Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? (22866 Views)

Notorious tragedies On Christmas day / The Persecution Of Bangladeshi Christians On Christmas / Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by Toks2008(m): 8:37am On Dec 25, 2015
When was Jesus Christ born? Was Jesus born on December 25 - Christmas Day?

A careful analysis of Scripture, however, clearly indicates that Dec. 25 is an unlikely date for Christ's birth. Here are two primary reasons:

1.Shepherds were not in the fields during December. According to Celebrations

First, we know that shepherds were in the fields watching their flocks at the time of Jesus' birth (Luke 2:7-cool. Shepherds were not in the fields during December. According to Celebrations: The Complete Book of American Holidays, Luke's account "suggests that Jesus may have been born in summer or early fall. Since December is cold and rainy in Judea, it is likely the shepherds would have sought shelter for their flocks at night"

Similarly, The Interpreter's One-Volume Commentary says this passage argues "against the birth [of Christ] occurring on Dec. 25 since the weather would not have permitted" shepherds watching over their flocks in the fields at night. Second, Jesus' parents came to Bethlehem to register in a Roman census (Luke 2:1-4).

Such censuses were not taken in winter, when temperatures often dropped below freezing and roads were in poor condition. Taking a census under such conditions would have been self-defeating.

Given the difficulties and the desire to bring pagans into Christianity, "the important fact then . . . to get clearly into your head is that the fixing of the date as December 25th was a compromise with paganism" (William Walsh, The Story of Santa Klaus, 1970, p. 62)

2.If Jesus Christ wasn't born on December 25, does the Bible indicate when He was born?

The biblical accounts point to the fall of the year as the most likely time of Jesus' birth, based on the conception and birth of John the Baptist.

Since Elizabeth (John's mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Jesus was conceived (Luke 1:24-36), we can determine the approximate time of year Jesus was born if we know when John was born.

John's father, Zacharias, was a priest serving in the Jerusalem temple during the course of Abijah (Luke 1:5). Historical calculations indicate this course of service corresponded to June 13-19 in that year ( The Companion Bible, 1974, Appendix 179, p. 200).

It was during this time of temple service that Zacharias learned that he and his wife Elizabeth would have a child (Luke 1:8-13). After he completed his service and traveled home, Elizabeth conceived (Luke 1:23-24).

Assuming John's conception took place near the end of June, adding nine months brings us to the end of March as the most likely time for John's birth. Adding another six months (the difference in ages between John and Jesus) brings us to the end of September as the likely time of Jesus' birth.

Source:On-line Research.

But whether we chose to celebrate his birth on the 25th of December or any other time of the year, the point remains that to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of (Peace.Isaiah 9:6). That child is Jesus Christ who was sent by GOD to die for the sins of the world so that we all can be saved.

[size=15pt]
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL
[/size]

30 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by abangaLEE(f): 8:54am On Dec 25, 2015
Ask Dasuki

5 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by ClassCaptain(m): 10:00am On Dec 25, 2015
Its not the date that matters but the Purpose

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by Toks2008(m): 10:20am On Dec 25, 2015
ClassCaptain:

Seconded..Just setting the facts right.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by winkmart: 10:40am On Dec 25, 2015
doesn't matter
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 25, 2015
Nope. Show me where it's written in the bible he was born on this date.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by missKiffy(f): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2015
Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25th, but that's the date universally set aside for his birth so I don't see any big deal in it

13 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by Amberon: 10:41am On Dec 25, 2015
Jesus wasn't born on December 25th.
Christians only set December 25th apart to celebrate the birth of our saviour.

10 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by kingarizona1(m): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2015
Holy Smoke.... I keep seeing this thread Every christmas on Niaraland_

3 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by nmreports: 10:41am On Dec 25, 2015
I do not know.
Nobody in this current generation knows.
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by talktonase(m): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2015
Att all oh! History has been largely distorted by the catholic faith!

