Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,777 members, 7,802,386 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. - Jobs/Vacancies (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (76710 Views)

Five Things I Would Learn To Do If I Was Jobless / Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Deluxever(m): 7:21am On Dec 28, 2015
Rationalmind you just made my day with this.......thanks a million

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by trenlog: 8:22am On Dec 28, 2015
Thanks for this great piece of invaluable information. I wish to connect with you because as a fresh graduate its important to learn from the experience of people like you who have been there. My WhatsApp no is 08138221560.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by odimbannamdi(m): 8:22am On Dec 28, 2015
Rationalmind, thanks for the good job you are doing.

However, i have 2 questions to ask:

1. In line with what i read on another thread, i have decided to add my CGPA to my CV. In what section of my CV do you think i should add it?

2. Ever since i was little, i have always played an active role in my mum's pharmaceutical cum provision shop. It suddenly occurred to me that it is a salient work experience in itself. So i have decided to add it to my CV. What do you think? and in what possible way can i add it.

thanks
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by trenlog: 8:23am On Dec 28, 2015
@rational mind Thanks for this great piece of invaluable information. I wish to connect with you because as a fresh graduate its important to learn from the experience of people like you who have been there. My WhatsApp no is 08138221560.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by sparkleice(f): 8:49am On Dec 28, 2015
LaurelP:

UNN 2012 also.
u stay in Lagos?
yurls..
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Gerrard59(m): 9:15am On Dec 28, 2015
odimbannamdi:

1. In line with what i read on another thread, i have decided to add my CGPA to my CV. In what section of my CV do you think i should add it?

2. Ever since i was little, i have always played an active role in my mum's pharmaceutical cum provision shop. It suddenly occurred to me that it is a salient work experience in itself. So i have decided to add it to my CV. What do you think? and in what possible way can i add it.

thanks

For an entry level( which means you have little or no working experience) position

Gerrard59
0801234567. 48, ABC Street, ABC ROAD. Gerrard59@gmail.com. (Depending on the position and industry, you can add your LinkedIn account)

INVESTMENT BANKING ANALYST INTERN
Your objectives should be succinct and tailored towards the industry and company you intend applying to. Every vacancy requires a different personal profile even if they are in the same industry. Don't send a CV meant for Zenith Bank to Vetiva Capital Management. Avoid prolixity.

EDUCATION
Your tertiary institution should come first. Year of graduation or expected graduation for intern-ship students.
Grade obtained. Ensure you include your grade and qualifications. If you made/have a strong 2.1(4.0 and above) include ditto, if you made a high First Class(4.7/5.0). It's your first impression, so impress.

SKILLS/ LEADERSHIP
Language skills( bilingual). Computer skills. Leadership positions. Awards and Achievements and any skill you know would be priceless to the firm. Although, if you have a whole lot of them you can make a separate section for it. Be honest as much as possible, better to have one skill than lie about many.

WORK EXPERIENCE

You are an entry level; unless you posses an array of work experiences this should come last. Where you have worked and your tasks and results. Responsibilities assigned to you and the final outcome(s).

Say, for a firm in the hospitality industry: Don't write, I was in charge of receiving guests and making them feel comfortable.
Rather, I was responsible for the environmental sanitization of the firm premises which resulted in increased customers' referral, thereby increasing profitability by 4%.

References can be on request. Unless stated, don't include religion, state of origin, relationship status. That's not the HR concern. If age is stated in the vacancy, include your date of birth. Don't write curriculum vitae at the top, everyone knows it's CV you're sending.

My humble opinion.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by sparkleice(f): 9:49am On Dec 28, 2015
LaurelP:

UNN 2012 also.
u stay in Lagos?
yes I'm in Lagos
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ewosk: 11:36am On Dec 28, 2015
rationalmind:
@ewosk
Greetings boss. Long time.
Where are you? Ib or Warri
Warri for the festivities
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by stephano100(m): 11:59am On Dec 28, 2015
Gerrard59:

For an entry level( which means you have little or no working experience) position

Gerrard59
0801234567. 48, ABC Street, ABC ROAD. Gerrard59@gmail.com. (Depending on the position and industry, you can add your LinkedIn account)

Your objectives should be succinct and tailored towards the industry and company you intend applying to. Every vacancy requires a different personal profile even if they are in the same industry. Don't send a CV meant for Zenith Bank to Vetiva Capital Management. Avoid prolixity.

EDUCATION
Your tertiary institution should come first. Year of graduation or expected graduation for intern-ship students.
Grade obtained. Ensure you include your grade and qualifications. If you made/have a strong 2.1(4.0 and above) include ditto, if you made a high First Class(4.7/5.0). It's your first impression, so impress.

