Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,710 members, 7,805,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? (56409 Views)

How To Make Money Drop Shipping/importing From Nigeria Without Capital / Which Other Business Can You Do Than Buying Real Estate / China To Start Importing From Nigeria - Emefiele, CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by menxer: 8:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
muhammed001:

Thank you for your comment sir.

I normally us 24 hours shipping to lagos.

And you expect it to be cheap?

Why not look for shipping options that would reduce cost though it takes a few more days?

2 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by engrshakespeare: 8:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
skentelelady:

Are you looking fr the way to make profit or looking fr the way to antagonise all solutions because I can see u go against all alternatives here?

I don't think I need to b here

Good day

This your style of escaping no make sense. If u don't want to expose ur bizness secret or u want him to pay for d info just say so

15 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by scachy(m): 8:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
MRBrownJ:

if China good is indeed cheaper in Lagos then someone is making a profit by importing it from China (unless you think people in Lagos are selling at a loss?)....so, importing from China IS profitable, you just need to have the right connection.

the problem here is that:
A) there is different types of quality when you buy China goods. so an item could be made in 3 different quality and therefore have 3 different prices. in China there is the CHEAP version, the CHEAPEST version and the GREAT version of any product. so many people can receive a sample of the "great" version, and then be sent the "cheapest" version.

B) if you aint buying from the main factory directly then you will automatically be losing money. anyone who want to make great business in China needs to 1st speak Chinese and 2nd go to China to visit the factory and discuss prices. EVERY price in China needs to be bargained down directly with owners. YES!!! this is Chinese way of doing business, especially with "laowai" (foreigners). so if you are buying goods via some online brokers in Beijing (while the factory is deep within Guangdong province) then you will never make a great bargain because you will always pay middle men (only God knows how many).

C) if you only buy 10pieces of each products (each times) then you certainly wont get the best prices, you need to buy pieces by the thousands before the price can be at the bare minimum.

U v said it all.biz is simply common sense!!

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by wilfrik200(m): 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
muhammed001:
Hello everyone please I need your advice and encouragement on this mini importation business because i am really facing problems on this importation biz.

What I found out now is that the things I import are always cheaper at lagos

Because my first order was 30 watches and after buying them I found out that they are even cheaper in lagos than importing them because I want to sell them on wholesale price.

My next order was tummy slimming waist trainer for women. When I received the samples I said let me go and look for buyers that will buy it on wholesale before importing them
When I got there I found out that my price is higher than lagos price.
Even the price I bought it is higher than lagos price not to talk of adding profit.

please how can one really make money from this mini importation biz?
I am buying from 1688
Please help me with a solution to this problem or is there anything I am thinking wrong?

The goods are always cheap in china but when you calculate the total cost price of the goods and shipping fee, you will found out that is very expensive when compared to the price of lagos.

Then you will start saying that buying from lagos is even cheaper than buying from china. So now, what is the big deal on importing from china or uk/us when we can even get it cheaper in lagos?

Info marketers will always show you the prices of the goods in china but they will not include the shipping fee.
Sometimes the shipping fee can even multiply the cost of the goods * 4 and above.

Please your contributions are highly welcomed.

The only way out is to buy in large numbers, probably in thousands. Thats way, you can beat the cost price per item down to at least match lagos price else you are in for trouble. Alternatively, you can opt for distributor from major importers which I believe will be better for starters
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by winkmart: 8:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
I still don't understand why people are not getting this importation business right, when I make 150% profit on my imports on a monthly basis.

I import on aliexpress and use free shipping, but I work with serious sellers that ship in under 2 weeks. I market my products before they arrive and once they arrive, I sell.

I only focus on WRISTWATCH and am making it big. I buy for 3500# and sell for 8000# sometimes

Check my SIGNATURE

3 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by ssktn: 8:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
Correct
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by herboshedhe(f): 9:02pm On Jan 03, 2016
wilfrik200:

The only way out is to buy in large numbers, probably in thousands. Thats way, you can beat the cost price per item down to at least match lagos price else you are in for trouble. Alternatively, you can opt for distributor from major importers which I believe will be better for starters
God bless u!
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by engrshakespeare: 9:02pm On Jan 03, 2016
erico2k2:

Great stuff you are the man.but let me.also add.most of these chinease people now speak English.to make same good diffrent you can ask them to brand them in ur name.I dis tjat when I went to their glass factory.

