Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:16 PM

How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode (1670 Views)

Drupal Website Developer Needed / How To Integrate Bulk SMS To Work In Drupal Website? / Drupal Tutorials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by todhost(m): 8:54pm On Dec 22, 2015
In Drupal, you can easily set a website to the maintenance mode with a few clicks using the admin interface. But there are cases where the admin dashboard becomes unavailable and things have to be done manually.

In this tutorial, you will learn the manual way to force your Drupal 7 site in maintenance mode.

Step #1. Edit the settings.php file

Edit the file sites/default/settings.php file, using a FTP client or through the filemanager in cPanel

At the very end of settings.php, add the code below:

$conf['maintenance_mode'] = 1;

Step #2. Save the paget

Your site will now display the "Site under maintenance" page:
Put your Drupal Site in Maintenance Mode Manually

Step #3. To put your site back online

Remove the line of code from Step 1, or change the value to 0 as shown below to put your site online again:

$conf['maintenance_mode'] = 0;

Read more at: https://www.todhost.com/knowledgebase/724/How-to-manually-set-a-Drupal-website-to-maintenance-mode.html

Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 10:05pm On Jan 03, 2016
Bros. Welldone, Drupal's learning is very steep. Am trying to understand so I can help my school build her website.
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 6:18pm On Feb 12, 2016
todhost:

You are welcome! You can learn Drupal by using our knowledgebase at https://www.todhost.com/knowledgebase/16/Drupal and following our Blog at https://www.todhost.com/blog

Bor thanks. Went thru your blog days ago. I searched for tutorials on how to use views and slideshow modules to generate sliding text and images on my school website. Its just a fresh job that am trying to develop for the school using drupal. Its a free job as I try to use it to launch myself into web development. Could u pls help me in anyway. I sent u PM
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by todhost(m): 9:14pm On Feb 12, 2016
Barry, unfortunately, you can use only use our knowledgebase to see how you can get over any issue you face. Your suggestions will be useful in populating the knowledgebase.
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by romme2u: 2:16am On Feb 13, 2016
Barywhyte:

Bor thanks. Went thru your blog days ago. I searched for tutorials on how to use views and slideshow modules to generate sliding text and images on my school website. Its just a fresh job that am trying to develop for the school using drupal. Its a free job as I try to use it to launch myself into web development. Could u pls help me in anyway. I sent u PM

what is ur location?

i could be of help but will only be free form next weekend.
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 5:52pm On Feb 13, 2016
romme2u:

what is ur location?

i could be of help but will only be free form next weekend.

Sagamu. U mean coming weekend? I'll be available. I'm having serious issue with view and view slideshow modules. unnecessarily complex module.
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by romme2u: 1:38am On Feb 14, 2016
Barywhyte:

Sagamu. U mean coming weekend? I'll be available. I'm having serious issue with view and view slideshow modules. unnecessarily complex module.

calm down i am no where close to where u are. i am actually down south

but u should set up ur fields in a particular content type exactly as you need them to appear in views. i am not conversant with views slideshow but if u need slideshow in a page, u can use responsiveslides module.

STEPS

1. create a new content type that has one image field - it can contain other fields if u like.

2. add content using the content type u created earlier and upload the pics u intend to use for the slideshow - one pics in each content u create

3. create a view and create block display within the view

4. set the views to show fields under format

5. select responsiveslides as format under format - settings

6. then choose the fields u created under fields

7. u can set filter criteria as u wish

the instruction above assumes u have install and enable responsiveslides module. by the way i prefer responsiveslides to views slideshow, it keep things simple. no configuration needed. just install and enable. moreover i am assuming u are conversant with drupal 7 and views ui in particular.

if u encounter problem read the instruction on the responsiveslides project page. success in ur endeavours
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 8:53am On Feb 14, 2016
romme2u:

calm down i am no where close to where u are. i am actually down south

but u should set up ur fields in a particular content type exactly as you need them to appear in views. i am not conversant with views slideshow but if u need slideshow in a page, u can use responsiveslides module.

STEPS

1. create a new content type that has one image field - it can contain other fields if u like.

2. add content using the content type u created earlier and upload the pics u intend to use for the slideshow - one pics in each content u create

3. create a view and create block display within the view

4. set the views to show fields under format

5. select responsiveslides as format under format - settings

6. then choose the fields u created under fields

7. u can set filter criteria as u wish

the instruction above assumes u have install and enable responsiveslides module. by the way i prefer responsiveslides to views slideshow, it keep things simple. no configuration needed. just install and enable. moreover i am assuming u are conversant with drupal 7 and views ui in particular.

if u encounter problem read the instruction on the responsiveslides project page. success in ur endeavours

1000likes for my brother. I will get back to you. Let me work on that.

Worked like a charm bro! Thank u so much. Just the same steps except that yours is oversimplified and focused on main stuff.
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by romme2u: 1:56am On Feb 15, 2016
Barywhyte:

1000likes for my brother. I will get back to you. Let me work on that.

