Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,208 members, 7,780,373 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:14 PM

Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) (54832 Views)

Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) / Horror In Two Sentences.. / Christmas Night(horror) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 28, 2015
Laveda:
Can't remember you. undecided
Ain't you modupe undecided
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Laveda(f): 11:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
Moezzy:
Ain't you modupe undecided
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Goodnight undecided

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 11:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
Answer me now, or else lalasticlala must hear this
Laveda:
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Goodnight undecided
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Barney11: 11:56pm On Dec 28, 2015
Reading this wen am all alone in the house,hope I go sleep.goodheart u no try*crying
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Strawman: 12:00am On Dec 29, 2015
12 midnight...abeg I'll read this in the morning cheesy
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by phantomiced(m): 12:14am On Dec 29, 2015
op. you got me hooked and walked away?? why evuls
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 12:38am On Dec 29, 2015
Hey pals....please expect an update tomorrow I beg.. Just coming back home quite tipsy not too long ago and managed to update my other thread in the sexuality section Titled "My Distraction 2". Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Love you all. **yawns**
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 12:44am On Dec 29, 2015
OMG! I'm on Front Page shocked

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Chijosky(m): 2:14am On Dec 29, 2015
*wakes up from sleep open NL saw the story checks time 2:14am runs out of NL*

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by tuzle(m): 3:41am On Dec 29, 2015
op see what u have caused now, i no fit go toilet go urinate and piss dey catch me die
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Dklef(m): 4:16am On Dec 29, 2015
Update please!
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by gwenj(f): 5:08am On Dec 29, 2015
Ooohhpee were are u neh?Come update abeg,u can't fit leave us like dis!
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Sexytemi(f): 7:00am On Dec 29, 2015
donkross1:

Long straw kwaa grin nawa oo. Oya take. Enjoy your movie.

okay...thanks....lol, the straw is for me not to distract myself from reading while drinking o... and good morning, slept off while waiting for d op o.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 7:17am On Dec 29, 2015
Harbigail:
Uhm,1 full chicken and a very chilled yoghurt 2go wit it...dat shld be all 4 nw.tnx

grin okay oo.

Sexytemi:

okay...thanks....lol, the straw is for me not to distract myself from reading while drinking o... and good morning, slept off while waiting for d op o.

Lol alright.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Tgold1(m): 7:44am On Dec 29, 2015
Tchoi......... Why am I so late My best kinda stOry na I'm I jonze ontop like dis....... E no good o
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Mekky05(m): 7:58am On Dec 29, 2015
Op... Cum and update na, abi the goodheart is no longer good again? Following thread sharpaly!
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 29, 2015
Do you want this writer to get a little reward?Nominate this story for Story of the Month award here. https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=2818004
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by eROCK247(m): 8:19am On Dec 29, 2015
I think I'm going to love this...following.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Methylblack(m): 8:22am On Dec 29, 2015
holmez:
then i dnt get d FTC talk :-/
I mean first to comment on that page
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Methylblack(m): 9:15am On Dec 29, 2015
donkross1:

cheesy cheesy just dz once sha. The least we sell is 1k oo.
Lets do it this way...give me a bottle on credit...i'll pay you wen buhari commence the payment of our 5k next year grin
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 9:42am On Dec 29, 2015
Methylblack:

Lets do it this way...give me a bottle on credit...i'll pay you wen buhari commence the payment of our 5k next year grin

grin Buhari kwaa. You go owe me forever be that oo.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 29, 2015
Op after i dont see you in the next 15 minutes, i will start wrappin my bini weed right here, come laveda and sexytemi i go have 3some with ya'll, make una go buy that thing from chemist come back jare.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Sexytemi(f): 9:59am On Dec 29, 2015
Randyhot:
Op after i dont see you in the next 15 minutes, i will start wrappin my bini weed right here, come laveda and sexytemi i go have 3some with ya'll, make una go buy that thing from chemist come back jare.

lol...buy wetin o?....
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Laveda(f): 10:04am On Dec 29, 2015
Randyhot:
Buy what? angry
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Idydarling(f): 10:13am On Dec 29, 2015
nice story op, updates abeg
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 29, 2015
goodheart02:
Chapter One - The Mansion

December 6, 1865 in the small quiet town of Fearville.
----------------------------------------------------

The big black carriage carrying Nate and Marie, rolled to a halt as the hooves of the black horses broke the innate silence on the cobbles. Nate and Marie were a southern couple with just a 5yr old daughter, Emily. They were new in Fearville and just moved into town from the city of Pensworth. They arrived by evening on that day and began unpacking their stuffs into the new mansion they had won in a lottery.