I hope they don't speak this your type of English >: grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by ssktn: 9:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
To me mini importation is profitable. Depending on the type of goods you are supplying.

As you can see, there are millions of products out there, and there are also millions of goods that are not common in lagos market.

So therefore, your market research will determine the goods to import and make reasonable profit

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Omotaday(m): 9:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
MoonChildng:
Haba 24hrs shipping will definately be extremely expensive i buy some items from China but i take my time and mostly buy those with free shipping and yes i usually wait about 60days but in the long run its cheaper for me ,what i ensure is to have enough stock on ground per time .

Plus i dont think you should be trying to compete with Island price ooh else you'll break your back those guys pass businesses down from generation to generation ,they know all the tricks in the books

What you can do is find your own unique market and focus on them not everyone likes going to Eko ,you can target them .
Bruh, Compliments of the season!! grin. . I would like to know about the importation stuff. Im a you guy but i have some bucks i can use to invest into this business. Can i PM you? I know you might be a busy business man but you can always give me reply anytime you are free to do so.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by shalomtemmy(f): 9:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
iMerchant:

You have raised a valid point but my challenges with most people especially those who start importation business after buying ebooks from someone who never practice the business they preach is lack of basic understanding of the business.

I do not claim to be an expert but surely am not a complete idiot and I do think you can learn one or two things from my foolishness if you are willingly to learn:

1. In importation business, you don't make money when you sell you do when you buy
2. It is obvious you don't do your due diligence before buying stuff from china because if you do, you will not end up buying stuff from china at a price more expensive than Lagos.
3. You basically from your post buy on impulse which is VERY BAD for any business especially when you are into importation business. Your consumer are suppose to buy from you on impulse not the other way round.
4. Stop buying generic goods at expensive price from china.
5. The infact that someone brainwashed you into believing that goods are cheap on 1688.com and Taobao doesn't mean the person is 100% accurate. Believe me when I say you can get some stuff cheaper on Aliexpress than 1688.com
6. Sir, except you are a contractor who buy stuffs for other to resell, you should NEVER EVER use EXPRESS shipping for goods you intend to resell. As a good business person, your aim should always be to reduce your cost of doing business not increase it.
7. If you do your homework very well cheaper doesn't necessary mean better quality in China. Except you import sub-standard goods from china you need not worry about the Lagos price if you have a product with superior quality. Before you say anything, I have sold hundreds of selfie stick nationwide at 7.5k each when other people selling at 1.2k are yet to sell 50 pcs. Quality beat price anyday anytime.
8. Before you buy anything from china please go to your source market in Lagos first thereby saving yourself unnecessary headache. If it is cheaper in Lagos with the same quality like the one you are buying from china, please do yourself a favour, Buy it in Lagos.

Thanks
nice one, item 6 is so on point
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by whizqueen(f): 9:17pm On Jan 03, 2016
Lemme quickly add my own piece,

Yes you can make a whole lot of profit infact up to 100% of cost. You just have to do these:

1. Do your homework. Research on products that are not popular in Nigeria and will break the market
2. Buy in large quantities. MOQ of 50 - 100 pieces will enable you buy at cheaper price not forgetting the quality
3. Don't use free shipping! yes. Unless you're probably just starting. free shipping takes as long as 1 to 2 months to reach Lagos. Imagine waiting that long to get your item?
4. use reliable and trusted third-party agent. Never use express shipping! Except ofcourse you're getting a good pay for the contract. If you have a good relationship with your agent, they could help you do a quality control check on the items.
5. Someone was talking about traveling to China to visit the company. seriously? That's too far. If you have a good personal relationship with your agent they can help you visit the company and give you the quotation. only few trusted agents can do this. Some are too busy to even visit companies.
6. Use banks whose exchange rate is reasonably low. If you're using zenith or first bank master card bro you're on a long thing. Just get access or Stanbic IBTC account with master card. There rates are cheaper. Like I said earlier, do your homework! Don't just order for rubbish item without proper research and price check..

All the best!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Obynolee(f): 9:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
muhammed001:
Hello everyone please I need your advice and encouragement on this mini importation business because i am really facing problems on this importation biz.

Because my first order was 30 watches and after buying them I found out that they are even cheaper in lagos than importing them because I want to sell them on wholesale price.