Worked like a charm bro! Thank u so much. Just the same steps except that yours is oversimplified and focused on main stuff.

glad i was able to help, u are welcome smiley
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 3:56pm On Feb 15, 2016
romme2u:

glad i was able to help, u are welcome smiley

Thnks. Thr is smthin am trying to do again. Finding it hard to resize block. Am using business responsive theme and the style.css file (I dnt hv layout.css) doesn't seem to have place for doing block resizing. Wondering if u have a simple way of doing that in drupal 7. I will send u the school URL when am through with the design. Thnks again
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by romme2u: 9:48am On Feb 16, 2016
Barywhyte:

Thnks. Thr is smthin am trying to do again. Finding it hard to resize block. Am using business responsive theme and the style.css file (I dnt hv layout.css) doesn't seem to have place for doing block resizing. Wondering if u have a simple way of doing that in drupal 7. I will send u the school URL when am through with the design. Thnks again

u can't resize block from drupal ui.

u have to do that via a css file.

steps
1.track down the machine name of the block.

2.open ur page inspector on ur browser and track down the block div

3.locate the css rule controlling the block and make the necessary changes.

NOTE: u must know how to use browser development tools especially mozilla firefox though all browser ships with them
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 2:29pm On Feb 16, 2016
romme2u:

steps

NOTE: u must know how to use browser development tools especially mozilla firefox though all browser ships with them

Yea bro I know that.

Its just that I cant seem to find the right css file where this can be done. I have checked through all files in my theme directory and sub-directories. By the way, which of these tools are you talking about? Is that thing called firebug a web dev tool? I have heard of it but don't know it does. Will do some googling.
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 1:04pm On May 18, 2016
romme2u:

steps

Bro. could you please help me look at a site I developed with drupal? Something obviously is wrong with the site. I know this is about coding but I cant just figure it out. Please if you will, I will put the URL here for you to see. Reply pls. Thanks
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by romme2u: 6:47pm On May 18, 2016
Barywhyte:

Bro. could you please help me look at a site I developed with drupal? Something obviously is wrong with the site. I know this is about coding but I cant just figure it out. Please if you will, I will put the URL here for you to see. Reply pls. Thanks

put up the site url let me see if i can check it 2moro

............and specify what u think is wrong so that i can have a starting point
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 7:58pm On May 18, 2016
romme2u:

put up the site url let me see if i can check it 2moro

............and specify what u think is wrong so that i can have a starting point

I already pulled down the site. I hosted a site with WhoGoHost and after ftp transfer of drupal files and database, the only thind I could access was the home page, as every other page and link redirect back to the home page. I was angry with those guys because they could not help with diagnose of that problem. I strongly believed the glitch was from their server; probabaly with apache or whatever web server they are using. I am starting again with Suftaculous in their cPanel but right now I think their server is down as I cannot access the site www.barywhyte.com Thanks for your reply bro. The site is empty at the moment
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by romme2u: 12:06am On May 20, 2016
Barywhyte:

I already pulled down the site. I hosted a site with WhoGoHost and after ftp transfer of drupal files and database, the only thind I could access was the home page, as every other page and link redirect back to the home page. I was angry with those guys because they could not help with diagnose of that problem. I strongly believed the glitch was from their server; probabaly with apache or whatever web server they are using. I am starting again with Suftaculous in their cPanel but right now I think their server is down as I cannot access the site www.barywhyte.com Thanks for your reply bro. The site is empty at the moment

just as you said i cannot also access the site but i think the redirect stuff u encounter earlier was not from their server. most host configure their servers to serve default.html or any other name convention as the index page once ur site is activated. u may have to delete all the html/php files in ur account's www or public html folder before uploading ur drupal files there i.e. if u are going the manual route. when the site is online, just mention me
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 5:22pm On May 20, 2016
romme2u:

just as you said i cannot also access the site but i think the redirect stuff u encounter earlier was not from their server. most host configure their servers to serve default.html or any other name convention as the index page once ur site is activated. u may have to delete all the html/php files in ur account's www or public html folder before uploading ur drupal files there i.e. if u are going the manual route. when the site is online, just mention me

Yea your right bro! It wasn't from there Server, after several googling, the misconfiguration was in settings.php file and I had 2 disable .htaccess file at some point too. The site is online now and things are working! Thnks bro.

Note: the site is www.barywhyte.com.ng not the other one. Sorry about that
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by todhost(m): 6:18pm On May 20, 2016
Barywhyte:

Yea your right bro! It wasn't from there Server, after several googling, the misconfiguration was in settings.php file and I had 2 disable .htaccess file at some point too. The site is online now and things are working! Thnks bro.

Note: the site is www.barywhyte.com.ng not the other one. Sorry about that

Disabling the .htaccess file could have security implications.
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by Barywhyte(m): 6:29pm On May 20, 2016
todhost:

Disabling the .htaccess file could have security implications.

I said at some point. I enabled it afterward. But actually I don't know. What implications are you talking about?
Re: How To Manually Set A Drupal Website To Maintenance Mode by todhost(m): 8:14pm On Jun 07, 2016
If it is enabled, then that should be ok.

Barywhyte:

I said at some point. I enabled it afterward. But actually I don't know. What implications are you talking about?

(1) (Reply)

Dealing With Abusive Domains / **WE SELL: ₦ETELLER, PAYPAL (₦495), PM, Skrill, Payoneer Etc. AVAILABLE! / Get Adsense Account Or Adsense Earning Course And Earn 500$ Per Day Check This 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.