SKILLS/ LEADERSHIP
Language skills( bilingual). Computer skills. Leadership positions. Awards and Achievements and any skill you know would be priceless to the firm. Although, if you have a whole lot of them you can make a separate section for it. Be honest as much as possible, better to have one skill than lie about many.

WORK EXPERIENCE

You are an entry level; unless you posses an array of work experiences this should come last. Where you have worked and your tasks and results. Responsibilities assigned to you and the final outcome(s).

Say, for a firm in the hospitality industry: Don't write, I was in charge of receiving guests and making them feel comfortable.
Rather, I was responsible for the environmental sanitization of the firm premises which resulted in increased customers' referral, thereby increasing profitability by 4%.

References can be on request. Unless stated, don't include religion, state of origin, relationship status. That's not the HR concern. If age is stated in the vacancy, include your date of birth. Don't write curriculum vitae at the top, everyone knows it's CV you're sending.

My humble opinion.
tnx 4dis info
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by noordean(m): 12:14pm On Dec 28, 2015
Rationalmind you are good. I've known that for long, right from B'14.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 28, 2015
zieraw2005:

Stupendous!!!!
Hey Come Rationalmind, don't tell me you are really this mind blowing. Guy you have just swept me off my feet. God bless your brain. Wish I personally would be permitted to connect with you even if its via Whatsapp, BBM or Facebook. Guy you surely will be of help to me. I have many job interviews lined up for 2016. Pls I will be deeply happy if u can oblige my request.

Thank you brother. One love.
Though I goofed, I also learned my Lessons.

The woman HR in d bank wanted me to say praises to their bank.

But your dimension is a new idea to me.
Whatsapp 08138681191

Thank you Brother

I'm glad the nonsense I wrote made sense. Lol. I'll add you on whatsapp so we converse better.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
iphiy:

@rational mind please permit me to share my own experience on the LIE aspect.
I was at an interview sometime ago. It was going smoothly as expected because I prepared very well. The vacancy advert needed somebody from a specified location (V. I precisely) and I'm based in mainland. I needed the job desperately that I lied about my location. I told them I stay with my cousin brother who just rented an apartment in V.I close to Eko hotel. I blew up more questions because I didn't put my forged address in my CV and I couldn't tell them the address when asked because I know no where. The interviewer started asking about the profile of the acclaimed cousin to weigh if he can actually rent an apartment in VI. I tried answering and elongating my lies. He knew I was lying and next thing he said was "if u are a Christian, then truly be one". My dear I nearly fainted. I couldn't talk again, I left the office disgraced..
The few persons that spoke frankly about their distanced location got the job.
I learnt that like seriously. Maybe I'm not pro @lies.
Please keep off lying no matter what.

grin I'll quote Sam Harris

"One of the greatest problems for the liar is that he must keep track of his lies. Some people are better at this than others"

The statement above perfectly summarises the problem you'll have had you gotten the job. Every time you get late to work cos of traffic, you'll have to lie your way out and before you know it, the lie keeps multiplying that it becomes difficult to track.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 28, 2015
Tolution1:
Hi rationalmind, this post is one of the most enlightening piece I’ve read on Nairaland. I wish to thank you for taking the courage, effort and time to write and share this great piece.

I just graduated and seriously considering a career in telecommunication; now under “ACTING OUT PASSION WORKS” you said ajasa4link’s method worked for you, can you please share with me his methods and how you were able to get their contact smiley.

I’m also curious about how you used text message and it's content shocked

And I would appreciate if you could kindly please share your contacts with me. I’ve also sent you a request here on NL

I'll suggest you go through the thread for better understanding. Here is it

https://www.nairaland.com/2658094/yes-people-still-get-jobs

And I've replied your pm. Sorry for the lateness, network is a challenge here
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 28, 2015

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 28, 2015
odimbannamdi:

However, i have 2 questions to ask:

Is this really necessary? I mean adding your CGPA. Or are there underlying stuffs like proximity to a 2:1 or proximity to a first class?

thanks

Yes, it's a work experience in itself. I'll suggest you create a subsection for leadership roles and add it.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 28, 2015
noordean:
Rationalmind you are good.
I've known that for long, right from B'14.