My next order was tummy slimming waist trainer for women. When I received the samples I said let me go and look for buyers that will buy it on wholesale before importing them
Even the price I bought it is higher than lagos price not to talk of adding profit.

I am buying from 1688
Please help me with a solution to this problem or is there anything I am thinking wrong?

The goods are always cheap in china but when you calculate the total cost price of the goods and shipping fee, you will found out that is very expensive when compared to the price of lagos.

Then you will start saying that buying from lagos is even cheaper than buying from china. So now, what is the big deal on importing from china or uk/us when we can even get it cheaper in lagos?

Info marketers will always show you the prices of the goods in china but they will not include the shipping fee.
Sometimes the shipping fee can even multiply the cost of the goods * 4 and above.

Most Lagos guys buy in bulk and China market is quantity driven,that one aside,they also use sea shipment which is cheaper. I know of a product that the air cargo is 43 but sea shipment is 5,you see,if you use air cargo you can't compit with someone who use sea because the sea guy will sell at your cost price and still make profit.My advise is that you do your homework well before going into any business,thank God you have not imported before discovering this.You can still correct your mistakes.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by whizqueen(f): 9:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
muhammed001:

Normal shipping/7 days delivery is your best catch.

Express is usually double of normal shipping which raises your cost.

2 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by lilygabriel08: 9:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
my guy i hope u read dis, at the moment with the things you are selling,importing from china is cheaper if and i cant stress this enough you are a big player, importing from sellers on 1688 or other related sites is not the same as those who go and buy bulk from factories from where these sites get their stuff after you have ordered from them, to put it simple if you can go and import from the factory yourself it will be 10times cheaper and you can pick quality as well, china made is not bad at all its the buyers who import them that are bad. i have been importing from from china since i lived in nigeria, now am based in london with business in both naija(alaba) and london(peckham and dalston) and i have never regretted dealing directly with chinese, n if god n buhari permit i am entering into a partnership with chinese that will see me relocate to my beloved country this year, if you have any more questions feel free my guy i know what it is to struggle

4 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by dapsonlou(m): 9:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
It depends on your shipping method. Her you shipping Fright or Cargo?
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Obynolee(f): 9:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
MRBrownJ:
find a cheaper supplier by asking these stores in Lagos where they get their goods from

Try to give advice base on what you know,you think they will divulge the info??,so that you will come and chance them??.Business is secret bro even here on nairaland they still sell eBook.

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by slap1(m): 9:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
whizqueen:

Normal shipping/7 days delivery is your best catch.

Express is usually double of normal shipping which raises your cost.

I don't even understand why someone would use express shipping unless it's super urgent or you're not much interested in profits. I'm not yet grounded in importation stuff, but I've never lost money. I make basically double my money or more.

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 9:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
engrshakespeare:

I hope they don't speak this your type of English >: grin
What kinda English are you on about now.I can't be bothered to proof read for the likes of you.

2 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by supaslim(m): 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
Check this song out! Even the title sef funny! PEPPERSOUP! Lol, awesome chorus mehn! Jahbless on d backup! www.datafilehsot.com/d/c43d4660
ferhyntorlah:
Muhammed001, you have raised some salient points.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by supaslim(m): 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
Check this song out! Even the title sef funny! PEPPERSOUP! Lol, awesome chorus mehn! Jahbless on d backup! www.datafilehost.com/d/c43d4660
ferhyntorlah:
Muhammed001, you have raised some salient points.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Alexander001(m): 9:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
iamfroshsylver:
Dear OP to the best knowledge of mine, importing frm china is not profitable. Most of those goods are cheaper in lagos. I have a friend that do import goods from china, the money he uses to clear those goods @ times is more than 2/3rd of the money he uses to buy the goods. As for me I get most of my goods from togo. I will prefer you check togo,though depending on what you are into. Cos @times cloths from lagos are cheaper most especially now that #100 is 435cefa. Depending on what you import anyway! Best of luck!
it depends on what he's importing, he can't import already made shirt or polo and expect it to be cheaper than Lagos, aba or onitsha. where alaba boys and aba boys ain't smiling. don't buy mini imports from china expect heavy goods. remember naira equivalent to dollar is hbp.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Prince29(m): 9:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
IF u find out dat lagos is more cheaper after all d expenses y nt buy from lagos instead of seeking 4 advice.if u dnt knw wat is good 4 u go 4 d cost one.use ur head.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Egie4real: 9:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
Even though I am not into day to day business, firstly I believe you should know your prevailing market prices before making orders. It's possible someone does mega wholesales than you do. That has a lot of interpretations. It could be that the amount you are paying for custom duties is the same you would have paid had you ordered more etc. Due a market survey and if possible study your competitors. Good luck .

