Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:22 PM

Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) (54833 Views)

Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) / Horror In Two Sentences.. / Christmas Night(horror) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 4:19pm On Dec 25, 2015
A Short Story by Goodheart

The following story is purely a fictional work cut out of the writer's love for horror stories. So any
resemblance to any real life event or characters is purely coincidental.

WARNING!
The story harbours graphic description depicting real horror scenes. Reader's discretion is adviced.

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 4:21pm On Dec 25, 2015
**PROLOGUE:**

Spirits....Demons.....you think they never exist? So many have doubted the existence of this eerie beings
but forget that the Heavens once suffered violence during the war between Good and Bad, and everything
bad was cast down to the earth. Ever since, these beings have been hovering the earth in their countless
numbers looking for who to devour. They're everywhere....everyplace.....every corner. So be careful what
you wish for. A pair of eyes could be watching in the dark....don't say I didn't warn you **Evil Laugh**

1 Like 6 Shares

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 4:22pm On Dec 25, 2015
Chapter One - The Mansion

December 6, 1865 in the small quiet town of Fearville.
----------------------------------------------------

The big black carriage carrying Nate and Marie, rolled to a halt as the hooves of the black horses broke the innate silence on the cobbles. Nate and Marie were a southern couple with just a 5yr old daughter, Emily. They were new in Fearville and just moved into town from the city of Pensworth. They arrived by evening on that day and began unpacking their stuffs into the new mansion they had won in a lottery.

The old stone mansion had a castle-like appeal, with an eerie feeling surrounding it as it stood in the grotesque of the full moon which streamed it's light around it's contours. Though Marie was was happy for her new home (of course she was owing, to the fact that she and her husband had never dreamt of living in such a mansion. They were just struggling to make ends meet), yet something seemed strange as she stood before the carriage, staring around the vicinity. The town of Fearville seemed too quiet and creepy for her liking. The life within the little town of Fearville on that silvery night, can be said to be still, for the creaking of crickets and hooting of the night owls which scared the bats fluttering up in in he sky in their numbers. Silhouetted by the moon, Marie watched her daughter stare steadily at the hideous shadows of the bats swarming below on the cobble stones. Not too far from where they stood they could hear the whistling sounds of the night breeze whooshing through the dark narrow streets. No one seemed to be on the lonely streets, nor the neighborhood. The only human signs they saw were those of window curtains (in different buildings) sliding open as unfriendly faces peeped at them from their lantern illuminated rooms. The moment Marie tried to make out the unfriendly faces, the curtains were thrown close instantly. What a strange little town, she wondered. Well, atleast the change in environment would help cement the cracking relationship between she and Nate, since she couldn't afford to be a single parent.

"Come help me get this goddãmn boxes Marie!" Nate blew hot "Are you gonna stand there forever?"

"Sorry Nate, I'm coming" she pleaded, strutting towards the boxes as her dress billowed around her ankles.

Truth be told, Marie was a good wife with her traditional southern upbringing from her days in Palo Alto, Texas. While Nate her husband was a typical redneck of Polish descent, and a drunken bum who wouldn't miss the slightest opportunity of striking her at the flimsiest mistake. Despite Nate was in his late 50s, and Marie in her mid 30s, she had always loved and respected her husband just as it was expected of her. But what hurt her most was the fact that she wasn't getting back the love from Nate. Back when she was a girl she would dream of having a man who would adore and respect her for the woman she was. But for some selfish reasons her parents had bundled her off to old Nate and now here she was seeking succour in a man who never cared or flinched at the sight of her immeasurable beauty. Her body needed to be explored.....to be touched, and Nate wasn't ready to grant her that privilege. All romance ended when she conceived Emily, after which her husband took to excessive drinking and gambling.

