Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! (18816 Views)

How Much Do Doctor's Assistant And A Hospital Receptionist Earn? / This Is Urgent, Send Your CV IF Qualified / 5 Things You Absolutely Must Include On Your CV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 21, 2015
Job seekers must have heard the line, “Drop your CV we will contact you” like a billion times.

Job hunting can be very frustrating and many job seekers have undoubtedly experienced not being called for an interview after leaving their CV with the receptionist. Though some organizations are kind enough to alert you to acknowledge the receipt of your resume, a majority of the others will not.

Efritin.com explains some of the reasons why your CV might not get past the receptionist. Please note that this list is not exhaustive. So feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section

1. CVs with the 'Copy' and 'Paste' effect: Most unemployed graduates have the same CV format. The ‘Profile summary’ section is the most copied and recycled in CV writing and research has shown that 3 in every 10 persons has the same profile summary format. The most explored means of writing a CV in Nigeria is paying computer centers to build one.

Not that it is a terrible idea, but allowing others to write your CV does not always express your abilities and also a thousand others will have the same word text in your CV with the difference being your personal details. It is important that every job seeker knows how to write a CV.

2. CVs that do not match the job requirements: It is typical to see a job seeker apply for a job that probably requires far more experience, or even a certain educational background than what they have and then resort to praying that they get it. News Flash! Most organizations will most likely not want to waste their time and only get to consider those that fit into their requirements.

3. CVs that are not explanatory: Be clear and concise! The current CV format is to start up with writing a summary of the individual. The summary should contain 'Who you are', 'What you want', and 'What you can offer'. The ‘profile summary’ of your CV should never be vague in any way.

The body of your CV right from your educational background to your work experience(s) should state clearly your qualifications, previous roles and responsibilities as well as career achievements (if any).

4. CV submissions that do not follow organization’s standard: Some companies do not appreciate ‘in person’ submission. That means for every CV you want to submit, you have understand what the organization wants.

Check the company’s website for their employment and application policies. You may think going in person to drop your CV will make you stand out while the reverse is the case.

http://pulse.ng/feat/ady/job-hunting-4-reasons-your-cv-might-not-get-past-the-receptionist-id4470881.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Nobody: 7:40am On Dec 22, 2015
OK, na to dey condemn CVS all the goddamn time!
Person way go employ u go employ u. I know someone who has never prepared a cv yet she's working with a bank after 1month of graduation.
So save me the bullshit! angry

21 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by citydove(m): 9:31am On Dec 22, 2015
thisisayus:
Person way go employ u go employ u. I know someone who has never prepared a cv yet she's working with a bank after 1month of graduation.
Dude the write up made some valid points, read btw the lines,moreso the writeup might be needful for others, so dont condemn if you don't find it useful for yourself

14 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by H2Ossss(m): 9:34am On Dec 22, 2015
The main reason your cv does not get past the receptionist is that like the leper in the bible story, you have no 1 to push it for you. Period.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by lasisi69(f): 9:55am On Dec 22, 2015
End time reasons

2 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by martyns303(m): 9:56am On Dec 22, 2015
Crap, as long as the CV displays the requirements the company desires nothing else matters.

A well designed and fancy CV may get attention but if it doesn't not have the requirements, nothing will happen. Everyone uses business centers or a templates.

4 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by sexaddict08(m): 9:57am On Dec 22, 2015
Buhari is trying but I'm hungry oooo...
whose gonna bless me this Christmas, I'm so broke.
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 22, 2015
It's not about your cv it's about connections...even if Donald Trump writes out ones cv without connection nothing..

My 2016 would be a year of runs ...damn cv... angry

2 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by nofij(m): 9:58am On Dec 22, 2015
We just have to think of what we can do with our hands and stop this CV thing. It doesn't pay anymore. Be creative guys.

4 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by tosyne2much(m): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2015
Very insightful. Thanks OP cool

1 Like

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Demmocrats(m): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2015
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 22, 2015
H2Ossss:
The main reason your cv does not get past the receptionist is that like the leper in the bible story, you have no 1 to push it for you. Period.

seconded...Enough of all this stories..
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 22, 2015
IzonOwei:
It's not about your cv it's about connections...even if Donald Trump writes out ones cv without connection nothing..

