Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,080 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

Functional Programming. The Future? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Functional Programming. The Future? (1966 Views)

Functional Programming Is Fun With Elixir / PROGRAMMING: The Next Oil Money / Functional Programming In Javascript (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Functional Programming. The Future? by T007OSH: 10:35am On Dec 24, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have been a software developer for over 10 years. Using programming languages such as C#, Java & C++. However, I think the functional programming languages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming such as F#, Python & Scala are going to take over in a few years. Even C# is starting to look more and more like a functional language. I thought i'd post this to see if we Africans are following the trends n the industry. What are your thoughts if any?

Regards
T007OSH
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by DonSegmond(m): 2:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
No they are not. Python, Scala and C# are not functional. They are OOP, and you can do some functional programming with them.
F#, Haskell, Lisp, ML, Clojure, these are functionally. Of those, Haskell and Clojure seem to be thriving and the market share for them is very small. They will not take over, but smart individuals and companies will tap them to gain an edge.
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by T007OSH: 2:41pm On Dec 24, 2015
Python, F# and Scala are functional languages. However, they can be used in an Object Oriented programming context too.
In the financial industry these languages are used more than Haskell which you mentioned.
I agree though that smart people will start to use them to gain an edge. Also any new developer who doesn't want to be concerned+ constrained with a particular OS or platform I would advise should learn these (in my Opinion). You will also learn to write cleaner code this way smiley
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by Borwe: 4:01pm On Dec 24, 2015
What is the difference between OOP and this functional programming? I know that c++ nigguhs switched to this type about 1Year ago. What's really cool about it when compared to object oriented programming?
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by ToyinDipo(m): 12:13am On Dec 25, 2015
Java has also integrated functional programming technique with Lambdas and stream. So it's no longer only procedural, OOP and generic programming language.

I want to believe functional programming is the future, because Java has enhanced most of their data structures so as to be compatible with functional programming. I must say functional programming is amazing and exciting, it simplifies programming a lot.
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by Xtracoool(m): 1:37am On Dec 25, 2015
DonSegmond:
No they are not. Python, Scala and C# are not functional. They are OOP, and you can do some functional programming with them.
F#, Haskell, Lisp, ML, Clojure, these are functionally. Of those, Haskell and Clojure seem to be thriving and the market share for them is very small. They will not take over, but smart individuals and companies will tap them to gain an edge.

Scala is functional, as well as oop

1 Like

Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by foldl: 3:21am On Dec 26, 2015
Here are a few features of functional programming languages:

- Referential transparency
- Immutable data types
- Higher order functions
- Lazy evaluation
- Strong type system

Languages like Python, C# and Java support some of those but they are definitely not functional. Scala is both imperative and functional and so allow both paradigms. If you are looking for a truly functional programming language I'd strongly recommend Haskell. If you want something further than functional (eg dependently typed languages) checkout Idris, Agda or Coq. Idris and Agda are written in Haskell as is PureScript.

2 Likes

Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by omohayek: 2:41pm On Dec 26, 2015
It's worth adding that among the practical benefits of immutability, referential transparency, etc. is that it makes reasoning about concurrency a lot easier. This is especially important now that all machines are multicore, and applications must often be scaled to clusters of hundreds of nodes.

1 Like

Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by mohammad11: 5:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
Pls keep on the analysis as am learning from it.
Still a starter though!
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by G8Arthur(m): 2:31am On Dec 27, 2015
What's your stake on Arnold C?
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by Borwe: 8:41am On Dec 27, 2015
What is Arnold C? Sounds like a language written by Arnold Schwarzenegger fun's
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by DonSegmond(m): 3:23pm On Dec 28, 2015
omohayek:
It's worth adding that among the practical benefits of immutability, referential transparency, etc. is that it makes reasoning about concurrency a lot easier. This is especially important now that all machines are multicore, and applications must often be scaled to clusters of hundreds of nodes.

Well said, In addition outside of concurrency, it allows one to trust a function. Once you have a function that has been tested, you can be certain that it will behave exactly as designed since it doesn't keep state. State is the beast that brings forth exponential growth in complexity as the software grows. By being immutable, we have a clear separation of data and code which goes against everything OOP stands for.
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by T007OSH: 10:06am On Dec 29, 2015
Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. I found this on stack overflow http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2078978/functional-programming-vs-object-oriented-programming apologies if this isn't allowed. The selected answer almost likens the use of functional languages to civil engineering style of doing things which is tried, tested and works 99.9 percent of the time. I mean when last have you heard of a bridge collapsing?
I'm not saying I totally agree with the analogy but if it gives software that level of trustworthiness I'm on board and will actively start using one or two of the functional languages for my personal projects at home. Some might argue though that it could stifle creativity which is really what we enjoy doing (well I do)
Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by foldl: 1:43am On Jan 04, 2016
mohammad11:
Pls keep on the analysis as am learning from it.
Still a starter though!

Here is a simple and straightforward explanation of the concept of functional programming:

http://blog.jenkster.com/2015/12/what-is-functional-programming.html

1 Like

Re: Functional Programming. The Future? by Metalzoa: 6:37am On Jan 04, 2016
foldl:

Here is a simple and straightforward explanation of the concept of functional programming:

http://blog.jenkster.com/2015/12/what-is-functional-programming.html

I was going to post this but glad to see someone else beat me to it.

What has been mentioned above are tools to help the main objective of functional programming. They are not what makes a language functional or not.

The article was one of the best descriptions of this.

Basically, your functions have clearly-defined inputs and doesn't change anything outside its own scope.

This makes it easier to test each little bit of your program.

Also makes it easier to write better programs because all the components used to create it do exactly what was advertised and nothing else. Every component is simple, predictable and testable.

I don't contain myself completely to its rules but code that is clear to me is pretty functional, so I guess I'm approaching that day by day.

(1) (Reply)

Professional Web Designer And Programmer. Knowledgeable In Bitcoin Crypto Techn / Can I Learn Python Programming Within 30 Days? / Java Developers Learning Community Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.