The leather boxes had now been taken up the stairs and the carriage man paid off. So Marie and Emily decided to explore the house in that short moment (carrying a lantern) and discovered that the mansion was a big one. It housed 6 rooms and a spacious Sitting Room which had a large fireplace. Bedside the fireplace was a human size antic mirror which looked quite strange as it had gargoyles for frames and on the wall was the great painting of a 15th century lady looking so alive in such still portrait. Marie was fascinated by the still drawing and she stepped closer to have a look, bringing the oily lantern forward and staring into the face of the lady in the portrait. For a second she could feel the eyes of the lady piercing into her as she thought she had noticed the eye balls move. At that instant, there was a loud shriek form below her, startling her and she dropped the lantern as a white fluffy cat pranced the wooden floor and came cuddling Emily's legs. Marie watched her daughter step backwards in brief awe.

"Mum it's a cat" Emily whined

"Yeah...I can see that", Marie heaved in relief. Picking the bobbing lantern from the floor, she came to squat where the estranged cat sat."Guess it's a stray cat", she said."Or probably belonged to the former owners if this mansion". She extended her hand to cuddle it.

"Mum...can I keep him?", Emily asked

"Err....well..."

Marie hadn't made her statement when the large fluffy cat growled and scratched her, as she withdrew her hand instantly wincing in pains.

"I don't think it's a good idea Emily" she said."Ouch!"

"Please mum, I've never had a cat before" Emily chided."Besides he's homeless"

Marie was still squatted nursing her bleeding finger while Emily kept persisting on keeping the cat as the cat went again to cuddle at Emily's feet. Marie was not used to refusing her daughter anything. And she noticed the cat was warming up to her daughter lovingly. Well, a cat into the house was not a bad idea. Moreover it would come in handy in eradicating the rats which would be living in the house owing to the lack of human presence in a long while.

"Fine, you can keep him if you want" Marie said standing on her feet and picking up the lantern one more time.

"I'm gonna call him Winter, mum" Emily purred

"Yerr...call him whatever you like" replied Marie. "Come Emily, let's go find you a place to sleep for the night. The whole place is dusty and I'm gonna clean up tommorow"

Having said that, Emily scooped the purring cat into her arms and followed her behind her mother. But they didn't hear the strange chilly whisper that hushed within the sitting room they had just left.

It had now begun to rain and Emily was already tucked in bed. Marie came into the make shift bedroom (the main bedroom was still dusty) to find her husband Nate, already asleep. He reeked of alcohol as she came to lay on the left side of the bed, beside him. Nate lay facing the other way, snoring loudly and chuckling in his sleep. What a waste of a man, Marie wondered. She tried to sleep, stirring and shuffling in bed but the cold was getting much, robbing her of the sleep in her eyes. She wanted to be cuddled....to be romanced...to be made to feel like a woman. Her body desperately yearned for a man's touch. Too bad her husband was a drunken bum to notice her body language. Turning to face the opposite side, Marie watched the cascading rain slither down the large glass window with tears dripping from her eyes. And soon sleep came calling as she drifted into an emotion laden slumber.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 6:18pm On Dec 25, 2015
Na me first reach here?
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 8:39pm On Dec 25, 2015
donkross1:
Na me first reach here?

You're welcome bro.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2015
goodheart02:

You're welcome bro.

I full here gidibga. More updates abeg.

Sageez
Afz9095
Bellovers
Heemah
Rukkydelta
DandyPearl
Mattkent

Make una come see horror film oo.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nawtiblayse(m): 9:12pm On Dec 25, 2015
Goodheart is here again..... Following bro
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Rukkydelta(f): 9:25pm On Dec 25, 2015
donkross1:

Sageez Afz9095 Bellovers Heemah Rukkydelta DandyPearl Mattkent
thanks for inviting me
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Rukkydelta(f): 9:27pm On Dec 25, 2015
Nice one op
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 9:35pm On Dec 25, 2015
Rukkydelta:

thanks for inviting me
Come n sit beside me.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 9:55pm On Dec 25, 2015
Rukkydelta:
Nice one op

Thanks dearie
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 9:56pm On Dec 25, 2015
Nawtiblayse:
Goodheart is here again..... Following bro

Heyyy...I see you bro
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Afz9095(m): 10:38pm On Dec 25, 2015
donkross1:

