Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,965 members, 7,799,277 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? (5942 Views)

Is It Allowed To Use A Towel After Ghusl? / Is It Allowed To Pray Taraweeh? / Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by justnaby: 11:48pm On Jun 09, 2009
Salam, please I need your opinion on this argument i have with my friends. Is it allowed for a sister to see a fellow muslim brother, admire his faith and fear of Allah, and propose to him? I know it is frowned on in our society but what of Islamically? smiley
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Lagosboy: 3:30pm On Jun 10, 2009
It is 100% hallal and accepted in islam. The prophet's (PBUH) wife Khadija RA proposed to him and she was 40 while he was 27. She was impressed with his impeccable character and honesty.

Another of the prophets wife proposed to him as well i just cant remeber her name right now.

There is nothing wrong in it in islam and we should care less about what the society says about it. If you fancy a man go for it with full confidence and dignity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Frizy(m): 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2009
Lagosboy:

It is 100% hallal and accepted in islam. The prophet's (PBUH) wife Khadija RA proposed to him and she was 40 while he was 27. She was impressed with his impeccable character and honesty.

Another of the prophets wife proposed to him as well i just cant remeber her name right now.

There is nothing wrong in it in islam and we should care less about what the society says about it. If you fancy a man go for it with full confidence and dignity.

You said it all. There is nothing wrong in proposing to a Muslim man as long as you said he fears Allah. If he does, he would not use that as an avenue of unnecessary exploitation.
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by justnaby: 7:53pm On Jun 12, 2009
Thanks. Sincce it is a sunnsh and we are advised to follow the sunnah. Its just a shame people discard it for westernization. For. e.g. saying hello to fellow muslim instead of the distinct Asallamualaikum to each other.
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Lagosboy: 12:01am On Jun 14, 2009
justnaby:

Thanks. Sincce it is a sunnsh and we are advised to follow the sunnah. Its just a shame people discard it for westernization. For. e.g. saying hello to fellow muslim instead of the distinct Asallamualaikum to each other.

Very true indeed. People forget that salam alaekum is a dua on the other persona and the reciprocation is dua itself. shame !!
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by AFEEFA(f): 10:17am On Sep 21, 2009
Lagosboy:

Very true indeed. People forget that salam alaekum is a dua on the other persona and the reciprocation is dua itself. shame !!
Yes!
Shame indeed.
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by fizzybaba(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2009
change of topic

it is allowed. Prophet Muhammad and Khadijat marriage proves a worthy example.

but pride wont let our sisters do that. i can understand how difficult it is for a present day sister to propose. she can at best show love signals and i know men aint slackish when they see signals.
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mukina2: 6:00pm On Sep 25, 2009
lol ;
fizzybaba:

change of topic

it is allowed. Prophet Muhammad and Khadijat marriage proves a worthy example.

but pride wont let our sisters do that. i can understand how difficult it is for a present day sister to propose. she can at best show love signals and i know men aint slackish when they see signals.

grin grin grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Abuzola(m): 6:01pm On Sep 25, 2009
And salamu alaikum is the best greeting and earn for a reward
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by fizzybaba(m): 6:06pm On Sep 25, 2009
mukina2:

lol ; grin grin grin

I am so wondering what the teeth is all about
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mukina2: 6:28pm On Sep 25, 2009
nothing oh grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by GODSON2009(m): 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2009
of course it is allowed,do you know the ratio of islamic men to women these days?
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by focused123(m): 1:11pm On Nov 30, 2009
@poster :

Afterall Khadijah proposed to Muhammed first. Although Khadija is older than Muhammed.
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Abuzola11(m): 3:32pm On Dec 01, 2009
sad
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by zayhal(f): 12:30pm On Dec 22, 2009
If she can't make a direct proposal due to bashfulness or fear of being turned down, she may go through someone who knows the brother well and has the wisdom to carry out the job well.

A case happened around me recently. The sister liked the brother and was too shy to go to him so she went to the brother's friend and started asking questions about the brother. The brother understood what she wanted and asked her if she didn't mind the brother. She affirmed and the brother got to work.

