Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science (22138 Views)

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science / Please Advise: Msc In Petroleum Engineering Or Computer Programming. / Computer Science: Where Can I Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 24, 2015
Please nairalanders I need your help and advise based on what you think, real life situations and general knowledge
I personally I would like to study computer science because of my Intrest in programming and all sorts. bit people say computer engineering is more preferred ,please I want some advise.... and the really issue here is in my school (oou) am currently studying comp engineering but planning to switch to science, its only hardwares that's being taught and it really bores me..
any suggestions pls
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by peteribrahim123: 8:13pm On Dec 25, 2015
I feel computer science is better than engineering because it entails lots of programming and networking skills which are in high demand considering the way technology has spread through sectors in the economy. But computer engineering does more if hardware and electronics

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by vinqq(m): 10:56pm On Dec 26, 2015
Guy I dont want you to make a mistake in your life.You can be anything you want to be with computer engineering.which level are you?Let me tell you my story.
I am in the university of Buea in Cameroon,studying CE.3rd year.I visited a classmate who's very good at programming.Ranked 2nd in Cameroon on GitHub,i learned from him that you can do anything you want to do.You don't need to wait for the lecturer.This year,our school had 11 representatives for Google summer of code.Even non engineering students are mentored by senior students to partipate.
You want to program,then program on your own.Follow online tutorials of the language you want to learn.Don't forget that you need to learn the hardware architecture on which you are programming.Mostly embedded systems.Stick to engineering.It cuts across all fields of life.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by idu1(m): 10:53pm On Dec 27, 2015
vinqq:
Guy I dont want you to make a mistake in your life.You can be anything you want to be with computer engineering.which level are you?Let me tell you my story.
I am in the university of Buea in Cameroon,studying CE.3rd year.I visited a classmate who's very good at programming.Ranked 2nd in Cameroon on GitHub,i learned from him that you can do anything you want to do.You don't need to wait for the lecturer.This year,our school had 11 representatives for Google summer of code.Even non engineering students are mentored by senior students to partipate.
You want to program,then program on your own.Follow online tutorials of the language you want to learn.Don't forget that you need to learn the hardware architecture on which you are programming.Mostly embedded systems.Stick to engineering.It cuts across all fields of life.If you need mentorship,add me on whatsapp +237672072724 and i'll be glad to help.
Good advise

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
thanks ya'll I really appreciate am in 2nd year
happy new year
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by vicostyles(m): 6:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
smiley
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kelklein(m): 6:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
from experience

labour-marketwise...I will advise you stick to computer engineering because of less competition compared with computer science

meanwhile in other news.. this got me laughing out loud..

3 Likes

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by sample042(m): 6:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
Dis topic has been deliberated on several times.

Dude, from your write up u already have clues on both course. Why still pondering on the right choice?
Well, this is my take... Follow ur heart.
Am a csc grad, it wholly centres on programming and algorithms.... If you wish to go into hardware, dats wen you consider computer engineering...
sites
As u go further in csc, courses like... Artificial intelligence, networking (hardware courses) etc. will be introduced to u though not deeply.

3 Likes

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by timilehin007(m): 6:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
Smh...space Booker's undecided
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by looseweight: 6:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
Computer science
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by daftpikin: 6:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Freciprocal: 6:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
Una don start!
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by ayusco85(m): 6:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
k7teen:
Please nairalanders I need your help and advise based on what you think, real life situations and general knowledge
I personally I would like to study computer science because of my Intrest in programming and all sorts. bit people say computer engineering is more preferred ,please I want some advise.... and the really issue here is in my school (oou) am currently studying comp engineering but planning to switch to science, its only hardwares that's being taught and it really bores me..
any suggestions pls

If u are good with programming, Den go to computer science, else just stay put.

My 2 cents
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by v4victor: 6:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
Oga study anyone. At the end of the day, na wetin go put food for table person dey find

5 Likes

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by blaise00700(m): 6:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
Computer science anytime any day, I graduated from OOU (advanced secondary school grin) speaking from experience.

NIIT or APTEC will add more value to your career and CV, not sure if those schools still exist.

1 Like

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by allisonluvsu(m): 6:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
i am studying comp science nd i had wished i went for comp engineering. The irony of life.

my advise: make d best out of ur course of study nd do d extra to bcome d best.

1 Like

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kyase(m): 6:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
computer engineering.
a witness talking here.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by niggi4life(m): 6:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
Stick to your Computer Engineering.. After all what you studied in school doesnt really count but what you make of yourself that matters.

I also studied Computer Science in OOU and believe me bro, I didn't see a single Computer throughout my years in the Uni. I managed to come out with 2:2.
But now I am an expert in the area of networking with relevant certifications to back my experience.
So bro, learn to develop yourself outside your Major and you will see the sky won't be the limit in your success.
I wish u well " omo osu" grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Starcodecity: 6:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
G
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by amanze15(m): 6:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
computer science my brother or sister,
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Macelliot(m): 6:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
I suggest you study Computer Engineering..
Use your leisure time to do IT training..

Believe me, You will be both a computer Engineering and science guru...

1 Like

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Pebcak: 6:39pm On Jan 04, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by nextstep(m): 6:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
For Nigeria, study Computer Engineering. We need more engineers today than we need scientists. Before anybody jumps on me, let me explain:

Computer Science, for the most part, tends to address issues that won't be available to the public for 10-20 years: networking, communication, algorithms, big data, database - all these were researched and investigated in the 50s, 60s, but only started being used practically in the 70s' 80's and 90's. These take a long time, and need deep pockets to fund.

On the other hand, Computer Engineering tends to address immediate needs. It was computer engineers who took the theories and ideas from CS research, and turned them into actual embedded systems and computers that people use, as the technologies became more mature and mainstream. I feel a Computer Engineer would have a lot more to do and contribute to our society at this stage in our development. If you wanted to create an embedded system for mobile payments, gate openers, hospital record keeping, whatever, you're likely to need the skills of a computer engineer.

In summary, they are both worthy pursuits, and you can even study both, but IMHO, a computer engineer can create a lot of things that will have immediate practical use in Nigeria, which translates to customers who will pay; a computer scientist's products won't likely have immediate customers in Nigeria, today. Of course, as long as you expose yourself to all aspects of technology (scientist and engineer), none of this distinction matters

I imagine Iroko, Paga, Google and Microsoft have more Computer Scientists, while Solynta, Omatek, Apple and Samsung may have more use for Computer (and Electrical) Engineers.

5 Likes

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by UcGadaz(m): 6:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
From the comments above, does it mean that computer science is only about programming? NO of course..... You need to research more.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kyase(m): 6:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
peteribrahim123:
I feel computer science is better than engineering because it entails lots of programming and networking skills which are in high demand considering the way technology has spread through sectors in the economy. But computer engineering does more if hardware and electronics
taaah stop feeling.
I studied computer engineering, even at OND level we were taught, programming and networking in addition to the hardware.
so I don't know what you are talking about.
go ask in kadpoly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Rinato(m): 6:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
Looking for someone
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by allisonluvsu(m): 6:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
Macelliot:
as in full stop

Starcodecity:
G
as in Goat
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
-

1 Like

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
You peoplle will confuse the guy o pls expantiate
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by costandi(m): 6:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
Computer science is better in nigeria.

They are equally lucrative abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kyase(m): 6:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
blaise00700:
Computer science anytime any day, I graduated from OOU (advanced secondary school grin) speaking from experience.
your experience must be shallow then.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Marketing Lessons We Can Learn From Netflix's "Squid Game' / My Journey Slashing Pips In The FX World / I Am In A Dilemma, Please Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.