Sageez
Afz9095
Bellovers
Heemah
Rukkydelta
DandyPearl
Mattkent

i will surely check it out 2moro till den i comment my reserve... Tanx
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by DandyPearl(f): 11:06pm On Dec 25, 2015
donkross1:

Sageez
Afz9095
Bellovers
Heemah
Rukkydelta
DandyPearl
Mattkent

horro Wetin u dey waka waka find sef! Chisus! Na horror remain now undecided I cover myself with all the ghost readers and non-humans blood on NL. Lemme just park for back seat close to the exit make I siddon. And if things get real scary I go run commot like Janelle. Heemah love r you here too also BTW I neva jam Mattkent sinx all dis days ooo. Abeg say cheese
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Afz9095(m): 6:55am On Dec 26, 2015
9c 1 op, next update?
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by heemah(f): 6:57am On Dec 26, 2015
donkross1:

Sageez
Afz9095
Bellovers
Heemah
Rukkydelta
DandyPearl
Mattkent

Thanks for d mention. Lemme quickly siddon beside dandypearl incase. Lol..
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 7:01am On Dec 26, 2015
heemah:

Thanks for d mention. Lemme quickly siddon beside dandypearl incase. Lol..

cheesy

DandyPearl:
horro Wetin u dey waka waka find sef! Chisus! Na horror remain now undecided I cover myself with all the ghost readers and non-humans blood on NL. Lemme just park for back seat close to the exit make I siddon. And if things get real scary I go run commot like Janelle. Heemah love r you here too also BTW I neva jam Mattkent sinx all dis days ooo. Abeg say cheese

grin fear fear girls

Afz9095:
9c 1 op, next update?

How far niccur ?
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by girlhaley(f): 8:09am On Dec 26, 2015
donkross1:

Sageez Afz9095 Bellovers Heemah Rukkydelta DandyPearl Mattkent

Welldone ooo donkross

I offend you,y u no fit mention me

Iffa catch you

Anyway,update us d story o
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Rukkydelta(f): 8:14am On Dec 26, 2015
donkross1:
Come n sit beside me.
thanks sweet heart
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 8:58am On Dec 26, 2015
girlhaley:

Welldone ooo donkross

I offend you,y u no fit mention me

Iffa catch you

Anyway,update us d story o

Choii no vex sweetie mu kiss
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by girlhaley(f): 9:14am On Dec 26, 2015
donkross1:

Choii no vex sweetie mu kiss

I no vex ooo
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 9:35am On Dec 26, 2015
girlhaley:

I no vex ooo

Oya kan siddon for my right side
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by girlhaley(f): 9:44am On Dec 26, 2015
donkross1:

Oya kan siddon for my right side

I dey come
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Sageez(m): 9:51am On Dec 26, 2015
donkross1:

Sageez
Afz9095
Bellovers
Heemah
Rukkydelta
DandyPearl
Mattkent

donkross1 u don waka pass me o, wel i don show. Dandypearl can I sit beside you?
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 10:08am On Dec 26, 2015
Sageez:
donkross1 u don waka pass me o, wel i don show. Dandypearl can I sit beside you?

grin
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 26, 2015
DandyPearl:

Miss pearl I've been here na. Mostly on ghost mode tho. Hope you chilling good?
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Afz9095(m): 9:02pm On Dec 26, 2015
donkross1:

cheesy

grin fear fear girls

How far niccur ?
i dey o... My xmass chicken nko?
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by stuff46(m): 7:44am On Dec 27, 2015
@goodheart02

Good story line you've got here, its gonna be a cool to the land of horror.

Two young couple with a young daughter of 5 and the parent are between age of 55 and Late 30's, i think it kindda contradicts. Try re-reading the first update and making necessary sentence reconstruction.

Good story you have got i say once again.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 7:52am On Dec 27, 2015
stuff46:
@goodheart02

Good story line you've got here, its gonna be a cool to the land of horror.

Two young couple with a young daughter of 5 and the parent are between age of 55 and Late 30's, i think it kindda contradicts. Try re-reading the first update and making necessary sentence reconstruction.

Good story you have got i say once again.