The old stone mansion had a castle-like appeal, with an eerie feeling surrounding it as it stood in the grotesque of the full moon which streamed it's light around it's contours. Though Marie was was happy for her new home (of course she was owing, to the fact that she and her husband had never dreamt of living in such a mansion. They were just struggling to make ends meet), yet something seemed strange as she stood before the carriage, staring around the vicinity. The town of Fearville seemed too quiet and creepy for her liking. The life within the little town of Fearville on that silvery night, can be said to be still, for the creaking of crickets and hooting of the night owls which scared the bats fluttering up in in he sky in their numbers. Silhouetted by the moon, Marie watched her daughter stare steadily at the hideous shadows of the bats swarming below on the cobble stones. Not too far from where they stood they could hear the whistling sounds of the night breeze whooshing through the dark narrow streets. No one seemed to be on the lonely streets, nor the neighborhood. The only human signs they saw were those of window curtains (in different buildings) sliding open as unfriendly faces peeped at them from their lantern illuminated rooms. The moment Marie tried to make out the unfriendly faces, the curtains were thrown close instantly. What a strange little town, she wondered. Well, atleast the change in environment would help cement the cracking relationship between she and Nate, since she couldn't afford to be a single parent.

"Come help me get this goddãmn boxes Marie!" Nate blew hot "Are you gonna stand there forever?"

"Sorry Nate, I'm coming" she pleaded, strutting towards the boxes as her dress billowed around her ankles.

Truth be told, Marie was a good wife with her traditional southern upbringing from her days in Palo Alto, Texas. While Nate her husband was a typical redneck of Polish descent, and a drunken bum who wouldn't miss the slightest opportunity of striking her at the flimsiest mistake. Despite Nate was in his late 50s, and Marie in her mid 30s, she had always loved and respected her husband just as it was expected of her. But what hurt her most was the fact that she wasn't getting back the love from Nate. Back when she was a girl she would dream of having a man who would adore and respect her for the woman she was. But for some selfish reasons her parents had bundled her off to old Nate and now here she was seeking succour in a man who never cared or flinched at the sight of her immeasurable beauty. Her body needed to be explored.....to be touched, and Nate wasn't ready to grant her that privilege. All romance ended when she conceived Emily, after which her husband took to excessive drinking and gambling.

The leather boxes had now been taken up the stairs and the carriage man paid off. So Marie and Emily decided to explore the house in that short moment (carrying a lantern) and discovered that the mansion was a big one. It housed 6 rooms and a spacious Sitting Room which had a large fireplace. Bedside the fireplace was a human size antic mirror which looked quite strange as it had gargoyles for frames and on the wall was the great painting of a 15th century lady looking so alive in such still portrait. Marie was fascinated by the still drawing and she stepped closer to have a look, bringing the oily lantern forward and staring into the face of the lady in the portrait. For a second she could feel the eyes of the lady piercing into her as she thought she had noticed the eye balls move. At that instant, there was a loud shriek form below her, startling her and she dropped the lantern as a white fluffy cat pranced the wooden floor and came cuddling Emily's legs. Marie watched her daughter step backwards in brief awe.

"Mum it's a cat" Emily whined

"Yeah...I can see that", Marie heaved in relief. Picking the bobbing lantern from the floor, she came to squat where the estranged cat sat."Guess it's a stray cat", she said."Or probably belonged to the former owners if this mansion". She extended her hand to cuddle it.

"Mum...can I keep him?", Emily asked

"Err....well..."

Marie hadn't made her statement when the large fluffy cat growled and scratched her, as she withdrew her hand instantly wincing in pains.

"I don't think it's a good idea Emily" she said."Ouch!"

"Please mum, I've never had a cat before" Emily chided."Besides he's homeless"

Marie was still squatted nursing her bleeding finger while Emily kept persisting on keeping the cat as the cat went again to cuddle at Emily's feet. Marie was not used to refusing her daughter anything. And she noticed the cat was warming up to her daughter lovingly. Well, a cat into the house was not a bad idea. Moreover it would come in handy in eradicating the rats which would be living in the house owing to the lack of human presence in a long while.

"Fine, you can keep him if you want" Marie said standing on her feet and picking up the lantern one more time.

"I'm gonna call him Winter, mum" Emily purred

"Yerr...call him whatever you like" replied Marie. "Come Emily, let's go find you a place to sleep for the night. The whole place is dusty and I'm gonna clean up tommorow"

Having said that, Emily scooped the purring cat into her arms and followed her behind her mother. But they didn't hear the strange chilly whisper that hushed within the sitting room they had just left.

It had now begun to rain and Emily was already tucked in bed. Marie came into the make shift bedroom (the main bedroom was still dusty) to find her husband Nate, already asleep. He reeked of alcohol as she came to lay on the left side of the bed, beside him. Nate lay facing the other way, snoring loudly and chuckling in his sleep. What a waste of a man, Marie wondered. She tried to sleep, stirring and shuffling in bed but the cold was getting much, robbing her of the sleep in her eyes. She wanted to be cuddled....to be romanced...to be made to feel like a woman. Her body desperately yearned for a man's touch. Too bad her husband was a drunken bum to notice her body language. Turning to face the opposite side, Marie watched the cascading rain slither down the large glass window with tears dripping from her eyes. And soon sleep came calling as she drifted into an emotion laden slumber.

Generally a good read.

However, your play of words and construction could use a little work.

Some of your word play is throwing the story off. You mean to say one thing but end up saying something else or didn't quite drive home the point.

Seems to me like someone who is testing the waters. I know there is more in there. You just need to dig deeper.

