Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:52 PM

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian (55417 Views)

Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old / List Best Military Organized Crime Inclined Story You Have Read On Nairaland / 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Psalm18: 3:28pm On Dec 24, 2015
Sent4rina:

You've indeed read an interesting novel.
Where can i download the soft copy pls?
I wish I could link you.
Unfortunately I don't have any idea of the soft copy, but if you try some bookshops you may find it.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by kodlins(f): 3:33pm On Dec 24, 2015
Really shocked
I can't believe I just read this from a Nigerian.
1 how old are you?
2 it's not about tribe
3 that book was a JSS Syllable for many years.

This is the reason why Kai Muhammed and other old men will keep being in leadership circles
REMMEI:
What's "Eze goes to school" doing on the list if you can't include

•Akin goes to school

•Sani goes to school ?

Or probably you're trying to tell us the book 'you' have read as a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Sent4rina: 3:40pm On Dec 24, 2015
Psalm18:

I wish I could link you.
Unfortunately I don't have any idea of the soft copy, but if you try some bookshops you may find it.

I couldn't find my own in our library, perhaps someone might have taken it.

Believe me, i missed that book. I read it not less than 23 times..
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Psalm18: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2015
Sent4rina:

I couldn't find my own in our library, perhaps someone might have taken it.

Believe me, i missed that book. I read it not less than 23 times..
It was a great book indeed.
I had finished primary school and was lazying at home while waiting for secondary school.
The mood was rainy season, the atmosphere pre boko haram and kidnapping. The setting, a rural village somewhere in Nigeria. And then I got the book.
That summer was one of the best of my lives smiley
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by IamOpemipo(m): 3:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:
Where is the concubine by Elechi Amadi

The lion and the jewel by Wole Soyinka

This book written by Cyprian Ekwensi? I've forgotten the title sha.

Drummer. Boy?
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by rhames(m): 3:51pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:

The Passport of Mallam Ilia

1 Like

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by rhames(m): 3:51pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:

The Passport of Mallam Ilia

1 Like

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Gassa007: 3:52pm On Dec 24, 2015
moscobabs:
where is Alawiye? by JF Odunjo
Where is Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole? D.O Fagunwa
where is Gbewiri? by unknown
where is Igbo Elegbeje? D.O Fagunwa
where is Tomorrow shall tell? from Abdul Waheed
where is my watch ? Obasanjo
where is The Virgin? by .....can't remember

u missed if u don't have any of these
Gerrarahere bloody tribalist,we ain't talking of a book read by region of the
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
REMMEI:
What's "Eze goes to school" doing on the list if you can't include

•Akin goes to school

•Sani goes to school ?

Or probably you're trying to tell us the book 'you' have read as a Nigerian.

Akin and Sani's fathers weren't even born when Eze finished standard 6.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Gassa007: 3:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
[b][/b]
moscobabs:
where is Alawiye? by JF Odunjo

Where is Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole? D.O Fagunwa

where is Gbewiri? by unknown

where is Igbo Elegbeje? D.O Fagunwa

where is Tomorrow shall tell? from Abdul Waheed

where is my watch ? Obasanjo

where is The Virgin? by .....can't remember

u missed if u don't have any of these
Gerrarahere bloody tribalist,we ain't talking of a book read by a region of the country but wholly... garrit??
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Gassa007: 3:55pm On Dec 24, 2015
BUSHHUNTER:
these books are base on tribalism
Goan sleep jhoor,Tribalist
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Sent4rina: 3:58pm On Dec 24, 2015
Psalm18:

It was a great book indeed.
I had finished primary school and was lazying at home while waiting for secondary school.
The mood was rainy season, the atmosphere pre boko haram and kidnapping. The setting, a rural village somewhere in Nigeria. And then I got the book.
That summer was one of the best of my lives smiley

I tagged the book "company's keeper".

I like the character of that naughty boy (i can't remember his name). He was a real trouble maker..
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Psalm18: 4:00pm On Dec 24, 2015
Sent4rina:

I tagged the book "company's keeper".

I like the character of that naughty boy (i can't remember his name). He was a real trouble maker..
Wilson Tagbo?
He went to boarding school and always had one run in with the authorities.

Incidentally there is a sequel; more week more trouble I think. Am not sure
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by badonkadonk: 4:02pm On Dec 24, 2015
sketcherJ:
The books listed below are the books, most Nigerians between the age of 15 - 80 have read, you might not have read all these books but at least you should be familiar with one or two of them.

Note; they may not necessarily be the best books out there, but they would surely rank high in the most read books by Nigerians

1.Things fall apart

Things Fall Apart is a post-colonial novel written by Nigerian author Chinua Achebe in 1958, the first of its kind to receive global acclaim .It is a staple book in schools throughout Africa and is widely read and studied in English-speaking countries around the world. It follows the story of a man called okonkwo.leader and local wrestling champion in the fictional Nigerian village of Umuofia. The work is split into three parts, the first describing his family and personal history, the customs and society of the Igbo, and the second and third sections introduce the influence of British colonialism and Christian missionaries on the Igbo community.

You can download the eBook at the source

Source

;http://dandywriter..com.ng/2015/12/five-books-you-must-have-read-as_23.html?m=1

No Ali and Simbi..

No lacombe

No MacMillan

No No Longer at ease...

No the kings men

No Alawiye...

No Bassey and company...

No papa ajasco and company..

No....... In short your list is very suspect
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Sent4rina: 4:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
Psalm18:

Wilson Tagbo?
He went to boarding school and always had one run in with the authorities.