Thanks a lot bro. It was an omission. I corrected the explicit version in sexuality section but forgot this one here. Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by DandyPearl(f): 9:44am On Dec 27, 2015
Well... So far so good. I neva see any scary scene here. So I say abeg give us more updates biko
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2015
Alright guys. Let's continue
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 4:01pm On Dec 27, 2015
Chapter 2 - Emily
-------------------

The rains were now pouring hard with lightening ripping the dark sky and casting hideous shadows within
the mansion. Marie was now deep in slumber and falling into an abyss of nightmare....

"Emily.... Emily...." the chilly voice in her dreams whispered her daughters name down the stairs.

The dream looked so real and it was also raining like in real life as she could feel the goose bumps coat
her pink skin. In that dream she was all alone at home, and she got out of bed (still in the dream) and
followed the voice down the stairs. The stairway was pitch dark, but she kept walking ahead, trailing the
voice as if she was under a spell.

***Back in Emily's room***

Just like in her mother's dream, Emily could hear the voice too; but this time in real life. She heard the
first call of the creepy voice at the same time her mother fell into the nightmare. Emily stirred in bed and
turned to face the door
"Mummy?" she called "Is that you?"

There was no answer as the voice kept calling and the door slowly creaked open on it's own. Emily in her
childish innocence had hoped it was her mum and stepped out of bed. She turned around to look for the
cat but he was no where to be found. Gently walking through the door, she headed into the lonely dark
corridor of the mansion.

***Meanwhile, Marie's nightmare continues***

She was now down the first flight of stairs as the voice kept drawing backwards. It was as if each step
she took, the owner of the voice would step backwards too. She could hardly see her way through while
she walked, but the continuous flash of lightening created a luminescence that kept her going .

It was certain that a part of her was unconscious of her actions, while the other part really wanted to
know the source of the silent whispers. And as she came down to the ground floor, there was another
flash of lightening and in that brief moment she thought she saw the hem of someone's white night gown,
as the person swiftly walked into a room at the end of the corridor. Marie wanted to see who it was, so
she quickly strutted forward and came before the door to the room. Gradually she opened it (the room was
also pitch dark) and saw the figure of a little girl standing in the shadows with her back to her. With the
aid of the lightening, Marie noticed the little girl stood like Emily, but had a longer and darker hair than
that of Emily. And that got Marie confused if it was really her daughter, so she stepped forward into the
room....She was bound to find out.

"Emily... is that you?" Marie asked, but the figure remained motionless with her backside still facing the
door.

Marie now extended her hands carefully towards the figure, and immediately her hand fell on the shoulder
of the little figure, there was a bright flash of another lightening and the figure suddenly turned to face
Marie as she noticed the white popping eyes and bloodied face of the hideous being which made a loud
deafening scream......and Marie woke up swiftly from sleep, panting and sweating.

"What a nightmare", she muttered.

She turned sideways to see her husband still snoring loudly, that was when she remembered her daughter
Emily. Quickly she jumped out of bed and headed into Emily's room but she was not there. Then the
memory of the recent dream flashed in her mind and she feared that her daughter could be in danger.

"Oh my God! Emily!" she gasped clutching her breasts and ran downstairs, almost skidding off the
staircase as she came rushing into the sitting room.

Though the sitting room was also dark, she could make out the white nightgown of her daughter as she
sat (crossed legged) on the floor facing the large 15th century painting on the wall.

"Emily, what're you doing here?" she asked her daughter who turned to face her immediately.

"Mummy I heard my name downstairs" Emily said getting up and walking to hug her mum."Was it you?"

"No baby" she pecked her daughter "You were probably dreaming".

Something was definitely wrong Marie was beginning to notice. She had purposely told Emily it was all a
dream so as not to get her scared. That was when she (Marie) made up her mind to move the giant
painting down to the basement the next day while dusting the house.

"Come let's go back to bed", she said to Emily and they both climbed up the stairs without noticing a dark
figure zoom past the window outside.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Restless...story Of A Survivor. / A Strange Love (18+) / Nairaland Detection Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.