Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:14 PM

Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? (37384 Views)

All Teachers To Write Professional Exams In October – TRCN / Masters In Electronics And Telecoms Vs Masters In Control And Instrumentation. / CIS Professional Exams 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by brianromel(m): 10:20pm On Dec 23, 2015
Dear Nairalanders

I have been battling with this question for a while.

For one who is currently working g and wants to climb the cooperate ladder. Which of the two is the best option to achieve this goal.

I have had a lot of people saying it's better to have certification via professional exams like pmp ican and the rest.

While for the cooperate climb up, others say it's better to have a masters. Because most companies consider that more before the promote.

But which of the two is the better option to help one via for better positions in a company.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by bulakos25(m): 10:26pm On Dec 23, 2015
Thanks for the question. Your response is highly appreciated.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by brianromel(m): 10:30pm On Dec 23, 2015
bulakos25:
Thanks for the question. Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks bruv.

I didn't know this was a common problem.

Hopefully someone with more experience can shed light on the matter and advice us properly
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by AdexStudio(m): 6:55am On Dec 24, 2015
This depend on the organisation you are working with. To be professional is good but getting master's degree is d best. Someone like me got 2 professional qualifications later proceeded to get my masters. Today I'm a master's degree holder and holder of 2 professional cert. Your organisation/field will determine which one comes first.

18 Likes

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 24, 2015
I might not be in full position to answer you cos am yet to be in the corporate world.
Sincerely, your choice will depend on your field.
If you wanna be an academia I guess master (Msc) is the best.
If you wanna be in the corporate world, your best bet is to be a professional. Professional exams and or MBA.
To me the advantage Msc has is that even if you are working in administrative world and you have Msc its not a waste, you never can tell, you can still find yourself in the academic environment.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by kclee(m): 9:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
We need more experience hands to share more light on this

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by GentleNaaz(m): 7:22am On Dec 25, 2015
It depends on ur undergraduate major n ur career pursuit.

If u r graduate of account, Economics, etc., go for ICAN first. u cn subsequently do MSc or MBA afterwards.

If u r graduate of Business administration, banking n finance, etc., go for MBA or MSc first (MBA wl b better). Professional certifications cn b acquired afterwards.

If u r science or Engineering graduate, go for MSc/M.Eng first, but gt HSE level 3 certificate as well. If u r Engineer, train n gt certificates in engineering softwares/application, eg AUTOCAD, etc.

if u want to b a lecturer, MSc first, PhD afterwards, no doubt. Become member of at least one professional body in ur field.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by jerome263: 8:02am On Dec 25, 2015
GentleNaaz:

If u r graduate of account, Economics, etc., go for ICAN first. u cn subsequently do MSc or MBA afterwards.

If u r graduate of Business administration, banking n finance, etc., go for MBA or MSc first (MBA wl b better). Professional certifications cn b acquired afterwards.

If u r science or Engineering graduate, go for MSc/M.Eng first, but gt HSE level 3 certificate as well. If u r Engineer, train n gt certificates in engineering softwares/application, eg AUTOCARD, etc.

if u want to b a lecturer, MSc first, PhD afterwards, no doubt. Become member of at least one professional body in ur field.

WELL SAID

5 Likes

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by brianromel(m): 10:05am On Dec 25, 2015
GentleNaaz:

If u r science or Engineering graduate, go for MSc/M.Eng first, but gt HSE level 3 certificate as well. If u r Engineer, train n gt certificates in engineering softwares/application, eg AUTOCARD, etc.

Professionally this is true.

That's if your in academia.

But for an employee, which one of them is better for ones advancement in a typical work place?

1 Like

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by GentleNaaz(m): 10:53am On Dec 25, 2015
brianromel:

Professionally this is true.

That's if your in academia.

But for an employee, which one of them is better for ones advancement in a typical work place?
Wats ur undergraduate major n positon in ur coy?
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by vosquare: 2:45pm On Dec 25, 2015
smiley
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by adebayo201: 2:46pm On Dec 25, 2015
Laughs
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by vintino(m): 2:46pm On Dec 25, 2015
E
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by iteleaye(m): 2:47pm On Dec 25, 2015
Ok
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 25, 2015
I think it depends on what you studied in school. The course am doing(marine engineering). The masters degree has more advantages than the professional exams.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by WisdomTank: 2:47pm On Dec 25, 2015
It all boils down to career path. There are career paths that encourages professional certification while some require higher qualifications (M.sc) for career advancement.

Check my signature for your building POP ceiling, Wall Screeding and Pillar Designs
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 25, 2015
Prof exams
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by adebayo201: 2:49pm On Dec 25, 2015
panachuku:
Prof exams

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by kingphilip(m): 2:49pm On Dec 25, 2015
I'm an accounting graduate and I think being an ICAN professional does a he'll lot of good more than the master's degree in the corporate world in doing the professional exams you'll be more exposed in your field due to the fact that you do more of the advanced parts of your course and keeps you upgraded in more field than one giving you more experience in many fields unlike in master's where you are streamlined to just a field in your profession.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by tunapawizzy: 2:50pm On Dec 25, 2015
it depends on ur discipline and ur aspirations ........give us an insight into these

1 Like

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by calliope(f): 2:51pm On Dec 25, 2015
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by ziego(m): 2:51pm On Dec 25, 2015
Space booked
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by kekakuz(m): 2:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
[size=20pt] left to me, I would advice you to serve a professor and not a master
Masters are wicked. You can serve them for 10 years and they will not agree to release you
But if you serve a professor, he can even help you with your education by getting you admission
With my few points I hope I have been able to confuse you and not convince you that a professor is better than a master

O
O no
Wait.
I didn't read the topic well
Sorry
Ignore my post or hit like if it's not funny[/size]

36 Likes

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by JingoOAU(m): 2:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
For immediate job search, professional is better...for the future, masters is better

For government, Masters gives u d edge at d level of General manager over ur competitors
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by omisakint: 2:53pm On Dec 25, 2015
Depends on your field. If it computer science for example I will strongly advise professional courses and if you are buoyant you can apply for one in bangalore

1 Like

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by HDee(m): 2:53pm On Dec 25, 2015
Why don't you get the masters first, then you go for professional certification, atleast to be on the safer side.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by tosyne2much(m): 2:54pm On Dec 25, 2015
I'm here to learn cool

1 Like

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by xender(m): 2:54pm On Dec 25, 2015
OK

ion no

iyam a jambite
undecided grin
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by sheunsheun(m): 2:55pm On Dec 25, 2015
I ve bin wondering if a person who possess a professional certificate also starts from level 8 in a FG parastatal
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 2:55pm On Dec 25, 2015
U gat ur lyf to live

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDMS, Piping Designers And Piping Engineers: Lets Connect Here. / See The Cake A Nairalander Made (photos) / Chemical Engineering Graduate Sells Smoked Catfish - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.