Incidentally there is a sequel; more week more trouble I think. Am not sure

It seems so. I friend told me but i thought he was teasing me..

More weeks more trouble! I must surely look for this book.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Psalm18: 4:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
Sent4rina:

It seems so. I friend told me but i thought he was teasing me..

More weeks more trouble! I must surely look for this book.
Not sure of the name but same author, same character
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by SlimAdenike(f): 4:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
sexymoma:
Ugo .C. Ugo Trials of jimmy Johnson Sugar Girl Anything partaining to tortoise Alawuye Our Husband has Gone Mad Again

I love our husband has gone mad again,ola rotimi is a good author
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by omozu1(m): 4:21pm On Dec 24, 2015
Brytawon:
1. Samankwe And The Highway Robbers.

2. Short Play for Juniors.

3. The Lion and the Jewel.

4. Chike and The River.

5. Our Husband has Gone Mad Again.
I love these five books
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Nwanna2588: 4:22pm On Dec 24, 2015
Still ambivalent on mine. I'm considering publishing it or selling the idea to nollywood makers. Help me on the one that can pay me better
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by coveredchic(f): 4:34pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:
This bbok's particular story line was based on events in the North and it was centered on a particular beauty Queen in the North and one particular character.

It was about love - I read it when I was 11 ,can't remember the story line anymore ,all I've got in my head is nothing but vivid images of my imagination of the story but certainly not these two you mentioned.

Help a brother for once grin grin

Joseph the carpenter - Let's make peace ,not war. grin
The name of the book is 'the passport of mallam iliya' or 'an African night entertainment'. It was about a man who wanted to marry a girl named zainobe. She was actually betrothed to him, but somehow a rich alhaji snatched her through the use of a love portion (perfume). The rest of the story was about the jilted guy seeking revenge.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Twizzy30(m): 4:35pm On Dec 24, 2015
Where z purple hibiscus?
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by valeroso: 4:39pm On Dec 24, 2015
Brytawon:
1. Samankwe And The Highway Robbers.

2. Short Play for Juniors.

3. The Lion and the Jewel.

4. Chike and The River.

5. Our Husband has Gone Mad Again.

Finally. Someone who has read something in the Samakwe series. I've been searching for those books for a while now.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Prodigyeleda: 4:40pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:

.Its titled 'THE DRUMMER BOY'
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by coveredchic(f): 4:42pm On Dec 24, 2015
ekefre4:
yh...me too and der is also 1 by chukwuemeka Ike about leopard
The bottled leopard!
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Alexgeneration(m): 4:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:
This bbok's particular story line was based on events in the North and it was centered on a particular beauty Queen in the North and one particular character.

It was about love - I read it when I was 11 ,can't remember the story line anymore ,all I've got in my head is nothing but vivid images of my imagination of the story but certainly not these two you mentioned.

Help a brother for once grin grin

Joseph the carpenter - Let's make peace ,not war. grin
. Are you talking about "The passport of Mallam Illia"?
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by cristweeezy(m): 4:45pm On Dec 24, 2015
sketcherJ:
5. Nigerian constitution

Nigeria has had a series of constitutions. The current constitution was enacted on 29 May 1999, the constitution was converted into ebooks and apps for java, blackberry and android users, thereby making more people have access to it and many Nigerians reading it.

You can download the full eBook at the source

Source http://dandywriter..com.ng/2015/12/five-books-you-must-have-read-as_23.html?m=1#sthash.3fhA6QSE.dpuf
ralia the sugar girl, The magic land of the shadow, koku baboni
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Bakrabas: 4:53pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:
"the passport of malam ilias"
i guess
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by rapmike(m): 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:
Is it the Bottled Leopard?
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by REMMEI(m): 4:57pm On Dec 24, 2015
kodlins:
Really shocked
I can't believe I just read this from a Nigerian.
1 how old are you?
2 it's not about tribe
3 that book was a JSS Syllable for many years.

This is the reason why Kai Muhammed and other old men will keep being in leadership circles

You're totally entitled to your dis/honest opinion..where do you grow please?.. and who's talking about tribes here?.. cos I mentioned those books doesn't mean it's being tribal..
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by NICENEDU29: 5:05pm On Dec 24, 2015
viktor01:
I have read 1,2 and 5.

These guys above me sha, e be like say na Edo 5G network una dey use browse.
Same here
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Ghost01(m): 5:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
angiography:
"Our husband has gone mad again"

Suffice to say the title of the book was too captivating to neglect....

Soyinka is really madtmad :Dt cheesy

Lol...the play is brilliant tho...
Ola Rotimi is the author of "Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again", not Wole Soyinka.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Cocoyamu: 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
CoCoLav:
Echoes of hard times
This is our chance
The trials of brother Jero
The bottled leopard
One week one trouble
African Child
Second chance
So long a letter
Joseph the village boy
Trouble in form six
The incorruptible Judge
Jagua Nana's Daughter
Surely, this list continues...
Mother's Choice (Agbo Ero)
The Return Journey
Odenigbo (the great hunter with scars all over)
Koku Baboni
Ralia the Sugar girl
The Passport of Mallam Illia
One week One trouble (this one is very comical)
Animal Farm
and of cause all Macmillian's short series... and many many more
Wow! memories...... I love them all

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Funny 40 Alleged Quotes From President ROBERT MUGABE / Sinister Affections By Nevetsibot / Fulfilled Dreams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.