Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,283 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   (54953 Views)

NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills / Nigeria Labor Congress Protesters Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tarrifs / Prof Osinbajo – Nigerians Should Expect Higher Electricity Tarrifs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by dre11(m): 2:19pm On Dec 21, 2015
 
Okechukwu Nnodim

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission has finally released the new power tariff regime, in which it outlined the various rates of increase in energy charges for consumers across the country.

It also announced the removal fixed electricity charges for all classes of electricity consumers and noted that power users would only pay for what they consume.

About two weeks ago, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, revealed that electricity tariffs would increase and urged consumers to comply with respect to paying their bills, as he promised that the sector would record considerable improvement thereafter.

Confirming the tariffs increase on Monday, NERC stated that henceforth, from the next billing period, power distribution companies would no longer charge their customers monthly fixed charges.

Fixed charge is that component of the tariff that commits electricity consumers to paying an approved amount of money not minding whether electricity is consumed during the billing period.

Outlining the rates of increase in tariffs for various customer classes in selected locations across the country, NERC said, “For instance, residential customer classification (R2) in Abuja Electricity Distribution Company will no longer pay N702 fixed charge every month. Their energy charge will increase by N9.60.

“Also, residential customers (R2 customers) in Eko and Ikeja electricity distribution areas will no longer pay N750 fixed charges. They will be getting N10 and N8 increase respectively in their energy charges.

Similarly, the burden of N800 and N750 fixed charges would be lifted off the shoulders of Kaduna and Benin electricity consumers. These consumers will see an increase of N11.05 and N9.26 respectively in their energy charges.”

This comes less than a week after the House of Representatives asked NERC to stop plans to increase electricity tarrifs.
Details to come…

www.punchng.com/breaking-nerc-increases-electricity-tarrifs-scraps-fixed-charges/

lalasticlala

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by HowAreYou(m): 2:27pm On Dec 21, 2015
If them Born any Nepa make dem Bring any YEYE bill...We go burn The Bill and the Nepa Join.

#BoysAreNotSmiling 4 My Area ooo

Though am a ProAPC...But this one..Iono Understand anything wey dey dat POST.

Things are just to expensive..

Ish!! Father Lord Help Us

26 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by suxkill: 2:28pm On Dec 21, 2015
No light, yet they have finally increased the bill!!!

I am patiently waiting for the new bill with my Ak47.

141 Likes 12 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by suxkill: 2:28pm On Dec 21, 2015
H
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2015
Nobody seems to follow the rule of law any more

This comes less than a week after the House of Representatives asked NERC to STOP plans to increase electricity tarrifs.

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Islie: 2:34pm On Dec 21, 2015
this is Christmas gift from this government to all Nigerians......

I thought they will differ it to next year

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by 4reala(m): 2:36pm On Dec 21, 2015
Dis Change regime na wa o

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Bevista: 2:39pm On Dec 21, 2015
That's fine by me, as long as prepaid meters are available. Scrapping the fixed charges is also a welcome development.

As long as people only pay for what they actually consume, Nigerians should learn to pay the right price for a service. That is the only incentive for investors to commit their funds for long term improvement of the sector.

The telecoms model is a good example of how appropriate pricing stimulates service, competition, jobs - and ultimately - lower prices.

137 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by njikoamaka: 2:43pm On Dec 21, 2015
The masses now subsidizing Power and soon Petroleum for our reckless leaders.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by dustmalik: 2:46pm On Dec 21, 2015
K
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Lakeshizu(m): 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2015
You guys should take time to read the news, it will do you good.

55 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Clerverly: 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2015
Nice one! That fixed charge is a daylight robbery!

26 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by lwise(m): 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2015
What a gift for the festive period.

For the lying liers...

39 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by ijustdey: 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2015
NERC finally increases electricity tariffs, scraps fixed charges....

dailypost.ng/2015/12/21/nerc-finally-increases-electricity-tariffs-scraps-fixed-charges/

cc lalasticlala

I hope this would boost their capacity and increase the availability of pre paid meter because that would check those outrageous bills those energy companies do send

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by blazetitov: 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2015
Good. Am tired of that rip off in the name of fixed charge. This will force some Nigerians to be more conservative with the way they use electricity.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by koboko69: 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2015
Ekpas ....food is ready!

Una wey go leave tv on go work come back, halogen light, security light, any kind of light for day time. Una go off am by force now.

I have seen mass distribution of prepaid metres...and its for free...even installation.

This will reduce the unnecessary power wasted at particular periods

15 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by teehef: 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2015
A Silver Corolla 2004 model with plate number KUJ 181 HN (abuja) was stolen on Sunday at Ilupeju. Please call 08098980717 if you have any information that can help find it.

1 Like 6 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by harmless011: 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2015
This will only make sense if they distribute prepaid meter but as usual the ripoff continue

3 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by ERONX(m): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2015
SAI BU.... lipsrsealed
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by publicenemy(m): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2015
As long as that N750 maintenance fee is deducted.

This will only affect factories.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by yimikaa: 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2015
With this development, NERC should madante discos to install prepaid meter for free within 3 months.

Was not around for about 4 months,switched of my prepaid meter. came back last month and went to reload my card with 4k. Saw that 3k was deducted from the 4k as fixed charge. I Was furious. So my 4k only gave me 1k equivalent of electricity unit. Awon ole

8 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by ttemmi(m): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2015
I see no point here if everyone isn't given prepaid meter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by princeonx: 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
Electricity in naija na the biggest scam for life!! You pay for something you don't get! Smdh!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by ClassCaptain(m): 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
Suffering and Smiling

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by aieromon(m): 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
Good news. Now enforce the distribution of prepaid meters to all customers.

3 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by kristisking(m): 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
More tarrif, more darkness!

4 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by 8kingz(m): 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
gbhcc
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Kelklein(m): 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
If we look closely at this..it could be good news

my opinion tho..

**runs outta thread**

2 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by fpeter(f): 3:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
2016 ga dikwa tough

2 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by tete7000(m): 3:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
What is the actual charge not increment?

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by ibkgab001: 3:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
hahahahhaha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Smugglers Abandoned Their Bikes And Bags Of Rice In Ogun Bush / Press Conference: Ambode Addresses Lagosians At 2:30pm (Live Updates) / Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike: I Saw Hell In Hands Of Abba Kyari And His Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.