The wisdom he applied that I really liked was that he didn't go to tell the brother in question that hey sister so and so likes you. he just told his friend that he's been watching that particular sister and thought they could be compatible. the friend said, really? and watched the sister for a couple of days too and found that he liked what he was seeing. At the long run, it was the brother who went to propose to the sister. And did she accept!

So different ways can be used that won't put the sister in a difficult situation because the truth is, though Islam permits it, it's not so easy for a woman to walk up to a man and propose.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Lagosboy: 1:03pm On Dec 22, 2009
zayhal:

If she can't make a direct proposal due to bashfulness or fear of being turned down, she may go through someone who knows the brother well and has the wisdom to carry out the job well.

A case happened around me recently. The sister liked the brother and was too shy to go to him so she went to the brother's friend and started asking questions about the brother. The brother understood what she wanted and asked her if she didn't mind the brother. She affirmed and the brother got to work.

The wisdom he applied that I really liked was that he didn't go to tell the brother in question that hey sister so and so likes you. he just told his friend that he's been watching that particular sister and thought they could be compatible. the friend said, really? and watched the sister for a couple of days too and found that he liked what he was seeing. At the long run, it was the brother who went to propose to the sister. And did she accept!

So different ways can be used that won't put the sister in a difficult situation because the truth is, though Islam permits it, it's not so easy for a woman to walk up to a man and propose.

Love the story !!!
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Feb 08, 2010
funny.am proposing to someone already but hes proving hard, dnt know why grin grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mukina2: 5:50pm On Feb 08, 2010
grin

good luck sister grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 08, 2010
YEAH YEAH MUKI,dnt know why hes been like that,hes not acting according to sunnah grin grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mukina2: 5:55pm On Feb 08, 2010
maybe he is scared grin grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Feb 08, 2010
@muki,about my moonface or what? grin grin grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Lagosboy: 7:07pm On Feb 08, 2010
A brother shouldnt do shakkara o when a sister proposes, he should either accept or be polite enough to let her know why he his declining. There should be no pretence in serious matters like this. But some sisters dont propose directly and feel the brother should understand the message , often times they are wrong and the bro doesnt have a clue while the sis thinks he his being mean.

A woman once proposed to the Prophet PBUH and he politely declined and other proposed to him and he accepted so there is nothing wrong in it either way.
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mukina2: 7:08pm On Feb 08, 2010
uplawal:

@muki,about my moonface or what? grin grin grin
dunno what you talking about jare tongue

@ topic
i proposed to lagos boy and he is running away embarassed grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Feb 08, 2010
sister muki uve forgotten u once called me moonface(makeup tingy)
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 08, 2010
and why is lagosboy running away?maybe you re too beautiful,anyways,its Abuzola baby i wanna propose to right now, am just praying he accept my humble proposal grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mukina2: 7:32pm On Feb 08, 2010
uplawal:

sister muki uve forgotten u once called me moonface(makeup tingy)
i already apologised , didnt mean it, and i hope you forget about it too wink

uplawal:

and why is lagosboy running away?maybe you re too beautiful,anyways,its Abuzola baby i wanna propose to right now, am just praying he accept my humble proposal grin
abuzola? shocked lipsrsealed i nor talk oh grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 08, 2010
@mukina,am only joking about the moonface tingy,av forgotten since ,pls just do me a favour,dont shy away from it, i seriously want Abuzola,i love his zeal
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mukina2: 7:39pm On Feb 08, 2010
chei you love want Abuzola? grin shocked

Good luck in that dear grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 08, 2010
thank you sis
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mukina2: 7:52pm On Feb 08, 2010
you need it grin grin
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by Nobody: 1:12am On Feb 09, 2010
uplawal:

funny.am proposing to someone already but hes proving hard, dnt know why grin grin

he probably isnt interested in female jihadists. grin

this false "sis, bro" going on between slaves is quite funny. How can you be "bros and sis" when there is NO biological or spiritual link to you?
Re: Is It Allowed For A Sister To Propose To A Fellow Muslim Brother? by mamagee3(f): 2:16am On Feb 09, 2010
I don't know anything about Islam
because I'm a Christain.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help Out / Five Before Five / What Do Muslims Really Think About Clubbing? Western Vs Conservative Islam!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.