Find a good editor and you may on to a potential bestseller.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by adexmuhyi(m): 10:56am On Dec 29, 2015
nice write up OP, but please proceed in no time
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Methylblack(m): 11:08am On Dec 29, 2015
donkross1:

grin Buhari kwaa. You go owe me forever be that oo.
lol...just have faith that we shall get d money
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 12:11pm On Dec 29, 2015
Chapter 3 - Pawning
------------------------

She was now walking down the lonely corridor, barefooted and quite sleepy. Something had woken Marie from her slumber in the middle of the night, but she couldn't really tell what it was as she walked. Suddenly she stopped walking and heard it......the eerie giggles came once again down the corridor leading to the bathroom. It sounded like the giggles of children in play mood. Of course it can't be her daughter Emily, she had just tucked Emily back in bed an hour ago. She could feel her heart thumping in her chest as the giggles kept sounding and accompanied by strange whispers. Marie looked down the corridor and thought she saw a shadow lurking in darkness as the chilly wind blew her blonde hair in billows. Summoning courage, she took a slow step forward.

She was now few metres away from the bathroom door and SWOOSH!!...she felt something zoom passed behind her. And she instinctively turned back but saw nothing. Her heart thumped louder....her spine felt chilly and her blood flowed rapidly through her veins. Now there was no going back for her. Whatever it was, was now right at her back. She could clearly hear the giggles coming from the bathroom, but the whispers were no more.. Carefully she stretched her hand towards the door, and on reaching it, she wound the knob as the door gently creaked open.

Marie stepped on the bathroom floor and felt water under her feet. That was when she heard the trickling sound of water which kept dropping slowly and continuously Plop! Plop!! Plop!!..breaking the eerie silence within. She had also noticed that the bathroom floor was all flooded with water as she took the bobbing lantern hanging on the wall. Who could have turned on the faucet? she wondered as she walked towards the bath tub which was already full and gradually over flowing with the trickles of water still dropping from the nuzzle of the faucet. It was now clear that someone had filled up the tub and turned off the faucet. Something strange was happening. Suddenly the bathroom door slammed close BAM! (startling her) and the whistling wind blew through the open window, flickering the flames of the lantern.

For a second she saw something move within the water in the tub and she bent over the tub bringing the lantern closer but saw only her reflection (on the water surfàce) which was distorted owing to the ripples. She was about standing erect when there was a loud shriek and suddenly her reflection stretched its hand, pulling her down into the water as she she struggled and gasped for air.........Alas! she jerked awake from sleep....her heart beating within her ears, her forehead sweating. It had all been a nightmare.

Marie looked outside the window to see the twilight leaking into the room. It was already morning and here she was having a nightmare. She wiped the sweat from her forehead and clasped her face within her palms, puffing out air. How could she have two strange dreams all in one night, she wondered. This was the first time she was experiencing this and something told her it won't be the last. Then she roamed her eyes all around the room. Could it be there was something strange going on within the mansion? She turned sideways to look at her husband and for the first time that morning she noticed that Nate was no longer in bed. So she called on him.

"Nate?" she called getting out of bed as the sweat dripped down her torso to her thighs. "Nate?" she called again, but there was no response.

Giddily she walked out of the room and met Emily playing with her new cat Winter on the floor at the corridor.

"Goodmorning mum" Emily greeted in her tender voice.

"Hey pumpkin, you're awake so early" Marie said squatting to peck her daughter in the forehead. "Have you seen your dad?"

"Yes mummy. Dad brought a carriage man....said he was going to get some logs for the fireplace"

"Oh yeah that's true. The snow is almost here" Marie nodded. "We need that fireplace you know. Dad is a good man"

"But why does he hit you mummy?" Emily asked stroking her cat.

"Erm...I think I have to go clean up the house now" Marie replied as she tried to avert her daughter's question.

Marie didn't want to give her daughter the impression that things were not going well between she and her father. She couldn't deny the fact that Emily has noticed Nate's aggressive nature of recent , but some things were best kept away from kids.

Nate came came back home by noon, and before you knew it, the fireplace was already up and burning. They were very fortunate he had gone for the woods because the first snow for that year came flaking down from the grey winter skies not too long after he had left. It had been a delayed winter actually, but it was finally here and bringing the real feeling of Christmas alongside it. By the time Marie was through with cleaning the whole house, Nate was already mounting the Christmas tree which he had bought from an elm farm.

Just as she had decided earlier, Marie moved the 15th century painting down the stuffy basement. She had wanted to move the giant gargoyle mirror too, but had a second thought of leaving it in place. There were other old wares and artifacts she had recovered from the shelve and dinning while cleaning. To her, those stuffs made the sitting room crowdy and ancient, so she decided to pawn some of the artifacts. At least they were in dire need of money for the Christmas and pawning the items sounded like a good idea. Sliding on her winter coat, Marie gathered the items into a leather bag and left the house on her way to the nearest pawn shop.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Barney11: 12:27pm On Dec 29, 2015
Pls continue,I dey follow up sharpally
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by gwenj(f): 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2015
Nxt chapter oohhhpee...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Strange Love (18+) / Nairaland Detection Club / Jewel From The Ghetto 2: Return Of Shakirah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.