperative that we come to terms about God not being influenced by anyone's loud prayers or screams or shouts PR aggressiveness during prayers!
Very disrespectul isnt it?
Apart from babies, would an earthly father/mother be swayed or influenced by loud talk, screams, shouts, display of militant aggressiveness etcetera when having conversations, dialogues, exchanges, discussions or mitigations with his/her kid(s)?

BustScam:
It is unscriptural just like paying tithes to a pastor is for members of the Kingdom of God
The Siege of Jerusalem in the year 70 AD was the death of tithing and the destruction of the temple put the last nail in the tithing coffin.
Obligatory tithing, resurrected tithing, tithing-under-any-form-of-disguise is tantamount to extortion

BustScam:
Let me end with providing the witness scripture (i.e. Luke 16:16) that not only backs Mathew 11:12 up
but also puts Mathew 11:12 into perspective (i.e. Luke 16:16 makes the gist in Mathew 11:12 clearer)

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence,
and the violent take it by force.

- Mathew 11:12

"Moses' Teachings and the Prophets were [in force] until the time of John.
Since that time, people have been telling the Good News about the kingdom of God,
and everyone is trying to force their way into it

- Luke 16:16

"Until John the Baptist, the law of Moses and the messages of the prophets were your guides.
But now the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is eager to get in
- Luke 16:16

''Suffereth'' in Mathew 11:12 means tolerated, allowed, permitted
and the ''violence'' in Mathew 11:12 DOES NOT mean behaviour involving physical force with intention to hurt, damage, kill or be destructive
but rather eagerness to push in, to press in etcetera through the ''narrow gate'' in order to gain access into entering the Kingdom of Heaven

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Demmocrats(m): 7:45pm On Dec 20, 2015

You are a million times correct.

Kudos and enjoy your new phone but it sounded like you have pride which is buried deep in you, when you mentioned the phone which is among the 7 deadly SIN in medieval times.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by menix(m): 7:45pm On Dec 20, 2015
End Time Ministry Inc.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by kylekent55: 7:46pm On Dec 20, 2015
I am a Christian and I am proud to be a Christian. I love my fellow nairalanders because they are all good and nice. Christianity is the true teaching of christ. JESUS!!!!
Click like for JESUS

25 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by cold(m): 7:46pm On Dec 20, 2015
Hmm
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by AmakaDNBStories(f): 7:47pm On Dec 20, 2015
Ok
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:48pm On Dec 20, 2015
grin grin
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 20, 2015
grin
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by ksstroud: 7:48pm On Dec 20, 2015
You just acquired Tecno phantom 5 ,we don hear... So if you now acquire iPhone6 Plus, guess tis CNN you go start preaching

4 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Kenny4lyfe(m): 7:49pm On Dec 20, 2015
Read my quote below to see the real reason why many turn to atheism!..

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by sukkot: 7:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
even you yourself dont know the meaning of that verse OP. you are wayy offf in what it means

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by abitex577(m): 7:51pm On Dec 20, 2015
@Op, please don't just quote a verse of the scripture and draw up a conclusion, I advise even that particular scripture you should refer to other versions of Bible like New Living Translation, NIV, Message etc and above all ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. Mathew 11 shows how John the Baptist was put in prision for correcting Herod, and Christ actually testified of the personality of who John was and also reflected how the Kingdom of God is being attacked violently and only the violent/resolute/aggressive christian can make impact (John 11:12). Have asked yourself why on the eve of Christ arrest and crucifixion while he was praying in the garden of Gethsemane, His sweat was like blood? Do you think, someone praying quietly will be sweating and His sweat will be like blood?

9 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by BTT(m): 7:57pm On Dec 20, 2015
There sha is violence. Shikena

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reverend Sister's Dance Video Goes Viral / Dami Mike-Bamiloye: Emmanuela Sent Message On Facebook To Me, Now She’s My Wife / Is It A Sin For Married Couples To Use Condoms?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.