My 2016 would be a year of runs ...damn cv... angry

lolz....true talk....
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by bamac(m): 10:05am On Dec 22, 2015
Is it the receptionist that will hire? Grace of God will push anything to anywhere,when God is ready no obstacle fit stand...

6 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by deolu2000(m): 10:05am On Dec 22, 2015
The best CV is the one that gets you the job,every other thing is secondary i must confess. May God bless our hustling for jobs in 2016.

6 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by famousdad(m): 10:08am On Dec 22, 2015
it might even pass the receptionist table and yet you won't get the job ...it. takes God grace

3 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Richy4(m): 10:09am On Dec 22, 2015
thisisayus:

No sir a good CV is really important.

It is just like selling yourself to that company without being there..... What great things you have done in the past and capable of doing in future....... How skilled and talented you are......, Without representing it nicely, no one will call you for interview.

it is just like a poor advert... I know you must have come across a boring advertisement on tv before. that's how some CVs are.......

Yes I believe people get jobs by references but what if you do not have any referee? Don't you think your good CV will take you there?

4 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by tahir01(m): 10:10am On Dec 22, 2015
Someone should please post examples of cv

1 Like

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by quanternetz(m): 10:12am On Dec 22, 2015
Thanks bro I AM QAESH
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by refreshrate: 10:13am On Dec 22, 2015
#letsblameGEJ for the receptionist

1 Like

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Richy4(m): 10:14am On Dec 22, 2015
H2Ossss:

I have to buy you another Bible sir. I think you are reading king john's version. It was the crippled that got no one to push him into the water. not leper grin

5 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 22, 2015
H2Ossss:

It's always the case. Do your best to provide a sensible and honest CV. Thanks.
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 22, 2015
Nice Post! but I've always had an issue with this whole 'Your CV must be unique' thing. A CV is not a work of art, 100 people can't all have CVs different and unique to each and everyone of them (in terms of structure/design). Personally, I feel what matters is the Information in it, Grammar, clarity and Organisation.

2 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Mekzmoney(m): 10:25am On Dec 22, 2015
I don write all kinds of CV, bt bros, I still dey house ooh.... I don do all the tins u mentioned above, but who don call me?

Nt even a call or txt to tell me dat I don't fit in for the job, not to mention interview.

Even if u write d best proffessional CV and ur nt connected or favored, u r on ur own. U will see d most dumb guy with d worse CV being taken.

All CVs always end wit d receptionist or at d reception or security post if u dnt hav sum1 to push it 4ward. Except ur favoured by God.

So no one shud create such thread here again to avoid getting men provoked angry

6 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by oluwafreshkid(m): 10:30am On Dec 22, 2015
Richy4:

I have to buy you another Bible sir. I think you are reading king john's version. It was the crippled that got no one to push him into the water. not leper grin
It's more like a queen's version. "Queen Elizabeth's Version"
#justsaying

1 Like

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by handzomee(m): 10:32am On Dec 22, 2015
Abeg o,I just come read comments o
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by Tunagee(m): 10:40am On Dec 22, 2015
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by jacy67(f): 10:40am On Dec 22, 2015
Connections! For your CV to go straight to HR not even receptionist, you must be connected to GOD or to man

4 Likes

Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by kayalla(f): 10:41am On Dec 22, 2015
oluwafreshkid:

It's more like a queen's version. "Queen Elizabeth's Version"
#justsaying

Queen Elizabeth get bible version?
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by kayalla(f): 10:42am On Dec 22, 2015
reception no get right to open my cv o, if she try am...
Re: Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! by H2Ossss(m): 10:44am On Dec 22, 2015
Richy4:

lol.. no mind me jare... cripple, leper, blind, e.t.c. una grab the message.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Police To Recruit 30,000 Officers In 2017 / Has Anyone Heard Of Project 5000? / I go to work and sit down from morning till closing (7:30am-6:30pm)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.