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by AllenCEO1: 10:41am On Dec 25, 2015
End time discovery.
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by darlenese(f): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2015
Go and ask Mary and Joseph

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by Demmocrats(m): 10:42am On Dec 25, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by veraiyke(m): 10:43am On Dec 25, 2015
Since the date doesn't matter but the purpose why haven't you ever celebrated your own birth anniversary in another month?
ClassCaptain:

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by Nobody: 10:43am On Dec 25, 2015
Hmmm
Amberon:
Jesus wasn't born on December 25th.

Christians only set December 25th apart to celebrate the birth of our saviour.
did he tell you to do that?

Did he even celebrate such while on earth?

15 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by ajoguegbe(m): 10:43am On Dec 25, 2015
The message in the event is more important than the date. Sometimes I don't celebrate my bday on the same day I was born. If it falls into a saturday for instance I can celebrate with my co-workers on Monday. Does it cancle or rule out the fact that its still my birthday? My grand mother doesn't know her birthday, is it a crime if we give her a day in the year and start celebrating her that day in every year, just to make a day her special day.

Forget all those Jehovah Witness arguments that doesnt change any man and lets look at how to use the season to promote the person of Christ. In case you don't know, Christmas is one event that reminds Muslims and many others that Jesus remains a global force world over

16 Likes 2 Shares

Ok

3 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by Gabrielwilliams(m): 10:43am On Dec 25, 2015
interesting.. i have aways had this feling that Dec 25th aint Jesus's birthday.. it just doesnt feel right.. bt i love the xmas feeling tho
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by crackhouse(m): 10:43am On Dec 25, 2015
let the argument begin while I sip my origin and scatter my chicken laps and watch with enthusiasm.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by Drclassic(m): 10:44am On Dec 25, 2015
No body knows the date.25th was chosen to represent the date

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by DirtyGold: 10:45am On Dec 25, 2015
Dunno
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by airsaylongcon: 10:45am On Dec 25, 2015
GKS doctrine
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by kevoh(m): 10:46am On Dec 25, 2015
Who cares tongue ? December 25th is Public holiday yipeee! Now Big Mo' (DBUH) got his own public holiday in Naija on 24th! That's double candy for us. Waiting on Sango, Amadioha, Osanobua e.t.c to have their own public holidays. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by linusbnn(m): 10:46am On Dec 25, 2015
Some parents alive today cannot tell you the exact date of their birth,but whichever date they chose to take is never questioned. Bible said what you agreed here on earth is also agreed in heaven. Since Christians have decided to celebrate christ birth every 25 Dec, it is also celebrated in Heaven. Trust me

9 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by successinlife: 10:47am On Dec 25, 2015
Nobody is claiming birth date accuracy for people born even in the seventeenth century,even my dad born in the 1935-40 could not get his real birthdate,so are all his mates,what we knew was that he was born on a friday thanks to the village market calculation.If people of 4th generation away from us do not know their date of birth,how on earth do you expect to know the right birth date of the past prophets?

The reason for the celebration is not to mark the exact date but to affirm that he did live on the planet earth,either he was born in january,
september or december is not important.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by CUM4WHAT(m): 10:48am On Dec 25, 2015
Whether he was born on d day or not.... prettythicksme remains my one and only
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by brunofarad(m): 10:48am On Dec 25, 2015
that wont stop me from eating BAE'S RICE TODAY grin
Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by lailo: 10:48am On Dec 25, 2015
Same question asked every year.Devil at work to cause confusion among christians.

3 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? by ichommy(m): 10:49am On Dec 25, 2015
grin grin grin Confusion everywhere

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Artist Draws Apostle Suleman & His Wife, Gives Him As Gift In Umuahia (pics) / Recent Pictures Of Coza's Pastor Fatoyinbo After 7-Month Battle With Stroke / Why True Christians See Leah Sheribu As A Huge Source Of Inspiration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.