I feel flattered. cheesy. Thanks bro
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by gmacnoms(m): 1:16pm On Dec 28, 2015
ksstroud:

You can apply for KPMG 3weeks job... Use Google
thanks a lot. I'll do just that
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by odimbannamdi(m): 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2015
Gerrard59:

Gerrard59

EDUCATION

SKILLS/ LEADERSHIP

WORK EXPERIENCE

My humble opinion.

thanks. i appreciate your answer, but you didnt answer second question precisely
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by odimbannamdi(m): 1:48pm On Dec 28, 2015
rationalmind:

Is this really necessary? I mean adding your CGPA. Or are there underlying stuffs like proximity to a 2:1 or proximity to a first class?

Yes, it's a work experience in itself. I'll suggest you create a subsection for leadership roles and add it.

i had a near 2.1, 3.4 precisely. However, am asking because i once applied for an H.R. job whose minimum requirement was a 2.2. After sending my CV, i got a reply from them demanding i indicate my CGPA, which i did.

Although i wasnt called for a test, most likely coz of my inexperience, i discovered that indicating one's CGPA seem to save recruiters the stress of filtering candidates based on that.

My opinion is subject to review thougj
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2015
@ajasa4link boss pls I sent u a pm
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by owolabiza(m): 3:25pm On Dec 28, 2015
sparkleice:
;DI can't stp laffing .ds has happen to me too one interviwe I went for,the interviewr ws like miss Mercy kindly tell us wat business mgt s all abt? Chai,my 4yrs course...dat moment just like village pple were playng drum. Wt my brainI ws taikng out of point..common my streng& weaknesses I cud nt explain well.I ws tod we wil gt bak to u.whn I step out I cud nt stp laffing wt d rubbish point I spewed out.

I can't just stop laffing
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Gerrard59(m): 4:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
odimbannamdi:

thanks. i appreciate your answer, but you didnt answer second question precisely
WORK EXPERIENCE

You have to sit down and think of the tasks you handled while working in your mum's pharmacy store. In my case, I have managed my mom's hotel, injected new ideas into the business which has catapulted a 10 rooms hospitality outfit to a 50-room fully furnished edifice.
So just take a memory down the road and think of what ideas, responsibilities assigned, money managed you took responsibilities for.

Wish you the very best in your chosen career.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
When will rationalmind share his dasuki salary for awon boys? Abeg make una alert me when e reach that page.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by sparkleice(f): 10:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
grin
owolabiza:

I can't just stop laffing
grin Lol .. Vry funmy oo.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by eipreel(f): 7:04am On Dec 29, 2015
Chrisbenogor:
When will rationalmind share his dasuki salary for awon boys? Abeg make una alert me when e reach that page.
Na that one me sef dey wait for grin
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by LaurelP(m): 7:43am On Dec 29, 2015
sparkleice:
yes I'm in Lagos

I've PM'd you.
Pls reply
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by harrwix(m): 9:04am On Dec 29, 2015
Thanks rationalmind....you the best
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by tafrica(m): 11:35am On Dec 29, 2015
@ rationalmind, how do I contact you? I want to inquire something about artificial intelligence from you please.
I'll appreciate your reply. Thanks.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by tafrica(m): 11:44am On Dec 29, 2015
@ rationalmind, how do I contact you? I want to inquire something about artificial intelligence from you please.
I'll appreciate your reply. Thanks.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 29, 2015
Gerrard59:

SKILLS/ LEADERSHIP

Can a social position held in school and position held as a member in a CDS group during NYSC,be considered as a leadership position to be imbedded in a CV?
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Gerrard59(m): 12:25pm On Dec 29, 2015
Linqsz:

Can a social position held in school and position held as a member in a CDS group during NYSC,be considered as a leadership position to be imbedded in a CV?

Yes it can. Although you have to enumerate concisely and elucidate your activities when you held such positions. I would recommend the position in which you made more impact to be included than just spam the CV with obscure leadership roles. Like OP said, make them bullet points.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by WaffenSS(m): 12:42pm On Dec 29, 2015
ksstroud:

Hmmmm... Well some peeps can disagree ooooo
But there's no course of study ever, that doesn't have flexibility of being related to all life dealings....
It is all a matter of preparation and digging deep on what to deliver... Being a graduate, the ideal is you are a potential manager...
I can be a fishery graduate and reflect my knowledge in oil and gas.. A fine artist, relating his course in auditing.. And so on

I'm not a job seeker or anything, I just came to read signatures.

Boy, did yours knock me right out grin

Claps.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Nigeria Customs Service Applicants 2018 Thread / This Man Wants A Job At The Mortuary But He Failed His First Test (photos) / N-Power Teacher Corps: FG Begins Recruitment Of 500k Unemployed Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.