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Chukzyfcb(m): 9:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Although discount is a factor, I believe quantity is also very IMPORTANT. You are a MINI-importer competing against a MAJOR-importer. Example
A major importer buys 10,000 piece of shoes at 1,000naira each. Total cost = 10,000,000 naira
Cost of clearing goods @ apapa = 500,000
Spreading The cost = 500,000/10,000= 50 per shoe (Incurred expenses)
Total cost = cost of 1shoe + expenses incurred= 1000 + 50 = 1,050!!
So the cost of obtaining a shoe is now 1,050!

As. For you a mini-importer, there's no way ur cost of expenses will be #50naira after purchasing your shoe @ the SAME PRICE with a Major importer. The quantity gives the Major Importer advantage to dictate price!

4 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by glintspot: 9:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
join the fastest growing Nigeria Business Social Networking Website for entrepreneurs, youths, students, business developers, experts,unemployed, companies, small business owners and people aspiring to have extra income stream in Nigeria & those Outside the country ,Foreigners living in Nigeria and all African countries. Meet fellow entrepreneurs in different industries e.g Real estate, online & internet, Healthcare & Medical, Oil & Gas, Import & Export, Fashion & Style, Education, Entertainment, Agriculture & Farming, Beauty Care and Work From home etc. Create & Discuss topics in different forum, industries and ideas on how to start a business, buy a business, sell a business, business opportunities, franchises, business management, business strategies, business plans, inventions, and entrepreneurship!. Meet new clients, socialize, Chat, share ideas, advertise your business and earn revenue. Advertise for free, share videos, images and join in discussions to create ties with others who share your same interests. http://www.glintspot.com

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by choix007(m): 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
I would love to go into importation biz, perhaps on a mini level, but I need someone with genuine experience to coach me. You can kindly reach me on choice.aimuan@yahoo.com or 07033730973. With a grateful heart I anticipate that response. Thanks. Choice
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by MRBrownJ: 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
Obynolee:

Try to give advice base on what you know,you think they will divulge the info??,so that you will come and chance them??.Business is secret bro even here on nairaland they still sell eBook.

such state of mind is the reason why they will remain at the bottom, while if they'd joined forces, they could buy more and get prices down

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by dapsonlou(m): 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
muhammed001:

That's why your cost is high, u need to use cargo, it's 5$ per kg, you get your goods in 7days in Ajao Estate
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Chukzyfcb(m): 9:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
Obynolee:

Most Lagos guys buy in bulk and China market is quantity driven,that one aside,they also use sea shipment which is cheaper. I know of a product that the air cargo is 43 but sea shipment is 5,you see,if you use air cargo you can't compit with someone who use sea because the sea guy will sell at your cost price and still make profit.My advise is that you do your homework well before going into any business,thank God you have not imported before discovering this.You can still correct your mistakes.
This is not completely true! Yes, sea shipment is always cheaper, but those who use air cargo are concerned about SPEED OF DELIVERY! In some business like textile that I'm into; Before your stocks arrive by ship, people who used air would have sold at their own comfortable price before you come and put sand sand in their garri. And in business once you are the first in an area to get a NEW products before others, you will be the first to dictate the price!
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by unphilaz(m): 9:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
@op thanks for this topic. Pls can you people list shops in lagos and products they sale so we can understand how to plan? Thanks and very educative
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by tempest01(m): 9:54pm On Jan 03, 2016
muhammed001:

I am buying from 1688

The people selling in lagos in bulk and have containers, agreements with chinese agents to lower cost with bulk purchase, or buy directly from factories in china, so their prices are low. When they ship these items in bulk, individual items contribute a little percentage and they can then add very little amounts and make their profits.

you on the other hand buy these items cheap (maybe same with the lagos sellers) but transporting it down here costs you more (much more) than the lagos sellers.

My take.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

New Trend On Forex Indicators: Amazing Forex Strategy / Nigerians Must Begin To Overcome The Fear Of Becoming An Entrepreneur Now!!! / Aminu Dantata: I Am Just Waiting For My Time, I No Longer Enjoy Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.